ADVERTISEMENT

Its not Petrino....thats throwing the ball

That's true. Pass has missed at least 3 touchdown passes which were wide open down the middle. He is aiming the ball on those passes instead of throwing them and they're not on target. When he just throws it, he does better. He has to stop aiming it.

I agree but the play calling today is better than what it has been all year. I also like Hall in the backfield he hits the hole fast. It seems like all our other running backs love to stutter step when they hit the hole and it doesn't get them anywhere.

Petrino has set up some great plays. U of L's quarterback is just not completing his passes. So stop blaming coach Petrino.

tenor.gif

I think everyone is missing who is to blame. Puma has proven not to be a good passer. Even though he was known as one in High School. Guess who else was known for not being accurate at passing? Lamar. But his feet and speed made up for it. Both athletes one moment will over throw their WR by 10 yards. The next pass, their pass bounces off the turf 5 yards in front of the WR. It's Petrinos son Nick who is the QB coach that I feel needs to go. He can't get his QB's to toss worth a shizz.

Reactions: zipp
You can make excuses all day and spread blame around to whomever you want. At the end of the day it all comes back to Petrino and as I've stated on here numerous times.....This isn't a new development, these problems have always been here, Lamar just made up for some of them. UL had the most electric player in 20 years and outside of the first half of the 16' season was never relevant. Louisville's problems have been here this entire time and no matter if its the players or the assistants it all comes back to Bobby's inability to put together a good staff and his and the staffs inability to get solid, disciplined football out of the kids.

Guys, its Petrino....stop making excuses for everyone else.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I think everyone is missing who is to blame. Puma has proven not to be a good passer. Even though he was known as one in High School. Guess who else was known for not being accurate at passing? Lamar. But his feet and speed made up for it. Both athletes one moment will over throw their WR by 10 yards. The next pass, their pass bounces off the turf 5 yards in front of the WR. It's Petrinos son Nick who is the QB coach that I feel needs to go. He can't get his QB's to toss worth a shizz.

Good point and I agree with the Nick assessment, but our HC just made one of the biggest bone headed calls I can remember. He lost this game. It could have been put away earlier, but it was lost on that ridiculous play call.

Petrino has set up some great plays. U of L's quarterback is just not completing his passes. So stop blaming coach Petrino.

It certainly is on one of the Petrino's about why he can't throw passes over the middle..........name is Nick Petrino. Puma has been in the system for 2 years. Absolutely no reason he should be missing that many passes.

Also, idc that Petrino called a good game. NONE of that matters because the last play he called when we had the lead was atrocious.

I agree but the play calling today is better than what it has been all year. I also like Hall in the backfield he hits the hole fast. It seems like all our other running backs love to stutter step when they hit the hole and it doesn't get them anywhere.
Hall will be good but has fumble issues..

LJ had throwing issues, but nothing like Pass. It’s not an arm thing, either. It’s that brain of his.

Pass has fundamental issues- balance, slow delivery, but mostly it’s his inability to deliver the ball on time. He needs to set his feet properly, otherwise he gets nothing on the ball. He can improve with proper coaching and hard work, but it’s mostly on him. Is he a leader? Will this be his team? We’ll soon see. It doesn’t look promising right now.

Pass has fundamental issues- balance, slow delivery, but mostly it’s his inability to deliver the ball on time. He needs to set his feet properly, otherwise he gets nothing on the ball. He can improve with proper coaching and hard work, but it’s mostly on him. Is he a leader? Will this be his team? We’ll soon see. It doesn’t look promising right now.
Bobby basically said that they went with Pass because of his leadership and the team’s faith in him. I wonder if that changes this week.

Pass needs better accuracy than a hybrid QB. More of his overall effectiveness depends on his passing skill.

And it's funny that Lamar didn't need coaching, but Pass does. A guy who didn't have fundamental QB skills needed less coaching.

Whatever narrative suits the Nick Petrino haters... o_O

Pass definitely has done issues with his mechanics. Almost every bad throw involves poor transfer of weight. I don’t know if Nick can coach or not, but there is no doubt he isn’t qualified for the position he got. If Bobby were let go at the end of the year, I can guarantee you that Nick wouldn’t get anything remotely equivalent to the job he has now. For his career development and long term prospects it probably would’ve been best for Bobby to have helped Nick get a job somewhere else (ie: Idaho) where he could branch out some.

Reactions: earsky and wilkie01
No, but he and his son are coaching them! And they recruited them, so how are they not a big part of the problem, too?
The players aren’t puppets. They have to perform. Everything isn’t on the coaches. Time for Puma to man up and take charge.

The players aren’t puppets. They have to perform. Everything isn’t on the coaches. Time for Puma to man up and take charge.

Players are a REFLECTION of their coaches.
Jaylen Smith finally shows up.

Running game finally produces 100 yds from running backs.

Offense scored 21 points-in the first half.

Offense couldn't score but 3 points in the second half because of Puma's poor mechanics.

Secondary , swiss cheese in the 2nd half.

No sacks.

Who is teaching and coaching the players during the game ?

Reactions: HRTheCard

Offense couldn't score but 3 points in the second half because of Puma's poor mechanics.

No sacks.

Coaches are responsible for preparing the players right up to game time and players are responsible for performing during the game. First few offensive series are scripted and then it’s basically reaction to the opposing team and situations. We’re lacking in several areas.

Reactions: wilkie01

Cards threw the ball when they obviously should have run it on the INT and that single play call trumped any and all other plays called combined that were considered good.

But to your specific point, if players can't make the plays that are being called earlier in the game maybe the coach needs to adjust play calling to fit the skills of what his players can do.

Or, maybe fans should accept that players can't make the plays early in their career but maybe they will be able to make the plays as they gain experience with the system later in their career.

Or, maybe the players failing to make the plays will be replaced by other players that might be able to, or will be able to make the plays.

Or, maybe the players failing to make the plays will be replaced by other players that can't make the plays either.

Bobby basically said that they went with Pass because of his leadership and the team’s faith in him. I wonder if that changes this week.

Pass threw for over 300 yards and managed 2 TD passes - he connected with 7 different receivers. Cunningham didn't see the field. So it would be rather stunning if Pass isn't starting next week.

No sacks.

The same people who coached them the first half.

no, he's not throwing it but he's been teaching the person who is for almost two years. coach should remind qb and team they are running the ball down their throat until the clock runs out because that is far more important than scoring when you are ahead already. just run the damn ball. simple

Pass threw for over 300 yards and managed 2 TD passes - he connected with 7 different receivers. Cunningham didn't see the field. So it would be rather stunning if Pass isn't starting next week.
I don’t disagree but he wasn’t effective in the 4th quarter or even 2nd half. We managed 3 points. His first overthrow or missed receiver will have the mass calling for Cunningham or even Travis.

Perino 1.0 was finish the game by pounding the line with big backs. We moved the ball to the 19, in 1.0 style and Petino calls a PASS!? Whether the play was open or not, it was a bonehead call by the coach under the circumstances.

I don’t disagree but he wasn’t effective in the 4th quarter or even 2nd half. We managed 3 points. His first overthrow or missed receiver will have the mass calling for Cunningham or even Travis.
Welcome to big boy football, Jawon. Man up and take charge.

Reactions: zipp
Here's an easy way to eliminate threads like this in the future....if you're complaining about something going on with Louisville football.....its under Petrino.

Pass can't make the throws? Why not? Highly touted recruit, huge frame, been in the program 3 years, should know Bobby's offense and play calling by now...been working with Jaylen and Dez for 2 years. Thats on Nick or Bobby for not having him ready.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Pass isn't a good enough QB to already own that job. His performance in the 2nd half Saturday was Virginia-like again.

The element of uncertainty would help this team. Forcing the opponent to prepare for TWO QBs who are nothing alike is better that just riding with Pass. It's not unlike the Ravens are doing with Lamar by inserting him on plays.

IMO, Malik needs to see the field until there's a big contrast in how well these two guys perform. Two QBs are hard to manage, but so is playing against them...

Reactions: Mayoman
Here's an easy way to eliminate threads like this in the future....if you're complaining about something going on with Louisville football.....its under Petrino.

Pass can't make the throws? Why not? Highly touted recruit, huge frame, been in the program 3 years, should know Bobby's offense and play calling by now...been working with Jaylen and Dez for 2 years. Thats on Nick or Bobby for not having him ready.
giphy.gif

Reactions: EKYCard643
Malik can't throw it downfield yet. He may deserve a series as change of pace but the Cards are way too easy to stop with him in there.

The U VA game really exposed him.

Malik can't throw it downfield yet. He may deserve a series as change of pace but the Cards are way too easy to stop with him in there.

The U VA game really exposed him.
UVA exposed a lotta people incl. the guys on the sidelines. And Lefors didn't have much of an arm as a senior...

Pass needs better accuracy than a hybrid QB. More of his overall effectiveness depends on his passing skill.

And it's funny that Lamar didn't need coaching, but Pass does. A guy who didn't have fundamental QB skills needed less coaching.

Whatever narrative suits the Nick Petrino haters... o_O
Lamar didn't need as much coaching because you can't teach what makes him special. I don't know that anybody hates NP - he's just not qualified for the position.

Lamar didn't need as much coaching because you can't teach what makes him special...
But he went from fits-and-starts in one year to Heisman Trophy winner the next, didn't he? Same QB and team, same coaching, ten months removed...

UVA exposed a lotta people incl. the guys on the sidelines. And Lefors didn't have much of an arm as a senior...

Malik isn't a SR.

It's not that he doesn't have a future it's just obviously not right now. He throws the ball east/west.

Pass actually made strides last week despite all the noise around here. He put up 300+ connected with 7 different receivers and engineered multiple scoring drives against a team with a good defense that plays with a terrible offense. His rushing TD was a thing of beauty.

It wasn't outstanding but not bad in his 4th career start, especially considering how bad the first 3 starts went for him.

He's got a long way to go but playing musical chairs at QB won't help him and it has proven to not help the team much in the 5 game sample.

I really hope Petrino sticks with Pass unless he just face plants and forces his hand.

Last edited:
But he went from fits-and-starts in one year to Heisman Trophy winner the next, didn't he? Same QB and team, same coaching, ten months removed...

They don't want to credit Petrino for anything involving Lamar. I don't know how much they coached him up but I do know many other coaches would have used him as a WR and not QB so maybe Petrino deserves some credit there.

They don't want to credit Petrino for anything involving Lamar. I don't know how much they coached him up but I do know many other coaches would have used him as a WR and not QB so maybe Petrino deserves some credit there.
Well he told the NFL he was a QB only. Don’t think he wouldn’t hesitate to tell Bobby the same thing and could be one of the reasons we landed him and not somebody else. Reflect on that.

I take your point but, I’d bet most if that improvement was due to coaching by BP and not NP and a large part was that LJ simply adjusted to the overall college game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT