ADVERTISEMENT

Official - Louisville Basketball Adds 6-4 Guard/Forward Wyatt Battaile

Louisville Basketball Adds 6-4 Guard/Forward Wyatt Battaile

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Wyatt Battaile, a 6-4, 180-pound guard/forward from Pikeville (Ky.) High School who led his team to the Kentucky Sweet 16 Tournament, will join the University of Louisville men’s basketball team as a preferred walk-on.

Battaile (pronounced BATTLE) averaged 24.1 points, 8.6 rebounds and 4.3 assists as a senior in leading Pikeville to a 25-10 record, their second straight 15th Region Championship and their second consecutive berth in the Kentucky Sweet 16. He was honored on the Sweet 16 All-Tournament team as Pikeville reached the state Elite Eight before falling to Warren Central.

“Wyatt is a Kentucky kid and played for a former Cardinal at Pikeville High School,” said UofL Head Coach Chris Mack. “Wyatt is tough kid who can do it a little bit of everything on the floor. He’s athletic, skilled and is anxious to begin his career at the Division I high major level.”

Battalie also received the KABC Larry Conley Ultimate Teammate Award at the 2018 Sweet 16, an award presented to a participant whose individual play exemplifies the style of play where scoring isn’t the most important aspect of the game, and is complemented by passing, rebounding and blocked shots.

Coached at Pikeville by former UofL guard Elisha Justice, Battaile was an all-state selection and ranked 16th in the state in scoring. He was named the Appalachian Newspapers Player of the Year and was a member of the Kentucky All-Star team that participated in the Ohio-Kentucky All-Star game in April.

He scored 2,211 points in four years at Pikeville while burying 139 three-point field goals. Battaile averaged 20.2 points and 7.4 rebounds as a junior as Pikeville posted a 23-9 record and advanced to the Kentucky Sweet 16. He averaged 17.2 points as a sophomore and 10.1 points as a freshman. Battaile totaled 30 points, seven rebounds and made 5-of-12 three-pointers in Pikeville’s triple overtime 2018 Sweet 16 victory over John Hardin.

Battaile also played three seasons of football for Pikeville, helping the Panthers claim the 2015 Class A state championship. In that championship season, he completed 76-of-95 passes for 1,330 yards and 20 touchdowns, while also rushing for 399 yards and four TDs. In the 2015 state championship game against Beechwood, he threw for 177 yards and three touchdowns while completing 8-of-13 passes.

Battaile is enrolled at UofL in the current summer session which began this week. He had originally planned to attend Morehead State before choosing to join the Cardinals’ program.

BOZICH: Vince Tyra's 9-month achievements, Jurich comparisons, plunking Frank Thomas

BOZICH: Vince Tyra's 9-month achievements, Jurich comparisons, plunking Frank Thomas
What has Vince Tyra achieved in 9 months as the Louisville athletic director? How does he deal with Tom Jurich comparisons? Why did he hit Frank Thomas?
Saturday, June 30th 2018, 3:06 pm EDT by Rick Bozich
Updated:
Saturday, June 30th 2018, 4:27 pm EDT
17097487_G.jpeg

By Rick Bozich
WDRB Sports

(Part one of two stories on Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra.)

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — Two framed pictures of Johnny Unitas sparkle from a shelf in the athletic director’s suite at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.

Snapshots of Brian Brohm, Teddy Bridgewater, Chris Redman, Charlie Strong, Bobby Petrino and other former Cardinal greats are spaced across a pair of walls that flank a wet bar and mirrored area.

Of course, there are pictures of Lamar Jackson. And two photos of Tom Jurich, the former athletic director who formulated many of his colossal plans to transform Louisville athletics from inside this suite that he controlled from the day the football stadium opened in 1998.

Guess whose face you will not see in the two dozen or so photographs that tell the story of Cardinal football over the last two decades?

Vincent J. Tyra, Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and Athletics Director.

“No need for that,” Vince Tyra said. “It’s not something I worry about.”

With the 2017-18 athletic year completed and next season about two months away, Tyra, 51, has quietly but effectively completed nine months of one of the most unforgiving assignments in athletics or leadership:

Being the man who follows The Man, replacing Jurich as the Cards’ AD.

There has been no time — and no desire — to redecorate. Not when a new men’s basketball coach (Chris Mack) needed to be hired. A Final Four women’s basketball coach (Jeff Walz) and College World Series baseball coach (Dan McDonnell) had to be retained in a lucrative job market.

The administrative staff had to be reorganized — and refocused. Budget concerns are always a topic, especially with lower basketball attendance and a larger obligation to the KFC Yum! Center.

Then there are always those folks who look at decisions Tyra has made through the relentlessly rosy philosophy of “In Tom We Trust.” Make no mistake: Despite the NCAA issues that percolated around Rick Pitino's basketball program, a significant group of Louisville fans did not want Jurich replaced.

You’d better find a more imaginative way of second-guessing what Tyra has done since replacing Jurich after his unexpected and acrimonious dismissal last fall.

"No, I've never worried about that,” Tyra said. “I'm respectful of what we have accomplished here, but I'm also respectful of what (former AD) Bill Olsen accomplished here and (former basketball coach) Peck Hickman and others who have built this.

“This place has been around a long time. It's not meant to be demeaning to anyone who's been here since before I was born or after, but I think this place is its own self. We're going to play our 100th football season this year and none of us here were there 100 years ago and none of us will be here after the next 100.

“I just think we're stewards of the good things we have here. And how do you make them better along the way …

“I’ve never really thought about comparisons because I feel like I have my own track record that I’m pretty proud of.

“I didn’t take any of these opportunities or invest in any of these companies to do the same or worse, I think, in the same role to say, ‘Jeez, I hope I can do as well or worse than Tom.’

“I came in here to say, ‘What can we build on to make this place better?’ “

Which is the same philosophy Tyra carried to Broder Brothers more than 15 years ago when he directed a sportswear company that had been run by a Broder family member for more than four decades.

Which is the same belief Tyra shared when he was 31 and took charge of a troubled $2.5 billion apparel company like Fruit of the Loom, replacing an executive who had been in charge for 25 years.

Fixing a basketball program stained by a string of scandals that terminated a Hall of Fame coach and earned a cutting rap refrain from Drake this week is daunting. But so is sitting across from a decision maker from one of America’s top retailers and convincing him to keep featuring your product in his stores.

You can read that leadership advice from James Patterson and David Novak but you can’t pull out a book in a meeting with a Fortune 500 company.

“I felt like even before I wanted to sit in front of CEO Lee Scott of Walmart, I wanted to make sure we had all our ducks in a row internally with our people and our plan and what our vision was,” Tyra said. “What we were trying to execute on and do it well.

“I feel the same here. Before I got visible with large donors, with some corporate sponsors and with our fans, it was really making sure I had a grasp of what we needed to work on, get it refined and make improvements.

“We’re at that point. We’ve crossed that point now where we’re really executing and humming well in the department.”

You want the leadership snapshot of Tyra? It’s there. Not as visible as the record Jurich established. But it’s there. Jurich has a four-paragraph profile on Wikipedia and, until the last year, the reputation as one of the best athletic directors on the planet.

Tyra’s father, Charlie, also has a short Wikipedia entry as well as his jersey number hanging from the rafters at the KFC Yum! Center, confirming his status as one of Louisville’s basketball legends. Charlie Tyra, number 8, was a formidable 6-foot-8 Cardinal forward,, who also starred at Atherton High School and scored more than 3,000 points for three NBA teams.

Vince Tyra’s Wikipedia entry is like his picture in the athletic director’s suite: It does not exist.

Somebody needs to write one. They can borrow the material from his LinkedIn profile.

It outlines his impressive business career in industries as diverse as apparel, home improvement materials, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and transportation services. Don’t forget his success in private equity and his ability to connect and succeed in worlds that take Tyra to golf venues on Long Island like Shinnecock Hills.

This is a fiercely competitive guy who was a multi-sport star at St. Margaret Mary Elementary School and Trinity High School. Gene Keady (Purdue), Jim Boeheim (Syracuse), Iowa, Wake Forest and other programs discussed a basketball scholarship.

Tyra remembers the day when a future Michigan Mr. Basketball ran him into exhaustion on an outdoor court at the Blue Chip Basketball Camp in Rensselaer, Ind. That was the day that confirmed which sport was his future.

Vince Tyra would rely on his 92 mph fastball, reliably harsh curveball and frequently deceptive change up. He was a pitcher, a pitcher with a linebacker’s mentality.

Tyra threw a one-hitter as a freshman at Clemson for the University of Kentucky. He started 37 games before moving into the bullpen and ignoring a sore right arm to finish his senior season with gusto.
Reactions: Guardman

Football discussions . . . .

There have been a boatload of post recently about the upcoming football season. Even going so far as to predict the outcome of each game. Well I’m going to predict only one game and that is our game versus the puddy cayuts at CARDINAL STADIUM. We will kick their proverbial butts. Bobby Petrino isn’t going to lose twice in OUR STADIUM to those poorly coached fools, period.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

PS. Let us all remember that our stadium is CARDINAL STADIUM. It was under construction long before he (pizza egomaniac) ponnied up money for the naming rights.

ESPN and the SEC and ACC Networks

In fact, Outkick has been told that the SEC told ESPN in no uncertain terms to get the Finebaum contract done and ESPN has still been unable or unwilling to follow through. This exacerbates recent tension in the SEC-ESPN relationship that has threatened to explode into public view over ESPN’s decision to launch the ACC Network, a move undertaken despite what sources say was a promise made by former ESPN president John Skipper to former SEC commissioner Mike Slive that ESPN would never partner with another conference to create a network.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/paul-finebaum-unsigned-espn-drama-builds-sec-espn-relationship/

hopgood??...

You and I debated a couple months ago about fan expectations for this season. I don't use Twitter, but there's a premium thread discussing a poll there that Howie started. Reportedly, it sets an over/under number of 22 wins.

The comments in the premium thread indicate that many (maybe most) fans are expecting the "over" to be hit. I've previously used 20 wins and a winning ACC record as my cut point for fans to be satisfied or disappointed. And I recall you stating that I was expressing too much optimism--not in myself, but the fanbase.

Unless a handful of lightly recruited additions to the roster has made a big difference, it looks like I may in fact have been conservative in my estimation of fan optimism...

UofL’s Jordan Nwora Scores 36 in Nigeria FIBA World Cup Qualifier

UofL’s Jordan Nwora Scores 36 in Nigeria FIBA World Cup Qualifier

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - University of Louisville forward Jordan Nwora completed a successful venture as a member of the Nigeria national team in the 2018 FIBA World Cup African Qualifiers on June 29-July 1 at the Indoor Sports Hall of National Stadium in Lagos, Nigeria.

Nwora totaled 36 points, five rebounds, four assists and four steals for Nigeria in a 93-53 victory over Mali on July 1. His 36 points is the most ever scored by a Nigerian player in a major tournament, a mark previously held by Ikechukwu Diogu with 31 points on two occasions. Nwora made 12-of-20 field goals in the game, including 5-of-11 from three-point range, and 7-of-8 free throws.

In his three games in the Lagos qualifier, Nwora tied for the average scoring lead among all players in the 16-team African Qualifiers with a 21.7 average in his three games. His 8.0 rebounding average was 10th in the qualifiers, his 2.3 steals per game tied for third, and his 2.7 assists ranked 16th.

Nwora totaled 12 points, 10 rebounds, two assists and two steals as Nigeria beat Uganda 109-66 in the opening game of the Lagos event on June 29. He produced 17 points, nine rebounds and two assists in a 111-70 victory over Rwanda on June 30. Nigeria is 6-0 in the African Qualifiers, having won its three previous qualifying games this year played February 23-25 in Mali.

A 6-8 rising sophomore from Buffalo, N.Y., Nwora (pronounced WOR-uh; silent N) has dual citizenship with Nigeria. His father Alex, who is the head coach at Erie Community College, serves as the head coach of the Nigerian team.

A member of the 2018 All-ACC Academic Team, Nwora averaged 5.7 points and 2.2 rebounds as a freshman last season for the Cardinals, connecting on 43.9 percent of his three-point attempts (25-of-57). He was named the ACC Rookie of the Week for games Feb. 5-11 when he averaged 12 points, 3.3 rebounds and shot 59.1 percent from the field (7-of-11 threes) as the Cardinals won two of three games that week. UofL was 8-1 when Nwora scored in double figures last season.

This information may be found online at this link: https://uofl.me/2KnsJih
Reactions: Cardhorn

2018 ACC Bowl lineup .. Heart of Dallas Bowl added, it looks like to me.

http://theacc.com/news/2018/6/22/fo....aspx?path=football&mc_cid=07adfcc78c&mc_eid=

Heart of Dallas Bowl OR Bad Boys Gasparilla Bowl situation, next year. Not sure how long that arrangement is set though.

So competition in these bowls would be this.....

1. Orange vs SEC/BIG/ND
2. Camping World vs BIG12
3. Gator vs SEC/BIG
4. Music City vs SEC/BIG
5. Belk vs SEC
6. Sun vs PAC 12
7. Pinestripe vs BIG
8. Wrigley vs BIG
9. Military vs American
10. Independence vs SEC
11. Heart of Dallas vs BIG12

Recruiting

I hope Coach Mack has one or two more players he plans to pull out of his hat prior to next season. I still think this team could benefit from one more frontcourt player or a long combo guard that could play multiple positions, can hit the boards, score inside, etc.

Given the circumstances, I think Coach Mack has scored a 9 out of 10 this off season with recruiting. I think he’ll have the Cards in the top 5 of recruiting each year after we get the past behind us.

Last Word on Sports, looks at top UK-U of L football matchups in series.

http://lastwordoncollegefootball.co...le-kentucky-versus-louisville-football-games/

Decent slow season reading. Although through blue tinted glasses.

No Michael Bush domination ...
No Chris Redman domination and redemption from year prior ...
No Lamar domination from either his first game rescue, or last year ...

But ... it is June. And I am watching soccer, because baseball sucks ass. And there's nothing else sports-wise on.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT