ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm and Purdue killing it again.

Why would anyone be more impressed with Brohm? Results are very similar. Plus you would be paying 2-3 million more annually for potentially the same results.

I think Brohm would be fine but if people actually think they would start winning 9-10 games annually are seeing things I don’t see. He doesn’t recruit at that level. His defenses aren’t great. The data tells you he is going to be middle of the road.

All this board is worried about is wins, no clue why people are more impressed with Brohm. Keep in mind the Big 10 West is like the ACC Coastal, not exactly a juggernaut.
Replacing Satterfield with Brohm isn’t the question. I have supported Satterfield and dismissed talk about Brohm because of the very financial issue you mention.

The assertion was that recruits are more impressed with Satterfield. I question the factual basis for that or that recruits even feel that way. And I welcome the guy who said it to provide his evidence if there is any…

I posed that same question, specifically for the “who and how” this 2023 recruiting class has risen beyond anything we have witnessed here? It is easy to speculate, but if it is NIL, it should be identified in the same manner that HVL has been reported.

Reactions: Mayoman
There’s discussion because it’s a message board FFS. It was also a discussion that began based upon 3+ years of mediocrity. We’re all happy about the last four wins and hopeful that it continues - and if it does then the talk of dumping Satterfield will dissipate or, will be replaced by talk of which Carolina school he’s looking to move to.

The fact that Brohm and his family have been such prominent members of the UofL football program is exactly the reason why he deserves respect. Suggesting that he doesn’t deserve respect because he failed to dump Purdue a year after he was hired, is childish at best and it’s ironic that you would instead bestow that respect and loyalty on a guy who tried to jump ship after year one and has stayed here primarily out of a lack of offers based upon his
Replacing Satterfield with Brohm isn’t the question. I have supported Satterfield and dismissed talk about Brohm because of the very financial issue you mention.

The assertion was that recruits are more impressed with Satterfield. I question the factual basis for that or that recruits even feel that way. And I welcome the guy who said it to provide his evidence if there is any…
I am responding to the trend that states clearly Brohm is better than Satterfield. I agree with you we could plug any coach in the equation. There aren’t many options that a clearly better than Satterfield.

As of today the fact is the recruits are coming to Louisville and Satterfield is the coach. It seems like an impossible situation for Satterfield. Best class in history and he gets zero credit for building it. If NIL is the only reason the end of year decision will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: earsky
I like JB. I like what he did at UL.

I do find it ironic that, as a Schnellenberger player, he doesn’t respect defense.

I certainly hope he finds great success. At Purdue.

Because, the longer they just mumble dick along, the dumber we look as a fanbase hanging on his nut sack.

Let him build a defense, and quit following the BP playbook, then maybe talk.

For now I have go with Satt, win at least one more regular season game, and bring this class in.

Then Roll ‘em. Maybe we finally hit some 7’s. ;)

I thought Satt had to go no matter what. Now it’s “if the position becomes available “… it never ceases to amaze me how those who attack CSS and demand his termination shout the “no excuses” mantra but seem to pull out a whole bag of excuses for Brohm.
Got to let things play out. Right, the Syracuse, FSU and BC losses, I think the majority was like, he's got to go. Now he's won Pitt, Virginia, Wake and James Madison, but why does that mean "contract extension?" Devils advocate. Lets say we go to Clemson without Malik (injured hand) get our asses handed to us and then lose the next 3... Finish 6-6? Who can absolutely say that can't happen? Let it play out.

I think the only thing I see is that Satt vs Brohm arguments are irrelevant. The data shows they’re in the same range. If we ever fire Satt, we can do MUCH better than Brohm.

If we make a move, let’s make a big step up.

Nothing about Brohm at Purdue shows he’s some offensive guru. He just seems like a watered down Bobby Petrino without any real QB development. I don’t watch his teams and see some crisp offensive attack, I just see above average with a ceiling of having a big day sometimes.

National "opinions"... a couple links.. going into the season

JB#40, SS#43 in the above.

Both in "Tier 3" in the below.

I think the only thing I see is that Satt vs Brohm arguments are irrelevant. The data shows they’re in the same range. If we ever fire Satt, we can do MUCH better than Brohm.

If we make a move, let’s make a big step up.

Nothing about Brohm at Purdue shows he’s some offensive guru. He just seems like a watered down Bobby Petrino without any real QB development. I don’t watch his teams and see some crisp offensive attack, I just see above average with a ceiling of having a big day sometimes.
Its easy to find flaws in your statements. If they are in the same range, you have to ask yourself what separates them? For me, Brohm has a vested interest in the town he grew up in and played football for. Granted that means he can't fail. On the other hand, Satterfield wanted to leave town as soon as the stove got a little warm. Secondly, how can you judge his offensive coaching? You admit you don't watch their games, only looking at the score and records. I think you'll find there won't be as many head scratching decisions made as consistently running the ball up the middle on 4th and 2..

Also I think you are delusional to think we would get some top ranked coach to come here... Even Schnellenberger was past his prime... Urban Meyer? Maybe Nick Saban when he leaves Bama...

Reactions: BPGhost
I get the argument that if Brohm comes here and does well he'll stay for a long time. But based on his lackluster/mediocre/average results at Purdue, I think a Scott Frost result is more likely. I'd say 70-30 Frost.

I get the argument that if Brohm comes here and does well he'll stay for a long time. But based on his lackluster/mediocre/average results at Purdue, I think a Scott Frost result is more likely. I'd say 70-30 Frost.
No one knows what would happen until it did happen but, there’s just nothing factual or numbers based to back up your assertion. Here are some actual numbers that you might want to consider.

1. In the 5 years prior to Frost being hired at Nebraska - their record was 37-27.

2. In the 5 years prior to Brohm being hired at Purdoo - their record was 9-39.

3. Frost was 16-31 at Nebraska.

4. In the same time frame - Brohm was 24-23.

How - based upon that - could you possibly say that it’s 70-30 in favor of Brohm being as bad at UofL (in an easier conference) as Frost was at Nebraska?

I mean I get that we live in an age where feelings trump facts (pun intended) but that’s freaking ridiculous.

Reactions: nccardfan
Please show me where OR when I "suggested" that JB doesn't deserve respect because he failed to dump Purdue? I have nothing but respect for JB and the entire Brohm family but they (Jeff) have made their choice and I choose to be loyal to UofL. Jeff chose to remain at Purdue which is his perfect right, but I do not support Purdue because my loyalty lies with UofL. That is where I went to school and have supported for more than 50 years. And they have supported me as well. Just my own personal opinion.
Perhaps I misunderstood your comment regarding Brohm.

“And simply because JB is a local guy and a UofL alum is NOT enough to warrant any loyalty from our fanbase. Until JB shows us the respect (and loyalty) we deserve then I'll take guys like CSS each and every time.”

Where / when has Brohm not shown UofL or it’s fans respect? And exactly what type of loyalty do you expect from him? FTR - I’m not talking about any of that silly bullshit - which isn’t germane to the discussion IMO.

For me, I t’s only and always about who would do the best job for the program.

Why would anyone be more impressed with Brohm? Results are very similar. Plus you would be paying 2-3 million more annually for potentially the same results.

I think Brohm would be fine but if people actually think they would start winning 9-10 games annually are seeing things I don’t see. He doesn’t recruit at that level. His defenses aren’t great. The data tells you he is going to be middle of the road.

All this board is worried about is wins, no clue why people are more impressed with Brohm. Keep in mind the Big 10 West is like the ACC Coastal, not exactly a juggernaut.
The numbers tell a different story about whether or not their results are similar.

1. In the 5 years prior to Satterfield being hired at UofL - the team’s record was 36-26. His record since taking over a program 10 games over .500 is 24-22.

Brohm’s record since taking over a team 30 games under .500 is 24-23.

The B1G is a more difficult conference and purdoo is certainly a more difficult school to recruit to based upon academics.

Its easy to find flaws in your statements. If they are in the same range, you have to ask yourself what separates them? For me, Brohm has a vested interest in the town he grew up in and played football for. Granted that means he can't fail. On the other hand, Satterfield wanted to leave town as soon as the stove got a little warm. Secondly, how can you judge his offensive coaching? You admit you don't watch their games, only looking at the score and records. I think you'll find there won't be as many head scratching decisions made as consistently running the ball up the middle on 4th and 2..

Also I think you are delusional to think we would get some top ranked coach to come here... Even Schnellenberger was past his prime... Urban Meyer? Maybe Nick Saban when he leaves Bama...
Because Brohm is from here that’ll make him a better coach?

Let’s be clear, if Jeff Brohm was that good it would show by now. He is what he is at Purdue and it’s pretty much average to above average.

How many jobs have come open since he’s been at Purdue that he’s been a candidate? Seriously, what big time program has come for him? Tennessee did during that joke of a coaching search in 2017, that’s it.

Look at the jobs that have come open since 2017. Florida State, Florida(twice), Auburn(twice), LSU, Nebraska, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, and Miami. He was never seriously considered for any of those jobs. You never see him on any of those lists or as a finalist for any of those places. And don’t kid yourself, he would’ve jumped at one of those jobs if offered.

If we want to be a big time program, shoot for the moon rather than the Catholic High School grad that used to play here. I mean I’ve seen nothing other than “he’s from here and he’ll stay”

I see nothing special from him. It’s seriously just nostalgia and lovin’ up on the hometown kid. If none of the big boys even sniff him, then it kinda speaks to his ceiling.

Let’s not forget that he did get fired when he was previously our OC. Now Kragthorpe wasn’t great and it was more him, but nothing he did when he was here was that impressive.

Brohm has been mediocre as well there is no denying that. He has won 9 games once in 6 years. Everything you complain about with Satterfield Brohm has done as well. The only difference is you, not the vast majority, like Brohm despite what the data tells you. That is fine but just say that instead of telling us the vast majority of football people believe what you believe.

I think discounting the incoming class is a ridiculous position. NIL is a factor but to say Satterfield and his staff aren’t is lazy or convenient.

What you are basically suggesting Louisville to do is spend an extra 2-3M annually plus another 5-8 million in buyouts for someone that will give you the same results. He may do better at Louisville than Purdue but the data sure doesn’t suggest that will happen.
1. Satterfield hasn’t won 9 games once - closest he came was 8 with Petrino’s players.

2. As the numbers from my other posts indicate, Brohm’s task rebuilding a team that was 9-39 in the 5 years prior to he got there (in a tougher conference) was demonstrably harder than what Satterfield inherited - a team that went 36-26 in the 5 years prior to him being hired.

3. I’m not discounting the 2023 class at all. First of all - they’re not even on campus and the top players are all still taking visits with four of them on SI’s flip watch. Regardless, I’m simply pointing out the reasons / reporting behind why they’ve verballed. In your world suddenly Satterfield becomes an Ace recruiter, when he’s never been one before and, coming off of two seasons so bad that he’s listed in the top 15 of coaches on the hot seat to get canned? Lol - ok

Let’s be clear, if Jeff Brohm was that good it would show by now. He is what he is at Purdue and it’s pretty much average to above average.

How many jobs have come open since he’s been at Purdue that he’s been a candidate? Seriously, what big time program has come for him? Tennessee did during that joke of a coaching search in 2017, that’s it.

Look at the jobs that have come open since 2017. Florida State, Florida(twice), Auburn(twice), LSU, Nebraska, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, and Miami. He was never seriously considered for any of those jobs. You never see him on any of those lists or as a finalist for any of those places. And don’t kid yourself, he would’ve jumped at one of those jobs if offered.

If we want to be a big time program, shoot for the moon rather than the Catholic High School grad that used to play here. I mean I’ve seen nothing other than “he’s from here and he’ll stay”

I see nothing special from him. It’s seriously just nostalgia and lovin’ up on the hometown kid. If none of the big boys even sniff him, then it kinda speaks to his ceiling.

Let’s not forget that he did get fired when he was previously our OC. Now Kragthorpe wasn’t great and it was more him, but nothing he did when he was here was that impressive.
Where are the facts / numbers to back up what you say? And let’s be honest, you have zero knowledge about what programs have contacted him about openings.

FTR - UofL isn’t “one of the big boys” - if we were, we wouldn’t have hired Satterfield. Who - BTW - only got the job because Brohm felt a responsibility to stick around for the kids he recruited.

No one knows what would happen until it did happen but, there’s just nothing factual or numbers based to back up your assertion. Here are some actual numbers that you might want to consider.

1. In the 5 years prior to Frost being hired at Nebraska - their record was 37-27.

3. Frost was 16-31 at Nebraska.

4. In the same time frame - Brohm was 24-23.

How - based upon that - could you possibly say that it’s 70-30 in favor of Brohm being as bad at UofL (in an easier conference) as Frost was at Nebraska?

I mean I get that we live in an age where feelings trump facts (pun intended) but that’s freaking ridiculous.
My Frost reference was about the way things ended. Nebraska was stuck with Frost 2-3 years after the writing was on the wall. My bad if that wasn't clear.

Also, yes, Brohm coaches in a better overall conference to Satterfield. By far. But the Big Ten West is not that tough and yet Brohm has yet to win the division. He hasn't done horrible at Purdue, it's just kind of "meh" overall. Just like Satterfield at UofL.

I don't hate Brohm or anything like that. If he became our coach I'd support him. I just think it's much more likely to end up like Frost ended up than with a Coach Brohm statue in front of Cardinal Stadium.

To me, it looks like a lateral move for our program with some chance he'd do well and stay for a long time, but the added negatives of starting over and risk of Louisville sports politics around the Brohm family. At this stage it's a "pass" for me. YMMV.

Heck, I don't even know where to start with this response. Nobody said that just because he's from here makes him a better coach. Try watching his games since it's obvious you said you don't. Brohm knows the talent that exists in Louisville, We all know that Petrino didn't recruit it enough and we are losing a lot of good football players to the team down the road. Satterfield hasn't change that and 6-6 won't do it.

You keep the ignoring the fact that maybe JB does have some character. He's not Petrino who flew off in the night to interview or the man who's not cut like that only to become yes, he is. I'm big time now. What school would try to go get him after he chose to stay loyal to his players to the point that he turned down his alma mater? What would the point be? He said he wanted to see it play out for his players. That's as clear as you can be as saying I'm not interested in another job.... except Louisville at the right time.

I also don't understand the knock about him being from a Catholic High School... You see nothing because you don't want to see anything.

The numbers tell a different story about whether or not their results are similar.

1. In the 5 years prior to Satterfield being hired at UofL - the team’s record was 36-26. His record since taking over a program 10 games over .500 is 24-22.

Brohm’s record since taking over a team 30 games under .500 is 24-23.

The B1G is a more difficult conference and purdoo is certainly a more difficult school to recruit to based upon academics.
Not sure why you go back 5 years. They both took over a mess in year 1. What happened 2-3-4-5 years ago didn’t matter.

Brohm had a bigger project initially but both rosters had to be rebuilt. Building rosters take time. To do it right it takes 4-5 years.

Based off all these discussion winning is all that matters

Brohm is 33-33—6 years
Satterfield is 24-22—4 years

What are we talking about? Fans are wanting to fire Satterfield after 4 years and want a coach that is 33-33 after 6 years. He is 33-33 with all the benefits of being in the Big Ten. Let’s not act like the West is a juggernaut. Since the East and West Division were created in 2014 the West has yet to win the Big Ten title. Northwestern has been in the championship game 2 times.

I am on the fence with Satterfield but you don’t make a change unless you have someone clearly better than him. When the only data point you look at is winning Brohm is not better.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Not sure why you go back 5 years. They both took over a mess in year 1. What happened 2-3-4-5 years ago didn’t matter.

Brohm had a bigger project initially but both rosters had to be rebuilt. Building rosters take time. To do it right it takes 4-5 years.

Brohm is 33-33—6 years

What are we talking about? Fans are wanting to fire Satterfield after 4 years and want a coach that is 33-33 after 6 years. He is 33-33 with all the benefits of being in the Big Ten. Let’s not act like the West is a juggernaut. Since the East and West Division were created in 2014 the West has yet to win the Big Ten title. Northwestern has been in the championship game 2 times.

I am on the fence with Satterfield but you don’t make a change unless you have someone clearly better than him. When the only data point you look at is winning Brohm is not better.
Why I m not a big Brohm guy. He and Satt are basically the same coaches and going by those records . If you add 2 years to Satt doing his avg winning 6-6 he be just 3 games better . Personally Satt has a more well rounded offense it's not even a discussion on that he does put an emphasis on the run game in which Brohm doesnt .And I would take Satts defense also over JBs. Now the one thing Brohm has is yes I think he would try extra hard as he is from here and would be very loyal and would get local kids. But that's the only difference maker. And if Satt wins and puts a effort into local kids that will take care of it self regardless of who's the coach.

Brohm is 33-33—6 years

Please elaborate on what the benefits are of being in the Big 10? Benefits that are directly related to winning. Does every team in the Big 10 benefit?

Heck, I don't even know where to start with this response. Nobody said that just because he's from here makes him a better coach. Try watching his games since it's obvious you said you don't. Brohm knows the talent that exists in Louisville, We all know that Petrino didn't recruit it enough and we are losing a lot of good football players to the team down the road. Satterfield hasn't change that and 6-6 won't do it.

You keep the ignoring the fact that maybe JB does have some character. He's not Petrino who flew off in the night to interview or the man who's not cut like that only to become yes, he is. I'm big time now. What school would try to go get him after he chose to stay loyal to his players to the point that he turned down his alma mater? What would the point be? He said he wanted to see it play out for his players. That's as clear as you can be as saying I'm not interested in another job.... except Louisville at the right time.

I also don't understand the knock about him being from a Catholic High School... You see nothing because you don't want to see anything.
Again all I’m seeing is “He’s from here and he’ll recruit the kids from here.” I get it that Satterfield is a country bumpkin good ole boy and not from here, but that’s not a football hire.

If Jeff was from Cincy and played at Cincy…guess what…his resume wouldn’t be considered.

“Talent exists in Louisville”

No doubt it does, but not like it used to.

Talent exists in Florida as Teddy and Lamar showed us at QB. Talent exists in Texas and California is what our new pipeline is showing us.

In the CUSA and Big East it was important to lockdown our city, but power 5 football ain’t built in a city that barely produces any high level P5 talent

Let’s go back and see the talent in our city.
2018- Taj Rice, Jarius Brents, Rondale Moore, Arak McDuffie, Wyatt Smock, Charles Allen, Kaiden Smith, and Terez Traynor

2019- Stephen Heron, Milton Wright, JJ Weaver, Jared Casey, Tae Crumes, Knight-Goff, Aiden Robbins

2020- John Young, Zay Cummings, Jordan Watkins, Josh Minkins

2021- Jack Dingle and Eli Blakey

Rondale Moore made the NFL and Milton Wright did well at Purdue. Stephen Heron is finally starting on a bad team in his final year. JJ Weaver is great at Kentucky and that was a big loss. Cummings isn’t even playing much now at Kentucky either. Jordan Watkins was here and decent and now not a big part of the offense at Ole Miss. Minkins is a contributor for us.

So from 2018-2021 recruiting.
Rondale Moore and JJ Weaver were great players. Heron, Watkins, Cummings, Wright, and Minkins are the only other ones that have played much power 5 ball.

Moore was a bad miss, but we also had Tutu and Des during that time. JJ Weaver is a bad miss too but we’re still currently leading Power 5 in sacks aren’t we? The others aren’t really taking anyone to the promised land.

Louisville isn’t producing talent like that anymore. Hiring a coach because “He knows there’s talent here in the city!” isnt based in fact.

Again all I’m seeing is “He’s from here and he’ll recruit the kids from here.” I get it that Satterfield is a country bumpkin good ole boy and not from here, but that’s not a football hire.

If Jeff was from Cincy and played at Cincy…guess what…his resume wouldn’t be considered.

“Talent exists in Louisville”

No doubt it does, but not like it used to.

Talent exists in Florida as Teddy and Lamar showed us at QB. Talent exists in Texas and California is what our new pipeline is showing us.

In the CUSA and Big East it was important to lockdown our city, but power 5 football ain’t built in a city that barely produces any high level P5 talent

Let’s go back and see the talent in our city.
2018- Taj Rice, Jarius Brents, Rondale Moore, Arak McDuffie, Wyatt Smock, Charles Allen, Kaiden Smith, and Terez Traynor

2019- Stephen Heron, Milton Wright, JJ Weaver, Jared Casey, Tae Crumes, Knight-Goff, Aiden Robbins

2020- John Young, Zay Cummings, Jordan Watkins, Josh Minkins

2021- Jack Dingle and Eli Blakey

Rondale Moore made the NFL and Milton Wright did well at Purdue. Stephen Heron is finally starting on a bad team in his final year. JJ Weaver is great at Kentucky and that was a big loss. Cummings isn’t even playing much now at Kentucky either. Jordan Watkins was here and decent and now not a big part of the offense at Ole Miss. Minkins is a contributor for us.

So from 2018-2021 recruiting.
Rondale Moore and JJ Weaver were great players. Heron, Watkins, Cummings, Wright, and Minkins are the only other ones that have played much power 5 ball.

Moore was a bad miss, but we also had Tutu and Des during that time. JJ Weaver is a bad miss too but we’re still currently leading Power 5 in sacks aren’t we? The others aren’t really taking anyone to the promised land.

Louisville isn’t producing talent like that anymore. Hiring a coach because “He knows there’s talent here in the city!” isnt based in fact.
Nice breakdown.

• Haha

Brohm is 33-33—6 years

I went back five years because it basically represented the regime of the person that each guy took over for respectively and most importantly, the state of the programs. Forget the subjective discussion of which conference is more difficult - for argument's sake, let's say they're the exact same. If you think that rebuilding a team that was 9-39 the previous five years is the same as stepping into a program that was 36-26 in that same span, well then - I don't know what to tell you. Suggesting that it is even remotely close is frankly absurd.

At the end of the day - whatever - I'm honestly about done trying to have logical fact-based conversations with people who are too deep into their feels to hear facts. It's a giant waste of time.

Why I m not a big Brohm guy. He and Satt are basically the same coaches and going by those records . If you add 2 years to Satt doing his avg winning 6-6 he be just 3 games better . Personally Satt has a more well rounded offense it's not even a discussion on that he does put an emphasis on the run game in which Brohm doesnt .And I would take Satts defense also over JBs. Now the one thing Brohm has is yes I think he would try extra hard as he is from here and would be very loyal and would get local kids. But that's the only difference maker. And if Satt wins and puts a effort into local kids that will take care of it self regardless of who's the coach.
Another post of why you're not a "sports guy". You simply don't understand what you're watching - regardless if it's football or basketball.

It just feels like the results are very similar when comparing. The national writers have them both aligned and so does the majority of this community.

I wonder how their salaries compare @the artist FKA zipp

:cool:
Can't remember one person in the community that I ran across or read an opinion from that felt that they were similar or wanted Satterfield over Brohm. Half of those that do now - if they were honest - would admit that the majority of their new viewpoint is in fact, simply still being butthurt that Brohm said no.

Please elaborate on what the benefits are of being in the Big 10? Benefits that are directly related to winning. Does every team in the Big 10 benefit?
Pure TV $$$. They have the resources to do whatever they want to make their program better. They paid Brohm 5-6M. They should be able to money whip coaches if he wanted.

A better recruiting backyard with Indy.

It is a football conference the ACC is a basketball conference.

Pure TV $$$. They have the resources to do whatever they want to make their program better. They paid Brohm 5-6M. They should be able to money whip coaches if he wanted.

A better recruiting backyard with Indy.

It is a football conference the ACC is a basketball conference.
Yeah, I guess thats why Northwestern is a powerhouse and why Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State have been able to take over the mantleship from Ohio State and Michigan...

Reactions: gocds
Can't remember one person in the community that I ran across or read an opinion from that felt that they were similar or wanted Satterfield over Brohm. Half of those that do now - if they were honest - would admit that the majority of their new viewpoint is in fact, simply still being butthurt that Brohm said no.
Well the games count this year and that's the opinion these dudes you keep arguing with are giving you for now. Maybe things change and they very well could again and swing another direction.

I was done with the dude after the Cuse game not going to try to pretend I wasn't. I'm kind of stunned they've won a few in a row and I'm holding out until the season is over before weighing in. I'm kind of indifferent on it all.

They are content with SS over Brohm because they believe the results are similar. This seems to really anger you and I'm not sure why.

You're kind of projecting here my friend. You seem upset. Like really upset.

Well the games count this year and that's the opinion these dudes you keep arguing with are giving you for now. Maybe things change and they very well could again and swing another direction.

I was done with the dude after the Cuse game not going to try to pretend I wasn't. I'm kind of stunned they've won a few in a row and I'm holding out until the season is over before weighing in. I'm kind of indifferent on it all.

They are content with SS over Brohm because they believe the results are similar. This seems to really anger you and I'm not sure why.

You're kind of projecting here my friend. You seem upset. Like really upset.
Lol - not upset and certainly not really upset at all. I’ve got my opinion and others have theirs and that’s what makes the world go round and round. I do find the trend of feelings over facts that has permeated seemingly every facet of our society irritating but, nothing I can do about it.

All that said, despite my thoughts about Brohm vs Satterfield, I too am pleased with the four game streak and the turnaround since BC. Happy to have him as the coach should the results dictate it and like you, willing to let it play out. FWIW - It’s the Brohm haters that keep bumping this thread back to the top. Thanks for checking in - I have always appreciated your perspective.

Lol - not upset and certainly not really upset at all. I’ve got my opinion and others have theirs and that’s what makes the world go round and round. I do find the trend of feelings over facts that has permeated seemingly every facet of our society irritating but, nothing I can do about it.

All that said, despite my thoughts about Brohm vs Satterfield, I too am pleased with the four game streak and the turnaround since BC. Happy to have him as the coach should the results dictate it and like you, willing to let it play out. FWIW - It’s the Brohm haters that keep bumping this thread back to the top. Thanks for checking in - I have always appreciated your perspective.
I don't think these guys have put too much "feelings" into it as an impartial observer they are looking at the #'s and they are drawing a different conclusion.

These #'s just aren't that far off either way really.

But things can change in the final part of the season and so can those opinions because those games count too.

Yeah, I guess thats why Northwestern is a powerhouse and why Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State have been able to take over the mantleship from Ohio State and Michigan...
I am not comparing Louisville to Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan. My point is Purdue has as much and even more $$$ to make football work. They have a better recruiting base out of Indy. Brohm hasn’t taken advantage of that but some expect him to do something different at Louisville with less resources

No one has explained why he is 33-33 at Purdue and how that translates differently at Louisville. Keep in mind their defense is not good in a Division that is allergic to offense.

I agree this is pointless. I don’t get distain for Satterfield and the love for others that clearly aren’t better.

I am not comparing Louisville to Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan. My point is Purdue has as much and even more $$$ to make football work. They have a better recruiting base out of Indy. Brohm hasn’t taken advantage of that but some expect him to do something different at Louisville with less resources

No one has explained why he is 33-33 at Purdue and how that translates differently at Louisville. Keep in mind their defense is not good in a Division that is allergic to offense.

I agree this is pointless. I don’t get distain for Satterfield and the love for others that clearly aren’t better.
I guess my questions to you are - do you think it’s easier as a whole to recruit to UofL or purdoo and why do you think that? The other question is, which do think would be a bigger overhaul / turnaround job - a program that was 30 games under .500 prior to the new coach or, one that was 10 games over .500 in the same span - and why?

Proximity to Indy is great but that area is recruited heavily by schools much larger and prestigious than purdoo including ND, OSU, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin to name a few. ND and Michigan are the only more difficult schools to get accepted into academically than purdoo.

If you’re truly a fan of the University of Louisville, then - the last four games notwithstanding - you have to understand the disdain that some of us have for Satterfield’s time and results here.

You ask a lot of questions😀.

I think if you aren’t recruiting in the top of your conference consistently it doesn’t matter. The reality is neither has recruited at that level consistently. The reason why I think the recruiting advantage is marginal is Brohm himself, he choose Purdue over Louisville. He isn’t dumb, he knows players make him a better coach. Why stay at a Purdue when the recruiting is much easier at Louisville. The reality is it is tough at both places. History tells you that. Louisville recruiting since being in ACC hasn’t been good especially in the trenches.

I wonder if you are a Louisville fan when you ask the question about rebuilding a program. Here is a question for you. Who actually started with a more stable situation?

Brohm had 100 percent support from admin-players-fans. That seems like a good situation to walk into. He could build a program his way. Again, Brohm himself tells you he thought Purdue was a better opportunity.

Satterfield came into a pretty tough spot. A historically bad defensive roster. A new AD and President. We also find out later the AD and President didn’t see eye to eye. During his time both leave. A fanbase that wanted a different coach. It has been complete turmoil.

I get it don’t talk to SC and quit losing big to UK. I got it.

You ask a lot of questions😀.

I think if you aren’t recruiting in the top of your conference consistently it doesn’t matter. The reality is neither has recruited at that level consistently. The reason why I think the recruiting advantage is marginal is Brohm himself, he choose Purdue over Louisville. He isn’t dumb, he knows players make him a better coach. Why stay at a Purdue when the recruiting is much easier at Louisville. The reality is it is tough at both places. History tells you that. Louisville recruiting since being in ACC hasn’t been good especially in the trenches.

I wonder if you are a Louisville fan when you ask the question about rebuilding a program. Here is a question for you. Who actually started with a more stable situation?

Brohm had 100 percent support from admin-players-fans. That seems like a good situation to walk into. He could build a program his way. Again, Brohm himself tells you he thought Purdue was a better opportunity.

Satterfield came into a pretty tough spot. A historically bad defensive roster. A new AD and President. We also find out later the AD and President didn’t see eye to eye. During his time both leave. A fanbase that wanted a different coach. It has been complete turmoil.

I get it don’t talk to SC and quit losing big to UK. I got it.
I have a burning desire to know 😀
Understanding why Brohm stayed at purdoo is as simple as listening to what he said the reasons were both at the time and now - simple as that.

There were many UofL fans that wished Brohm had taken the job but, I can’t remember anyone saying they weren’t going to support Satterfield - including me. Are you suggesting that Satterfield wasn’t given the opportunity to build the program his way? It’s not as though Brohm was at WKU and was given the choice between UofL and purdoo - he had already accepted the purdoo job, was the HC for a year and, felt that he needed to keep his word to those kids that he had recruited and purdoo for giving him the opportunity. Leaving after a year would have been a douchey - Lane Kiffen type move.

As bad as the defensive roster Satterfield inherited played the last year for Petrino - there was still talent on the roster - those kids provided Satterfield with his best record at UofL. As for the president and AD not seeing eye to eye - that has precious little to do with wins and losses. The facts are - and you hit on two of them - Satterfield burned through a ton of goodwill with the USCjr deal, the overall mediocrity and getting boat raced by the yuts annually. Had he won even at the clip that he did with Petrino’s players and sprinkled in a win or two against uk, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

I have a burning desire to know 😀
Understanding why Brohm stayed at purdoo is as simple as listening to what he said the reasons were both at the time and now - simple as that.

There were many UofL fans that wished Brohm had taken the job but, I can’t remember anyone saying they weren’t going to support Satterfield - including me. Are you suggesting that Satterfield wasn’t given the opportunity to build the program his way? It’s not as though Brohm was at WKU and was given the choice between UofL and purdoo - he had already accepted the purdoo job, was the HC for a year and, felt that he needed to keep his word to those kids that he had recruited and purdoo for giving him the opportunity. Leaving after a year would have been a douchey - Lane Kiffen type move.

As bad as the defensive roster Satterfield inherited played the last year for Petrino - there was still talent on the roster - those kids provided Satterfield with his best record at UofL. As for the president and AD not seeing eye to eye - that has precious little to do with wins and losses. The facts are - and you hit on two of them - Satterfield burned through a ton of goodwill with the USCjr deal, the overall mediocrity and getting boat raced by the yuts annually. Had he won even at the clip that he did with Petrino’s players and sprinkled in a win or two against uk, we wouldn’t even be having thi
It really doesn’t matter why he stayed, all that matters is he stayed. He picked Purdue over Louisville for football reasons. That is all we need to know isn’t it,

Interesting take the AD and President have zero influence on wins and losses. Boy I give up.

.... Suggesting that he [Brohm] doesn’t deserve respect because he failed to dump Purdue a year after he was hired, is childish at best and it’s ironic that you would instead bestow that respect and loyalty on a guy [Satterfield] who tried to jump ship after year one...

Hopefully you're just "mis-remembering" here...
Brohm decided to stay at Purdue after his second year there, not after one year, when the UofL job opened. And Satterfield had his "discussion" with South Carolina at the end of his second year (with one game to go) and not after year one.

Last edited:
It is a mistake to connect Satterfield‘s employment here as UL’s head coach, with Jeff Brohm. Scott may, or may not be here on a long term basis, but it should be evident that Jeff is not going to be in line for serious consideration in the event Satterfield were to leave for any reason.

It is very possible they go 0-3 to finish out the season. At that point who knows what will happen.

I think it would be a tough call to hire Brohm even if he wanted to come back. The money required to get him and his actual on field performance are out of whack. Brohm would have to offer a hometown discount which isn’t going to happen.

Let’s hope they aren’t 6-6 at the end of year. That puts the AD in a rough spot, no good choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT