ADVERTISEMENT

I love Jeff, no question about it, but the honeymoon is over.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
To go 0-3 to close the season, I won't exactly say "unexcusable," but it's pretty GD embarrassing. If you take a step back and look at the big picture, maybe, hopefully, this will turn out to be a good thing. It has been a love fest, after all. Jeff keeps saying he doesn't like to let anyone down. Well, he has. Perhaps this will light an already burning bright fire. I see his passion. I can only hope he's beside himself angry. Keep that fire burning, refocus, and use this late season collapse as motivation.

In hindsight, we should have expected USC to go off like they did. With a new QB, new players everywhere, there was no tape. They are high quality football players. You can see it compared to some of our guys.

Oh, well. The season is over, 2023 is in the books. Some highs, some lows, pretty entertaining if you think about it. The future is bright.

<EDIT> I'd also like to add I'm not mad at all. A bit disappointed, sure. A bit taken back. But, like I said, the future is bright. The right guy is in charge. We've got our coach. Brohm is killing it in the portal, Louisville is a hot brand again, and there's no reason to not have optimism.

Go Cards.

Last edited:
We just aren't there yet...first year, double digit wins (many coming from behind), ACCCG, and playing a pre season national contender in a bowl game. CJB over performed in my eyes, recency bias is a thing.

Reactions: HiStepper and CardX
To go 0-3 to close the season, I won't exactly say "unexcusable," but it's pretty GD embarrassing. If you take a step back and look at the big picture, maybe, hopefully, this will turn out to be a good thing. It has been a love fest, after all. Jeff keeps saying he doesn't like to let anyone down. Well, he has. Perhaps this will light an already burning bright fire. I see his passion. I can only hope he's beside himself angry. Keep that fire burning, refocus, and use this late season collapse as motivation.

In hindsight, we should have expected USC to go off like they did. With a new QB, new players everywhere, there was no tape. They are high quality football players. You can see it compared to some of our guys.

Oh, well. The season is over, 2023 is in the books. Some highs, some lows, pretty entertaining if you think about it. The future is bright.

<EDIT> I'd also like to add I'm not mad at all. A bit disappointed, sure. A bit taken back. But, like I said, the future is bright. The right guy is in charge. We've got our coach. Brohm is killing it in the portal, Louisville is a hot brand again, and there's no reason to not have optimism.

Go Cards.
I agree except for acting like USC had all new players. When they say 20 players didn’t play they need to say how many were actual starters not 3rd stringers entering the portal.
I guarantee you that offensive line wasn’t backups and they were good.
The one receiver was a starter, can’t remember the name, and the dam QB was a stud.
Brohm would have stuck with Gurrendo every series we may have pulled it out idk.
Also when forced to pass the last three games Brohm hardly had Plummer throwing downfield much at all. No slants, seam routes, only a few over the top throws then all check downs or flare passes.
We’ll see next year as the schedule gets tougher imo.

Reactions: RockyMountainCat
Eric Crawford said it best when we got up to 10th. Louisville has earned their ranking, but they aren't the 10th best team in College Football.

So now we are what the W-L record says we are, a 10-4 team with a 10-4 season. I thought preseason we were staring down the barrels of an 8-4 regular season so while not exactly house money...we probably overachieved some of our weaknesses and it's really--gulp--parallel to some problems with Satterfield. His last year our receiving corps was THuddy and a sack of magic beans. This year it was Thrash and a sack of frijoles refritos in retrospect. Needed more spice and less sour cream before going in the oven. Satterfield rode Cunningham virtually out of necessity; Brohm marshalled his resources with Plummer out of necessity. Two completely different offensive stylistic approaches with parallel problems in the end.

No coach will ever turn down a quality run game; we had one to the bitter end and it was probably as good a season from a running back corps and offensive line we've seen since 2006. But for Brohm's offense to be what it was truly meant to be, he has to have a QB that can consistently hit that seam up the hashes 20 yards downfield, and he has to have a combination of run after catch slot people coupled with long stretchers on the outside. Thrash had 64 catches for a reason despite playing a third of the season with a surgically repaired appendage that was never really stated. There really wasn't a second option. He was our pass catcher; everybody else was pretty much a catch dropper.

...and I have never seen a Louisville QB who had the sheer volume of disastrous turnovers as Plummer. In fact I will state I have never seen ANY college QB have that volume. It was never a fumble fought for out of bounds at the 40 or an INT on a deep fade or pass that acted as a punt. It ALWAYS resulted in a huge shift in momentum and a subsequent score. I really do feel bad for the guy because when it was all said and done he was the 3rd Team All-ACC QB; but his highlight reel is more the Pick 6 against UVa that flipped a game on it's head, an all-time boner INT in the endzone in Raleigh, the disastrous fumble against UK practically out of bounds, the baffling INT in the endzone in the ACC Title game or the fumble deep in our territory last night. My God that looks like a lifetime achievement award of Browns QBs.

Nailed it almost every loss was tied to a ridiculous play that just killed momentum or gave it to the other team. It was also easy throws he missed that prevented come backs.

Still he did a very good job outside of 2-3 plays that just made you vomit.

We need the bigger, faster, stronger guys on the DL.
Aenas Peebles, sorry we missed out on him.

Receivers, just the first yr under Brohm, in our programs history we have had more luck finding and developing receivers than linemen, we need to get at least 2 more receivers from the portal. If we need to separate from those Jr and Sr players who are making the field so be it. Get some speed Jeff.

You've upgraded the TE room and recognized the need prior to the season to improve OL talent.

Your headed in the right direction more transfer receivers and DL please.

Nailed it almost every loss was tied to a ridiculous play that just killed momentum or gave it to the other team. It was also easy throws he missed that prevented come backs.

Still he did a very good job outside of 2-3 plays that just made you vomit.
Every loss except Kentucky was tied to horrible play calling especially last night when Gurrendo was the weapon but Brohm went away from him in the first quarter. Pitt was the same, run the ball were you dominated, especially in bad weather.
FSU was not as much on Brohm as the fact FSU knew their defense had to play and they did. Again though more of Gurrendo and a few more passes downfield maybe?
Kentucky was just dumb Kentucky luck imo. 2 boneheaded turnovers and a kickoff return although a couple of holds at the POA.
My assumption 2 losses on Brohm, 1 loss by shooting yourselves in the foot, and FSU dominating defense.

I agree except for acting like USC had all new players. When they say 20 players didn’t play they need to say how many were actual starters not 3rd stringers entering the portal.
I guarantee you that offensive line wasn’t backups and they were good.
The one receiver was a starter, can’t remember the name, and the dam QB was a stud.
Brohm would have stuck with Gurrendo every series we may have pulled it out idk.
Also when forced to pass the last three games Brohm hardly had Plummer throwing downfield much at all. No slants, seam routes, only a few over the top throws then all check downs or flare passes.
We’ll see next year as the schedule gets tougher imo.
I responded to this in another thread. Quote the facts please and do your research. It doesn't make us look any better when you spout falsehoods. Gone was Williams. Gone was starting running back MarShawn Lloyd. Gone were top receiver Brenden Rice and safety Calen Bullock and cornerback Christian Roland-Wallace. USC’s group was gutted, a collection of youngsters and untested vets. The linebacker group and secondary, in particular, was razor-thin, with little experience behind stalwart inside linebackers Mason Cobb and Eric Gentry and a collection of untested defensive backs – corners Prophet Brown and Jacobe Covington, nickelback Tre’Quon Fegans, and safety Anthony Beavers Jr. earning a start.

I responded to this in another thread. Quote the facts please and do your research. It doesn't make us look any better when you spout falsehoods. Gone was Williams. Gone was starting running back MarShawn Lloyd. Gone were top receiver Brenden Rice and safety Calen Bullock and cornerback Christian Roland-Wallace. USC’s group was gutted, a collection of youngsters and untested vets. The linebacker group and secondary, in particular, was razor-thin, with little experience behind stalwart inside linebackers Mason Cobb and Eric Gentry and a collection of untested defensive backs – corners Prophet Brown and Jacobe Covington, nickelback Tre’Quon Fegans, and safety Anthony Beavers Jr. earning a start.
Louisville had as many starters gone as USC.

If you couldn’t watch their passing offense and come to the conclusion it was the best we’ve seen this season then I can’t help you.

Brohm came in cocky, talking about playing all the young guys to Paul Rogers because, like you he thought USC would be a cakewalk.

Well some damn cake that turned out to be.

Let Brohm build his roster. We definitely over achieved this year. Good things are coming.
just a reminder that our previous coach had our highest ranked recruiting class EVER coming in and we fired him and our current rankings are the worst or close to the worst we've had in a decade. fingers crossed it changes but as of now we're living on a prayer, not on reality.

just a reminder that our previous coach had our highest ranked recruiting class EVER coming in and we fired him and our current rankings are the worst or close to the worst we've had in a decade. fingers crossed it changes but as of now we're living on a prayer, not on reality.
Wow. Here we go again. 🙄

Reactions: BPGhost
Sorry, but no one should blame Brohm for the ball that Plummer dropped (it was not stripped), or the blocked punt. Go back and look at UK’s Brown KO return for a TD and the fumbles. As far as that loss to FSU, despite playing without Travis, the Noles talent and experience was at another level for any 1st HC to overcome with a roster loaded with transfers.

The difference between USC and U of L is that USC reloads.

Love Brohm on the sidelines.

10-1 was fool's gold...
Bowls are tough to predict. The truth is we don’t know their roster. They had 6 weeks getting ready with their backups and they all have been practicing all year as a unit. It wasn’t like they played like week and then had wholesale changes. That offense was going to put up points. Riley a terrific offense coach that exploited Louisville defense. Ended up being a bad matchup. Tie it with a bad defensive game plan it you get those results.

I hate the notion that 10-1 is fools gold. I do think the roster was limited and was exposed against the better teams. The concern going forward is on the defensive side.

Bowls are tough to predict. The truth is we don’t know their roster. They had 6 weeks getting ready with their backups and they all have been practicing all year as a unit. It wasn’t like they played like week and then had wholesale changes. That offense was going to put up points. Riley a terrific offense coach that exploited Louisville defense. Ended up being a bad matchup. Tie it with a bad defensive game plan it you get those results.

I hate the notion that 10-1 is fools gold. I do think the roster was limited and was exposed against the better teams. The concern going forward is on the defensive side.
Do people even realize things like the offensive line wasn’t backup’s?

Some of the receivers weren’t backup’s either.

Brohm definitely overlooked USC and tgat crazy with Riley coaching them.

Why do you continue to post objectively false statements? Is it simply that you don’t know better or, is there something else going on?

1. sunbelt scotty wasn’t fired - he had one foot out the door from day one and left of his own accord. UofL is dramatically better for his departure and Cincinnati is dramatically worse.

2. sunbelt scotty did not have the highest rated class to sign. Verbal commitments mean nothing and outside of PC - the other stud verbals were continuing to take visits to other schools and were not going to show up at UofL.

3. Suggesting that the current group of new players - WHICH INCLUDES TRANSFER PORTAL PLAYERS - is not the worst in a decade and is arguably better than any class satterfield actually got to campus.

One thing that bugged me was the total reliance on Plummer. I don't think another QB ever played a meaningful down, other than Conley in the last two games where he scored on his two plays. Howard S. used to play the back-up QB at least one series in the 2nd quarter of every game, would like to have seen something like that this year.

Why do you continue to post objectively false statements? Is it simply that you don’t know better or, is there something else going on?

1. sunbelt scotty wasn’t fired - he had one foot out the door from day one and left of his own accord. UofL is dramatically better for his departure and Cincinnati is dramatically worse.

2. sunbelt scotty did not have the highest rated class to sign. Verbal commitments mean nothing and outside of PC - the other stud verbals were continuing to take visits to other schools and were not going to show up at UofL.

3. Suggesting that the current group of new players - WHICH INCLUDES TRANSFER PORTAL PLAYERS - is not the worst in a decade and is arguably better than any class satterfield actually got to campus.
1. wrong, he wasn't offered a new contract, ie he was fired.
2. our class, before he was let go, based on rankings was THE highest we had ever had. we were going to be a top 20 rated team with an awesome incoming class. we had the #2 rb in the country coming our way, which would have been the highest rated player ever basically except bush.a nd this year, our ranking suck, there hasn't been a JB bump as expected, and it gives me absolutely no reason to think we've upgraded our roster. our only chance of winning is based on scheming, not talent. and jb has shown he can crumble when his scheme fails. thsu we lost to three 3rd string qb's this year. if satts had done that you;d be screaming from high heaven to fire him. but everyone gives JB a pass because he's a homer. well i don't.
3. every other team in the country is also using the portal just as us and our rankings won;t change based on the portal. it's reality. i'm sick of everyone thinking JB is a savior.

so in essence i am the balance to the bullshit of jb

…Howard S. used to play the back-up QB at least one series in the 2nd quarter of every game…
I often hear that example used to justify going to your backup QB. And I’m not discrediting The Pipe in any way.

But IIRC, CHS didn’t do that religiously over his tenure here. Only time I vividly recall it was when Nagle started and Jeff Brohm was his backup. Also, do any other coaches today follow that practice? None quickly come to mind…

1. wrong, he wasn't offered a new contract, ie he was fired.
2. our class, before he was let go, based on rankings was THE highest we had ever had. we were going to be a top 20 rated team with an awesome incoming class. we had the #2 rb in the country coming our way, which would have been the highest rated player ever basically except bush.a nd this year, our ranking suck, there hasn't been a JB bump as expected, and it gives me absolutely no reason to think we've upgraded our roster. our only chance of winning is based on scheming, not talent. and jb has shown he can crumble when his scheme fails. thsu we lost to three 3rd string qb's this year. if satts had done that you;d be screaming from high heaven to fire him. but everyone gives JB a pass because he's a homer. well i don't.
3. every other team in the country is also using the portal just as us and our rankings won;t change based on the portal. it's reality. i'm sick of everyone thinking JB is a savior.

so in essence i am the balance to the bullshit of jb
More nonsense.

1. satterfield had an existing contract to coach football at UofL. His employer did not feel that his performance (one game over .500 and three games under .500 in the ACC) warranted giving him a raise and an extension that his agent essentially demanded. When he couldn’t milk more money out of UofL for his - at best - mediocre results, he decided to AGAIN pursue other options and left of his own free accord to begin sucking at UC.

2. A recruiting class isn’t a class until they enroll at the university. It was written and fairly well known that the RB and top rated WR were likely not coming here as they were still going pursued by bigger (Tamu and Texas) and had bigger NIL deals waiting for them at those two schools. Unsurprisingly, that’s where they signed. Your notion that they got upset and decided to not come to play for a coach who is regarded as one of the best offensive minds in CFB - one who has put numerous skill guys in the pros and just had purdoo(!) in the B1G championship game - because they were upset over a middling scrub leaving - is simply asinine. I’m sure sunbelt scotty told them they could follow him to UC - why didn’t they do that?

3. Players signed out of the portal absolutely do affect rankings and so far - Brohm is killing it. UofL finished ranked #2 for this past season and is currently ranked #2 for the upcoming year. UC? Umm - satterfield currently has them ranked #57 to go along with his #51 ranking in HS recruiting. Louisville’s class is ranked low due to the fact that they have a small class of 14 kids and rankings are based on total points. Clearly Brohm believes that the transfer kids are dramatically more able to help UofL in 2024 - so that’s where his focus has been.

So in essence - you are the bullshit.

Sorry Glassman; but refusing to extend a HC’s contract does not qualify as firing; if it were so, we would have owed Scott exit money, rather than obtain money from UC.

Scott was never content here; just look how long it took him to pursue the South Carolina opening, despite not being considered a candidate.

Scott needed to leave, as he was not happy, and neither UL a or its fans liked him.

I do believe Satterfield is a very good Football Coach, just not sure he will ever succeed at an urban school like Louisville or Cincinnati. Boone NC was the perfect scenario for him.

Reactions: Mayoman
The difference between USC and U of L is that USC reloads.

Love Brohm on the sidelines.

10-1 was fool's gold...
USC had 36 4 or 5 star recruits in the last 4 years and thats not counting the portal or transfers Riley brought with him. We are not even close to that and scored 28 with an average offense and below average qb. We will be fine in the coming years. Will be nice if we ever get to the reload point.

Thanks Fern Creek for the facts ……. Unfortunately so many UL fans (myself included) often fall into believing only what the media projects about rosters and team performances. USC may not have reached the pre-season expectations that most assigned to the Trojans, but their talent level is always at the top of college football.

Jeff started out with a talent and depth challenged roster, but did a great job with the portal ……. they simply did not have have enough time and resources to make up for the injuries to both Thrash and Jordan.

USC had 36 4 or 5 star recruits in the last 4 years and thats not counting the portal or transfers Riley brought with him. We are not even close to that and scored 28 with an average offense and below average qb. We will be fine in the coming years. Will be nice if we ever get to the reload point.
If Brohm would have ridden Gurrendo we might have pulled it out.

Riley and USC is all about the passing game, on both sides of the ball. They obviously recruit throwing QB’s, good receivers, OL who pass blocks well. A defense that can defend the pass but they can’t stop the run at all.

Love Brohm but trying to mix it up lost the game. Never abandon what is working. Did Riley ever stop throwing? No

USC’s OL provided the most impressive pass protection that I can recall seeing this entire year. Anytime a QB can enjoy that much time in the pocket, there is no secondary in the country that can cover that many receivers and a TE.

While it was evident that USC could not stop our running game, it is not reasonable to think Brohm, or for that matter any coach, would abandon the passing game all together.

If you want to assign responsibility for the loss, I would start with our two turnovers; particularly the blocked punt as that was as inexcusable as any play the entire game. Brohm’s offensive game plan was solid, and would have been successful if we had not committed the two turnovers, or if our defensive line would have been able to pressure the USC QB, as that was something we had demonstrated every game leading up to this one.

Reactions: Mayoman
Interesting thread that is all over the place but gets to the core of college football.

Like others said Satterfield wasn’t fired, he voluntarily left and Louisville was happy he did. Louisville’s appears to be headed in the right direction. That wasn’t the case under Satterfield and I liked him.

Recruiting it is very interesting. What this staff has done is much better than Satterfield but it needs to be better. This a major hill to climb. The USC game was a good thing in that the staff can watch that tape on see either their talent gap or execution gap or both.

Game plan wise we all dissect games through our own personal lenses to tear down or build up players or staffs. The USC wasn’t lost because they didn’t give the ball to IG enough. It was lost because they couldn’t stop USC and the offense was to one dimensional. Was that a talent or execution? IMO it was both and that is OK in year 1.

To me this is real simple can Louisville obtain enough talent to execute its game plans at a really high level. This year they were surprisingly close. Next year the talent and execution have to be better.

USC’s OL provided the most impressive pass protection that I can recall seeing this entire year. Anytime a QB can enjoy that much time in the pocket, there is no secondary in the country that can cover that many receivers and a TE.

While it was evident that USC could not stop our running game, it is not reasonable to think Brohm, or for that matter any coach, would abandon the passing game all together.

If you want to assign responsibility for the loss, I would start with our two turnovers; particularly the blocked punt as that was as inexcusable as any play the entire game. Brohm’s offensive game plan was solid, and would have been successful if we had not committed the two turnovers, or if our defensive line would have been able to pressure the USC QB, as that was something we had demonstrated every game leading up to this one.
Louisville 7 USC 0…Louisville starts its second offensive series. Instead of turning and handing the ball to IG on 1st down, who went through USC’s defense like it was butter on the first series, Brohm chooses to trust our turnover prone QB to throw the ball. The rest is history.

Then to make it even worse, on our next series he chose to sit IG and run a ineffective back.

Brohm did this very thing at Pitt. Like I said in numerous threads. Brohm has a ego issue imo.

Interesting thread that is all over the place but gets to the core of college football.

Like others said Satterfield wasn’t fired, he voluntarily left and Louisville was happy he did. Louisville’s appears to be headed in the right direction. That wasn’t the case under Satterfield and I liked him.

Recruiting it is very interesting. What this staff has done is much better than Satterfield but it needs to be better. This a major hill to climb. The USC game was a good thing in that the staff can watch that tape on see either their talent gap or execution gap or both.

Game plan wise we all dissect games through our own personal lenses to tear down or build up players or staffs. The USC wasn’t lost because they didn’t give the ball to IG enough. It was lost because they couldn’t stop USC and the offense was to one dimensional. Was that a talent or execution? IMO it was both and that is OK in year 1.

To me this is real simple can Louisville obtain enough talent to execute its game plans at a really high level. This year they were surprisingly close. Next year the talent and execution have to be better.
So USC’s coach should have abandoned the pass in order to be more balanced and keep Louisville’s defense off balance?

Why does it matter if you run 95% of the time? They threw 95% of the time.

People crack me up

Where did I say that USC should have abandoned the pass? They averaged 11 yards per play. I actually said Louisville lost because they couldn’t stop USC.

Louisville run/pass percentage was 65-35. The passing game was very efficient 21-25. It was basically an extension of the run game. Louisville controlled the time of possession. Sorry running the the ball more wasn’t the answer.

USC scored 42 points on 42 plays.

Louisville lost because they couldn’t stop USC. Not because IG didn’t get more carriers. Geez go ahead die on that hill.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Where did I say that USC should have abandoned the pass? They averaged 11 yards per play. I actually said Louisville lost because they couldn’t stop USC.

Louisville run/pass percentage was 65-35. The passing game was very efficient 21-25. It was basically an extension of the run game. Louisville controlled the time of possession. Sorry running the the ball more wasn’t the answer.

Louisville lost because they couldn’t stop USC. Not because IG didn’t get more carriers. Geez go ahead die on that hill.
USC could have lost because they couldn’t stop Gurrendo who averaged 7 yards a carry!

What f’n difference does it make rather it’s a pass or a run?

Bottom line is Lincoln Riley stuck to his guns and Brohm wavered.

End of story!

Considering what I expected coming in, I was happy with the defense this year. We held opponents to <20 ppg over the first 13 games.

In the final game, we allowed 42 points. That loss was clearly on the defense...

USC could have lost because they couldn’t stop Gurrendo who averaged 7 yards a carry!

What f’n difference does it make rather it’s a pass or a run?

Bottom line is Lincoln Riley stuck to his guns and Brohm wavered.

End of story!
You are making my point, your opinion is Brohm should have ran it more and you are slamming Brohm for not doing it. When the numbers tell you he ran it at a higher clip than he did all year.

Average of the year 57%-43% run-pass.
USC game 65% to 35%.

He was trying to shorten the game. The defense couldn’t get a stop.

You are making my point, your opinion is Brohm should have ran it more and you are slamming Brohm for not doing it. When the numbers tell you he ran it at a higher clip than he did all year.

Average of the year 57%-43% run-pass.
USC game 65% to 35%.

He was trying to shorten the game. The defense couldn’t get a stop.
I’m talking about 2 games Pitt and USC were Brohm should have run 90% of the time. That’s it

I’m talking about 2 games Pitt and USC were Brohm should have run 90% of the time. That’s it
You don't know some of that stuff with certainty, and you certainly don't know it except in hindsight.

Your post a few up from this one said "USC could have lost..." That's the correct perspective. Had Brohm run the ball in this game well above the clip he showed during the regular season, it could have mattered. Or maybe it wouldn't have, we'll never know.

Those kinds of observations are fine to debate academically, but hardly an indictment of the people making the underlying decisions. That's what you're trying to do...

If Jack make a good throw on 4th down and goal with about 3 minutes to go, it’s an easy TD and 42-35. That last 3 minutes would have been interesting. But alas, it was not to be.

Reactions: vivid_red
You don't know some of that stuff with certainty, and you certainly don't know it except in hindsight.

Your post a few up from this one said "USC could have lost..." That's the correct perspective. Had Brohm run the ball in this game well above the clip he showed during the regular season, it could have mattered. Or maybe it wouldn't have, we'll never know.

Those kinds of observations are fine to debate academically, but hardly an indictment of the people making the underlying decisions. That's what you're trying to do...
I watched the dam games. I oughta know.

Doesn’t matter now, on to next year.

Maybe will have a QB that doesn’t hurt us when we throw the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT