ADVERTISEMENT

Bottom line

CardsFirst

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2007
No AD in their right mind should replace the HC mid season. So Bobby has 7 games to turn this season around. I for one hope he does because there’s no guarantee the new BOT will spend the money needed to bring in a top coach. So it really benefits everyone that Bobby gets it together. And there’s really nothing any of us can do except support the team.

If it doesn’t turn around then I hope there’s money out there if Vince decides to replace Bobby and that the BOT supports that.

Last edited:
BP isn’t getting removed mid-season. He’ll likely not get removed after the season. But let the record show he sucks at his job.

Reactions: wilkie01
...If it doesn’t turn around then I hope there’s money out there if Vince decides to replace Bobby and that the BOT supports that.
ON TOP OF Petrino's buyout of $12-13 million, the incoming coach will obviously receive his U of L salary. If that coach is Jeff Brohm, he's already getting $3.9 million annually from Purdue, escalating by at least $100,000 per year, and all of it guaranteed thru 2024. (WTF was their AD thinking??) That sums to $29.0 million, and after this season, he still has $25.2 million left that's guaranteed.

IMO, Jeff wouldn't consider another job for less than $30 million and a salary approaching $5 million annually. And THAT's assuming that Purdue doesn't up the ante again which would not surprise me at all.

Now I saw this mentioned earlier, and I checked to ensure it's accurate... ON TOP OF those numbers, Brohm's contract also requires a buyout to Purdue of $4.4 million before 12/5 and $3.3 million afterward.

So, our boy Vince has to come up with $16-17 million to dump Bobby this year and hire Jeff. Where I come from, they read that kinda stuff to kids to help them fall asleep.

You're right, Bobby needs to "get it together"...

Last edited:
That's when it will happen IF it happens. Petrino has the rest of this year then decisions need to be made. The money needed to change coaches is going to be the issue for Tyra to figure out. Where does he get it?

Kerry, I want him to turn it around also. I was tickled pink, when Jurich hired Bobby. But Kerry, we have to face the fact that he is not the coach of olde. And do not care for new 2.0 version.

So, our boy Vince has to come up with $16-17 million to dump Bobby this year and hire Jeff. Where I come from, they read that kinda stuff to kids to help them fall asleep....
Please list some examples of when the athletic department wanted to do something that required a substantial amount of money but was unable to figure it out and scrapped the plans - focus specifically in the areas of coaching changes and investments analogous to the 15-20M range. Maybe there are a bunch and my memory is faulty.

Pitino was getting 8M a year for goodness sakes - how in the world was the university able to come up with that amount that has materially changed? Most of that was from outside sources - TV, etc.and not directly from the university if I understand the contract.

Please list some examples of when the athletic department wanted to do something that required a substantial amount of money but was unable to figure it out and scrapped the plans - focus specifically in the areas of coaching changes and investments analogous to the 15-20M range. Maybe there are a bunch and my memory is faulty.

Pitino was getting 8M a year for goodness sakes - how in the world was the university able to come up with that amount that has materially changed? Most of that was from outside sources - TV, etc.and not directly from the university if I understand the contract.
I don't think athletics has ever paid anything close to that for something that wasn't a well publicized capital project. Is Tyra gonna hold a presser like one of the Juriches used to announcing that the ULAA is soliciting donations to bring in Brohm? :)

Pitino was paid $5 million by U of L from annual revenue credited to basketball. That was pay as you go, no special fund raise...

I don't think athletics has ever paid anything close to that for something that wasn't a well publicized capital project. Is Tyra gonna hold a presser like one of the Juriches used to announcing that the ULAA is soliciting donations to bring in Brohm? :)

Pitino was paid $5 million by U of L from annual revenue credited to basketball. That was pay as you go, no special fund raise...
Denny Crum received a 7M buyout in 2001 and the university gave him approximately 8M (5.7M just over the last 6-7 years to boot) - for an approximate total of 15M - he was making 3.5M per year as the HC. They then turn around and hire Pitino to a multiyear deal for 8M a year.

Simply using the initial portion of Crum's buyout and Pitino's 1st year salary gives you a number of 15M - In 2001.

And that's before all that FU adidas and ACC money.

Denny Crum received a 7M buyout in 2001 and the university gave him approximately 8M (5.7M just over the last 6-7 years to boot) - for an approximate total of 15M - he was making 3.5M per year as the HC. They then turn around and hire Pitino to a multiyear deal for 8M a year.

Simply using the initial portion of Crum's buyout and Pitino's 1st year salary gives you a number of 15M - In 2001.

And that's before all that FU adidas and ACC money.
What's those numbers annualize to? How much did U of L have to pay Crum in 2001, 2002, 2003, etc.?

Pitino's most recent base salary from U of L was around $5 million annually. Info for his original contract--what he was "hired" for--is tougher to find. This LINK says it was around a million annually.

You'll have to bridge the difference between those numbers and your $8 million figure for Pitino...

16y3xo.jpg

What's those numbers annualize to? How much did U of L have to pay Crum in 2001, 2002, 2003, etc.?

Pitino's most recent base salary from U of L was around $5 million annually. Info for his original contract--what he was "hired" for--is tougher to find. This LINK says it was around a million annually.

You'll have to bridge the difference between those numbers and your $8 million figure for Pitino...
Here’s a link speaking to the Crum - Pitino coaching switch. https://www.google.com/amp/www2.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/rick-pitino-louisville-adidas-20170927.html?outputType=amp

From the article

“In the time it took for the Louisville basketball coach's office door to swing open and shut, the university had committed at least $19 million to the two men.”

Worth noting is that the present day value of Crum’s buyout is 10.2M and the total present day value of the 19M is 27.75M.

I'm sure its obvious now that I would rather we replace Petrino.

My view - I don't think its likely they replace Petrino after this year. Especially if he gets to 5 or 6 wins.

I would be curious to see what they do if the bottom completely falls out and we finish 2-10, UK drags us to end the year, the stadium is 50% UK fans, attendance doesn't top 40,000 for the non-UK home games, recruiting continues to struggle, all the local recruits go out of state or to UK....I would be curious to see if the athletic department would try and maneuver the finances in way to replace Bobby.

^----The bottom falling out is completely possible too.

I'm not sure what our options as fans are at this point. Obviously I root for the Cards to win every game and I want Petrino to turn this season around and raise the program to new heights, but no part of me actually believes Petrino and this ever changing staff are going to suddenly start beating good teams and recruiting better talent and the logical part of me has seen his contract and knows how it looks the next few years.

I don't know. I won't really knock anyone's view of the program right now whether its blind support of Bobby or utter frustration and anger. We're all just fans of the same program who want the same thing.

There will be some rich people in louisville who will pony up money to get him out and a new coach in here if he keeps getting his ass kicked every week. Contrary to what Zipp says, he does not know every rich person or donor in the city. There are a few people who want the whole program cleaned out and Petrino is the last remaining piece.

There will be some rich people in louisville who will pony up money to get him out and a new coach in here if he keeps getting his ass kicked every week. Contrary to what Zipp says, he does not know every rich person or donor in the city. There are a few people who want the whole program cleaned out and Petrino is the last remaining piece.

I concur 100% with you. Nice post bro!

Reactions: EKYCard643

To be honest, TJ was usually three steps shead when it came to planning and never had to deal with a financial climate like this one. Let’s hope Bobby gets it figured out.

I'm sure its obvious now that I would rather we replace Petrino.

My view - I don't think its likely they replace Petrino after this year. Especially if he gets to 5 or 6 wins.

I would be curious to see what they do if the bottom completely falls out and we finish 2-10, UK drags us to end the year, the stadium is 50% UK fans, attendance doesn't top 40,000 for the non-UK home games, recruiting continues to struggle, all the local recruits go out of state or to UK....I would be curious to see if the athletic department would try and maneuver the finances in way to replace Bobby.

^----The bottom falling out is completely possible too.

I'm not sure what our options as fans are at this point. Obviously I root for the Cards to win every game and I want Petrino to turn this season around and raise the program to new heights, but no part of me actually believes Petrino and this ever changing staff are going to suddenly start beating good teams and recruiting better talent and the logical part of me has seen his contract and knows how it looks the next few years.

I don't know. I won't really knock anyone's view of the program right now whether its blind support of Bobby or utter frustration and anger. We're all just fans of the same program who want the same thing.
Last year’s recruiting class looks really good- Hicks, Goldwire, Tutu, mbanasor, even Dumervil-Jean are getting major minutes, and there are others. The current recruiting class is building depth. This year looks tough, but the next 2 years look very promising, especially if a QB emerges. Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.

Last year’s recruiting class looks really good- Hicks, Goldwire, Tutu, mbanasor, even Dumervil-Jean are getting major minutes, and there are others. The current recruiting class is building depth. This year looks tough, but the next 2 years look very promising, especially if a QB emerges. Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.

Get out of here with all that rational crap. Don't wanna hear about all the freshmen and sophomores playing, and the fact they'll be here the rest of this season, 2019, and 2020. They'll get older, bigger, stronger, more experienced, and better. It's already happening - ok Bobby's "Dang it Bobby" moment which lost the game - did ANYONE not see huge improvement against FSU?

But by all means, continue with the FARRRR THAT ROBBY PERTRINIO.

I think Tyra will take a business approach to this if we finish with 3 or so wins. Step 1 is obviously look at the financial picture. I think step 2 would be going to Bobby and task him with a plan to get back to successful football (In particular I think he’ll find out what his staff plans are and figure out if Bobby can formulate a top 20 type staff).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT