ADVERTISEMENT

Brent Venables (more LOL)...

If you are counting 7 win regular seasons are last 7 win season was 2015 not 2011. We beat a aTm team on its 3rd string QB to for Petrino 2.0's only bowl win. The problem with Petrino isn't necessarily the poor seasons though this year could be really bad, its that the ceiling it 8-9 wins. Some of those teams have had 7 win seasons after us but they also fired their coaches. I'm not sure using a team who fired their coach is a positive when considering whether or not Petrino should keep their job. The same argument goes when people mention that Louisville is one of the few teams to have 8 wins over how many ever seasons. Everyone else on that list had well over 8 wins atleast once and most had double digit win seasons more than once while Petrino is barely hitting that bar. The fact that we have 1 win vs ranked teams and are like 3-16 against teams with winning records are valid stats. They are atleast as valid as your stat about the last time we finished with 7 wins.
It also looks like your FLOOR is 8-9 wins (although I believe it's neither the ceiling or floor...)

FSU didn't fire their coach. UGA didn't fire their coach. You better check your facts a little better. And like I said, you ain't nowhere near those programs.

And you're quoting stats with which you have no idea whether program success correlates or how other coaches perform on the same stat. You just like a stat because of what you think it says about Petrino. That's not good enough...

Last edited:
And for the can't-beat-good-teams naysayers, I'll ask my favorite question...

Gimme the team each year you're OK with trading a win over Clemson. Lose to Wake? NC State? Cuse?

Oh, you just want one more win. Great, so does everyone else in college football...

Where did all the hire Brohm banter go????? Oh yeah, with Eastern Friggin Michigan. Now Venables, who's next? I'd be very shocked outside of a health or family issue that CBP wouldn't be our coach through his contract and I've said it on other threads, everyone needs to R-E-L-A-X!!

My biggest problem is 3 DC's in 3 years and getting some stability there, along with fairly non-existent return teams. Offense has been #3 and #5 in total offense the past 2 years......

Where did all the hire Brohm banter go????? Oh yeah, with Eastern Friggin Michigan. Now Venables, who's next? I'd be very shocked outside of a health or family issue that CBP wouldn't be our coach through his contract and I've said it on other threads, everyone needs to R-E-L-A-X!!

My biggest problem is 3 DC's in 3 years and getting some stability there, along with fairly non-existent return teams. Offense has been #3 and #5 in total offense the past 2 years......
Last I checked the HC is responsible for all facets of the football team, not just the offense.

It also looks like your FLOOR is 8-9 wins (although I believe it's neither the ceiling or floor...)

FSU didn't fire their coach. UGA didn't fire their coach. You better check your facts a little better. And like I said, you ain't nowhere near those programs.

And you're quoting stats with which you have no idea whether program success correlates or how other coaches perform on the same stat. You just like a stat because of what you think it says about Petrino. That's not good enough...

You are hoping that 8-9 wins isn't the ceiling. This year's team could easily end up 6-6 or worse considering how the team has looked so far.

Fsu and Fisher broke up on poor terms, he chose to jump ship cause the fans were getting restless. Another bad season and his seat was very hot and he probably would not have survived this year. UGA had a 7 win regular season but then followed it up with 13 wins and look to have another very good season. We are just stagnant at 8 wins.

Looking at another stat we are 9-9 over the since we went on the 2016 run. Recent history shows us starting to trend downward which is more troublesome than Petrino's overall record.

I know that 1-12 against top 25 teams is a terrible stat. The bad record against above .500 teams also needs to be better if we want to be better than the 8-9 win ceiling.

Everybody knows we are stuck with Petrino, it does not mean we have to be happy with the march toward 6-6.

You are hoping that 8-9 wins isn't the ceiling. This year's team could easily end up 6-6 or worse considering how the team has looked so far.

Fsu and Fisher broke up on poor terms, he chose to jump ship cause the fans were getting restless. Another bad season and his seat was very hot and he probably would not have survived this year. UGA had a 7 win regular season but then followed it up with 13 wins and look to have another very good season. We are just stagnant at 8 wins.

Looking at another stat we are 9-9 over the since we went on the 2016 run. Recent history shows us starting to trend downward which is more troublesome than Petrino's overall record.

I know that 1-12 against top 25 teams is a terrible stat. The bad record against above .500 teams also needs to be better if we want to be better than the 8-9 win ceiling.
And you have no idea whether 8-9 wins is the ceiling. At the moment, it's the average and will likely be neither ceiling nor floor. That's a normal distribution.

Some of those coaches firings on that list were after seasons with well below 8 wins. The Florida guy was fired after a 4-win season. This program is nowhere near that, and you ain't nowhere near Florida. Your standards are screwed up relative to who you are.

In the time frame you cite, we tied the national champs to win our division of the ACC. And Petrino developed a Heisman Trophy candidate. Make sure to include those on your list of accomplishments over the last 18 games.

Also tell me who outside the Top 25 you're willing to trade victories with to get more inside the Top 25. Or do you simply want more wins?...So do Petrino and I...

Last I checked the HC is responsible for all facets of the football team, not just the offense.
When Petrino returned in 2014, we already had a four-year snapshot of his performance at U of L. Unless you were oblivious or ignoring it--I wasn't--we knew his teams here would have defensive issues. I'd argue Jurich knew that as well, which is why he shelled out record money at the time for Grantham. And whether it was due to TG or Charlie's leftovers, we had good results on defense. Of course, we kicked Grantham to the curb, Jurich is gone, and now we have defensive issues again.

None of that should be a surprise. The issue is what we do. If you wanna hire a former DC as coach, you'll probably get good results there. Then what do you know about your offense? You're now rolling dice on the other side of the ball. I don't consider that improvement...

Reactions: Mayoman

What, was a Purdue a 28 point favourite who lost on Senior day with a Heisman winner against their arch-rival ?!

Venables is waiting for Dabo to go to Bama so he can be HC at Clemson.

Brohm, who I still want, is waiting for Petrino to leave
By the way, he was an assistant under Petrino........

What, was a Purdue a 28 point favourite who lost on Senior day with a Heisman winner against their arch-rival ?!

While I understand that some UofL fans will never forgive Petrino for losing to UK as a 28 point favorite, upsets do happen in college football, and the coach responsible for that loss was told to pack his bags. In case you need more of a hint as to who that coach is, he's the one whose defense just gave up 303 yards rushing to UK in Florida's first loss to the Wildcats since 1986.

Last edited:
What, was a Purdue a 28 point favourite who lost on Senior day with a Heisman winner against their arch-rival ?!...
LOL... "See this one data point that's very important to me?"

Classic analysis, and I'm embarrassed to use the word "analysis"...

So does Petrino get extra credit for beating @UK by 27 when they were only favored by 8? Upsets happen every year and that year with 3 defensive back-up's and 5 TO's they beat us. I like Petrino's record against UK overall!

Reactions: zipp
FARRRRRRRRR THAT PITRINA!!

FARRRRRRR JEEMBO FEESHER! HE WENT 6-6!

FARR MARK REICH! OLE FELLER AVERAGED 9 WINS OVER 15 YEARS!

FARR JEREMY PRUITT!

FARRRRRRR SCOTT FROST!!!! THAT SISSY LOST TO THEM DOPE-SMOKIN PANSIES OUT IN COLORADO!

DUNNO WHO I'M A GUNNA HARR, BUT FARRRRRRR EM ALL!

While I understand that some UofL fans will never forgive Petrino for losing to UK as a 28 point favorite, upsets do happen in college football, and the coach responsible for that loss was told to pack his bags. In case you need more of a hint as to who that coach is, he's the one whose defense just gave up 303 yards rushing to UK in Florida's first loss to the Wildcats since 1986.

I'd love to have a 31 game win streak over SuCkS, however I know that wont happen.

Yes every team, every coach will get upset.

The significance was that by beating Sucks, Cards get their 10 win, Orange bowl and maybe their 11th win against Michigan.

Had that happen, NO ONE is having conversations about replacing Petrino.

"The coach responsible for that loss" is and was Petrino - that's why his title starts with an "H" and not an "A". Comes with the territory and, a number on his paycheck with several commas in it.

The significance was that by beating Sucks, Cards get their 10 win, Orange bowl and maybe their 11th win against Michigan.

so u and the others fans wanting bobby gone aren't smart enough to throw out one bad game?

When Petrino returned in 2014, we already had a four-year snapshot of his performance at U of L. Unless you were oblivious or ignoring it--I wasn't--we knew his teams here would have defensive issues. I'd argue Jurich knew that as well, which is why he shelled out record money at the time for Grantham. And whether it was due to TG or Charlie's leftovers, we had good results on defense. Of course, we kicked Grantham to the curb, Jurich is gone, and now we have defensive issues again.

None of that should be a surprise. The issue is what we do. If you wanna hire a former DC as coach, you'll probably get good results there. Then what do you know about your offense? You're now rolling dice on the other side of the ball. I don't consider that improvement...
I guess my issue is more about being able to recruit defensive minded players instead of converting wide receivers into defensive backs. Our focus tends to be on the skilled positions namely WR, TE and QB’s. Everyone knows CBP is offense driven. We have gotten some great athletes at LB but we need to find a way to get those defensive linemen and someone that can coach the DBs and safeties.

"The coach responsible for that loss" is and was Petrino - that's why his title starts with an "H" and not an "A". Comes with the territory and, a number on his paycheck with several commas in it.

Petrino gets the "L", that's for sure. But make no mistake about it - we lost that game 41-38, because the defense did not show up. And the guy in charge of the defense (who earned a 7-digit paycheck himself) was told to seek employment elsewhere - or be fired.

So call that whatever you want - the bottom line is that Petrino is still here and Grantham is not.

I'd love to have a 31 game win streak over SuCkS, however I know that wont happen.

Yes every team, every coach will get upset.

A reasonable response, and one that I am sure Coach Petrino would agree with - which is why Grantham was told to seek employment elsewhere.

A reasonable response, and one that I am sure Coach Petrino would agree with - which is why Grantham was told to seek employment elsewhere.

That would be great if he didn't replace Grantham with possible the worst DC in college football then replace that guy another DC who up to this point in his long career has been mediocre at best.

Reactions: BPGhost
And you have no idea whether 8-9 wins is the ceiling. At the moment, it's the average and will likely be neither ceiling nor floor. That's a normal distribution.

Some of those coaches firings on that list were after seasons with well below 8 wins. The Florida guy was fired after a 4-win season. This program is nowhere near that, and you ain't nowhere near Florida. Your standards are screwed up relative to who you are.

In the time frame you cite, we tied the national champs to win our division of the ACC. And Petrino developed a Heisman Trophy candidate. Make sure to include those on your list of accomplishments over the last 18 games.

Also tell me who outside the Top 25 you're willing to trade victories with to get more inside the Top 25. Or do you simply want more wins?...So do Petrino and I...

We tied the champs in conference play but then took that last 3 games of the season off then continued that vacation into the next year. Having a Heisman trophy winner doesn't mean much to the program when his last to seasons both ended up being disappointing.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Petrino gets the "L", that's for sure. But make no mistake about it - we lost that game 41-38, because the defense did not show up. And the guy in charge of the defense (who earned a 7-digit paycheck himself) was told to seek employment elsewhere - or be fired.

So call that whatever you want - the bottom line is that Petrino is still here and Grantham is not.
Can’t think of too many rivalry games where you can turn the ball over 4 times - including what would have been the game winning drive - and still win. Don’t think any of those were on the defense but, maybe I’ve forgotten??

Petrino always chafed at the fact that Jurich told him he was hiring Grantham to be his DC. Was simply a matter of time before the situation played out the way it did. That was an issue with the offense with LJ - they either scored a touchdown in 5-6 plays or, went 3 and out. That made our lack of defensive depth an issue.

I’ll say this - thank goodness Jurich did hire Grantham - at least we had decent defense for a couple of years - we’ve all been witness to the dregs that Petrino has been able to get to say yes.

Shocking - lol.

Just curious Kerry - are the only coaches you think are worth a shit on other programs’ staffs or, is there someone at UofL that you think is doing a good job?
And how many games or quarters do they get to prove their mettle? We can go down to minutes if that helps...

We tied the champs in conference play but then took that last 3 games of the season off then continued that vacation into the next year. Having a Heisman trophy winner doesn't mean much to the program when his last to seasons both ended up being disappointing.
Sounds like you're now reducing your sample size to less than 18 games. Smaller the sample, less reliable the results. (Sampling Theory 101).

And best tell our recruiters not to play up Lamar on the recruiting trail. He doesn't matter...

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT