ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm and Purdue killing it again.

I want to put the Brohm talk to bed and see how the rest of the season plays out but I do want to touch on one more thing that Ghost alluded to. Purdue's football stadium turns 99 years old either this year or next. Have you been to a game there? I have. The stadium sits in the middle of campus with really no good options for parking. They keep putting renovations in on a dinosaur. The feeling is old. The seats are bleachers with barely enough room to put your butt between the two lines marked for a seat. Forget about getting up and going to the bathroom or concession stand during the game, you can't get out of your aisle. Cardinal Stadium is a much more attractive setting along with the fact that Louisville has so many attractions (distractions) than Purdue's campus out in the fabulous booming metropolis of West Lafayette.. So yes, with U of L's facilities and the background that the campus resides in, I contend it is way easier to recruit a player to Louisville than Purdue.

The game I went to was Purdue vs TCU a couple of years ago I think but yes, the stadium was packed and people were butt to butt unlike recent games vs Pitt, Wake and JMU.

I want to put the Brohm talk to bed and see how the rest of the season plays out but I do want to touch on one more thing that Ghost alluded to. Purdue's football stadium turns 99 years old either this year or next. Have you been to a game there? I have. The stadium sits in the middle of campus with really no good options for parking. They keep putting renovations in on a dinosaur. The feeling is old. The seats are bleachers with barely enough room to put your butt between the two lines marked for a seat. Forget about getting up and going to the bathroom or concession stand during the game, you can't get out of your aisle. Cardinal Stadium is a much more attractive setting along with the fact that Louisville has so many attractions (distractions) than Purdue's campus out in the fabulous booming metropolis of West Lafayette.. So yes, with U of L's facilities and the background that the campus resides in, I contend it is way easier to recruit a player to Louisville than Purdue.

The game I went to was Purdue vs TCU a couple of years ago I think but yes, the stadium was packed and people were butt to butt unlike recent games vs Pitt, Wake and JMU.

Purdue’s total full-time, undergraduate enrollment is 37,000-ish; the majority of whom live on campus. UofL’s full-time undergraduate enrollment is 15,830.

That disparity exists when comparing UofL to other universities too.

UK -21,000 full-time undergrads
Clemson -21,000 full-time undergrads
IU -34,253 “”
NC State -26,505 “”

and schools with the REALLY BIG football stadiums?

Texas A&M -57,000 undergrads
Ohio State - 47,000 undergrads
Penn St -40,000 undergrads
Michigan -32,000 undergrads
Alabama -32,000 undergrads
LSU -29,000 undergrads
Tenn -25,000 undergrads

That is a massive difference and explains a great deal of the attendance disparity. Add those numbers up year after year after year and you can easily see why UofL’s fan base and alumni base fall behind other universities.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
Purdue’s total full-time, undergraduate enrollment is 37,000-ish; the majority of whom live on campus. UofL’s full-time undergraduate enrollment is 15,830.

IU -34,253 “”
NC State -26,505 “”

LSU -29,000 undergrads
Tenn -25,000 undergrads

That is a massive difference and explains a great deal of the attendance disparity. Add those numbers up year after year after year and you can easily see why UofL’s fan base and alumni base fall behind other universities.
Just curious? Why count only student enrollment? Only students and graduates go to football games? What is the population of Louisville vs West Lafayette?

IU -34,253 “”
NC State -26,505 “”

LSU -29,000 undergrads
Tenn -25,000 undergrads

Just curious? Why count only student enrollment? Only students and graduates go to football games? What is the population of Louisville vs West Lafayette?

IU -34,253 “”
NC State -26,505 “”

LSU -29,000 undergrads
Tenn -25,000 undergrads

Student enrollment is tied to alumni base which is indicative of the size of the fan base. Does UofL have fans who did not attend the University? Of course they do! But so does every other University and they have that in addition to huge alumni base.

I didn’t include graduate enrollment simple because graduate students are far less likely to attend games due to the demands of their programs AND graduate students generally retain loyalty to their undergrad university rather than their grad school.

However, even if I did include graduate enrollment, most overall student populations are much larger than UofL’s.

Finally, I don’t believe that the size of the city really plays into the size of attendance cleanly. If it did, schools like SMU, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Miami would have larger attendance numbers than big schools in small towns like IU, Purdue, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc.

Student enrollment is tied to alumni base which is indicative of the size of the fan base. Does UofL have fans who did not attend the University? Of course they do! But so does every other University and they have that in addition to huge alumni base.

I didn’t include graduate enrollment simple because graduate students are far less likely to attend games due to the demands of their programs AND graduate students generally retain loyalty to their undergrad university rather than their grad school.

However, even if I did include graduate enrollment, most overall student populations are much larger than UofL’s.

Finally, I don’t believe that the size of the city really plays into the size of attendance cleanly. If it did, schools like SMU, Georgia Tech, Boston College, and Miami would have larger attendance numbers than big schools in small towns like IU, Purdue, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc.
I'm sorry you have done nothing to dispel the fact that it might be harder to recruit at Purdue than Louisville..

Your position is it is a well known fact that it is harder to recruit to Purdue. I will grant you that argument. That also means Brohm is fully aware of that fact. He knows how hard it to recruit to Purdue compared to Louisville.

Brohm, considered by many, is very good coach. Brohm decides he wants to stay at Purdue where it is much tougher to get best players. In what world does that makes sense?

He isn’t going to tank his career by staying at a place he can’t recruit to especially if he has a better option that wanted him. At the very least he thought he could recruit at a high level at Purdue.

Brohm is the expert in this field not us. His actions told you what he thought about recruiting and the Purdue program compared to Louisville.

Last edited:
I was talking about attendance, not recruiting.
If one had to pick only one measure that would best track attendance it would be the school's number of Living Alumni. Right after that would be the number of Living Alumni of schools typically played as opponents during a season. And after that would be the average winning percentage in games played in a more recent period. Say 5 years or so.

Reactions: gocds and BPGhost
Your position is it is a well known fact that it is harder to recruit to Purdue. I will grant you that argument. That also means Brohm is fully aware of that fact. He knows how hard it to recruit to Purdue compared to Louisville.

Brohm, considered by many, is very good coach. Brohm decides he wants to stay at Purdue where it is much tougher to get best players. In what world does that makes sense?

He isn’t going to tank his career by staying at a place he can’t recruit to especially if he has a better option that wanted him. At the very least he thought he could recruit at a high level at Purdue.

Brohm is the expert in this field not us. His actions told you what he thought about recruiting and the Purdue program compared to Louisville.
Rather then speculating, or filtering his actions through your personal lens, perhaps it would make the most sense if we simply took the man at his word. Brohm has said repeatedly that the timing wasn’t right for him regarding the UofL opening in 2019. Simple as that.

I too think that the Brohm talk should be put to rest to see how the remainder of the season plays out for Satterfield & Co.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Acting like Purdue is similar to coaching at Vandy or Duke lol

I’m telling you guys, there’s no difference between our programs in the grand scheme or things.

Brohm being average at Purdue has nothing to do with a lack of resources. Brohm is being paid big money and they’ll support him. He has control their and he’s chosen to have a staff that’s his guys, his choice. He’s not bringing in elite assistants.

Guys that are great coaches show it no matter where they are. James Franklin won 9 games back to back years at Vandy. Steve Spurrier won an ACC title at Duke and had SC in the SEC title game and top 10 even with being at a big disadvantage. Urban Meyer won at BGSU and had Utah in the BCS with a #1 draft pick.

I don’t see him at Purdue as some guy maximizing the most with no resources. I see a decent coach at a middle tier Big Ten school. Has some good years and some bad years. His teams don’t scream consistency or overachieving. They’re just solid. And sometimes that’s all you can do.

Whether we stay with Satt or get Brohm, it’ll just keep us in the range of Wake, BC, UVA, NC State, Cuse, Pitt, etc. where we are now. Average teams that fight for who has a good team every 4-5 years and the other years hover around 5-8. And maybe that’s what we are and if we don’t want to shoot for the moon, then fine.

Why would anyone be more impressed with Satterfield than Brohm?

Except for social media, the next time I take an 18 year old’s impression of anything seriously will be the first time…
Because Brohm had a chance to be here and walked away. Satterfield had that chance. came and had stayed. Other things being equal, give me the guy who came and stayed.

Reactions: gocds
Acting like Purdue is similar to coaching at Vandy or Duke lol

I’m telling you guys, there’s no difference between our programs in the grand scheme or things.

Brohm being average at Purdue has nothing to do with a lack of resources. Brohm is being paid big money and they’ll support him. He has control their and he’s chosen to have a staff that’s his guys, his choice. He’s not bringing in elite assistants.

Guys that are great coaches show it no matter where they are. James Franklin won 9 games back to back years at Vandy. Steve Spurrier won an ACC title at Duke and had SC in the SEC title game and top 10 even with being at a big disadvantage. Urban Meyer won at BGSU and had Utah in the BCS with a #1 draft pick.

I don’t see him at Purdue as some guy maximizing the most with no resources. I see a decent coach at a middle tier Big Ten school. Has some good years and some bad years. His teams don’t scream consistency or overachieving. They’re just solid. And sometimes that’s all you can do.

Whether we stay with Satt or get Brohm, it’ll just keep us in the range of Wake, BC, UVA, NC State, Cuse, Pitt, etc. where we are now. Average teams that fight for who has a good team every 4-5 years and the other years hover around 5-8. And maybe that’s what we are and if we don’t want to shoot for the moon, then fine
Lol - you’re right. Vandy was 31-32 from 2012-2016. Duke was 37-28 in the same span. Purdoo was 9 and freaking 39 from 2012-2016.

Because Brohm had a chance to be here and walked away. Satterfield had that chance. came and had stayed. Other things being equal, give me the guy who came and stayed.
So in your world - staying at P5 / B1G purdoo making 5M a year is the equivalent of leaving FCS / Sunbelt App St (where he was making 612K) to take a job for 3.5M at P5 UofL?

Lol - you can’t make this shit up.

I'm sorry you have done nothing to dispel the fact that it might be harder to recruit at Purdue than Louisville..
Purdue has an excellent academic reputation, a statewide fan base, B1G money, history, and reputation. UofL just hasn’t been playing big boy football that long, and doesn’t have a long winning tradition. All those things play in to it.

So in your world - staying at P5 / B1G purdoo making 5M a year is the equivalent of leaving FCS / Sunbelt App St (where he was making 612K) to take a job for 3.5M at P5 UofL?

Lol - you can’t make this shit up.
Who wanted to be here? Who didn’t? I don’t have time for people who don’t want to be here.

Lol - you’re right. Vandy was 31-32 from 2012-2016. Duke was 37-28 in the same span. Purdoo was 9 and freaking 39 from 2012-2016.
And that’s correct. It’s also correct that hometown catholic school Scott Brohmfield is an average to above average coach. Below our standards.

I’m fine if you think that we have a firm ceiling and that’s guy that will stay here will make our fans happy. But if we’re lowering standards and not going to reach higher, that’s where we stop Howard’s vision.

Who was taking a pay cut? Who was quintupling their salary? Perhaps you should make time to see the obvious.
You are implying timing was the only factor in his decision. This is a fact he believes he can win big there. If you dispute that fact. Why would we want a coach that doesn’t believe he can win big at the program he is currently coaching?

It doesn’t matter what our opinions are his actions told us he believed Purdue was a better place.

Purdue fan here and I come in peace. If Brohm stays we are a program that doesn't have unreasonable expectations. We will pay him very well and if he can be consistently good enough to win 7+ games, own IU, and maybe every once in a while contend he will be very secure. All this speculation however, is getting old. I get the draw to Louisville for him, but I think the time has come for him to commit one way or another. If he goes, I'd thank him for what he's done for us, he took over a complete mess Hazell left him and made it fun to go to Purdue games again. But if he stays, he needs to put this to bed once and for all and commit to us for the long haul. I'm confident if he leaves we'll find another good coach that wants to be at a school with a very loyal fanbase and be paid very well.

Reactions: wed63
Since we have been keeping track of Purdue’s results, let’s note that Purdue beat Big 10 West favorite Illinois today. Nice road win for the Cardinal alum.
Agree and Brohm took over a team that went 9-39 in the 4 years previous to his arrival, went 7-6 in his first season and his Purdue teams are 7-6 vs ranked teams since then. Not too shabby.

I’m surely in the minority because I think JB and Satterfield are both good coaches and I’d be happy with either one of them. Fans are fickle. Anyone beating down the door to hire Porky after yesterday?

Reactions: earsky and BPGhost
Agree and Brohm took over a team that went 9-39 in the 4 years previous to his arrival, went 7-6 in his first season and his Purdue teams are 7-6 vs ranked teams since then. Not too shabby.

I’m surely in the minority because I think JB and Satterfield are both good coaches and I’d be happy with either one of them. Fans are fickle. Anyone beating down the door to hire Porky after yesterday?
If I’m Stupes, I bail on uk for a place like Nebraska. He is very limited as an in game coach but there is no doubt that he has built a solid program in lexington - though he’s failed to fully capitalize on a historically weak sec east . He’s just reached his ceiling in the SEC and with the resurgence of UT and Florida, the yuts are looking at 4th place most years moving forward.

If I’m Stupes, I bail on uk for a place like Nebraska. He is very limited as an in game coach but there is no doubt that he has built a solid program in lexington - though he’s failed to fully capitalize on a historically weak sec east . He’s just reached his ceiling in the SEC and with the resurgence of UT and Florida, the yuts are looking at 4th place most years moving forward.
Forget 4th place if Stoops can't even beat Vandy at home anymore.

I think NIL hurt them. They were probably paying for some players under the table before NIL, but paying a lot less than the NIL going rate today.

I agree that he's reached his ceiling at UK. I think both would benefit with a change. He has a projected #3 pro QB in Levis and a top 5 RB in Rodriquez. The kitties are bemoaning about their OL and they did have 4 guys go pro last year but good football programs just have the next man step up, they don't have to rebuild. We know that all too well.

I agree that he's reached his ceiling at UK. I think both would benefit with a change. He has a projected #3 pro QB in Levis and a top 5 RB in Rodriquez. The kitties are bemoaning about their OL and they did have 4 guys go pro last year but good football programs just have the next man step up, they don't have to rebuild. We know that all too well.
Stupes is a defensive guy who wants to shorten games and win 17-10 as evidenced by his OC hires and, the fact that he has to keep replacing them. He's had like what - 5 or 6 OC's during his tenure? That is evidence of serious dysfunction between the HC and the OC.

The problem with that approach is that with few possessions/opportunities, it magnifies the possessions you do have and means you have to play super clean with few mistakes on offense. Stupes teams have never played clean enough to beat the big boys and the loss to Vandy shows just how thin their margin is. It's not an offense that will ever thrive in the current sec but could be successful in the B1G. With that said, it's beyond hilarious to read the truly delusional posts of the yut fans regarding firing Stupes saying that he is standing in their way of ascending to their rightful place in the sec.

IMO, the situation with Stupes is something that has also hampered Brohm - but in reverse. The up-tempo passing attack that he likes invariably gets affected if not derailed in middle to late-season games in the B1G due to weather. It would be significantly more effective in a warmer weather climate, with fewer instances of high winds and cold.

Reactions: Mayoman
Forget 4th place if Stoops can't even beat Vandy at home anymore.

I think NIL hurt them. They were probably paying for some players under the table before NIL, but paying a lot less than the NIL going rate today.
It's definitely hurt them. To the point of Stupes begging for fans to pony up during his call-in shows. That, and all of the crap being hurled at him by yut fans, will be the reason he leaves.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Purdue beat Big 10 West favorite Illinois today. Nice road win for the Cardinal alum.
Just the type of games that really energize the fanbase and one I had a feeling they might get. That's why I made a little wager on the Boilermakers last Saturday.
These kind of wins-beating teams you're not supposed to-are what brings fans out to the games.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
That is what really makes Brohm a interesting hire when we make a change. He sneaks up and wins some he shouldnt, but the downside is he always loses one he should win. I am a Brohm fan, his style is fun and exciting football and no matter what our opinions may be of Satterfield, Brohm would make games more fun to go watch because offense sells tickets.

I just want to win football games.

Purdue has committed to Brohm. Some programs think they deserve better than an above average coach and keep firing them to risk doing better.

Purdue knows Brohm will be consistent and they’ve invested. They’re happy with where they are and know they don’t need to shoot for higher goals.

Very glad Jeff has a P5 job that pays him well with low expectations.

Purdue has committed to Brohm. Some programs think they deserve better than an above average coach and keep firing them to risk doing better.

Purdue knows Brohm will be consistent and they’ve invested. They’re happy with where they are and know they don’t need to shoot for higher goals.

Sort of like uk :eek:

haha. I see what you did there. I assure you that Purdue has as much or more aspirations than our beloved Cardinals.. I almost see Purdue in the same situation as UK with Stoops. They have a recognized football name and are smart enough to know at this point its unlikely they can get a bigger name than what they have.

Purdue doesn't exactly have all Americans or high draft picks, yet Brohm still has 7 wins over ranked teams. Rondale Moore comes to mind but he missed some of those upsets due to injury.

There is little doubt in my mind if Brohm coached a team with high value offensive players, he would thrive. What he's done so far with mostly 3 star players has been astonishing.

I'm not advocating firing Satterfield just yet but if and when he does leave, UofL has to do what it can to hire Jeff Brohm.

There is a huge myth going around about any disadvantage that Purdue and the rest of the BIG10 have when recruiting athletes.

Most Universities have some program that achieves a reputation as “superior” to others. Purdue‘s Engineering School is well deserving of it’s excellent recognition. At the same time, UL’s Speed engineering school may not be anywhere close to the size of Purdue, but it‘s graduates are equally coveted by those companies who hire them. UL’s research partnership with UNC is currently a well-kept secret, but over time will gain the recognition that goes with success.

The vast majority of athletes who compete in their school’s respective sports programs are generally enrolled in their undergraduate classes and there is very little difference in qualification for recruiting purposes. Rondale Moore serves as a perfect example; he was a 5’7” freak athlete from Trinity who was recruited by most everyone including UL and Purdue. He did not graduate from Purdue, as he left early to do what everyone expected him to do …….. play football in the NFL.

There are no 4 or 5 Star HS recruits that can not get into Purdue or any other school. The problem with both Purdue and UL ……. Is that most of these highly rated recruits that can go to Purdue, are more inclined to attend OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin or Penn State. Conversely, those same recruits considering UL will likely be the same ones that Clemson, Kentucky, Miami, FSU or UT are pursuing.

Pierce Clarkson was offered a scholarship by a ton of schools, a list that included Purdue and UL; so far it appears that Satterfield has won that battle over Brohm ……. Obviously inferior or superior academic qualification had no affect on selection.

Reactions: Mayoman
Purdue doesn't exactly have all Americans or high draft picks, yet Brohm still has 7 wins over ranked teams. Rondale Moore comes to mind but he missed some of those upsets due to injury.

There is little doubt in my mind if Brohm coached a team with high value offensive players, he would thrive. What he's done so far with mostly 3 star players has been astonishing.

I'm not advocating firing Satterfield just yet but if and when he does leave, UofL has to do what it can to hire Jeff Brohm.
No way we can outbid a B1G school. They are swimming in dollars. Brohm can name his price.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT