ADVERTISEMENT

It has to be over.

We got lucky with Brohm because he is Mr Louisville….this has been several times. Didn’t Louisville get lucky to land Denny Crum and Rick Pitinio? You can say every good hire has an element of luck tied with good timing. Who cares if they got lucky landing Brohm? They still got him. The results is all the matters.

Let’s see who they land then hear how the administration did great or screw it up again. Guaranteed there will be people on both sides.

Reactions: UofLouisville
We got lucky with Brohm because he is Mr Louisville….this has been several times. Didn’t Louisville get lucky to land Denny Crum and Rick Pitinio? You can say every good hire has an element of luck tied with good timing. Who cares if they got lucky landing Brohm? They still got him. The results is all the matters.

Let’s see who they land then hear how the administration did great or screw it up again. Guaranteed there will be people on both sides.
Crum was dumb luck because he was unproven. Pitino was because of Jurich. And I reiterate, Brohm only because he is Mr Louisville as we wouldn’t get a sniff from Brohm if he grew up somewhere else. And even if we did he would leave like the others.

Petrino was understandably ok getting fired by a clown show. He wasn’t the only coach who ended up looking for a lifeboat; he was lucky his had $14 million in it.

Mack and Satterfield both signed up afterwards but understand that too. Payne I’m sure has figured it out and regrets what he was reportedly talked into.

I’m honestly not sure how anyone can stand back and look at this athletic department debacle and try to blame a bunch of individual coaches. Pure lunacy…
Petrino was “understandably” a coward” who quit on his 2018 team when things started going bad. He’s a disgrace to his profession.

Nobody is saying this athletic department has been good since TJ was booted. I was referencing one guy whose true colors came out at the worst possible time for this football program.

Last edited:
Petrino was understandably ok getting fired by a clown show. He wasn’t the only coach who ended up looking for a lifeboat; he was lucky his had $14 million in it.

Mack and Satterfield both signed up afterwards but understand that too. Payne I’m sure has figured it out and regrets what he was reportedly talked into.

I’m honestly not sure how anyone can stand back and look at this athletic department debacle and try to blame a bunch of individual coaches. Pure lunacy…
You said something about facts? Where might these facts that you speak of be? All you’ve posted in response is wholly subjective opinion.

Perhaps “facts” doesn’t mean what you think it means. 🤔

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Petrino was “understandably” a coward” who quit on his 2018 team when things started going bad. He’s a disgrace to his profession.

Nobody is saying this athletic department has been good since TJ was booted. I was referencing one guy whose true colors came out at the worst possible time for this football program but as the old saying goes, when you fool with sh!t you’re bound to get some on you.
We’ll agree to disagree about a coach who single-handedly brought us our only Heisman Trophy and a legit national championship discussion.

Until those milestones are eclipsed, I’ll look at his 29-14 record between 2014 and 2017 as the truest indicator…

You said something about facts? Where might these facts that you speak of be? All you’ve posted in response is wholly subjective opinion.

Perhaps “facts” doesn’t mean what you think it means. 🤔
Are you using facts to rebut my comments?…

We’ll agree to disagree about a coach who single-handedly brought us our only Heisman Trophy and a legit national championship discussion.

Until those milestones are eclipsed, I’ll look at his 29-14 record between 2014 and 2017 as the truest indicator…
Nah, Love Lamar but I’ll take the 2012-13 Charlie Strong led team that went 13-1 and won the Sugar Bowl over the #4 ranked team in the country over the 2016 team that completely folded down the stretch, not to mention losing at home on Senior Day to an inferior Kentucky team.

“Petrino was understandably ok getting fired by a clown show. He wasn’t the only coach who ended up looking for a lifeboat; he was lucky his had $14 million in it.”

Are you implying that he tanked in order to get pushed out?

Are you using facts to rebut my comments?…
Lots of them. Of course they came prior to your rebuttal which contained zero facts.

You’ll first need to find someone to agree with you that petrino was responsible for signing LJ. Spoiler alert - he wasn’t.

Lamar Thomas was credited as the person that signed LJ - both by numerous football publications as well as LJ himself.

Additionally, being discussed as one of a number of teams that had a shot at the NC in week 10 of the season - could hardly qualify as a milestone. Maybe a milepebble…

The overall record of 12-46. One road win in two years. 5-30 ACC record. Historically low ratings in every measurable category. Lowest number of tickets scanned over a two year span. Program mocked on a national level. No recruits signed for next year.

This is not a resume suggesting a third year. This is a justification for dismissal for cause.

The overall record of 12-46. One road win in two years. 5-30 ACC record. Historically low ratings in every measurable category. Lowest number of tickets scanned over a two year span. Program mocked on a national level. No recruits signed for next year.

This is not a resume suggesting a third year. This is a justification for dismissal for cause.
12-46 is enough for me, I can't get past that. I just have no idea what our admin is going to do. If they want to get rid of him, 12-46 is certainly enough cover.

Last edited:
Crum was dumb luck because he was unproven. Pitino was because of Jurich. And I reiterate, Brohm only because he is Mr Louisville as we wouldn’t get a sniff from Brohm if he grew up somewhere else. And even if we did he would leave like the others.
I agree Jurich made Pitinio happen but he was lucky in the fact Pitinio was even available.

You can say the same about McDonnell, Waltz, swimming coach, field hockey, volleyball and track-field all dumb luck.

Coaches aren’t leaving in all the other sports. Brohm isn’t leaving. Basketball has been the only sport that is struggling finding the right guy. If they find him he won’t leave if he is successful. There aren’t many job like it when it is good.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Nah, Love Lamar but I’ll take the 2012-13 Charlie Strong led team that went 13-1 and won the Sugar Bowl over the #4 ranked team in the country over the 2016 team that completely folded down the stretch, not to mention losing at home on Senior Day to an inferior Kentucky team.
We all like the Sugar Bowl team. And we were on no one’s radar beforehand. Nor did we deserve that.

The 2016 team is the standard we need to aspire to…

We all like the Sugar Bowl team. And we were on no one’s radar beforehand. Nor did we deserve that.

Nailed it TCoE! UofL needs to aspire to having a generational talent playing QB, just next time that happens (which should be any day now given how plentiful those generational talents are) we should aspire to not lose the last three games of the season - getting dominated in two of them.

Not sure why all of you can’t see how that’s a better standard than the one set by the Sugar Bowl champs. 🙄

Nailed it TCoE! UofL needs to aspire to having a generational talent playing QB, just next time that happens (which should be any day now given how plentiful those generational talents are) we should aspire to not lose the last three games of the season - getting dominated in two of them.

Not sure why all of you can’t see how that’s a better standard than the one set by the Sugar Bowl champs. 🙄
And don’t forget how absolutely ugly that Thursday night beatdown to Houston was.

Also the game before against Wake Forest where we had an assistant who had paper with game plan info he got from some disgruntled Wake radio guy. Not blaming Petrino for that but some kind of poison infected the team right after that night.

Come to think of it, I’ll take the 2013-14 team that whipped Miami in a bowl game and ended up in the top 15.

Petrino 2.0 was 29-14 until a clown took over the department…
Seriously, you still want make this argument? Just the change in AD's caused Petrino's record to tank to 7-12 from that point (and almost certainly to 7-14 if he hadn't been canned with 2 games to go)?

Well ok, since this is a basketball board, then let's consider the case of Denny Crum. Most people recognize there was a distinct drop in success the second 15 years of Denny's career versus the first 15 years, which included the two titles and multiple Final Fours. But the first 11 of those second 15 years weren't too shabby... 9 NCAA tournaments in those 11 years, with 6 of the 11 years being Sweet 16's or better, including an Elite 8. Following that, he had a record of 62-62 for his final four years. Did something change at the start of those years? Oh yeah, a new AD, who wanted him gone.

Actually, I agree that it was time for Denny to retire, but he earned the right to do it on his own terms and not with all the public noise and pressure that came at the end. And I don't really believe that the change in AD's caused the poor record those last four years. But neither should Petrino's overall record be embellished beyond what it really was just because there was a change in AD's.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Seriously, you still want make this argument? Just the change in AD's caused Petrino's record to tank to 7-12 from that point (and almost certainly to 7-14 if he hadn't been canned with 2 games to go)?…
I might accept some of that had Petrino been the only coach to fail or mysteriously depart. That’s not what happened…

…Well ok, since this is a basketball board, then let's consider the case of Denny Crum. Most people recognize there was a distinct drop in success the second 15 years of Denny's career versus the first 15 years, which included the two titles and multiple Final Fours. But the first 11 of those second 15 years weren't too shabby... 9 NCAA tournaments in those 11 years, with 6 of the 11 years being Sweet 16's or better, including an Elite 8. Following that, he had a record of 62-62 for his final four years. Did something change at the start of those years? Oh yeah, a new AD, who wanted him gone…
You’ve evidently researched his last 15 years…

How does getting past the first weekend of the NCAA tournament in 40% of those years possibly compare to SIX Final 4s and two championships before that?

They’re not remotely the same esp. considering that the field expanded to 64 teams in 1985.

Jurich had to deal with bad coaches in both of the revenue sports, and he had nothing to do with their failures. Coaches he brought in across the board were successful incl. Pitino and John L. Smith…

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp

Agree with most of this, but Crum was not unproven. He was 86-40 as the head coach at Pierce College before taking a pay cut to become Wooden’s top assistant at UCLA.

The likeliest outcome if Payne is fired is U of L rolls the dice with a relatively unknown guy with promise who’s not commanding top money. His salary plus Payne’s buyout has to be cash flowed.
I say roll em! Plenty of guys out there at the mid major level willing and ready to show what they have for basement bargain rate.
There are only a few absolute home run coaches,sure thing guys that could change this mess instantly- but we can't afford them.
Roll the freaking dice on a proven winner,quality recruiter and savvy transfer portal guy that is affordable. Oh yeah,and it would help to bring an exciting style of basketball with him.

I just don’t understand the argument: Petrino tanked because TJ was gone? Petrino needed TJ to hold his hand?
Man you can't fix stupid. That is the most idiotic take he latches onto. Petrino recruited 17 WRs bc Jurich was gone. Petrino couldn't keep or find a a good D coordinator bc Jurich was gone. Psychotic and idiotic!!!

Agree with most of this, but Crum was not unproven. He was 86-40 as the head coach at Pierce College before taking a pay cut to become Wooden’s top assistant at UCLA.
Spot on Pushup. Unproven?? Remind me how many national championships did he sit on the bench as top assistant at UCLA? Man, some to the comments I read show so little lack of historical knowledge

Reactions: SoulSr
Man you can't fix stupid. That is the most idiotic take he latches onto. Petrino recruited 17 WRs bc Jurich was gone. Petrino couldn't keep or find a a good D coordinator bc Jurich was gone. Psychotic and idiotic!!!
You’re looking for a technical cause-and-effect which doesn’t exist. It’s relationships.

Why did the best soccer coach in the school’s history just walk away inexplicably?…

You’re looking for a technical cause-and-effect which doesn’t exist. It’s relationships.

Why did the best soccer coach in the school’s history just walk away inexplicably?…
Zipp - he had four family members on staff and his daughter was running the foundation. He had plenty of relationships that were depending on his success. He chose to cut and run and leave a mess. He also couldn’t find capable assistants because of his poor relationship reputation.

Zipp - he had four family members on staff and his daughter was running the foundation. He had plenty of relationships that were depending on his success. He chose to cut and run and leave a mess. He also couldn’t find capable assistants because of his poor relationship reputation.
You guys are busting your a$$ trying to explain ONE coincidence when there were a dozen more.

Why does a longstanding tennis coach suddenly have player issues?

And BTW, doesn’t Brohm have just as many family members working on his behalf? But it’s ok for him…

You guys are busting your a$$ trying to explain ONE coincidence when there were a dozen more.

Why does a longstanding tennis coach suddenly have player issues?

And BTW, doesn’t Brohm have just as many family members working on his behalf? But it’s ok for him…
It was ok for Petrino to have that many. The issue was that it was due to the fact that he had trouble recruiting assistants.

Reactions: BPGhost
It was ok for Petrino to have that many. The issue was that it was due to the fact that he had trouble recruiting assistants.
You’re still looking for explanations for a coincidence. Why did the softball and golf coaches decide to retire. (In the latter case, I know why firsthand…)

Maybe you should go directly to the source.

“Thirteen years ago, God blessed Tina and I with the opportunity to come to Louisville and be a part of this amazing Cardinal family and the Louisville community. We are forever grateful for the acceptance, support, and love we have received from the Louisville community. It has been an honor and a privilege to represent such an outstanding institution and special community,” Lolla said. “Recently, we have received similar promptings from God that it is time to seek new challenges. We have always been faithful to those promptings and we will move forward faithfully, knowing there is a calling we are to fulfill.

“It has been our mission to leave the men’s soccer program better than we have found it. We are proud of the University of Louisville soccer program that has been built and our humble role in helping young men reach their true potential in all areas of life, while representing the University at the highest level. The program is poised for further growth and great achievement. We are so delighted to call Louisville home.” Ken Lolla.

He didn’t walk away inexplicably. It just doesn’t fit your dumb and tired narrative.

“Thirteen years ago, God blessed Tina and I with the opportunity to come to Louisville and be a part of this amazing Cardinal family and the Louisville community. We are forever grateful for the acceptance, support, and love we have received from the Louisville community. It has been an honor and a privilege to represent such an outstanding institution and special community,” Lolla said. “Recently, we have received similar promptings from God that it is time to seek new challenges. We have always been faithful to those promptings and we will move forward faithfully, knowing there is a calling we are to fulfill.

“It has been our mission to leave the men’s soccer program better than we have found it. We are proud of the University of Louisville soccer program that has been built and our humble role in helping young men reach their true potential in all areas of life, while representing the University at the highest level. The program is poised for further growth and great achievement. We are so delighted to call Louisville home.” Ken Lolla.

He didn’t walk away inexplicably. It just doesn’t fit your dumb and tired narrative.
Whoops. That blows some shit up, doesn't it?

Reactions: BPGhost and Art79

Just an amazing coincidence THAT's when he decided his life needed new direction.

And too much class to tell everyone the truth. (BTW, I know his reasoning secondhand...)

In the meantime, our bank accounts started drying up...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT