ADVERTISEMENT

Worried

Feb 3, 2014
Understand, I’m a worry wart, not a negative Nancy. My concern is that CPK is fishing too much in non-Power Six waters. Don’t get me wrong, the dudes he has landed so far look like good ones and yes, I fully understand that there are tons of examples of great players coming up from lower divisions. And, maybe I’m still seeing red flags based on my severe PKPT (post Kenny Payne trauma). And, maybe I am looking for too much too soon (add Nervous Nelly to worry wart). But, I would like to see a few more Division 1 guys mixed in with the others. I understand that CPK is an analytics guy when it comes to recruiting, but (I think) he has to understand that the prototypical Div 1 player might have certain physical attributes that is not always present at lower levels of competition.

So, I’ll be as patient as I can be but patience is not my strong suit. Just curious to see if I’m the only one with this concern. Also, if anyone knows a good therapist who specializes in PKPT, please let me know.

There is some wisdom to seeking transfers from lower levels who have proven themselves. They can play just as well as the D1 guys. However, maybe they just did not get it earlier or grew and bloomed later, which is why they ended up at a lower level. OTOH, most D1 guys who are transferring are running from something and many could not cut it with their current teams. Either way, it's a bit early for this paranoia. I'm sure CPK will take the best guys available that he thinks can contribute.

Too soon to know what it will be. He's actually only landed 1 guy so far, + 2 that he brought with him.

I think Alabama has 4 mid-major transfers and 1 40ish rated HS guy in their starting5. It feels like SDSU had something similar year before.

UofL is probably not making a one-year leap to get near those levels. But hopefully this will be a steer year for the Cards.

Understand, I’m a worry wart, not a negative Nancy. My concern is that CPK is fishing too much in non-Power Six waters. Don’t get me wrong, the dudes he has landed so far look like good ones and yes, I fully understand that there are tons of examples of great players coming up from lower divisions. And, maybe I’m still seeing red flags based on my severe PKPT (post Kenny Payne trauma). And, maybe I am looking for too much too soon (add Nervous Nelly to worry wart). But, I would like to see a few more Division 1 guys mixed in with the others. I understand that CPK is an analytics guy when it comes to recruiting, but (I think) he has to understand that the prototypical Div 1 player might have certain physical attributes that is not always present at lower levels of competition.

So, I’ll be as patient as I can be but patience is not my strong suit. Just curious to see if I’m the only one with this concern. Also, if anyone knows a good therapist who specializes in PKPT, please let me know.
At last count less . than .5% of those in the transfer portal have signed. Also, we are in a dead period with most, if not all head coaches are at the final four.

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
I trust CPK with building the roster. I think he said he wanted most of the team done by the end of next month and then possibly add a couple this summer.

But it'll be a lot easier to judge the roster building when he's done. He's really only added one guy so far. I think when the dead period is over on April 11th the commits will really pick up.

Division 1 guys? You actually mean power conferences? FAU and Charleston are Division 1 schools.

I don't see any Division 2 players that CPK is looking at.

Understand, I’m a worry wart, not a negative Nancy....(add Nervous Nelly to worry wart).
What the heck is the difference? They are just different shades of grey.

Of course some levels are more "acceptable" than others to "the board" as I have seen it proclaimed here often.

Back to the question....I am worried too because we started with 0 players!

PK has his work cut out for him, but appears to have the energy & hopefully stamina this job will require.

He has 3 lined up & needs 10 more or so. Give it more than a week before hyperventilating or whatever it is a worry wart does.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
What the heck is the difference? They are just different shades of grey.

Of course some levels are more "acceptable" than others to "the board" as I have seen it proclaimed here often.

Back to the question....I am worried too because we started with 0 players!

PK has his work cut out for him, but appears to have the energy & hopefully stamina this job will require.

He has 3 lined up & needs 10 more or so. Give it more than a week before hyperventilating or whatever it is a worry wart does.
Couldn’t disagree more! Concern and negativity are not different shades of grey. Not being negative at all which is why I laid that out in my first sentence.

Solid players are solid, no matter their origin. We will see though. I've also got to say I'm more anxious for basketball to start than I was for football after Brohm was hired. Basketball state all.

Well, at least you’re not dead inside like a lot of us have been. PK took some defibrillators to us, though. We are alive, again. Until it’s time to worry, don’t. Things are on the up and up. Seasoned, “lower tier players” is where the action is at these days. Young studs be damned. Hancock was lower tier. Lee was lower tier. Many others. Negativity is in the rear view mirror. Put the worries behind you. Don’t be a zipp.

Does no returning players also concern you? It would me...
Why? Because they know how to get around campus?

The current landscape is very fluid. The roster turnover is the new norm. Turning over an entire roster on coaching changes isn’t unusual. UNLV and Utah State went thru it. Arkansas is getting ready to do it.

I am not concerned with mid major guy that were extremely productive and match up with Kelsey offensive system. Finding some power 5 guys that have won and fit would be great.

It will be interesting to watch

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Positivity is fanboy talk.

And I don't have any worries. In 2024, U of L delivers about what I expect...
You speak in positive terms all the time - it just so happens that what you’re positive about / hoping for - is the continuation of negative outcomes for the University of Louisville.

You are “Fanboy #1” in that sad category.

Last edited:
I have not talked to a single UL BB player in years; Siva, Hancock and Russdiculous were the last ones that I had any meaningful communication with, but I believe that each one would tell you they felt a strong relationship with the fans.

In all fairness to last year’s roster, I think they felt betrayed by the lack of support. I know the overwhelming majority of UL fan’s apathy was directed at Payne, but I suspect they could not help but feel disrespected.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
What's your point
Just that the players he was lamenting being recruited are division 1 players. They're not division 2 or 3. Etc...

I know what he means but others reading may not. He wants power conference players, not a roster of mid major players.

This reminds me of those "Too early Top 25" lists they're going to release tomorrow after the game. You can't pick a legitimate Top 25 in April since no one has a clue what rosters will look like. Part of that is because the Portal doesn't close until, I believe it's May 1.

So, May 1 is the time to panic if you don't like what you see.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
amen-anchorman.gif

Just to clarify the OP, Cards fans can breathe easier knowing that Coach Kelsey is not bringing in players from Minnesota St at Moorhead, Gannon College, Fort Hays St or St Thomas Aquinas NY.

The non power 6 transfers tend to fare better IMO. Bama just had Nelson, Sears, and Estrada as the core of their final 4 team from the likes of Hofstra, ND State and Ohio U. The Knecht kid at UT is winning SEC POY and couldn’t make his all conference first team last year in a lower level. Not to mention our own history where guys like Damien & Trey contributed more than a Tre White over the years.

I’d take the attitude and trajectory of a non P6 transfer over the more entitled feeling that could come from a big conference transfer. That argument is irrelevant to me as long as you know who you are getting.

Reactions: earsky and BPGhost
Does no returning players also concern you? It would me...

Not concerned at the moment, considering we fired their coach and the team went 8-24.

I may become concerned if we don’t have 12 players committed by April 30.

What I love about what Kelsey has done so far is he’s gone out and gotten one 5th year senior, one fourth year senior and a sophomore to be with 35 games of experience.

That’s literally more experience than the entire 2023-24 roster combined in just three players.

Not concerned at the moment, considering we fired their coach and the team went 8-24.

I may become concerned if we don’t have 12 players committed by April 30.

What I love about what Kelsey has done so far is he’s gone out and gotten one 5th year senior, one fourth year senior and a sophomore to be with 35 games of experience.

That’s literally more experience than the entire 2023-24 roster combined in just three players.
It's definitely a different direction, almost like Costanza doing the opposite. Instead of having one of the youngest teams in Div 1 we may have one of the most experienced. I think it's a much better direction even if he doesn't get it exactly right the first year.

Like Jay Wright said after UK's loss, the age of the 1AD winning championships is basically over. You may see an outlier here and there over the years, but I think teams built like this year's Final Four teams will be more common for making deep runs in the Tournament.

Reactions: shadow force
Just cause all our guys entered the transfer portal doesn't mean that some of them can't come back. I wouldn't mind seeing H-H, Glenn, and James come back. Also UK's Reeves averaged 20 points a game and he transferred from Illinois State.

Just cause all our guys entered the transfer portal doesn't mean that some of them can't come back. I wouldn't mind seeing H-H, Glenn, and James come back. Also UK's Reeves averaged 20 points a game and he transferred from Illinois State.
I really don't think those dudes are welcome to come back.

We don’t need any leftovers. Zipp is a leftover and look at all the negativity he spreads around. New regime / new attitude.
We need EVERY supporter we can get.

There is NOBODY who agrees with anyone else 100% of the time. That said, we ALL have more in common than not. We can choose to focus & harp on those few things on which we disagree and divide us or come together for the common cause(s) on which we agree....Louisville's ultimate success!

We need EVERY supporter we can get.

There is NOBODY who agrees with anyone else 100% of the time. That said, we ALL have more in common than not. We can choose to focus & harp on those few things on which we disagree and divide us or come together for the common cause(s) on which we agree....Louisville's ultimate success!
Agree to disagree. Nobody needs a fox in the hen house. Eventually you have no hens.

Also, I haven’t seen much support coming from that direction.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT