ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm and Purdue killing it again.

In the decade before Brohm was hired, Purdue was an awful program. The Drew Brees years were long gone and there was no excitement in West Lafayette.

Brohm instantly brought a exciting brand of football and he has defeated ranked big 10 teams each year. Now he hasn't created a juggernaut but he has done great things compared to the decade before.

No telling how good he could be at a program with obvious recruiting advantages over Purdue.

Reactions: BPGhost
Here is what so many of the Brohm enthusiasts might be missing here. Did it occur to any of you as to why Jeff might have refused the opportunity to return to UL, when given the chance at that particular time? It may not have been just as about the money as most of us have assumed.

I must confess that it has been many years since I even talked to either Oscar, Jeff, Greg or Brian …… so admittedly this observation is absent of anything remotely close to firsthand knowledge. Yet, I have a sense that Jeff knew a whole lot more about where this UL football program was after Jurich and Petrino left. I cannot imagine a scenario where Jeff would not have reached out to both Tom and Bobby as soon as the job opened up. I also believe Petrino would have shared a lot more about what was occurring at the University during and after the transition from Jurich to Tyra.

Conversely, Satterfield likely saw the move from ASU to an ACC member school as a great opportunity. I am not sure we will ever know whether Scott is as bad of a Head Coach as some believe, or whether he inherited a bad situation.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Lets see.. Purdue's red zone offense is #6 in the country with something like 25 out of 26 ending in a score. I think 21 of those result in a TD, 10 run and 10 pass. Satterfield's red zone offense is well around 62.
I think those are great statistics and show Jeff Brohm to be a good coach. Perhaps my comments are being misunderstood as NOT wanting JB here at UofL and that is not what I meant to say. But I would want a more thorough search than simply approaching JB as the only candidate. If we DID have an opening, which we don't at the moment, I would fully expect JB to be a candidate along with several others in college or pro football. If JB were the successful candidate I would support him completely as I've done over more than 50 years as a UofL athletics fan. It's obvious that some of you think I'm anti JB but nothing could be further from the truth. I just want a thorough search if and when we DO have an opening.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: Knucklehank1
I think those are great statistics and show Jeff Brohm to be a good coach. Perhaps my comments are being misunderstood as NOT wanting JB here at UofL and that is not what I meant to say. But I would want a more thorough search than simply approaching JB as the only candidate. If we DID have an opening, which we don't at the moment, I would fully expect JB to be a candidate along with several others in college or pro football. If JB were the successful candidate I would support him completely as I've done over more than 50 years as a UofL athletics fan. It's obvious that some of you think I'm anti JB but nothing could be further from the truth. I just want a thorough search if and when we DO have an opening.

GO CARDS!!!
Here's the thing, a lot of posters want to just look at Brohm's record at Purdue, but try watching a few of their games and look at the numbers like their offense puts up. That's directly attributed to Jeff. Its not a fair stretch to say he could do the same here. You have to admit his offense is much more refreshing. Yeah their defense is suspect with a former Card, English as Co-DC, but Brohm understands he has to win here. He can't fail in his hometown. I give him enough credit, unlike Satterfield, maybe even under Bobby 2 to fire any coach not getting it done. Here's another aspect? What coach understands the UK rivalry (well it hasn't been a rivalry lately) better than Brohm? Rhule, no he's a SOB that will only look for the next job. Prime Time? No. He looks more like someone who would cater up to a Calipari.

Reactions: BPGhost and gocds
Here is what so many of the Brohm enthusiasts might be missing here. Did it occur to any of you as to why Jeff might have refused the opportunity to return to UL, when given the chance at that particular time? It may not have been just as about the money as most of us have assumed.

I must confess that it has been many years since I even talked to either Oscar, Jeff, Greg or Brian …… so admittedly this observation is absent of anything remotely close to firsthand knowledge. Yet, I have a sense that Jeff knew a whole lot more about where this UL football program was after Jurich and Petrino left. I cannot imagine a scenario where Jeff would not have reached out to both Tom and Bobby as soon as the job opened up. I also believe Petrino would have shared a lot more about what was occurring at the University during and after the transition from Jurich to Tyra.

Conversely, Satterfield likely saw the move from ASU to an ACC member school as a great opportunity. I am not sure we will ever know whether Scott is as bad of a Head Coach as some believe, or whether he inherited a bad situation.

A couple things - the Brohms and the Jurich’s aren’t friendly so I dont think there would’ve been much conversing there. Secondly, I’m sure the state of the program at the time concerned Jeff. Petrino had given up and had no recruits. Satterfield did inherit a tough situation. Problem is that in year 4 he has done nothing to energize the football program.

1. No one with any sense that his decision was money driven - how could you when you don’t know what Tyra offered.

2. The UofL program was closer to being good than purdoo was at that point, so that’s not the reason either.

3. What in the world leads you to believe that Brohm would have reached out to jurich?!? There were hard feelings with jurich the way Jeff’s dismissal under HWSNBN that never got resolved. I seriously doubt that the way Petrino went out that Brohm would have reached out to him.

Maybe you should take Brohm at his word - given during a Q&A session at the Flaget reunion this summer where he was the guest speaker. None of that nonsense you’re trying to throw against the wall and have it stick came up.

I have always thought Brohm's decision had mostly to due with what him leaving so soon would have done to Purdue. They gave him his first power 5 job and the improvements in just two seasons were immeasurable.

Now had the Louisville job came open after a winning season instead of a program in disarray, Brohm may have had little choice to leave Purdue which always knew Brohm and UofL was a possibility. Had Petrino left when Lamar did, I think Brohm would have left Purdue after one season for example.

It just was terrible timing for the Jeff Brohm/Louisville marriage. Unlike a lot of coaches, Brohm appears to be more loyal to the program he's running instead of advancing his career. It was probably gut wrenching trying to make the decision. What he thought was the right decision.

But I don't know. Like everyone else it's just speculation. I would however be totally shocked if Brohm turned the job down again if offered for next season.

Interesting - I was under the impression that we were discussing current events as they impacted UofL. You call me ignorant and yet, which one of my statements was incorrect?

1. The SEC and B1G have made aggressive moves to expand into other markets by effectively luring top programs from the Big 12 and PAC 12. The SEC and B1G have made no secret about the fact that they are not finished with expanding with other programs currently part of other conferences. As a result, the resulting TV deals for those two conferences are providing 2-3 times the annual revenue than any other P5 conference.

2. At current, no less than 4-6 ACC schools (not including Notre Dame) have been approached about joining either the SEC or B1G and if you listen to their administrators and read the reporting, they are actively looking for ways to invalidate or negotiate a reduction in the ACC GOR so that they could jump to one of those conferences for the money.

3. UofL is not now, nor do they appear to be one of those programs targeted by the SEC or B1G. Should the ACC GOR not hold and programs like Clemson, UVA, FSU, UNC, and Miami leave the ACC, the ACC would either be forced to add G5 schools or, merge with the BIG 12 or risk being shut out of the CFB playoffs and frankly, that may not even be enough. In that scenario, UofL would indeed be back into a situation like they were at the end of the Big East / AAC.

4. It is PRECISELY my knowledge as a long-time UofL fan of the struggles to be included at one of the big boy tables that leads me to be concerned for the future. The ACC has indeed provided UofL with relevance but now, the ACC is under attack and past relevance doesn't predict future relevance.

If, as you suggest, the ACC is very comparable to all other P5 conferences, why do they have multiple members looking to leave? Why would you have a greater understanding of the situation than the national press whose job it is to report/understand such matters? Why have there been multiple meetings between the ACC, PAC12 & BIG12 discussing how they defend themselves from the SEC and B1G?

The discussion was about whether Brohm was qualified to be considered as the HC should Satterfield be let go. You were the one that started talking about conferences - rather than answer a simple question. Additionally, you may want to take a look in the mirror prior to saying someone else is ignorant.
How do you know there are multiple members looking to leave? Do you have a link you can share?

I have always thought Brohm's decision had mostly to due with what him leaving so soon would have done to Purdue. They gave him his first power 5 job and the improvements in just two seasons were immeasurable.

Now had the Louisville job came open after a winning season instead of a program in disarray, Brohm may have had little choice to leave Purdue which always knew Brohm and UofL was a possibility. Had Petrino left when Lamar did, I think Brohm would have left Purdue after one season for example.

It just was terrible timing for the Jeff Brohm/Louisville marriage. Unlike a lot of coaches, Brohm appears to be more loyal to the program he's running instead of advancing his career. It was probably gut wrenching trying to make the decision. What he thought was the right decision.

But I don't know. Like everyone else it's just speculation. I would however be totally shocked if Brohm turned the job down again if offered for next season.
I’d be shocked if he was offered, and shocked again if he took it. We just cannot afford the Satterfield buyout AND a contract for Brohm.

How do you know there are multiple members looking to leave? Do you have a link you can share?
This has been widely reported by multiple reputable outlets / sources and is available to you should you wish to google it.

I’d be shocked if he was offered, and shocked again if he took it. We just cannot afford the Satterfield buyout AND a contract for Brohm.
I just don’t know why people think this. There are multiple sources of revenue - both on the private side and from the university - available should this be an option. Where do you think all this new NIL money is coming from to pay current and incoming players?

Reactions: gocds
Maybe you should take Brohm at his word - given during a Q&A session at the Flaget reunion this summer where he was the guest speaker.
Without a doubt, JB left the door open at that reunion and besides the issues with Jurich,he noted that at the time he was in only his second season at Purdue. It says something about his character that he didn't think it was right to bolt West Lafayette so soon.

It’s not happening. Dude must not have been paying attention. The expansion is being expedited, schools can’t financially leave right now to begin with unless it’s a mass exodus in which that would forfeit the owed money to the conference. There isn’t enough programs to increase the revenue per school to do that.

It’s not happening. Dude must not have been paying attention. The expansion is being expedited, schools can’t financially leave right now to begin with unless it’s a mass exodus in which that would forfeit the owed money to the conference. There isn’t enough programs to increase the revenue per school to do that.
Lol - ok, Dude. You must have been under a rock for the last six months Dude. FSU has had discussions with both SEC & B1G. Widely reported that they, Clemson and Miami are on the SEC wish list. UNC and UVA are drawing the interest of the B1G as multiple reports from reputable sources have outlined.

Right now the GOR is the only thing holding the conference together. Do you really believe that if those schools want out for the 2 - 2 1/2 times the annual money that they can be kept in? How many separate lawsuits can the ACC fight at once? The answer will be not as many as come at them, Dude. They will negotiate a settlement because they know the GOR would likely be invalidated in court.

Dude.

Lol - ok, Dude. You must have been under a rock for the last six months Dude. FSU has had discussions with both SEC & B1G. Widely reported that they, Clemson and Miami are on the SEC wish list. UNC and UVA are drawing the interest of the B1G as multiple reports from reputable sources have outlined.

Right now the GOR is the only thing holding the conference together. Do you really believe that if those schools want out for the 2 - 2 1/2 times the annual money that they can be kept in? How many separate lawsuits can the ACC fight at once? The answer will be not as many as come at them, Dude. They will negotiate a settlement because they know the GOR would likely be invalidated in court.

Dude.
Must’ve not read anything I said, only thing you addressed was the GOR, in which you didn’t explain how those schools would pay back that financial burden. I’d UVA and UNC don’t move the needle for annual income for each school. They would decrease the payout. B10 wouldn’t take Washington and Oregon for this reason and you think they are taking..... Virginia.. lol

There are limits to conference expansion. 16 teams is a lot for a conference. Going to 18 or 20 makes travel, scheduling, and mostly payouts problematic. Networks won’t be willing to keep paying, paying, paying for additional programs that don’t add significantly to revenue. They won’t be able to charge more for advertising because Virginia joined their league. I also thing the B1G made a huge mistake with USC and UCLA, and likewise the move was foolish for those schools. At some point, the conferences kind of become meaningless. One super conference, with all FBS (or nearly all) negotiating TV rights a la the NFL might be where this is headed, or everyone independent with individual schools having their own tv deals is also a possible end point.

There are limits to conference expansion. 16 teams is a lot for a conference. Going to 18 or 20 makes travel, scheduling, and mostly payouts problematic. Networks won’t be willing to keep paying, paying, paying for additional programs that don’t add significantly to revenue. They won’t be able to charge more for advertising because Virginia joined their league.
Bingo

Reactions: Tommaker
502Cards1: my experience with Ghost was the same as yours; specifically a pattern of responses that suggests that he either did not understand my post, or he just elected to mis-interpret as a way to invoke more banter. I decided that my only recourse is to IGNORE him and avoid any more nonsense.

Last note to both Ghost and KnuckleHank …… there is nothing personal in my decision to IGNORE both of you, as there have been several valued opinions that each of you have posted at times. However, most of our exchanges have not been productive.

Please go ahead and IGNORE me as well, as I do not believe our exchanges have resulted in anything of value to you.

502Cards1: my experience with Ghost was the same as yours; specifically a pattern of responses that suggests that he either did not understand my post, or he just elected to mis-interpret as a way to invoke more banter. I decided that my only recourse is to IGNORE him and avoid any more nonsense.

Last note to both Ghost and KnuckleHank …… there is nothing personal in my decision to IGNORE both of you, as there have been several valued opinions that each of you have posted at times. However, most of our exchanges have not been productive.

Please go ahead and IGNORE me as well, as I do not believe our exchanges have resulted in anything of value to you.

Well that’s unfortunate. I enjoy hearing different opinions from mine. I only put UK trolls on Ignore. Oh well

Well that’s unfortunate. I enjoy hearing different opinions from mine. I only put UK trolls on Ignore. Oh well
I don’t put anyone on ignore - it’s childish and - save name calling which violates the TOS - reflects a brittle spirit. What does it say about someone who is unable to converse with someone simply because they have a different opinion?

Must’ve not read anything I said, only thing you addressed was the GOR, in which you didn’t explain how those schools would pay back that financial burden. I’d UVA and UNC don’t move the needle for annual income for each school. They would decrease the payout. B10 wouldn’t take Washington and Oregon for this reason and you think they are taking..... Virginia.. lol
First off - my apologies for the tone of my reply - it was over the top and I unfortunately lumped it in with some back and forth with other posters where they seemed to intentionally misinterpret what I had said. My bad.

My contention was that those schools mentioned would contest the GOR in court and either have it legally invalidated or, negotiate a settlement that they could afford. Were they to suddenly be getting an extra 50M a year from the SEC or the B1G - that goes a long way towards paying a settlement.

I think UVA / UNC bring in a TV markets that the B1G is not in currently and is interested in and, they academically fit the profile. I think they are in a wait and see with ND and UVA / UNC before making a final decision on Oregon and or Washington. It’s basically a race to 20 with the SEC.

First off - my apologies for the tone of my reply - it was over the top and I unfortunately lumped it in with some back and forth with other posters where they seemed to intentionally misinterpret what I had said. My bad.

My contention was that those schools mentioned would contest the GOR in court and either have it legally invalidated or, negotiate a settlement that they could afford. Were they to suddenly be getting an extra 50M a year from the SEC or the B1G - that goes a long way towards paying a settlement.

I think UVA / UNC bring in a TV markets that the B1G is not in currently and is interested in and, they academically fit the profile. I think they are in a wait and see with ND and UVA / UNC before making a final decision on Oregon and or Washington. It’s basically a race to 20 with the SEC.
I didn’t feel any type of way towards your reply. I just don’t think these teams will sign off with light a benefit to them. Ohio state doesn’t care if there is 20 teams or 16. They want the deal that makes THEM the most money. As does every school in every conference. Like I said above, I don’t believe there are enough schools to do that for the B1G or $EC at this point. I think that was proven when Oregon was shut down. Reports were that it didn’t financially move the needle. TV market won’t matter if I doesn’t increase payout per school. UVA does nothing for them.

I didn’t feel any type of way towards your reply. I just don’t think these teams will sign off with light a benefit to them. Ohio state doesn’t care if there is 20 teams or 16. They want the deal that makes THEM the most money. As does every school in every conference. Like I said above, I don’t believe there are enough schools to do that for the B1G or $EC at this point. I think that was proven when Oregon was shut down. Reports were that it didn’t financially move the needle. TV market won’t matter if I doesn’t increase payout per school. UVA does nothing for them.
I understand your opinion - it just runs counter to what has already happened and, what is reported to be under consideration by the B1G. Based upon your thinking, they wouldn’t have added Maryland and, clearly, either tISU agrees with the expansion plans or, doesn’t have the power to stop it. Adding UVA and or UNC expands their footprint into TV markets that they’re not currently in - which has been the stated point all along.

Its not only childish but it goes with my contention that 2330859 believes he is the all knowing, all expert of U of L sports and doesn't want to read or hear if someone has a different opinion... Of course, he won't read this because he has me blocked...

Its not only childish but it goes with my contention that 2330859 believes he is the all knowing, all expert of U of L sports and doesn't want to read or hear if someone has a different opinion... Of course, he won't read this because he has me blocked...
Exactly. It is interesting that for such an “expert” he brings zero facts to the discussion and, doesn’t apparently read any reporting relevant to whatever discussion he or she chimes in on. As I said previously, putting other fans on ignore is childish but given that there is such a limited amount of posters here - really does speak to only wanting to reside in an echo chamber. You and me maybe but, to put Hank on ignore - one of the most reasonable and knowledgeable posters on here - is laughably pathetic.

Exactly. It is interesting that for such an “expert” he brings zero facts to the discussion and, doesn’t apparently read any reporting relevant to whatever discussion he or she chimes in on. As I said previously, putting other fans on ignore is childish but given that there is such a limited amount of posters here - really does speak to only wanting to reside in an echo chamber. You and me maybe but, to put Hank on ignore - one of the most reasonable and knowledgeable posters on here - is laughably pathetic.
Let's all stop bickering, call Jeff and Heird and BPGhost and I will write a check... Easy Peasy.

I remember reading that the politicians in Virginia and North Carolina were road blocks for the Virginia schools and the North Carolina schools leaving the conference without the other schools leaving with them. That along with GOR would keep those schools from leaving As for the Florida schools that is a possibility. When you look at all these schools that move from one conference to another very few of them are successful once they make that move.

I remember reading that the politicians in Virginia and North Carolina were road blocks for the Virginia schools and the North Carolina schools leaving the conference without the other schools leaving with them. That along with GOR would keep those schools from leaving As for the Florida schools that is a possibility. When you look at all these schools that move from one conference to another very few of them are successful once they make that move.
Apparently the only measure of success is money rather than wins and losses. At least it certainly seems that way.

Exactly. Winning is secondary really. This list right here is telling. You can probably add WVU and a few others to the list. Maybe even UofL?
I was going to put us, but we weren't P5 when we "changed conferences".

All the above went from "P5" to "bigger" P5. And all have done worse. , Miami has done horribly worse. Nine BE conference championships to ONE in the ACC in almost 20 years.

We went from FBS D1 to P5 and the jury is still out on how we will fare.

It is not confined to Brohm and Satterfield; lots of upsets and plenty of disappointing performances by so many teams. Yesterday was another classic example of what happens when a team is hampered with turnovers ……. Syracuse enjoyed the mistakes by Clemson, until Clemson made some personnel changes and eliminated their mistakes. Pitt was another example.

It is not confined to Brohm and Satterfield; lots of upsets and plenty of disappointing performances by so many teams. Yesterday was another classic example of what happens when a team is hampered with turnovers ……. Syracuse enjoyed the mistakes by Clemson, until Clemson made some personnel changes and eliminated their mistakes. Pitt was another example.
Satt won the great Brohm hmm!

I still contend when your talent level is equal week to week results are going to be 50-50. It is just tough. Until Louisville improves their talent level I don’t care who the coach is they are destined to 6-6 or 7-5 or when things bounce your way maybe 8-4. Look around the country.

People keep saying the class has no impact on the decision. Louisville has never had a top 15 type class. Think Strong and his recruiting it matters.

I still contend when your talent level is equal week to week results are going to be 50-50. It is just tough. Until Louisville improves their talent level I don’t care who the coach is they are destined to 6-6 or 7-5 or when things bounce your way maybe 8-4. Look around the country.

People keep saying the class has no impact on the decision. Louisville has never had a top 15 type class. Think Strong and his recruiting it matters.
When U of L joined the ACC i always felt like your stated records they would pretty much stay in that range. Exactly because of the level of talent we would always have. No matter the coach we will more than likely be just hovering a game or two above .500 most years. And looking at Brohm at Purdue that will still be par the course

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT