ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm and Purdue killing it again.

CardsFirst

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2007
Or should I say stinking it up. Third QTR Purdue 21 FAU 20. Good grief after 6 years I bet Purdue fans hope we buy out his contract. Good grief nooo.

What is Brohm known for? What makes him a up and coming head coach?

These are easy questions.

He's known for a aggressive, creative offense where going for the big play is preferential to the 7 minute drive to score.

He got his first power 5 job at Purdue due to this. Purdue needed a coach that could jump start a program that has been dull since the days of Drew Brees.

And that's exactly what Brohm did his first season. Rondale Moore made it a bit easier. Purdue was scoring a lot more and they had a few big upsets. He was the perfect fit for Purdue.

Now if he's a perfect fit here at UofL that depends on the situation, but due to his Cardinals history he will most likely be a candidate if the Louisville job becomes open. If that happens, he too will be judged by his results.

What a joke. These guys wanting Brohm and he almost lost to FAU...2 winning seasons in 5 years at Purdue. This year looking the same. People already giving him excuses because his QB was out. FAU lost to Central FL 40 to 14. Wow you guys pile on Satt but give all kind of excuse for Brohm.

My opinion Brohm made a terrible decision to stay at Purdue. To me timing is everything. It was a perfect fit for both. The Louisville fanbase would of fully accepted him and would of been extremely patient. I do think Louisville would be in a better place than currently. While I appreciate why he stayed he failed to see the significance of him being at Louisville.

With that said timing isn’t good now. The fanbase will not be patient. For Tyra it was an easy choice. For Heird not so much. The data and circumstances no longer support this being a great hire. The data suggests it would be a lazy hire.

My opinion Brohm made a terrible decision to stay at Purdue. To me timing is everything. It was a perfect fit for both. The Louisville fanbase would of fully accepted him and would of been extremely patient. I do think Louisville would be in a better place than currently. While I appreciate why he stayed he failed to see the significance of him being at Louisville.

With that said timing isn’t good now. The fanbase will not be patient. For Tyra it was an easy choice. For Heird not so much. The data and circumstances no longer support this being a great hire. The data suggests it would be a lazy hire.
Speaking of Tyra, I saw that failure of an AD in the Bronze lot while tailgating yesterday.

The pro Brohm people are gonna come for You.
Let them. They can line with all their excuses to why he only beat FIU by two. Why his teams don’t play D and why their undisciplined. He isn’t an upgrade over what we have now. We can’t afford a lateral move.

What is Brohm known for? What makes him a up and coming head coach?

These are easy questions.

He's known for a aggressive, creative offense where going for the big play is preferential to the 7 minute drive to score.

He got his first power 5 job at Purdue due to this. Purdue needed a coach that could jump start a program that has been dull since the days of Drew Brees.

And that's exactly what Brohm did his first season. Rondale Moore made it a bit easier. Purdue was scoring a lot more and they had a few big upsets. He was the perfect fit for Purdue.

Now if he's a perfect fit here at UofL that depends on the situation, but due to his Cardinals history he will most likely be a candidate if the Louisville job becomes open. If that happens, he too will be judged by his results.
So we hire him because he brings excitement to the offense only? Well I prefer winning consistently and I want a disciplined team that plays D. I’ll take a 41-3 over a USF team rather than a 28-26 game against FIU that Purdue should have lost too. Brohm like Bobby plays to out score the other team while putting little importance on D. That is not a recipe for long term success at this level. No Purdue can keep him.

What happens then if say Purdue beats another ranked Big 10 team like Michigan or OSU? Is he a good coach then?

Not blowing inferior teams out happens to all teams. Look at Georgia yesterday against Kent State.

I'm not advocating for UofL to fire Satterfield and hire Brohm. I'm just defending Brohm as a good coach and a likely hire if and when UofL has another opening at head coach. Mostly because of his past affiliation with the program. If some other higher profile coach is available and is interested in the Louisville job, I would surely prefer that.

Reactions: BPGhost
Denny Crum had teams that barely beat weaker opponents but then they would beat the top teams by double digits. Like everybody else I am upset with the season so far especially the debacle at Syracuse totally the loss was because of poor coaching by the entire staff. However I can see this season turning around and having a good year and then bringing in a highly rated class next year. Hopefully that will compPete the rebuild and put us back in the conversation.

Jeff Brohm IS NOT the answer here. And as long as CSS is here, there shouldn't be any REAL conversation about bringing in JB simply because of his connections to UofL and the city. He MUST truly prove himself as a coach at Poodoo and that hasn't happened as of yet and I don't see that happening any time soon.

GO CARDS!!!

Brohm will be considered a good HC when he understands and accepts you have to play defense. FWIW Spurrier had to embrace defense before building a NC team.

Peace

If Satt only beat FAU by 2 points this board would have been on total meltdown.
Given that he’s never won a game that was within one score - I’d say were he to win a close one - it might be a cause for celebration.

What a joke. These guys wanting Brohm and he almost lost to FAU...2 winning seasons in 5 years at Purdue. This year looking the same. People already giving him excuses because his QB was out. FAU lost to Central FL 40 to 14. Wow you guys pile on Satt but give all kind of excuse for Brohm.
So if Malik was out and UofL beat USF by two (something Satterfield has never done) you wouldn’t be saying anything about it.

Umm, ok. 🤥

Jeff Brohm IS NOT the answer here. And as long as CSS is here, there shouldn't be any REAL conversation about bringing in JB simply because of his connections to UofL and the city. He MUST truly prove himself as a coach at Poodoo and that hasn't happened as of yet and I don't see that happening any time soon.

GO CARDS!!!
You - just like the rest of us - have ZERO clue as to whether Brohm is the answer at UofL. The only way to determine that would be for him to actually be the coach.

What we do know, is that Satterfield has been a bad fit and his results have been mediocre to poor. Brohm or not, Satterfield’s lack of results have earned him the hot seat he currently resides in.

Brohm will be considered a good HC when he understands and accepts you have to play defense. FWIW Spurrier had to embrace defense before building a NC team.

Peace
And Saban understood that to stay on top, you better be able to put up a bunch of points.

Given that he’s never won a game that was within one score - I’d say were he to win a close one - it might be a cause for celebration.
Nope, not even close. That's two separate threads now with this inaccuracy. Satterfield and Louisville have won at least 5 such games, although his record here is about 5-9, so he's clearly lost several more such games than he has won.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
It is sad to use UK as an example for anything, and it is even more bizarre having to consider their football program as one, but there are a lot of fans here who are emulating what UK fans were encouraging in those early Stoops years when they not only losing, but many of those losses were a direct result of Stoops decision making. Barnhardt was patient and gave Stoops his unwavering support, and it has obviously paid off.

This season needs to play out for both Satterfield and Brohm before any decisions can be made, as there is a lot of football left to play. While I make no predictions as such, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Brohm gets forced at Purdue, and Satterfield receives a contract extension. Let’s say we beat UK, and IU beats Purdue at the end of this season; again, I am the first to say that half of that scenario remains unlikely as we stand right now, but I am not counting the Cards out just yet!

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
It is sad to use UK as an example for anything, and it is even more bizarre having to consider their football program as one, but there are a lot of fans here who are emulating what UK fans were encouraging in those early Stoops years when they not only losing, but many of those losses were a direct result of Stoops decision making. Barnhardt was patient and gave Stoops his unwavering support, and it has obviously paid off.

This season needs to play out for both Satterfield and Brohm before any decisions can be made, as there is a lot of football left to play. While I make no predictions as such, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Brohm gets forced at Purdue, and Satterfield receives a contract extension. Let’s say we beat UK, and IU beats Purdue at the end of this season; again, I am the first to say that half of that scenario remains unlikely as we stand right now, but I am not counting the Cards out just yet!
I can't forsee a realistic scenario - save UofL going 9-3 or better and purdoo going 3-9 or worse - that Satterfield would be extended and / or Brohm fired. While there has been a lot of talk about uk's program by fans of Sunbelt Scotty, the situations aren't really that closely related. Kentucky has been a historically terrible program only occasionally fair to mediocre and more importantly - a coaching graveyard. Barnfart's MO is "patience" - punctuated by needlessly extending/increasing contracts regardless of sport. The results are a mixed bag - nine years later it has paid off with Stupes but, this approach has put them in a terrible spot with sweaty cal and, has resulted in declines in both baseball and women's basketball.

I much prefer an AD that is proactive when the situation demands it.

Reactions: EKYCard643
I can't forsee a realistic scenario - save UofL going 9-3 or better and purdoo going 3-9 or worse - that Satterfield would be extended and / or Brohm fired
If you don't think Satterfield gets extended with 8-4 or even 7-5 and possibly even 6-6 you're out of your mind... I've been as critical of him as anyone but any of those records against maybe the toughest schedule we've ever played would probably warrant an extension. Now, we're a long ways from any of those records right now so let's see what happens...

One stipulation, If we achieve any of those records and the defense doesn't show marked improvement Satterfield has to be told to can Brown in order to get extended.

If you don't think Satterfield gets extended with 8-4 or even 7-5 and possibly even 6-6 you're out of your mind... I've been as critical of him as anyone but any of those records against maybe the toughest schedule we've ever played would probably warrant an extension. Now, we're a long ways from any of those records right now so let's see what happens...

One stipulation, If we achieve any of those records and the defense doesn't show marked improvement Satterfield has to be told to can Brown in order to get extended.
Any AD that would extend Satterfield at 6-6 or 7-5 is out of their mind and, their depth. A scenario like that confirms to the world that UofL has accepted mediocrity in the football program. If he goes 8-4 and beats either Clemson or the yuts - maybe that would warrant a couple of year extension but other than that - no freaking way. Think about it from this perspective - short of 8-4 with a quality top 25 win - what P5 program would be looking to swoop in and take him away from UofL? If his P5 prospects are zero, then there is zero reason to extend him for mediocre results.

Reactions: EKYCard643
Any AD that would extend Satterfield at 6-6 or 7-5 is out of their mind and, their depth. A scenario like that confirms to the world that UofL has accepted mediocrity in the football program. If he goes 8-4 and beats either Clemson or the yuts - maybe that would warrant a couple of year extension but other than that - no freaking way. Think about it from this perspective - short of 8-4 with a quality top 25 win - what P5 program would be looking to swoop in and take him away from UofL? If his P5 prospects are zero, then there is zero reason to extend him for mediocre results.
If you keep him you have to extend him for recruiting sake.

So you think he should be let go for going 7-5 against probably the toughest schedule we've ever played..?

You aren’t factoring the incoming class. It will be a huge factor in this decision. 7-5 with a Top 15 class they are keeping him period. 6-6 is the more dicey and probably would hinge on the UK game result plus class staying in tact.

Take it week by week.

Let them. They can line with all their excuses to why he only beat FIU by two. Why his teams don’t play D and why their undisciplined. He isn’t an upgrade over what we have now. We can’t afford a lateral move.

Brohm brings an exciting offense and gives you a puncher's chance against anyone. He'll beat Clemson 44-34 at Death Valley one week, then lose to BC in a 17-14 game the next. I'm not convinced he's the answer, either, but at least the guy seems to give a damn (what an attribute to have, lol).

So you think he should be let go for going 7-5 against probably the toughest schedule we've ever played..?

If UofL wins 6 games then Satt is coach next year. I’m guessing he’s still coach even with 5 wins. Nonetheless, if an AD extends him with 6 or less wins then they should be charged with AD malpractice. Rewarding mediocrity is irresponsible stewardship of funds.

Reactions: BPGhost

Why exactly would you need to extend him for recruiting? I mean I get that 10 years ago but as we all know - signing a player is basically a one year (if that) commitment on their part.

Plus, given as the general consensus is that coaches gave an average shelf life of about 4 years at any one institution - any potential recruit is already factoring in on Satterfield being on borrowed time at UofL - regardless of whether that’s initiated by him or the school.

If the team is competitive, shows effort, desire, hustle and improvement in the remaining games and goes 7-5, then I’d say he would have earned another year.

Unless Brohm is available - then you can him like tuna. 😂

Why exactly would you need to extend him for recruiting? I mean I get that 10 years ago but as we all know - signing a player is basically a one year (if that) commitment on their part.
I think other schools use that against you saying the coach doesn't have the support of the AD and probably won't be around when you get there if he has a bad season..

Besides, if you keep him, extending him now you can negotiate a better deal because he's not exactly setting it on fire or being courted by other teams. If you keep him and don't extend and he has a really good year the price goes up and he's looking at other offers you may have to match or beat. JMO

Brohm takes down another top 25 team - while SunBelt Scotty loses as a two TD favorite to a ACC bottom dweller.

I’d say this thread didn’t age very well…

Just don't get the Brohm nut huggers. Guy doesn't want to be here. Even if he did, he's not the guy that's gonna turn this train wreck around.

Just don't get the Brohm nut huggers. Guy doesn't want to be here. Even if he did, he's not the guy that's gonna turn this train wreck around.
Who’s your guy then genius? There’s a new coach thread and your contribution is to question whether any the coaches named on it would be interested. Of the coaches who’d potentially be interested - Brohm checks the most boxes for UofL - by far. If you can’t acknowledge that then you aren’t paying attention.

Such a dumb take.

Who’s your guy then genius? There’s a new coach thread and your contribution is to question whether any the coaches named on it would be interested. Of the coaches who’d potentially be interested - Brohm checks the most boxes for UofL - by far. If you can’t acknowledge that then you aren’t paying attention.

Such a dumb take.
Brohm checks most of the boxes for UL with the exception he's not leaving Purdue for UL. He turned down the job but not before using his interview to secure a million dollar raise and other concessions from Purdue. Geeez, talk about " dumb takes ".

Reactions: rh62531
Brohm checks most of the boxes for UL with the exception he's not leaving Purdue for UL. He turned down the job but not before using his interview to secure a million dollar raise and other concessions from Purdue. Geeez, talk about " dumb takes ".
You’ve zero idea what is possible and apparently haven’t been paying attention regarding his recent comments. I’m not saying that he’s the next coach - just that he checks the most boxes.

So once again, looking forward to learning who your choice for the next person who could be successful and would have an interest in being the HC at UofL.

You’ve zero idea what is possible and apparently haven’t been paying attention regarding his recent comments. I’m not saying that he’s the next coach - just that he checks the most boxes.

So once again, looking forward to learning who your choice for the next person who could be successful and would have an interest in being the HC at UofL.
Really ?? Recent comments. ?? Do tell. Is he looking another raise ?

Reactions: rh62531
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT