ADVERTISEMENT

Great read on Lamar -- kinda long, but a really good read. Written before last night's game

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...rterback-but-hes-nowhere-near-a-great-one-yet

Some exceprts:

It's early in training camp—though not quite so early for the Ravens, who opened camp a week before most other teams and kick off the 2018 season in the Hall of Fame Game against the Bears on Thursday night—but one thing is clear: Jackson may be a great quarterback someday. But today is not that day. And the season opener September 9 won't be, either.
____

Not that Ravens coaches or players are worried about Jackson, a first-round pick and eventual successor to Flacco.

"As far as his accuracy and all of that: He has really, really worked hard," offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said. "You can see on the practice field—it's coming now. He's getting better every day."

"Now, there'll be a time where he takes a step back to take two steps forward ... but he's done an outstanding job up to date. He's way ahead of the curve now. This guy's a hard, hard worker. Tough-minded guy."

The Ravens, like any team that's massaging a multiple-quarterback situation so it does not inflame into a controversy, are committed to staying on message: Flacco is the starter; Jackson is learning and working hard. You hear variations of that message whenever a coach or veteran is asked about the rookie.

"Lamar's a baller, man," wide receiver
Michael Crabtree said. "He's out there right now working, trying to learn the offense, learn the coverages, the reads, and I feel like he's getting there."

"He's a very exciting young talent," linebacker Terrell Suggs said.

"Lamar is doing great," tackle Ronnie Stanley said. "It was definitely hard for him at first, but you can tell that he's improving, and he wants to improve more."

You get the idea.
_____

But while Flacco is having an exceptional camp, he's clearly past his never-scintillating prime. And Jackson dealt with nonstop predraft prattle about being better off at wide receiver than quarterback. So all eyes and ears are on the Ravens as they assert Flacco's primacy and Jackson's status as a promising, industrious rookie quarterback, all the while undercutting that message, just a little, by auditioning Jackson as a gadget-play wide receiver.
____

Still, what's most exciting about Jackson isn't his potential to run the Wildcat or single wing, but his potential to become a dynamic all-purpose, every-down starting quarterback. And there's plenty of evidence of that potential. All you have to do is look past the wobblers and clangers.
___

Minutes after rattling the rafters with an off-target pass, Jackson finds Chris Moore in the back corner of the end zone during a goal-line seven-on-seven drill. The pass is crisp and precise: no clang, no need to repeat the rep. With Flacco, Crabtree and others getting rest-the-veteran treatment during the second halves of early-camp practices, Jackson-to-Moore is technically a starter's rep.

"That dude's amazing," Moore said of Jackson after the session. "He can throw way better than I thought he could."

Moore watched Jackson on television last year like the rest of us—"You had to watch him: He won the Heisman!" Moore reminded—and assumed Jackson had a similar skill set to Louisville's previous quarterback, whom Moore's Cincinnati Bearcats faced a few times in college.

"I thought he was gonna be similar to Teddy Bridgewater," Moore said. "But he's an athletic freak. And he can throw like any quarterback who couldn't run."

Anyway .... a solid read. Football is almost here. Hallelujah.

FB RECRUITING: Dave's Deliberations: News, notes, & observations from Light up the Ville

Here is my article on what I picked up yesterday at Light up the 'Ville. I didn't include everything in this article that I learned because I wanted to save some discourse for you guys, the premium subscribers. Feel free to ask me anything you want regarding the article. What I mean is that if you need anything explained or want me to elaborate on what I wrote just comment below.

Dave's Deliberations: News, notes, & observations from Light up the Ville

Defense

Who's got the info on our LB development? I know we're going to bounce from a 4-3 to 3-4 and Robert Hicks is a stat sheet stud but did anybody see anything in the spring game that generated a lot of optimism?

Its hard to do worse than Sirmon in my opinion. Shouldn't be hard to improve on last year's performance; however, until proven otherwise VanGorder is far from his better days. Louisville is giving him a shot at bouncing back and I don't hate the hire. But if I have to watch Boston College break 40 again I'm going to have an absolute friggin meltdown.

Go Cards

Walz's USA U 18 squad downs Chile 115-39

Offense looked a lot more crisp yesterday. Free throw shooting better and, poor Chile, they were under-talented, over-matched and over-whelmed. Nice efforts from the two uncommitted players Aijha Blackwell and Maori Davenport. I watched on Facebook Live and joined the "chat" about the game.

There are a lot of strange people in this world...

www.cardinalcouple.com

LINK: Ohio State / Urban Meyer / Asst Coach Domestic Violence

If Urban Meyer knew about OSU coach's alleged domestic violence and did nothing, he deserves to be fired

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meye...iolence-nothing-deserves-fired-174323593.html

In 2015, Courtney Smith, the then-wife of then-Ohio State assistant football coach Zach Smith, alleges she was physically attacked by her then-husband. She has gruesome and heartbreaking photos to back it up, part of a lengthy abusive relationship, which includes a 2009 arrest of Zach Smith for domestic abuse when he worked for Urban Meyer at the University of Florida.

Despite that 2009 arrest, which did not result in a conviction, Meyer again hired Smith when Meyer became the head coach at OSU.

“We found out what happened, coordinated through both parties, met with them,” Meyer said of the 2009 incident. “There were no charges, everything was dropped. It was a very young couple, and I saw a very talented coach and we moved forward.”

Giving Zach Smith a second (or who knows how high the number) chance was a major personnel risk and, considering the abuse allegedly didn’t stop, a terrible call by Meyer.

757be9e2bd239e60a5b4897bc4eeeec8

View photos
Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer autographs a hat at the Big Ten Conference NCAA college football media days in Chicago. (AP)

“I was never told about anything, anything never came to light, never had a conversation about it, so I know nothing about that,” Meyer said last week.

He went as far as to cast aspersions on McMurphy’s reporting.

It is clear that at least Shelley Meyer knew about the 2015 allegation, which included horrific photos of a bloodied and bruised Courtney Smith. It is also clear that Shelley Meyer took the incident serious enough that on at least on occasion she reached out to Courtney Smith to inquire how she was and offer additional support. Shelley Meyer also confirmed she saw the pictures.

“I am with you!” Shelley Meyer texted. “A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don’t blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me.”

“Restraining orders don’t do anything in Ohio,” Courtney Smith texted back. “I tried to get protection order which is what started this whole investigation. And that should go through soon finally. It’s hard [because] you have to prove immediate danger. Legal system is tough. Basically, you have to prove he will kill u to get protective order.”

“Geesh! Even [with] the pics?” Shelley Meyer texted. “Didn’t law enforcement come to your place ever??”

It went on from there. Courtney Smith said numerous wives on the Ohio State staff knew of the 2015 incident where Courtney claimed Zach shoved her against a wall and strangled her all while their then 5-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter were in the room. Police were called but the incident did not progress to any arrests.

“I told Shelley,” Courtney said. “I sent her some pictures. I spoke to her on the phone. She said she was going to have to tell Urban. I said, ‘That’s fine. You should tell Urban. You can’t have someone like this coaching young men.’ ”

0a1cc8c569e91b9cf762f121b836a20d

View photos
Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes walks off the field alongside his wife Shelley after his team won 45-24 against the Oklahoma Sooners at Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on September 17, 2016 in Norman, Oklahoma. (Getty)

At this point, the only way for Urban Meyer to claim he knew “nothing” about that is to believe that Shelley did not inform him of this. The two are remarkably close and Urban Meyer has, for years, publicly stated how Shelley is essentially part of his coaching staff and plays a role in managing people, players and families.

If Shelley Meyer didn’t tell Urban though, then the question is why? How could a woman claim Zach Smith “scares her” and offer sympathy for his alleged abuse victim but then not care enough to mention it to Urban Meyer, thus continuing to allow Zach Smith to coach and mentor Buckeyes football players?

It’s why the concept of Shelley saying nothing to Urban is, while possible, so improbable. Shelley Meyer is a strong woman. She is also a registered nurse and an instructor at Ohio State’s College of Nursing and thus is bound by Title IX statutes to report abuse. Urban Meyer, as a coach, is also mandated to report it.

If Urban Meyer knew anything at all about the 2015 incident, then he wasn’t just employing and covering up for an alleged violent abuser. Even last week he was still lying about it.

The first part is enough to question the judgment of the coach, who particularly during his time at Florida recruited and coached numerous troubled players, most notably tight end Aaron Hernandez. That he would still be untruthful and covering up a week ago makes it clear nothing has changed with him.

There would be no way he could remain in his job.

For Urban Meyer, this is bad decisions piled upon bad decisions. Zach Smith was a walk-on for Meyer at his first head coaching job at Bowling Green. He clearly had a soft spot for him. Why is the question. There are thousands of decent and law-abiding coaches who would love to work at Ohio State. The school and its storied football program deserve far better than this, something Urban Meyer at least pays lip service.

“It’s the Ohio State University, it’s bigger than all of us,” Urban said last week. “So you have to do what’s right by them.”

Urban Meyer, Shelley Meyer and Ohio State have yet to comment on the new allegations. Urban and athletic director Gene Smith were meeting as of early Wednesday afternoon.

The explanation better be substantial and exceedingly believable. Even then, it might not be enough.

The days of taking Urban Meyer’s word for much of anything are long past.

Closing out the recruiting class

Wanted to give a take on some guys that we appear to be pursuing that we haven’t heard much about lately.
Looking at who we have offered on defense and their interests from 247 it looks like we have potential to land a few options at DE/OLB, but the class likely won’t include a DB (except a potential athlete). Here are some guys I think the staff may move in on that we haven’t heard much from lately.

Raymond Cutts - DE/OLB: appears to be down to us and Clemson and Clemmy’s class is almost complete. See Jarrett Jackson’s recruitment last year with FSU as example. Cutts may fall in our lap.

Mikel Jones - OLB: This guy is probably going to end up at Miami if they have room, but he is supposedly “warm” with us, Uk and LSU. If the staff can secure a visit and we may have a shot.

Jamie Pettway - OLB: South Carolina appears to be the main competition, but I think this is another guy where if we can maybe get a visit, maybe we can jump in on him. Similar to Jones and Miami.

Myles Farmer - S/WR : he appears to be friends or acquaintences with UofL commit Jeremiah Pruitte and has been brought up recently. If we need depth in the secondary we could take him as a safety.

On offense the RB spot sticks out as a position we haven’t heard much about but some names blipped on the radar here and there. (Robbins is a solid commit and quite the player) We may not be done here.

Tony Mathis - Been discussed a little bit recently. Appears to be us vs WVU. Would be a change of pace guy to combine with Robbins power running.

John Bivens - Seemingly down to us, Uk and Nebraska. If we decide that we need another back he could be a solid guy to fill this role.

Treshaun Ward - I don’t think he’s a take, but he would need to bulk up and fill that Brandon Radcliffe role. Appears we are behind Maryland.

Mekhi Sargent - we are seemingly the only team involved. If we have a scholarship open, I expect him to come on as a Juco prospect. Similar size to ward. (Shorter guy but can bulk up a little more).

If we can pick up 2-3 of those defensive players that have had a rather quiet recruitment with us and possibly one running back in addition to Milton Wright and JJ Weaver who we look good with I would say this class is pretty successful. Particularly if we pick up Raymond Cutts. He, Weaver, and Varner could all provide solid depth on the line. Farmer could fall in at safety, or Pettway/Jones could fill the linebacker spot and we’d have a solid 2-3 deep building up on the defense. Another guy that has come up recently is Jordan Clark. He would be a good pick-up at DB now that Otey appears off the table. Get 5 or so defensive prospects mentioned here and I’d be content.

Running back has been a spot of injury for the cards so if Wilson/Williams are banged up all year look for the cards to take 1 more IMO. Can’t have enough backs.

All in all there is a potential to finish strong. Some of our top guys may end up elsewhere (Otey and Casey) but hopefully the staff is in touch with some of the mentioned guys that are under the radar and we finish with a solid class filling our needs in the top 50.

FB RECRUITING: Update on 4-star Raymond Woodie

I spoke with four-star athlete Ryamond Woodie III yesterday.

He told me he is primarily focused on Louisville, California, FSU, and Arkansas right now but doesn't have a time frame for a commitment. I guess you can say this is an unofficial top-four.

He says he’s closest with linebacker's coach Ryan Beard and recruiting coordinator Richard Owens from Louisville’s staff. Beard makes sense because he played under Woodie's father at WKU.

"Coach Beard stays in touch with me al the time and coach Owens keeps it real," said Woodie.

He also mentioned that he hears from Louisville commits in the 2019 class the most, followed by Cal commits.

Of course FSU looms heavy because his father coaches there but I don't think he is a lock to go there and that if he returns to Louisville on his own dime (he already took an official visit to Louisville this Summer) that will be very telling. He did tell me he plans to get back up to Louisville for a game this fall.

He is also working on figuring out official visit plans to California and Arkansas but doesn't have anything finalized at the moment. He said that training for the season and two-a-day practices are his main priority right now but he will have things figured out soon. He also said he will probably take an official to FSU.

California is also very intriguing to Woodie and he likes the academic prowess of the school. Arkansas seems to be fourth on his list but he is hoping to get to campus and get a feel for the program, its players, and coaches.

From our conversation it seems he is torn between FSU and Louisville, seriously curious about CAL, and keeping an open mind about Arkansas.

Rick Pitino promises to tell all in upcoming memoir

RZGWHLEUBEI6RAML5G3TJDGYPU.jpg

By Associated PressJuly 30 at 11:02 AM

NEW YORK — Rick Pitino is ready to tell his story.

The former Louisville coach has a memoir coming in September that will “lay all his cards on the table,” Diversion Books announced Monday. “Pitino: My Story,” co-written by Seth Kaufman, is coming out Sept. 4. The book will cover everything from his time coaching the New York Knicks and Boston Celtics to his triumphant and troubled career in the NCAA.

Pitino was ousted from Louisville in 2017 amid a multiyear, multischool investigation into the alleged payment of hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes and kickbacks designed to influence recruits. The NCAA vacated the Cardinals’ 2013 national championship. Pitino, who has denied any wrongdoing, will take on “opportunistic agents” and “predatory apparel companies” among others, according to his publisher.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...9b7348cd87d_story.html?utm_term=.9abc0c5152ca
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT