ADVERTISEMENT

Brent Venables (more LOL)...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...Listening to a can-Bobby clown caller on the radio NOW saying that the next guy should be Brent Venables.

The guy was undoubtedly on the Brohm bandwagon two weeks ago.

Anyone understand how stupid you look?...

To answer Zipp, no. They have no idea what they want, who's best, or how to fix things. But hey, they paid for cheap season tickets and tailgated, so it's their opinion matters. I swear our fans are as dumb as SUCKs fans.

To be clear, I'm OK with fans saying they don't like what they see. Hell, Petrino will agree.

What's a joke is most fans thinking they know the right fix... Change the offense, switch QBs, sack the coach. And when that's proven, they just ignore the proof,and do the stupid thing all over again.

Funny as hell...

To answer Zipp, no. They have no idea what they want, who's best, or how to fix things. But hey, they paid for cheap season tickets and tailgated, so it's their opinion matters. I swear our fans are as dumb as SUCKs fans.
Like all fans everywhere

Reactions: Senore2006
I think we should let it ride 2 more seasons with Bobby, but venables is the only guy I would take a flyer on if he expressed interest if Bobby doesn’t stay on the track of 8-9 wins in those seasons. Defense wins football games, and he is the best in the business outside of Saban and maybe foster.

I think we should let it ride 2 more seasons with Bobby, but venables is the only guy I would take a flyer on if he expressed interest at this point. Defense wins football games, and he is the best in the business outside of Saban and maybe foster.
He’s a big jerk, but he’d be OUR big jerk. He may have the same problem in reverse- can a guy so known for defense attract offensive staff? Does he even care about offense? There is a reason he is not a head coach yet, and it’s not because he hasn’t had opportunities.

Reactions: vegasville1
I think we should let it ride 2 more seasons with Bobby, but venables is the only guy I would take a flyer on if he expressed interest at this point. Defense wins football games, and he is the best in the business outside of Saban and maybe foster.
Petrino is the coach and will be the coach for at least a couple more years. All this talk about a change is really premature.

...Listening to a can-Bobby clown caller on the radio NOW saying that the next guy should be Brent Venables.

The guy was undoubtedly on the Brohm bandwagon two weeks ago.

Anyone understand how stupid you look?...
I think we should let it ride 2 more seasons with Bobby, but venables is the only guy I would take a flyer on if he expressed interest if Bobby doesn’t stay on the track of 8-9 wins in those seasons. Defense wins football games, and he is the best in the business outside of Saban and maybe foster.
Defense keeps you in games but offense wins them. Just look at the scores of the last few championship games.

Taking your idea seriously, how do you know Venables can recruit great defensive players to U of L? And how do you know he can run a good offense?

Quite honestly, we don't. You're just taking a gamble...

I’m behind Petrino...let’s remember we were in the playoff hunt late in the season the year before last. That being said, it’s also reasonable for fans to see some troubling signs. Our defense is obviously not physical enough. We are a poor tackling team and our d line was getting pushed around by a horrible FCS school. It seems that we are already better than alignment and assignment versus last year so that’s a positive. We cannot continue to recycle DCs though.

I think our offense will be fine but our inability to establish a running game with a running back is not a great sign.

I am concerned about inexperience and/or lack of track record from our assistant coaches (except Coach Summers).

Taking your idea seriously, how do you know Venables can recruit great defensive players to U of L? And how do you know he can run a good offense?

Quite honestly, we don't. You're just taking a gamble...
Players are willing to play for a guy that puts players in the nfl. He’s done a pretty good job with that so far between Oklahoma and Clemson. Bobby P can get players on his offense drafted. That’s why we have had no problems attracting good QBs and WRs. We need that on the defensive side of the ball as well. Hopefully BVG has success and we won’t need to have wholesale changes to get a good defense. I can already tell he’s better than Sirmon. Whether or not he can take us to the level of the Strong defenses that could get us to a playoff when combined with the Petrino offense remains to be seen.

Players are willing to play for a guy that puts players in the nfl. He’s done a pretty good job with that so far between Oklahoma and Clemson. Bobby P can get players on his offense drafted. That’s why we have had no problems attracting good QBs and WRs. We need that on the defensive side of the ball as well. Hopefully BVG has success and we won’t need to have wholesale changes to get a good defense. I can already tell he’s better than Sirmon. Whether or not he can take us to the level of the Strong defenses that could get us to a playoff when combined with the Petrino offense remains to be seen.
It seems to me like all you're doing is trading potential defensive issues for the same on offense. And I don't know that we recruit all that much better offensive guys than we do on defense right now.

I'm always interested in change for the better, but not usually change for the sake of change. If we MUST do something--like Petrino bolts for a better job--then you make the best guess you can at the next coach. But if all I'm doing is guessing, that's not the proper construct for change on its own merits.

This is what most who advocate change fail to understand. You're just guessing...

It seems to me like all you're doing is trading potential defensive issues for the same on offense. And I don't know that we recruit all that much better offensive guys than we do on defense right now.

I'm always interested in change for the better, but not usually change for the sake of change. If we MUST do something--like Petrino bolts for a better job--then you make the best guess you can at the next coach. But if all I'm doing is guessing, that's not the proper construct for change on its own merits.

This is what most who advocate change fail to understand. You're just guessing...
I am not advocating for hiring him tomorrow, but if we field mediocre teams the next few years around 6-7 wins, then it may be time for a change. The best records we’ve had over the last 5 years have been teams that have had strong defenses. Granted one of those teams was in the AAC, but still an 11 win season. 2014 had a mediocre offensive personnel and we had 9 wins and took a college football playoff FSU team that lost 1 game in 2 years to the wire. A mediocre defense is a lot more detrimental than a mediocre offense just based off of these last few years. But I will admit that I’m slightly biased because I’ve preferred to watch teams with a strong defense.

To be clear, I'm OK with fans saying they don't like what they see. Hell, Petrino will agree.

What's a joke is most fans thinking they know the right fix... Change the offense, switch QBs, sack the coach. And when that's proven, they just ignore the proof,and do the stupid thing all over again.

Funny as hell...

FARRRR THAT PITRINA

As am I. After our WKU game, we have no more cupcakes on the schedule.
Think it's too early to tell who has a good team and who doesn't sans the top 5 teams or so in the country. Lets look at the teams left on the schedule.

WKU - 0-2 and just lost to Maine.
UVA, - 1-1 and just lost to Indiana.
FSU - 1-1 and struggled against Samford.
GT - 1-1 and just lost to USF.
BC - 2-0 and hasn't played anyone yet.
Wake Forrest - 2-0. Same as BC. Hasn't played anyone yet.
Clemson - 2-0. Barely beat a good Texas A&M team but did win.
Syracuse - 2-0. Hasn't played anyone yet.
NC State - 2-0. Hasn't played anyone yet.
UofK - 2-0. FINALLY beat UF. Still, it's UofK.

Way too early to tell if any of those teams after WKU will be cupcakes.

If he doesn’t beat either FSU or UK or both, he needs to be assessed at the end of this year, not two more.
Probably true. I guess it depends on the final results of the season. If the Cards lose to just Clemson going forward and finish 10-2, all the talk about Petrino getting whacked will be a distant memory.

For the record, I do NOT think the Cards will finish 10-2. I'm hoping for a bowl eligible year after what I've seen thus far. We will see.

Reactions: gocards1987
We're in a situation where someone has to make a decision and its not going to be popular no matter the outcome. Similar to what UGA did with Richt. We're in year 5 of Petrino...the "give him some time" boat has sailed. UofLs schedule is very, very manageable this year with a 10-2 record very possible.

So, someone needs to decide that once UofL inevitably goes 8-4 or 7-5 again and loses to a second tier SEC school in whatever mid-level bowl we get...if thats where we want the program to stay. At some point someone needs to decide what's good enough for the athletic department....

Petrino is obviously a good coach, good play caller and his demeanor and personality have improved with age and scandal but someone needs to decide if thats what UofL is satisfied being. If you want to maintain the 8-4 record and be a top 30-50 school that challenges for a conference title once or twice a decade...then we're good. If you want to fill those new seats and actually challenge the ACC....somebody has got to make some tough choices.

Look before Clemson became this juggernaut, diehard fans were thinking the same thing about Dabo. Dabo was smart enough to have a great, not jus good DC in Venables as well as other asst coaches. CBP needs to remember we are no longer in conference USA or the AAC and realize you can’t just try to outscore opponents. We need fast players at all the positions not just WRs.

Reactions: BPGhost
So, someone needs to decide that once UofL inevitably goes 8-4 or 7-5 again.

7-5 again? They haven't gone 7-5 under 2.0 yet, not once in the 4 yrs and you post as if 7 wins is the norm.

This is odd. People are bringing this 7 win mark in all their anti 2.0 yet he hasn't won that few of games one time during 2.0.

I don't even have an opinion on all this it's just so weird seeing so many alternative facts from multiple sources.

Your overall body of work is fine it may be true Petrino isn't the one to take this program where you want it to go. As they say in Star Trek to boldly go where it's not gone before.

For the Georgia there are examples of the opposite. Texas, Nebraska, Michigan. You know, prior powers. Which the Cards aren't.

But I agree with the goals. Be a top dog!!!

7-5 again? They haven't gone 7-5 under 2.0 yet, not once in the 4 yrs and you post as if 7 wins is the norm.

This is odd. People are bringing this 7 win mark in all their anti 2.0 yet he hasn't won that few of games one time during 2.0.

I don't even have an opinion on all this it's just so weird seeing so many alternative facts from multiple sources.

Your overall body of work is fine it may be true Petrino isn't the one to take this program where you want it to go. As they say in Star Trek to boldly go where it's not gone before.

For the Georgia there are examples of the opposite. Texas, Nebraska, Michigan. You know, prior powers. Which the Cards aren't.

But I agree with the goals. Be a top dog!!!

True...the 7-5 reference was more of a reference to being "mediocre" than his actual record. I guess people assume 7-5 because he's lost 5 games twice in his 4 years and you associate 5 losses with only 7 wins.

One thing I've noticed from looking through Bobby 2.0s record is that the the vast majority of his wins are all against the absolute worst teams on the schedule....His record vs even teams with a winning record is not pretty.

Combined conference record of teams Petrino beat that year.

2017 - 9-23
2016 - 16-32
2015 - 9-31
2014 - 12-28

He has never beaten an ACC opponent that has a winning conference record.
He's 1-12 vs ranked opponents, 1-3 in bowls, lost to UK as a 4 touchdown favorite and has lost to Wake, BC, Houston and UVA while favored and I would venture to wager that the road win at Notre Dame is his only win being an underdog (and that ND team lost something like 5 of their last 6)

Last edited:
True...the 7-5 reference was more of a reference to being "mediocre" than his actual record. I guess people assume 7-5 because he's lost 5 games twice in his 4 years and you associate 5 losses with only 7 wins.

One thing I've noticed from looking through Bobby 2.0s record is that the the vast majority of his wins are all against the absolute worst teams on the schedule....His record vs even teams with a winning record is not pretty.

Indeed and his lack of sideline control is showing!

I would venture to wager that the road win at Notre Dame is his only win being an underdog (and that ND team lost something like 5 of their last 6)

He's 3-9 as an underdog last 4 years. That wasn't vintage ND but they did beat LSU in their bowl.

Petrino ain't Saban. He isn't nearly as good as some say.

I think some of our fans fail to understand their expectations align with being a sustained T5-10 program and that's a reach.

But none of our fans are saying please stop winning once you get to 8 or 9 wins either. If you think the program needs to contend for the ACC every yr you are asking it to be top 5-10 every year.

Who is your next hire?

True...the 7-5 reference was more of a reference to being "mediocre" than his actual record. I guess people assume 7-5 because he's lost 5 games twice in his 4 years and you associate 5 losses with only 7 wins...
Some unhappy fans are clueless as to their own metrics. Here again (I've posted this before) are the most recent years that the following teams have failed to win EIGHT games...

Alabama 2007
Wisconsin 2008
Oklahoma 2009 (regular season)
Clemson 2010
Ohio State 2011
Louisville 2011
USC 2012
Miami 2014
Michigan 2014
Washington 2015
Georgia 2016 (regular season)
LSU 2016 (regular season)
Florida State 2017
Florida 2017

Unless not being better than the football programs at Southern Cal, Miami, Michigan, Washington, Georgia, LSU, Florida, and FSU is not good enough for you.

These same fans typically use stats that aren't validated--proven they correlate with program success--such as record against Top 20 teams. And they don't bother to research how other teams and coaches perform on the same basis. The stats are just quoted as relevant for U of L and that we're bad on that stat. Wrong and wrong.

And fans don't know who they are... I'd argue we're not ANY of those football programs above that we're currently tracking BETTER on this stat. If anything, you should be happy ===> :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
We're in a situation where someone has to make a decision and its not going to be popular no matter the outcome. Similar to what UGA did with Richt. We're in year 5 of Petrino...the "give him some time" boat has sailed. UofLs schedule is very, very manageable this year with a 10-2 record very possible.

So, someone needs to decide that once UofL inevitably goes 8-4 or 7-5 again and loses to a second tier SEC school in whatever mid-level bowl we get...if thats where we want the program to stay. At some point someone needs to decide what's good enough for the athletic department....

Petrino is obviously a good coach, good play caller and his demeanor and personality have improved with age and scandal but someone needs to decide if thats what UofL is satisfied being. If you want to maintain the 8-4 record and be a top 30-50 school that challenges for a conference title once or twice a decade...then we're good. If you want to fill those new seats and actually challenge the ACC....somebody has got to make some tough choices.
Georgia produces the most NFL talent in their backyard. They have top 5 recruiting classes every year.

Richt had an offense with Matt Stafford, AJ Green, & Knowshon Moreno on the same offense....combined with a 3 deep filled with quality offensive linemen. Richt then got to compete in an SEC East with Muschamp at Florida and Dooley/Jones at Tennessee...and couldn't really dominate like he should have with that talent.

I don't think the Richt comparison is close.

Georgia produces the most NFL talent in their backyard. They have top 5 recruiting classes every year.

Richt had an offense with Matt Stafford, AJ Green, & Knowshon Moreno on the same offense....combined with a 3 deep filled with quality offensive linemen. Richt then got to compete in an SEC East with Muschamp at Florida and Dooley/Jones at Tennessee...and couldn't really dominate like he should have with that talent.

I don't think the Richt comparison is close.

The comparison to Richt and UGA wasn't meant to be a comparison of programs, it was meant to simply illustrate the situations both programs were/are in. Stay satisfied with being pretty good - (Richt was 83-37 in the SEC) or try and get better. Obviously UGA and UofL aren't similar programs but Richt but the similarities and the levels of success were similar.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
You should have stopped there.

And ask the Vols how their efforts at self improvement are working out. You ain't Tennessee either...

Fine...so, is there a scenario or a cut off point for you where winning 8 games for "X" number of years starts to put Bobby on the hot seat? Or will you just keep him for life as long he keeps UL bowl eligible?

This is a non-smart a$$ question too. I think this goes to the heart of what we're discussing here.

Richt was at Uga 14 yrs. 2.0 has lasted 4. And as others have pointed out, UofL ain't Uga for a # of reasons, mainly not having backyard talent and/or tradition to have SKY HIGH expectations.

Cards aren't on that level and it is not because of who is the HC. The Cards have never been on Uga level.

You should have stopped there.

And ask the Vols how their efforts at self improvement are working out. You ain't Tennessee either...

Hate agreeing with you. Let's go hi jack a popular basketball thread in a few months and argue about something. #Rememberpointlessarguments2019

Some unhappy fans are clueless as to their own metrics. Here again (I've posted this before) are the most recent years that the following teams have failed to win EIGHT games...

Alabama 2007
Wisconsin 2008
Oklahoma 2009 (regular season)
Clemson 2010
Ohio State 2011
Louisville 2011
USC 2012
Miami 2014
Michigan 2014
Washington 2015
Georgia 2016 (regular season)
LSU 2016 (regular season)
Florida State 2017
Florida 2017

Unless not being better than the football programs at Southern Cal, Miami, Michigan, Washington, Georgia, LSU, Florida, and FSU is not good enough for you.

These same fans typically use stats that aren't validated--proven they correlate with program success--such as record against Top 20 teams. And they don't bother to research how other teams and coaches perform on the same basis. The stats are just quoted as relevant for U of L and that we're bad on that stat. Wrong and wrong.

And fans don't know who they are... I'd argue we're not ANY of those football programs above that we're currently tracking BETTER on this stat. If anything, you should be happy ===> :D

If you are counting 7 win regular seasons are last 7 win season was 2015 not 2011. We beat a aTm team on its 3rd string QB to for Petrino 2.0's only bowl win. The problem with Petrino isn't necessarily the poor seasons though this year could be really bad, its that the ceiling it 8-9 wins. Some of those teams have had 7 win seasons after us but they also fired their coaches. I'm not sure using a team who fired their coach is a positive when considering whether or not Petrino should keep their job. The same argument goes when people mention that Louisville is one of the few teams to have 8 wins over how many ever seasons. Everyone else on that list had well over 8 wins atleast once and most had double digit win seasons more than once while Petrino is barely hitting that bar. The fact that we have 1 win vs ranked teams and are like 3-16 against teams with winning records are valid stats. They are atleast as valid as your stat about the last time we finished with 7 wins.

The way this season is shaping up - 7-5 will be the ceiling and 5-7 is more likely. Petrino needs to take a hard / comprehensive look at all aspects of the program - beginning with himself - and make plans to address where things are not up to his standards. Shouldn’t be hard to identify differentiating issues - after all, he has been successful at every stop - so comparisons abound.

The way this season is shaping up - 7-5 will be the ceiling and 5-7 is more likely. Petrino needs to take a hard / comprehensive look at all aspects of the program - beginning with himself - and make plans to address where things are not up to his standards. Shouldn’t be hard to identify differentiating issues - after all, he has been successful at every stop - so comparisons abound.

Agree with this

Combined conference record of teams Petrino beat that year.

2017 - 9-23
2016 - 16-32
2015 - 9-31
2014 - 12-28

He has never beaten an ACC opponent that has a winning conference record.
He's 1-12 vs ranked opponents, 1-3 in bowls, lost to UK as a 4 touchdown favorite and has lost to Wake, BC, Houston and UVA while favored and I would venture to wager that the road win at Notre Dame is his only win being an underdog (and that ND team lost something like 5 of their last 6)
You were accurate. We went 7-5 in 2015 when we beat A and M in the bowl. However, 8 wins in a season isn’t anything to fire a coach over. We were a year away in 15 just like we are a year away now. The wheels fell off in 16 because of a bad o-line and poor chemistry among the staff and players. It seems like those shouldn’t be a problem in 19.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT