ADVERTISEMENT

Who is our closing 5

LeFors4Ever

3500+
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
All year we’ve talked about how great depth is on the team, but we still don’t have people set in their roles. Before the TTech, UK, and FSU slide, Darius, Ryan, Jordan, Dwayne, and Steve were the 5 CCM trusted to handle the game.

Since then, we’ve won a lot with different guys stepping up. But we need to have that clear group of 5 or 6 guys with defined roles.

Last night was a good example. Jordan was off so he was out of the game down the stretch. DJ picked up the scoring load, but he also had to be the ball handler and play some primary defense. Malik got some touches but wasn’t the most reliable. Fresh tried to take the ball to score late when DJ fouled out. It was an example of sometimes depth not helping you in a situation when you need to make a play.

Right now, only 3 people I want to be on the court during crunch time.
1. Dwayne. He’s our most effective player and can play multiple positions.

2. Jordan. He averages 20 points. He’s our all-American. You have to just ride with him.

3. DJ. The only player on the team that can create offense off the dribble. He can just make a play.

After that?

Id probably say STEVE over Malik in the post. Malik can’t hit free throws and at times makes you scratch your head.

Then the other guard spot. Ryan pairs better with DJ because DJ isn’t a great shooter. But then that leaves you with a freshman being responsible for running the offense. Fresh/Perry just are too inconsistent, and honestly freshman growing pains may be better than what they bring. Darius just looks like he isn’t gonna be it

The closing 5 for me?
Enoch
Sutton
Nwora
Ryan
Johnson

It’s 4 of the 5 Mack liked to start the year. DJ may make some turnovers, but he’ll be surrounded by 4 good 3 point shooters and the lane will be open for him to make plays. Malik can play with them too depending on the situation.

Darius, Fresh, and Sam just aren’t reliable right now. They can play key reserve minutes, but the 6 other guys just need to be the main rotation.

All year we’ve talked about how great depth is on the team, but we still don’t have people set in their roles. Before the TTech, UK, and FSU slide, Darius, Ryan, Jordan, Dwayne, and Steve were the 5 CCM trusted to handle the game.

Since then, we’ve won a lot with different guys stepping up. But we need to have that clear group of 5 or 6 guys with defined roles.

Last night was a good example. Jordan was off so he was out of the game down the stretch. DJ picked up the scoring load, but he also had to be the ball handler and play some primary defense. Malik got some touches but wasn’t the most reliable. Fresh tried to take the ball to score late when DJ fouled out. It was an example of sometimes depth not helping you in a situation when you need to make a play.

Right now, only 3 people I want to be on the court during crunch time.
1. Dwayne. He’s our most effective player and can play multiple positions.

2. Jordan. He averages 20 points. He’s our all-American. You have to just ride with him.

3. DJ. The only player on the team that can create offense off the dribble. He can just make a play.

After that?

Id probably say STEVE over Malik in the post. Malik can’t hit free throws and at times makes you scratch your head.

Then the other guard spot. Ryan pairs better with DJ because DJ isn’t a great shooter. But then that leaves you with a freshman being responsible for running the offense. Fresh/Perry just are too inconsistent, and honestly freshman growing pains may be better than what they bring. Darius just looks like he isn’t gonna be it

The closing 5 for me?
Enoch
Sutton
Nwora
Ryan
Johnson

It’s 4 of the 5 Mack liked to start the year. DJ may make some turnovers, but he’ll be surrounded by 4 good 3 point shooters and the lane will be open for him to make plays. Malik can play with them too depending on the situation.

Darius, Fresh, and Sam just aren’t reliable right now. They can play key reserve minutes, but the 6 other guys just need to be the main rotation.

I agree except for Enoch. I would put Malik in to close the game because he's a better defender. Enoch gets beat like a drum on defense way too much for my liking plus putting Malik in gives the Cards another scoring option off the offensive rebounds. Did you see Malik go to war on the glass last night? He was one of the few bright spots IMO.

I agree except for Enoch. I would put Malik in to close the game because he's a better defender. Enoch gets beat like a drum on defense way too much for my liking plus putting Malik in gives the Cards another scoring option off the offensive rebounds. Did you see Malik go to war on the glass last night? He was one of the few bright spots IMO.
And to me, Malik/Enoch are interchangeable based on the situation. For some reason I just see Steve as a calming influence. I trust him more to finish a shot. Malik is a higher ceiling guy but a lower floor, very inconsistent. But when Malik is engaged, he’s clearly the better player.

Typically I have always had the belief you start and end with your best five, taking into consideration the score of the game, the opponent and individual matchups all factor into it. It seems like we all believe that DJ should be in that best five, however he is prone to fouling and turnovers.

Enoch is softer than a baby’s butt. Malik should play 30 minutes, let Enoch play 10. Too soft for me. I’ve lost confidence in him, he’s a transfer for a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT