ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Kelsey Appears To Be The Pick

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
BREAKING: Louisville is closing in on a deal with College of Charleston’s Pat Kelsey that would make Kelsey the Cardinals head coach, sources told
@thefieldof68

Barring a last-minute breakdown in negotiations, a deal is expected between the two sides. Kelsey is a Midwest guy who grew up in Cincinnati, has been a head coach at Winthrop and Charleston — and taken the Cougars to the NCAA tourney the past two seasons. High, high energy, built a terrific culture in Charleston, gets his players to play hard and is considered a very good X’s and O’s coach.

What does he bring with him? Any great current players at Charleston? Can he keep any of our better current players? Does he bring any highly rated recruits? Does he have relationships with any good prospects in the portal? He has a good record, but if that’s it…a bot could have made the pick.

What does he bring with him? Any great current players at Charleston? Can he keep any of our better current players? Does he bring any highly rated recruits? Does he have relationships with any good prospects in the portal? He has a good record, but if that’s it…a bot could have made the pick.
I believe a BOT did make the pick. It’s easy to see all they were concerned with was perception. Oh well it’s better than Payne I guess.

Heird had his list and went down it. He interviewed others and never got swayed off his original 4. Then a quirky situation happened with May and Schertz which led to Kelsey.

We have no idea if it will work. We also have no idea if the booster will support.

Reactions: earsky
ESPN’s Jay Bilas called Kelsey, "a great coach. He is an energetic teacher, recruiter, strategist, and he is a principled leader. Pat is demanding and encouraging and puts each player in a position to be successful. Players don’t just play for Pat Kelsey, he works tirelessly for his players."

Most Louisville fans respect Jay Bilas. Not a bad endorsement, even if he’s not who most were hoping for.

Pretty much the type of hire I expected. You don’t get disappointed when you don’t expect much.

Status quo…

On one hand, Kelsey may prove to be the very best selection for UL; I sincerely hope so, but for now it should serve as further evidence of where UL basketball has fallen. The number of luxury suites and season tickets sold will provide more insight as to our future.

BREAKING: Louisville is closing in on a deal with College of Charleston’s Pat Kelsey that would make Kelsey the Cardinals head coach, sources told
@thefieldof68

Barring a last-minute breakdown in negotiations, a deal is expected between the two sides. Kelsey is a Midwest guy who grew up in Cincinnati, has been a head coach at Winthrop and Charleston — and taken the Cougars to the NCAA tourney the past two seasons. High, high energy, built a terrific culture in Charleston, gets his players to play hard and is considered a very good X’s and O’s coach.

The process was a mess but I like hte hire and have since this process started. Was he my #1? No. But if we're going to reach on a younger guy, a dude who isn't named SHART (seriously?) is a great place to start. Plus he's won his conference seasons and tournaments the last two seasons and seems to go to the NCAAT every year and has for a while. I like it. Seems his defenses are not up to Louisville standards, maybe he can use the $3M-$4M of NIL and focus on that.

The downside is obviously not a big name. The Yum! will not be full in November and December, he is going to have to earn it.

Reactions: achilles992000
On one hand, Kelsey may prove to be the very best selection for UL; I sincerely hope so, but for now it should serve as further evidence of where UL basketball has fallen. The number of luxury suites and season tickets sold will provide more insight as to our future.

And he isn't some guy named Shart.

Hopefully he is! I'm not quite sure it's as simple as where we have fallen as maybe who's out there to be had and timing. while a top 10 school, nil has made it so any school can bring in players that once the blue bloods once got and there's more parity. simply, why would Drew leave a place he's won if not going back to an alma mater? why would samson leave when houston took a chance on him? or pearl leave when auburn took a chance on him. both of them having prior ncaa issues no matter how small. and all three will get paid better than then what we'll offer.

next in line is beard and wade who have issues, whether true or not, that simple questionable baggage is a once bitten twice shy area so have to drop them. so next top guy was may, and with UM a nike school, all things being equal, i'd choose the nike school myself. tehy've been to title games too and their football team jsut won a national title so fun place to be.

so far not a single thing has to do with us. we weren't taking cronin as he was a bust this year so middle of the road coach. not taking Buzz. Jay Wright's not walking thru that door. so whose you're top ten starting at this point?
Where is Kelsey on that list?

then with scherz, if he signed too quickly without reading the market, then again his mistake as he just lost out on a ton of $$$. The rest are all jsut coin flips. so now we're looking at who are the best coaches in the country. if this is your starting spot, then show me where our reputation has effected the hiring. who else is out there that is leaving their high paying gig? We can't hire any great assistant with no experience even though they could be the next Coach K, jsut cannot risk another test subject. So i think it's just simple timing. we had to take Mack for the same reason. no one else out there. sometimes, the cookies just get eaten that way.

also, the fact that some people are complaining because he's actually won games and a conference title, and his team started off 21-1, is ffffing hilarious!!!! HE"S A WINNING COACH! accept that maybe he knows how to coach bball, and he's certainly not had any talent comparably so get him some players and let him see what he can do before anyone bitches. btw, We're not hiring Jr!

ESPN’s Jay Bilas called Kelsey, "a great coach. He is an energetic teacher, recruiter, strategist, and he is a principled leader. Pat is demanding and encouraging and puts each player in a position to be successful. Players don’t just play for Pat Kelsey, he works tirelessly for his players."

Most Louisville fans respect Jay Bilas. Not a bad endorsement, even if he’s not who most were hoping for.
His only losing season as HC is his very first. 9 years at Winthrop produced 3 NCAA tourney teams and 2 additional 20 win teams (and two 19 win seasons). SC is not a basketball state, and Winthrop only has about 4500 students.

3 of 3 winning seasons at Charleston, with the last 2 being NCAA teams of 31 and 27 wins.

He might not make it in a Major conference, but he also might bring something new that catches fire.

The guy is a winner and will be a winner here too. He was high on my list and will be a great fit in our program. I am glad Josh took his time and didn't panic when Dusty pulled his stunt. I always see the glass as half full.

He was last on my list but my list doesn’t mean shit. I’ll always root for UofL sports but I’m highly skeptical of this hire. I hope the contract is university friendly and performance bonus based.

I wasn't real familiar with him, so I did my research. He's a winner. He wins. 75-27 at COC. 261-122 overall. Also seems to be a high energy guy. Sure, the coaching search seemed to be a hot mess. I can't say Heird was 100% to blame. There were a lot of opinions and misinformation out there. One thing I've noticed, UofL's trials and tribulations the last 5 + years certainly haven't humbled a lot of our fans. The entitlement is very real.

Y'all do what you want. I'm getting behind Kelsey in a big way. Let him work. Let's see the roster that he builds, the coaches that he hires. I will say he does need to impress during his opening PC.

I’m giving him a chance.

But there’s always those kind of things when a new coach is hired. Seems liked a generic Bilas quote

"Archie Miller is one of the finest young coaches in the game, and a great choice for Indiana Basketball. Archie is a great basketball mind, an excellent teacher, and he is a genuine, grounded person. Basketball is in Archie Miller's blood. I believe in his ability, and believe he will be a big success at Indiana." - Jay Bilas, ESPN

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
He was last on my list but my list doesn’t mean shit. I’ll always root for UofL sports but I’m highly skeptical of this hire. I hope the contract is university friendly and performance bonus based.
One thing to note, that was discussed earlier. I don’t have any way to know if it’s true but there was speculation that Kelsey backed out of his contract at the last minute because he found out UMass was a target of an investigation for paying recruits. I don’t know if it’s true but:

UMass basketball was put on probation in 2020 and had to forfeit 59 wins from a period of 2014-2017. Pat Kelsey interviewed and signed in 2017, then backed out citing personal reasons.

The timeline fits.

I’m giving him a chance.

But there’s always those kind of things when a new coach is hired. Seems liked a generic Bilas quote

"Archie Miller is one of the finest young coaches in the game, and a great choice for Indiana Basketball. Archie is a great basketball mind, an excellent teacher, and he is a genuine, grounded person. Basketball is in Archie Miller's blood. I believe in his ability, and believe he will be a big success at Indiana." - Jay Bilas, ESPN
Yes and do you think Jay was the only one who was wrong about Archie at Indiana?

Everyone thought it was a perfect fit at the time. As in life, sometimes things don’t work out.

At the time, Archie was as big a rising star as any young coach in the country.

Yes and do you think Jay was the only one who was wrong about Archie at Indiana?

Everyone thought it was a perfect fit at the time. As in life, sometimes things don’t work out.

At the time, Archie was as big a rising star as any young coach in the country.

That’s what I’m saying, you can’t take quotes from analysts because they love every coaching hire. They loved KP.

The only sure thing is proven past results at the highest level. Kelsey has won at the lower levels at a high rate, so he does have some potential. What he does in the ACC is anyone’s guess.

That’s what I’m saying, you can’t take quotes from analysts because they love every coaching hire. They loved KP.

The only sure thing is proven past results at the highest level. Kelsey has won at the lower levels at a high rate, so he does have some potential. What he does in the ACC is anyone’s guess.
Not just analysts, everyone including coaches were wrong about Miller at Indiana.

I agree that Kelsey has a lot to prove but to me he check a lot of boxes.

Hell,I don't think there's any way on God's green earth that we can predict how this goes. Build a staff that can help defensively,roll up the sleeves and get busy finding the money to get the pieces in. I haven't been to a home game in 4 years but I will be looking to get tickets for the home opener.
I know some folks aren't happy but I'm really ready to give this guy and the team a shot. Should really be an interesting April around here as the rebuild begins.

That’s what I’m saying, you can’t take quotes from analysts because they love every coaching hire. They loved KP...
It's why what Bilas says means nothing.

This process should have proven two things to anyone not looking at the world through red colored glasses...

- It was exactly the hiring process we should have expected to be conducted by a clown show.

- Money and the stature of the basketball program largely determined the final result. Neither are elite anymore.

Kelsey could succeed DESPITE his circumstances at U of L. But as with the other programs, the deck is stacked against him...

If some Cards fans are disappointed with this hire, just remember KP is no longer the coach. The cliche is actually true when Louisville fans say it can't get any worse.

Whoever got the job was going to be under the gun to get the program back to winning fast. If and when that happens, UofL will be in a better position if they want to hire a big name coach.

If Kelsey gets the Cards to postseason next season, it will feel like winning the lottery around here. If he then makes the big dance his 2nd year and does some damage, he will be beloved by fans.

His first test is the portal. He needs 6 or 7 dudes to sign up for the resurrection of the Cards.

Wait…so our old coach was KP and our new coach is PK!!???? Well I sincerely hope new IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE of the old!

I apologize for my initial negativity. The search/ hire process was a total cluster f#&$. But am easily behind CPK. I’ve heard nothing negative and the positives check a lot of boxes for me. I do know this….we are better off now than we were a month ago. A LOT better off!

GO CARDS!

I can tell you what it wouldn't have involved... Publicly going from Plan A to Plan B to Plan C to...

Makes U of L look like the dumpster fire it is...
Agree that it’s not a good look but Josh will ultimately be judged by whether Kelsey wins here. The fans will come flocking back if that happens.

That’s really all that matters.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT