ADVERTISEMENT

It has to be over.

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I just can't believe there's any real possibility that KP is retained. This two season stretch is no longer tolerable. I can no longer watch what was once just a few years ago, a winning program where the expectations were elite 8's and final 4's. Now it's having enough scholarship players on the court in February.

If there is ever a "mercy" rule in college hoops, it should be called the Louisville rule, because before the season is over, there may be only 3 scholarship players on the court.

Anyone who believes our best players will be back next season is ignoring reality.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Have to start over. Have to move as fast as they can.

Between players leaving and injuries his own decisions on the roster came back to haunt him.

The lack of defense is enough of a reason to fire him. They let the same game torch them again. Just clueless how to teach defense.

It ain’t over because Payne is gone. There’s no money to make a big splash with a new coach, and there’s no obvious choice like the basketball equivalent of Jeff Brohm anyway.

The likeliest outcome if Payne is fired is U of L rolls the dice with a relatively unknown guy with promise who’s not commanding top money. His salary plus Payne’s buyout has to be cash flowed.

There won’t be a huge return of fans with an unknown coach. Finances will continue to be a major problem. An unproven guy may also be just another U of L coaching bust. In fact, that’s somewhat likely.

It’s an ongoing mess and nothing to be optimistic about…

• Haha
Reactions: earsky and Dockery_
Despite what you think having money to throw around isn’t the end all be all. Too many places have a lot of money and still can’t find the right coach. Mack was a good hire at a terrible time. Payne was a disaster. Money wasn’t the issue either time. Not picking the right guy was the problem.

All it takes is finding the right guy. That guy can be a no name. Nate Oats came from Buffalo. Musselman came from Nevada. Hurley came from Rhode Island. Golden has Florida moving in right direction came from San Francisco. Pearl came from Milwaukee. The majority of elite coaches didn’t start at an elite job. This belief Louisville has to get a guy that all these accomplishments is misguided.

Whatever direction they choose to go down the money spent is down my list. My concern is how do they coach, their energy, their success in the portal/NIL relative to their current job. Doesn’t matter if you have a 4M coach if he isn’t laser focused on winning. Doesn’t matter if you spend 1M if he is the next Self, Beard, Drew.

This a weird time in college sports and in many ways could be the perfect time with the right guy. No idea but whomever the guy is has to be a master at NIL and the portal.

My point about being over is the KP experiment. If and when the Cards return to a winning program will depend on how good the next coach is, but it cannot be worse than KP has been.

If Facebook is any indication of the level of interest in MBB well that interest it diving fast. After a loss last month there would be hundreds of responses to posts of people calling for KPs firing and those defending him, after yesterday’s loss there were 3 entries all calling for him to be fired. No defenders.
You want to kill Cards MBB bring KP back

It ain’t over because Payne is gone. There’s no money to make a big splash with a new coach, and there’s no obvious choice like the basketball equivalent of Jeff Brohm anyway.

The likeliest outcome if Payne is fired is U of L rolls the dice with a relatively unknown guy with promise who’s not commanding top money. His salary plus Payne’s buyout has to be cash flowed.

There won’t be a huge return of fans with an unknown coach. Finances will continue to be a major problem. An unproven guy may also be just another U of L coaching bust. In fact, that’s somewhat likely.

So, this is your official position/prediction? You’re gonna stand by this and you’re not just doing your usual, tired trolling?
1. We hire a relative unknown because we have no money; and
2. There won’t be a huge return of fans with the new hire (I will ask that you define the term “huge return”.

Keep in mind that you have often claimed that Payne will get a year three because we just can’t afford to fire him. A fact that has now pretty much been dismissed. Your astute financial analysis always overlooks the fact that keeping Payne ensures that UL will continue to hemorrhage cash. Your desire to see UL basketball fail because the school parted ways with TJ is more transparent than plate glass.

So, if we hire a known coach with a proven track record and, with this, we get back to a point were we average at least 15,000 fans per game through the first five countable home games next year you will come on here and state that you’re just a hack troll, who knows nothing, and just likes to stir up trouble. How about that? Put your name on it!

Last edited:
Reactions: rh62531
Despite what you think having money to throw around isn’t the end all be all. Too many places have a lot of money and still can’t find the right coach. Mack was a good hire at a terrible time. Payne was a disaster. Money wasn’t the issue either time. Not picking the right guy was the problem.

All it takes is finding the right guy…
Mack was hired when we still had $40 million in the bank. (There’s zero now.) He also made less money than his predecessor.

Payne makes less money as well.

That’s the key, less money. Which keeps putting us down the coaching food chain. And anyone who thinks less-is-more stops with the coach, check out the men’s basketball budget since 2018.

There’s a clear pattern is all I’m saying. And there ain’t no free lunch…

Last edited:
So, this is your official position/prediction? You’re gonna stand by this and you’re not just doing your usual, tired trolling?
1. We hire a relative unknown because we have no money; and
2. There won’t be a huge return of fans with the new hire (I will ask that you define the term “huge return”.

Keep in mind that you have often claimed that Payne will get a year three because we just can’t afford to fire him. A fact that has now pretty much been dismissed. Your astute financial analysis always overlooks the fact that keeping Payne ensures that UL will continue to hemorrhage cash. Your desire to see UL basketball fail because the school parted ways with TJ is more transparent than plate glass.

So, if we hire a known coach with a proven track record and, with this, we get back to a point were we average at least 15,000 fans per game through the first five countable home games next year you will come on here and state that you’re just a hack troll, who knows nothing, and just likes to stir up trouble. How about that? Put your name on it!
You don’t have to read “tired trolling.” IGNORE is your friend.

Last time I checked, Payne was still in the job. And Year Three is next year. “Fact” and “pretty much been dismissed” are fanboy narratives.

My “astute financial analysis” was validated, among other ways, by how the Petrino situation turned out. I mention Petrino only because it’s similar. Clowns agreed to pay a huge buyout, and financials and fan support declined. Five years later, we’re still selling fewer season tickets.

The replacement hire—Satterfield—was thought to be solid, and he had a good track record. “How can we do worse than two wins” was that narrative; “how can we do worse” is today’s. Of course, we proved that was indeed possible.

And it’s because the coach ain’t the main problem. The arena is devoid of fans and our finances are trash just like they were before Payne’s arrival…

Last edited:
The term we hear so much is “sustainability”; and despite some companies and organizations trying to redefine the word ……. for most of us concerned with UL’s MBB program, sustainability can only apply in the past tense, as clearly no UL fan wants this experience to be sustained further.

We all know “the Payne experiment failed“, but unfortunately the contractural nature of KP’s Agreement, UL cannot terminate him without absorbing additional financial damage that it cannot afford.

Junior, Wade and all those other well-intentioned UL alumni need to schedule a serious meeting with Kenny and plead with him to resign without demanding the payout that he is entitled to receive according to his contract. I have no idea the relationship that exists between those parties, but if KP refuses to resign without demanding his payout …….. the aforementioned alumni need to make that payment to Payne.

I truly believe the plan to hire was sincerely designed to help the University, but I also believe there was a component of “trying to make a political statement about this school rewarding one of their own”, which rises to negligence on the part of those who advanced hiring Payne knowing he had absolutely no Head Coaching experience.

Mack was hired when we still had $40 million in the bank. (There’s zero now.) He also made less money than his predecessor.

Payne makes less money as well.

That’s the key, less money. Which keeps putting us down the coaching food chain. And anyone who thinks less-is-more stops with the coach, check out the men’s basketball budget since 2018.

There’s a clear pattern is all I’m saying. And there ain’t no free lunch…
Mack making less than pitino is simply common sense based upon pitino’s position as a top 3 HC in CFB and, his length of tenure with UofL.

Payne makes less than Mack did based upon his complete lack of experience as a HC - though he did essentially triple his salary from what he was making with the Knicks.

But, don’t let those facts get in the way of your canned narrative…

Reactions: TPACardsFan
Mack making less than pitino is simply common sense based upon pitino’s position as a top 3 HC in CFB and, his length of tenure with UofL.

Payne makes less than Mack did based upon his complete lack of experience as a HC - though he did essentially triple his salary from what he was making with the Knicks.

But, don’t let those facts get in the way of your canned narrative…
We made conscious decisions to bring in replacements who were less qualified than the people they were replacing. That’s my “canned narrative,” and it also happens to be fact.

Of course, they can only go so low. And Payne is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. The reality is that the process of getting to this point—the bottom—will also keep us here.

When you’re at the bottom, you don’t have a helluva lot to work with. Compounded by the quality of the people responsible to do that work. No cause for optimism…

We made conscious decisions to bring in replacements who were less qualified than the people they were replacing. That’s my “canned narrative,” and it also happens to be fact.

Of course, they can only go so low. And Payne is pretty much the bottom of the barrel. The reality is that the process of getting to this point—the bottom—will also keep us here.

When you’re at the bottom, you don’t have a helluva lot to work with. Compounded by the quality of the people responsible to do that work. No cause for optimism…
If, as is pretty universally agreed to, pitino is a top 3 of all time CBB coach - whoever would have been hired to replace him would have been less qualified - at least on the court.

The reality is that when it comes to BB HC’s - Louisville fans have been spoiled like few other programs for about 40 out of the last 50 years. Payne was hired at least in part to be a feel good story to counterbalance all of the turmoil that occurred under pitino and continued - albeit in less sordid fashion - under Mack.

Pitino and Mack’s respective foolishness put the program in a place where top flight coaches were understandably wary of considering the job. That would have been the same situation whether Tyra, Heird, or Jurich was sitting in the AD chair.

The silver lining is that UofL is still a top 10 job and the next coach should look good when compared to the amateur hour we’ve been subjected to these last two years.

I've been meaning to say that we Louisville fans have been spoiled with head coaches for men's basketball. Crum and Pitino back to back for some 40 years is why the program is all time top 10.

There's no telling how many coaches we would be at now had Pitino not been hired. So now we get to see what most fans have to deal with, trying to find consistent excellence at the head coaching position.

We just made the stupid mistake of gambling on a first time coach who only got the job because he's an former Cards player. It's a big ass hole that we dug ourselves, but we were probably due for it after having back to back Hall of Fame coaches.

It's time though to get out of the hole or we may find the program being the next Indiana.

Crum had two NCs and six FFs. When Pitino took the U of L job, he had one NC and four FFs.

Mack arrived with one E8. Payne had never been a head coach.

Quite a drop between the first two and the last two.

The huge oversight that was made by U of L in 2016-17 was minimizing the importance of INDIVIDUALS performing in their jobs. No problem replacing Ramsey, Jurich, or Pitino. Neeli, Tyra, and Mack will do fine.

And management continues with this flawed reasoning to this day. We’ve made bad decisions bringing in people who make more bad decisions. Now it’s a culture of nonperformers who IMO don’t recall anymore the way things used to be done.

After seven years, many never had a chance to experience it.

I have little hope for athletics returning to the good old days. We all want Brohm to fix that in his sport. But I look at what’s happening in baseball and wonder if that’s possible for even a really good coach.

It’s nonsense that the head coach is 100% responsible for his own destiny. If that was true, you don’t need an AD or an athletic department. Secretaries, order takers, and phone answerers will round out the team. No coach will ever need or say anything positive about an unnecessary AD.

If that’s the way we’re operating—and it probably is—no damn wonder we have problems…

Please point out the banner for Pitino’s NC at the Yum Center. Once again, agenda driven posts show their flawed logic in the first paragraph.

If, as is pretty universally agreed to, pitino is a top 3 of all time CBB coach - whoever would have been hired to replace him would have been less qualified - at least on the court.

The reality is that when it comes to BB HC’s - Louisville fans have been spoiled like few other programs for about 40 out of the last 50 years. Payne was hired at least in part to be a feel good story to counterbalance all of the turmoil that occurred under pitino and continued - albeit in less sordid fashion - under Mack.

Pitino and Mack’s respective foolishness put the program in a place where top flight coaches were understandably wary of considering the job. That would have been the same situation whether Tyra, Heird, or Jurich was sitting in the AD chair.

The silver lining is that UofL is still a top 10 job and the next coach should look good when compared to the amateur hour we’ve been subjected to these last two years.
I think we'll be okay if we can just get someone in here who can normalize the program. Alabama went about a decade between HOF football coaches, and they had to deal with some real stinkers of coaches in the middle.

We're not IU, yet. Hopefully we'll look back on this in a few years as a nightmare that we can barely remember.

If they keep Payne at the end of this season, that's the time to start worrying. And maybe start packing your bags as a fan.

Please point out the banner for Pitino’s NC at the Yum Center. Once again, agenda driven posts show their flawed logic in the first paragraph.
Hate will blind you. My reference was to Pitino’s slappy banner. Ask them if it’s still hanging.

Read more, hate less…

I've been meaning to say that we Louisville fans have been spoiled with head coaches for men's basketball. Crum and Pitino back to back for some 40 years is why the program is all time top 10.

There's no telling how many coaches we would be at now had Pitino not been hired. So now we get to see what most fans have to deal with, trying to find consistent excellence at the head coaching position.

We just made the stupid mistake of gambling on a first time coach who only got the job because he's an former Cards player. It's a big ass hole that we dug ourselves, but we were probably due for it after having back to back Hall of Fame coaches.

It's time though to get out of the hole or we may find the program being the next Indiana.
You also had Peck Hickman who started the streak of 23 consecutive winning seasons before Crum and Pitino.

You don’t have to read “tired trolling.” IGNORE is your friend.

Last time I checked, Payne was still in the job. And Year Three is next year. “Fact” and “pretty much been dismissed” are fanboy narratives.

My “astute financial analysis” was validated, among other ways, by how the Petrino situation turned out. I mention Petrino only because it’s similar. Clowns agreed to pay a huge buyout, and financials and fan support declined. Five years later, we’re still selling fewer season tickets.

The replacement hire—Satterfield—was thought to be solid, and he had a good track record. “How can we do worse than two wins” was that narrative; “how can we do worse” is today’s. Of course, we proved that was indeed possible.

And it’s because the coach ain’t the main problem. The arena is devoid of fans and our finances are trash just like they were before Payne’s arrival…
Nice dodge troll. You sticking by you prediction or not?

Your the one who keeps bringing him up. Him and that other guy. Just wanted to remind you he is no longer here nor will be again in case your like holding on to something.

Reactions: rh62531 and Art79
If we're being honest (some can do this, others not as much) we'd know after RP left town the program was lit on fire and there wasn't going to be a long line of HOF guys begging to take over. Or that big name up and comer either. Who wants to sign on to a repeat offender waiting for more potential bad news from the NCAA? We just have so many fans in denial that trivialize the problems. Others are so dishonest they'll even put their entire focus on the clean up crew. Helps 'em sleep at night.

They did well to get a HC of Mack's stature.

Then the turn to a former player with 0 experience was a move we were all worried about, but also was in step with the industry. Duke and UNC are sueperior programs and they did basically the same thing. Other programs such as Michigan, AZ, and now Syracuse hired guys with no experience as well. Unfortunately for us, our guy was just over his head.

The reality is these job openings are not getting filled by can't miss coaches overall. But in order for fans to think about this they'd have to be paying attention to the landscape. It's pretty easy to just stay in our own lane and not realize the direction this industry has gone. Then, we can just blame people for where our program is instead of being honest about it all.

If we're being honest (some can do this, others not as much) we'd know after RP left town the program was lit on fire and there wasn't going to be a long line of HOF guys begging to take over. Or that big name up and comer either. Who wants to sign on to a repeat offender waiting for more potential bad news from the NCAA? We just have so many fans in denial that trivialize the problems. Others are so dishonest they'll even put their entire focus on the clean up crew. Helps 'em sleep at night.

Then the turn to a former player with 0 experience was a move we were all worried about, but also was in step with the industry. Duke and UNC are sueperior programs and they did basically the same thing. Other programs such as Michigan, AZ, and now Syracuse hired guys with no experience as well. Unfortunately for us, our guy was just over his head.

The reality is these job openings are not getting filled by can't miss coaches overall. But in order for fans to think about this they'd have to be paying attention to the landscape. It's pretty easy to just stay in our own lane and not realize the direction this industry has gone. Then, we can just blame people for where our program is instead of being honest about it all.
Excellent post

Crum had two NCs and six FFs. When Pitino took the U of L job, he had one NC and four FFs.

Mack arrived with one E8. Payne had never been a head coach.

Quite a drop between the first two and the last two.

The huge oversight that was made by U of L in 2016-17 was minimizing the importance of INDIVIDUALS performing in their jobs. No problem replacing Ramsey, Jurich, or Pitino. Neeli, Tyra, and Mack will do fine.

And management continues with this flawed reasoning to this day. We’ve made bad decisions bringing in people who make more bad decisions. Now it’s a culture of nonperformers who IMO don’t recall anymore the way things used to be done.

After seven years, many never had a chance to experience it.

I have little hope for athletics returning to the good old days. We all want Brohm to fix that in his sport. But I look at what’s happening in baseball and wonder if that’s possible for even a really good coach.

It’s nonsense that the head coach is 100% responsible for his own destiny. If that was true, you don’t need an AD or an athletic department. Secretaries, order takers, and phone answerers will round out the team. No coach will ever need or say anything positive about an unnecessary AD.

If that’s the way we’re operating—and it probably is—no damn wonder we have problems…
Now who's trying to be the mind reader? You have zero knowledge nor proof that UofL "minimized the importance of individuals" - though your insistence in trying to bend any and every situation to fit your narrative is seemingly endless. Ramsey notwithstanding, it AGAIN is pretty much accepted fact that pitino and jurich were at the top of their respective professions - ergo when they were terminated - it only stands to reason that their replacements would be less accomplished. Replacing personnel happens all of the time - sometimes the replacements work out and sometimes they don't. Alabama just had to replace saban - if their new coach doesn't produce in the same fashion, will it be because of some "clown show" in their athletics department?

You have now referenced McDonnell in multiple posts - suggesting that he is somehow the victim of an inept AD. Do you have any specific examples that you can bring to support that or, is it just another example of you throwing as much bullshit against the wall and hoping some will stick?

It may be nonsense to suggest that the HC is 100% responsible for their own destiny however excluding unforeseen / uncontrollable factors like Covid, a HC is about 98% responsible. The athletic department exists to support them - primarily financially however if their teams are failing because of poor recruiting, poor player development or, poor game planning - that is on the HC 100%.

only 6 more games left. 5 regular season.
only hope for next year is a new coach.
sadly, there isn't good basketball to fall back on.
NBA is trash. 400 points in the All Star game.

Reactions: rh62531

Well put. Unfortunately for fans of historically successful programs - things change and past success is no guarantee of future success - and its not for lack of sincere effort from the athletic department.

Now who's trying to be the mind reader? You have zero knowledge nor proof that UofL "minimized the importance of individuals" - though your insistence in trying to bend any and every situation to fit your narrative is seemingly endless. Ramsey notwithstanding, it AGAIN is pretty much accepted fact that pitino and jurich were at the top of their respective professions - ergo when they were terminated - it only stands to reason that their replacements would be less accomplished. Replacing personnel happens all of the time - sometimes the replacements work out and sometimes they don't. Alabama just had to replace saban - if their new coach doesn't produce in the same fashion, will it be because of some "clown show" in their athletics department?

You have now referenced McDonnell in multiple posts - suggesting that he is somehow the victim of an inept AD. Do you have any specific examples that you can bring to support that or, is it just another example of you throwing as much bullshit against the wall and hoping some will stick?

It may be nonsense to suggest that the HC is 100% responsible for their own destiny however excluding unforeseen / uncontrollable factors like Covid, a HC is about 98% responsible. The athletic department exists to support them - primarily financially however if their teams are failing because of poor recruiting, poor player development or, poor game planning - that is on the HC 100%.
I don’t recall too many risks we took replacing key people before the house cleaning in 2016-18. Of course, we had competent, experienced people taking any risks.

When Jurich reasoned that it was time for a guy like Charlie Strong to take the next step, you considered the track record of the guy making the hire. And the vast majority of the time, he was right.

Now we take the obvious choice. Everyone nationally thought Mack was ready. Satterfield was supposedly a good option to take a step up. Too many people in this community were talking up Kenny Payne.

If that’s the extent of your research and effort, you don’t need an AD. Even the guys we’ve had in that position can get it done. Of course, we’ve all witnessed the results of unqualified ADs on auto pilot.

As far as CDM, I’ll just reiterate what I‘ve said in other threads… I’m not a big believer in coincidences, esp. many occurring in a relatively short time frame…

Last edited:
Well put. Unfortunately for fans of historically successful programs - things change and past success is no guarantee of future success - and its not for lack of sincere effort from the athletic department.
Good point. Florida went from Spurrier to Zook before getting to Urban. Fire Foley! Also, look at Josh's success with fixing the football situation. Josh stood up to Satterfield, coming off a Bowl season, and denied him the raise and contract extension Satt demanded. That took guts and IMO, a lot of AD's would have caved. I'm willing to give Josh the benefit of the doubt in how he's handling Kenny at this point.

I don’t recall too many risks we took replacing key people before the house cleaning in 2016-18. Of course, we had competent, experienced people taking any risks.

When Jurich reasoned that it was time for a guy like Charlie Strong to take the next step, you considered the track record of the guy making the hire. And the vast majority of the time, he was right.

Now we take the obvious choice. Everyone nationally thought Mack was ready. Satterfield was supposedly a good option to take a step up. Too many people in this community were talking up Kenny Payne.

If that’s the extent of your research and effort, you don’t need an AD. Even the guys we’ve had in that position can get if done. Of course, we’ve all witnessed the results.

As far as CDM, I’ll just reiterate what I‘ve said in other threads… I’m not a big believer in coincidences, esp. many occurring in a relatively short time frame…
Both kragthorpe and petrino 2.0 were risks that jurich unilaterally took that blew up in UofL's face. Jurich's hubris in failing to gage the situation and failing to properly monitor pitino - were risks he took that led directly to his dismissal and put the athletic department in a precarious position. Also as Knuckle mentioned earlier, had jurich not lucked into the timing that had pitino available - he was poised to hire larry eustachy - which would have been an unmitigated disaster.

And you are a huge believer in coincidences - if one can give you the chance to twist it to suit your narrative. If that is your answer to my McDonnell question - you truly don't have any genuine interest in honestly discussing the topic.

Good point. Florida went from Spurrier to Zook before getting to Urban. Fire Foley! Also, look at Josh's success with fixing the football situation. Josh stood up to Satterfield, coming off a Bowl season, and denied him the raise and contract extension Satt demanded. That took guts and IMO, a lot of AD's would have caved. I'm willing to give Josh the benefit of the doubt in how he's handling Kenny at this point.
I agree with all of your post - with the possible exception of the last sentence - lol. We'll know in a few weeks how (if) Heird is handling basketball.

Heird had no other options. There probably would have been a public execution—his—had he tried to solidify U of L’s relationship with Satterfield.

And our football finances a little over a year ago were heading the way of basketball’s.

That said, I’m willing to give Heird more credit for Brohm being here as long as he gets equal credit for Kenny Payne’s presence. I don’t think Heird had much of a role in either case…

Last edited:
Both kragthorpe and petrino 2.0 were risks that jurich unilaterally took that blew up in UofL's face. Jurich's hubris in failing to gage the situation and failing to properly monitor pitino - were risks he took that led directly to his dismissal and put the athletic department in a precarious position. Also as Knuckle mentioned earlier, had jurich not lucked into the timing that had pitino available - he was poised to hire larry eustachy - which would have been an unmitigated disaster.

And you are a huge believer in coincidences - if one can give you the chance to twist it to suit your narrative. If that is your answer to my McDonnell question - you truly don't have any genuine interest in honestly discussing the topic.
I’ll discuss any topic. Just don’t base your argument(s) on a run of coincidences.

K-rag was an obvious gaffe on Jurich’s part, and I’ve heard him acknowledge that. Like the recent replacements, it was a case of Jurich falling back on an obvious choice and not doing his homework. He failed to account for how K-rag would “fit” here behind Strong. Again, he’s admitted that.

Petrino 2.0 is the opposite situation and one in which a great leader takes the lead. Not many people were promoting Petrino for that opening. Yet Jurich proceeded to hire him because he knew Petrino could do the job. That was the important part. And Petrino took U of L to unparalleled heights for this program.

Of course, clowns didn’t consider what might happen to football when they blew up that situation. And we still feel the results…

Last edited:

Money not a problem. Booster is paying the buyout. Keep laughing...you'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT