ADVERTISEMENT

ACC 2018 Conference Championship Odds by CFN

Wonder what CFN was thinking!! No Louisville ODDS!!! The only team missing!! Louisville not even listed! Just an honest oversight? Or afraid to give odds on a mystery?

More likely editorial malfeasance ... or... Grissom has done something we don't know about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://collegefootballnews.com/201...hip-odds-who-will-win-best-value-top-longshot

ACC
Clemson 1/2
Miami 3/1
Florida State 7/1
Virginia Tech 8/1
Georgia Tech 30/1
Duke 40/1
NC State 40/1
Wake Forest 50/1
Boston College 60/1
North Carolina 60/1
Pitt 60/1
Syracuse 60/1
Virginia 30/1

FB RECRUITING: The Lackford Rumor Wire:

This has been a slow recruiting cycle so far but with the season approaching, the stadium and facility renovations almost complete and one last camp to go it’s time for the rubber to meet the road. I’ve heard a lot of information over the summer from in-state recruits as well as regional prospects.

I’ll start with the in-state players:

Milton Wright:

I believe it will come down to Purdue or Louisville. Alabama has other receivers higher on their board and I think they like him better at safety. I’ve heard from Ohio State sources that the Buckeyes are no longer pursing Wright, so that makes me look dumb because I once upon a time projected him to sign there. Things move fast in this game so you have to keep moving and play catch up. I don’t think Kentucky is in a good spot despite them being in his top-5 because I just don’t hear them come up in conversation. That leaves Purdue and Louisville as the two schools recruiting him at wide receiver and Alabama recruiting him at Safety that I think are left in the mix. From what I have gathered I believe Wright wants to play receiver so while I would never scratch Bama, I think Purdue and Louisville are ahead of the Tide and tied at the top for Wright at the moment.

JJ Weaver:

Weaver has taken official visits to Purdue and Cincinnati so far, an unofficial to Syracuse, and numerous trips to South Floyd and Lexington. From what I’ve heard from other prospects with him on the Purdue visit, the Boilermakers made a very strong impression and they sit in a good spot for him. I’m not saying they lead but they are definitely a serious threat to Kentucky and Louisville. He told me at the Nashville three stripes camp that he wanted to stay close to his mother. The official to Cincinnati says that he wasn’t just shooting the breeze. That being said, I believe his recruitment will come down to Louisville, Purdue, and Kentucky. It’s a wide open race right now and Weaver won’t announce until November 30th.

Jared Casey:

I don’t think Casey is very high on Louisville but his parents are big time fans. I was ready to write Louisville off all together but the fact he will camp tomorrow night makes me think they still have a puncher’s chance. Never write off a local kid, something I learned last year with Jairus Brents but at the moment I don’t see Casey being in Louisville’s class.

Shawnkell Knight-Goff:

I get conflicting reports on Knight-Goff from my sources with both Louisville and Kentucky and I have minimal contact with him directly so I have no idea where he’s going. Gun to my head, I would say UK because he grew up a fan and took a visit there soon after decommitting but that’s just a guess at this point. I’ll be out at Doss soon and hopefully I can get some info out of him.

From the in-state 2020 class:

Vito Tisdale:

The 2020 Bowling Green DB picked up an offer from Oklahoma defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks personally. From what I have heard, Tisdale was on the verge of committing earlier this year but that was squashed by his camp, as his people thought it was too early to commit. I think the Cards still sit high on his list but teams like Tennessee and Oklahoma are going to be serious threats moving forward.

Josh Minkins Jr :

I have confirmed that the Louisville legacy from Ballard will be camping at Light up the Ville in hopes of landing an offer. He looked good at the Kentucky and Cincinnati camps I saw him attend over the summer and if he can replicate his UK performance I can see him earning an offer tonight.

Markeice Warner

Warner is Minkins’ teammate at Ballard. He's a running back from Detroit who just moved to Louisville mid-season last year will camp. Warner is fast and very stout. He’s 5-foot-11, 200-pounds, and ran a sub 4.4 on the watch at a Kentucky summer camp I attended this year. He was offered that day along with Minkins. He also ran a 4.56 on the laser at the Nashville Rivals Combine so his speed is legit. He already camped at a Louisville in June so he is serious about an offer. I’m not sure where he is on Louisville’s board at the moment however, I think they want to see more film but an impressive camp performance may speed the clock.

Izayah Cummings :

The Male WR earned an offer this summer from Louisville and from what I’ve gathered that’s the one he was waiting on and I think the ‘Cards lead.

Oxtavious Oxendine:

I think the ‘Cards, Vols, Ole Miss, and Purdue have Oxendine’s attention at the moment but he has a long way to go. I was never really impressed with his sophomore film but when I saw him at camp in Nashville I thought he lost some bad weight, moved better, and showed some nastiness. I’ll be watching him closely this season because I think he’s on the verge of a breakout. If that happens watch out, he will blow up.

2020 CAL OT John Young is going to Kentucky, I’m confident on that.

Out of State:

Khris Bogle

The big news is that the 2019 four-star DE is on campus today with his teammate Jamari Williams. Bogle told me this on Wednesday but swore me to secrecy.

“Gotta come check it out with my brother (Willaims),” said Bogle.

He told me he’s not camping at Light up the Ville, and that he wouldn’t have camped at any of the other 20-plus schools who were trying to get him on campus this weekend. I’m not saying Louisville is going to sign Bogle, but the fact they were able to beat out a plethora of powerhouses to get him on campus deserves a toast. I was very impressed with Bogle at the Five Star Challenge in Atlanta, in fact he looked like the best pass rusher out there. He would be the highest rated commit in Louisville history but I think he is Miami’s to lose at the moment.

Of course Jamari Williams is still solid with Louisville and at the moment I haven’t heard anything that would suggest any of the current 2019 commits are looking around.

Melvin McBride

The three-star guard told me today that he’s in the midst of planning an official visit to Louisville, preferably for the FSU game. The staff loves him and he is one of the top targets on their board.

2019 corners Adonis Otey, Jordan Clark, and Max Williams are still the top rated players at the position on Louisville’s board. From my intel, Otey is down to Auburn and Louisville. I believe that whichever team pushes the hardest will land him. The problem is that Otey has an MCL injury that will sideline him until mid-season so that may make teams back off. Jordan Clark is from Louisiana and his father is former Steeler safety stalwart Ryan Clark. From our conversations I think Arizona State, Louisville, and Vanderbilt stand out the most. Clark said he plans to visit Louisville and Vandy. He has already taken an official to Arizona State. Watch the visits. Max Williams told the Notre Dame site that he has a top-eleven and unfortunately Louisville didn’t make the cut.

I'll have more updates as they come in and I'll add them to this thread until I create a new wire report.

BC opens indoor practice facility ... plus BC previews Louisville football game

Couple articles that may be of interest here ...

BC opens an indoor practice facility. Plenty of pix here:

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2018/7/25/17613936/new-ipf-to-be-named-fish-field-house

And BC previews the upcoming football game against the Cards.

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2018...ry-against-the-louisville-cardinals-acc-rival

Here is the first line in this article:

Since joining the ACC in 2014, the Louisville Cardinals have displayed a herculean prowess that has made most of the conference view them as a team that somehow emerged out of the shadows to be in contention for a top 25 spot in the AP Poll standings.
Reactions: Mayoman and gocds

FB RECRUITING: Light Up The Ville notes & observations

Just got back from Cardinal Stadium as Louisville hosted their 3rd annual "Light Up The Ville" this evening. There wasn't as much star power this year as there has been the past two, likely because high schools around the country start practice earlier so some weren't able to make it. Still, there was a nice turnout and a few impressive prospects there so let's begin.

- First off, the stadium expansion is coming along quite nicely as they are almost finished with one entire LED video screen. I can tell you, the experience in that stadium is going to be PHENOMENAL when they are complete. The video screens are much bigger than they even look in pictures when you are in the stadium itself.

- Louisville commits Aidan Robbins and Anthony Adkins were in the house tonight checking things out from the sidelines along with JJ Weaver and Jared Casey. Both Robbins and Weaver are impressive prospects just from a physical standpoint as they both are well built and have very large frames.

- I think the most impressive prospect of the night had to go to Michael Wright, a 3-star QB from Woodward Academy (GA). He is tall but isn't that built, at least at this point, but the kid had an absolute CANNON. He also moved well in the pocket and showed some good touch. He isn't one of those guys that would just take someones hands off for no reason on a 5 yard route. I'd expect his stock to rise greatly as he is only a junior (class of 2020).

- Speaking of quarterbacks, Lexington Catholic's Beau Allen and Christ the King's (NY) Noah Badden both looked solid.

- At wide receiver, Christian Fitzpatrick, younger brother of Dez Fitzpatrick, was one of the top guys out there. I didn't see him and his brother side by side, but Christian is probably as big as Dez, if not a little bigger and moves well much like his older brother.

- A few more guys that stood out to me: WR Chris Long, TE Jordan Dingle, and LB Jevon Banks. Long wasn't the biggest or fastest wide receiver out there but he was smooth in and out of breaks and showed good hands. Dingle, the younger brother of Justice Dingle, was very athletic and moved well for a tight end. Banks, the younger brother of Louisville TE Jay Banks, was a big linebacker that could really move. He may end up playing d-line in college but I could see him becoming a major target for Louisville before it's all said and done.

Terry Rozier Signs Shoe Deal With Puma

Boston Celtics Guard Terry Rozier has officially inked a new shoe deal with Puma. Puma has been making a big run back into the NBA this year signing 2018 rookies DeAndre Ayron, Marvin Bagley, Michael Porter Jr., and Zhaire Smith. The shoe company was also able to pull in San Antonio Spurs Forward Rudy Gay.

Last year, Rozier turned a lot of head in the playoffs when he averaged 16.5ppg, 5.3rpg, and 5.7apg while leading the Celtics to their second consecutive Eastern Conference Finals.

University of Louisville Football Important Dates and Times

As the University of Louisville football program prepares for the 2018 season, here are a number of important dates as you cover the football program this season. Please contact me with any questions that you might have over the next few weeks.

Aug. 2 – Season-opening press conference (1:30 p.m., Media room in the Howard Schnellenberger Football Complex)

Aug. 3 – 1st practice of fall camp – (3:30 p.m., Practice Fields – No decision made on photos or video for the first part of practice, but will advise at a later date, 5:30 p.m., Media Availability)

Aug. 11- Media Day (10:30 a.m., Head Bobby Petrino, 10:45 a.m., 11:45 a.m., Players, Press Box, 5th floor of Cardinal Stadium)

Aug. 17 – Kickoff Luncheon (Noon, Marriott Downtown)

Aug. 27 – Alabama Week Press Conference (1:30 p.m., Media room in the Howard Schnellenberger Football Complex)

Former Card Matz Stockman To Transfer

Former Louisville center Matz Stockman will wrap up his college career playing for former Cardinal assistant Wyking Jones at Cal. The big man made the announcement Wednesday afternoon on Twitter.

Stockman played three seasons at Louisville before transferring to Minnesota. He sat out last season per NCAA transfer rules, but announced earlier this month his plans to use his final season of collegiate eligibility elsewhere.

I wonder why Matz never actually suited up for Minnesota? Well at least the weather is nice where he is going. Good luck to the big guy.
Reactions: CardCasey

Might be shaping up to be the next year of the cardinal. If the recruiting classes for basketball and football fill out like we expect we could be looking at a fun year. Imagine a basketball roster with Perry, VJ, Nwora, Malik Williams, Nickelberry, Withers, Igheion, and David Johnson. That roster could win some serious ball games.

Football is looking to close out with yet another strong class built on defense and the Bobby Offense is in full swing over the last 2 seasons and showing no signs of slowing down. Hang on folks. If our coaches reel in the players this year, we could be in for a fun ride.

FB RECRUITING: Light up the Ville Visitor List

Light up the Ville, Louisville's main recruiting camp, is set to take place this Friday so I wanted to start a list of those that are planning on coming. I will continue to update this as more names surface. The past couple years have had some impressive prospects at the camp but from what I've heard, this year's attendance is a little more unknown due to kids starting fall practice with their high school's earlier this year.

Login to view embedded media
Tirek Murphy - https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/tirek-murphy-208292

Josh Minkins - https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/josh-minkins-jr-203796

Seth Johnson - Shelby County HS (Ky)

Peyton Blackburn - https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/peyton-blackburn-196389

11-17-18 - Louisville vs NC State - Game 11 - "The Athletic" previews the Wolf Pack

Last one of these .... NC State is a home game, coming off a Friday away game at Syracuse. And a week before hosting LPT over Thanksgiving.

I know there is general disdain among the fan base for Wake Forest, but for me, NC State is the more hate-able team. Ever since the Belk Bowl loss, when Teddy was a freshman, it felt to me that they looked down on us ... and since we joined the ACC, we have pretty much owned these guys, in multiple sports. I know that bugs them -- like the nouveau riche bug the blue blood wealthy. So they still don't look at us as their rightful "daddy". Screw NC State.

Here's the Athletic preview
:

N.C. State enters Year 6 of the Dave Doeren era with something of a fresh start. The Wolfpack broke through in 2017 by winning nine games, capping it with a dominant Sun Bowl victory. They finished in the AP top 25 for just the third time since 1994. Doeren drew overtures from other programs and got a contract extension, just one year after receiving the dreaded vote of confidence from his athletic director following a 6-6 regular season in 2016.

The good vibes only continued into the offseason, with N.C. State finishing tied for second with seven players drafted, including the entire starting defensive line, which undoubtedly made a mark on high school prospects across the country.

“I think, for starters, winning helps everything,” Doeren told The Athletic. “When you’re talking to young men that really like your coaches, really like what you’re talking about, have built relationships with you but you’re losing — not that we were not going to bowl games, we were, but we weren’t winning the way we were now, beating Florida State, beating Louisville when they were a top-15 team — those things matter to recruits, because they all wanna play in the best bowl games they can get into.”

The player development aspect of this program was never really in doubt. Jelling as a team and getting over the hump was always the biggest question, and it is fair to say that there remain a few skeptics of a team that won only nine games despite having all of the aforementioned pro talent.

Still, the Wolfpack have been close. They have pushed three-time reigning ACC champion Clemson in each of the past three seasons, scoring 41 points in 2015, missing a field-goal attempt that would have knocked out the eventual national champs in 2016 and losing by seven points in 2017. As Doeren mentioned, they broke through and beat Florida State and Louisville last year. And now they have upgraded their nonconference schedule, testing themselves outside of their rugged division.

In other words, it is a good year to have a third-year starting quarterback who is entering his sixth (sixth!) season of college eligibility. But it is also a bad year to be without that NFL-caliber line and to have to replace nine starters overall on defense.

Biggest on-field question
The defense has work to do, because you do not just replace a No. 5 overall pick like Bradley Chubb, or three other linemen who were drafted within the first four rounds. Churning out the kind of pass rushers that N.C. State had requires lots of time to develop, especially if you’re not an established blueblood. Even then, the Wolfpack finished only tied for fourth in the ACC in takeaways, fourth in sacks and third in rushing defense. (Both starting linebackers from 2017 graduated, as well, leaving the Pack with no starting experience in the front six of a 4-2-5 defense.)

“I think we did a good job of evaluating body types and length and really how big we can make those frames into because of the length of their arms, the width of their shoulders, the thickness of their wrists and ankles, the size of their hands,” Doeren said. “We look at a lot of measurables that are good predictors on how big a body can get, and then we study their work ethic. We really look at: Do they love to train? And I think that gets missed a lot in recruiting.

“Everyone want kids who are good players, but you want kids who can develop into better players than they are at 18 years old, and that doesn’t happen if you’ve got guys that don’t like working out. And so we really try to dig on our work ethic, and we know who we are. I think our staff does a good job of that.”

Senior end Darian Roseboro and senior linebacker Germaine Pratt — neither of whom was a starter last season — will be the leaders of this defense. But they will need plenty of help from underclassmen, particularly freshmen who will be getting their feet wet for the first time.

“We had a good spring. We’re replacing quite a bit, senior class-wise, that left but we’ve got a lot of work to do between now and our first game still to help those guys be ready,” Doeren said. “You can’t really predict where we’re gonna be yet. You can’t insert experience in your roster all the time. We like the depth we have and the competition, but we’re not ready to talk about really how good we’re gonna be.”

At least that is the case on defense. On offense, there is plenty to like, starting with Ryan Finley, who should be one of the ACC’s best passers. The Boise State graduate transfer followed coordinator Eli Drinkwitz to Raleigh before the 2016 season, was granted another year of eligibility and finished second in the ACC in passing yards (3,518) and completion rate last season (65.1 percent).

Now, at the risk of overstating it, the program is in Finley’s hands.

“He wants to be the No. 1 quarterback in college football, and that’s why he came back,” Doeren said. “A lot of people told him that he was gonna be sixth or seventh (quarterback drafted) if he came out, and he sees himself in a position to move up to first or second. And it’s his team. He gets to be the leader now.

“He came in as a transfer and didn’t know a single player on our roster and has worked really hard to build relationships and earn respect. So you only get one shot to lead as a senior, and I don’t think he wanted to let that go.”

Depth chart analysis
Quarterbacks: Senior Ryan Finley is the only quarterback on the roster who has taken a snap, and he continues to grow. Doeren said he put on 15 pounds last season, up to 210, and has room for about 10 more.

“That’ll help with his deep ball, which I thought was really good this spring,” Doeren said. “That was one of the things he wanted to work on, his accuracy down the field, because he’s been really good underneath.”

Behind Finley is redshirt freshman Matt McKay, a three-star local product who earned offensive scout team player of the year honors last season. McKay could be challenged for the No. 2 spot by incoming four-star recruit Devin Leary, who will enroll this summer after finishing his prep career as the nation’s No. 16 pro-style passer (per 247Sports’ Composite Rankings).
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT