ADVERTISEMENT

Is UofL sports cursed?

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
It's truly unbelievable how the fortunes of the main sports teams at UofL are currently struggling to win.

With the latest debacle with the women's team losing in the first round after having a 16 point lead at the end of the first quarter, Coach Walz must be thinking to himself not to do that again with the portal.

Of course the men were handicapped by an amateur coach following seasons of being handicapped by a immature coach.

The baseball program is barely a shadow of its former self, with pitchers who can't control the strike zone and defenders who struggle to catch or throw the ball. Unlike Walz, McDonnell hasn't used the portal that much, but in his case he should have.

Even the football team with the savior head coach Jeff Brohm, ended the season on a three game losing streak, losing to UK again, a 3rd string QB with FSU and to USC in the bowl game where they made another 3rd string QB look like Tom Brady.

As a Cards fan I feel like shit after the end of the season for each one of these teams, even with the baseball team still having games to play. Don't have much confidence they will make the tournament this season.

But like most fans, there's always hope it will turn around. Next season looks promising for football at least. There's no telling what will happen with men's basketball but the women should get back to normal with a great recruiting class. The baseball program is getting close to a moment of truth with McDonnell. I tend to believe he will get the team back to where it belongs, but I'm starting to wonder.

Is the University of Louisville cursed? With such strong and successful coaching, why has it been so hard to win the past two years?

I don't believe in cursed but it definitely sucks. Women went to the elite 8 last year and final four the year before that. This year relied on too many transfers that weren't up to snuff. Got a really good group of freshmen coming in. Get one solid transfer like Emily Engstler and we'll be all right.

As far as the men KP was an unprecedented disaster on all fronts that will hopefully never be repeated again.

Don't really have a comment on baseball other DM needs to figure out NIL and the portal.

It's cyclical. Flash back to "13" (which has been a while now). Our sports programs were at the top of the college world. Year of the Cardinal. NOW having said that, if we go on a skid in most sports say along the lines of the old Chicago Cubs, I'd say "Yeah, we are cursed."

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Oh so our programs are in decline so give us your insight as to why that is so instead of sarcasm.
Well, first, I reject your position that our programs are in decline. Baseball and WBB are down this year but that would seem to be a normal fluctuation. Football…good. Volleyball…good, and our MBB will be MUCH better now that KP is gone. Second, tell me what the administration has done to hurt sports programs? Third, you’re back to referring to pod cast videos that you would never link. Maybe they don’t really exist? Finally, yes…you and Zipp are starting to look more and more like the same person. At least, trolls in arms. Not sarcasm.

Oh so our programs are in decline so give us your insight as to why that is so instead of sarcasm.
Our football team is in decline? They just played in the ACC Championship game. That’s kind of a big part of the “program”.

The women’s basketball team was due for an off year or two after being a national power for a good stretch.

The men’s basketball team has been awful no doubt especially after making a Kragthorpe (remember him?) like hire with Kenny Payne. That should change with the next hire even if certain people will never believe that’s possible.

The baseball team has definitely not been competing at a high level since the Covid year but from 2013-2019 they were as good as any program in the country with the same coach, so forgive me if I don’t believe it’s the current AD or administrators that are keeping Dan’s recruiting down. Our facilities are still top notch. The Cal St Fullertons and UCSBs of the world are laughing, since programs like them and others compete at a high level while having high school like facilities.

How did Josh and his cohorts ruin Jeff Walz as a coach and recruiter in one or 2 short years? I’ll wait.

Hang in there, buck up, buy a puppy, read “The Power of Positive Thinking” realize KP is gone, then watch the videos of Steve Kragthorpe’s and Bobby Petrino’s last seasons here and I’ll guarantee you’ll feel better about Louisville’s current athletic state.

The football PROGRAM was in serious decline before Brohm arrived. That situation is the one exception since this regime took over. And the factors in play aren’t reproducible unless there’s a Brohm equivalent in every sport.

We’re still down close to ten thousand football season ticket holders…

I am talking about what I see in front of me right now I can’t see the future like you. How do you know things will be better next year? I am willing to give Josh a chance but he made a horrible hire with KP. He hired a coach based on race and he should have hired a coach based on qualifications.
The MBB has been steadily good for years as well as the women’s basketball program. I guess according to you fluctuations are every 10 years.
CJW had a presser a week ago saying his team was not getting enough NIL money to keep Louisville competitive with the high powered teams. Who is in charge of raising money for the athletic department. I know it used to be Jurich so I guess that means it would come down to Josh Heird.

After the disastrous hire of KP I am willing to give the next coach 3 years to build a team worthy of Louisville’s history as long as he can win more than 10 games his first something KP couldn’t do in 2 years. After KP I don’t know if we will have a team better than an intramural squad. Speaking of podcast I watched Locked on the Big 12 and they were talking about if the ACC falls apart what team should they try to get first. He said if Louisville could get their athletic program back to where it once was they should be our number one target.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
OK buck up so our women’s program is due a down year well the other power teams aren’t having a down year. Ave you ever thought that our recruiting could be off because we don’t have enough NIL money to compete. CJW pointed it out last week, Josh Heird said that the Provost and the BOT weren’t on board with making sure Louisville runs a successful athletic program.
The only thing that is looking up is the football program. I guess many like you think we don’t have to worry about it until it is too late and we find ourselves on the outside looking on realignment.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
We do have fans who genuinely believe in coincidences. Like a failing marriage, most problems are traceable in some form or fashion to money or a lack of it.

The men’s basketball program has been starved of money since Pitino left. Baseball was promised a state-of-the-art training facility. Women’s basketball has half the NIL money needed. And people and coaches running those programs who need or expect more become unhappy.

It’s exactly the situation many feared when ULAA’s fund raising operation was gutted along with much of the senior staff. “Everything is built” was the popular rebuttal. An eroding financial base takes awhile to show its effects.

Dumping Payne fixes one problem while compounding another. Athletics ain’t improving generally speaking until the money situation changes…

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I am talking about what I see in front of me right now I can’t see the future like you. How do you know things will be better next year? I am willing to give Josh a chance but he made a horrible hire with KP. He hired a coach based on race and he should have hired a coach based on qualifications.
The MBB has been steadily good for years as well as the women’s basketball program. I guess according to you fluctuations are every 10 years.
CJW had a presser a week ago saying his team was not getting enough NIL money to keep Louisville competitive with the high powered teams. Who is in charge of raising money for the athletic department. I know it used to be Jurich so I guess that means it would come down to Josh Heird.

After the disastrous hire of KP I am willing to give the next coach 3 years to build a team worthy of Louisville’s history as long as he can win more than 10 games his first something KP couldn’t do in 2 years. After KP I don’t know if we will have a team better than an intramural squad. Speaking of podcast I watched Locked on the Big 12 and they were talking about if the ACC falls apart what team should they try to get first. He said if Louisville could get their athletic program back to where it once was they should be our number one target.
1. It is incorrect to suggest that the only criteria used to hire Payne was his race.

2. The AD - nor the athletic department is responsible for - or able - to raise NIL money.

OK buck up so our women’s program is due a down year well the other power teams aren’t having a down year. Ave you ever thought that our recruiting could be off because we don’t have enough NIL money to compete. CJW pointed it out last week, Josh Heird said that the Provost and the BOT weren’t on board with making sure Louisville runs a successful athletic program.
The only thing that is looking up is the football program. I guess many like you think we don’t have to worry about it until it is too late and we find ourselves on the outside looking on realignment.
To be fair - the only real consideration when it comes to previous or upcoming realignment - is football.

Women’s BB doesn’t move the needle even a little bit.

We do have fans who genuinely believe in coincidences. Like a failing marriage, most problems are traceable in some form or fashion to money or a lack of it.

The men’s basketball program has been starved of money since Pitino left. Baseball was promised a state-of-the-art training facility. Women’s basketball has half the NIL money needed. And people and coaches running those programs who need or expect more become unhappy.

It’s exactly the situation many feared when ULAA’s fund raising operation was gutted along with much of the senior staff. “Everything is built” was the popular rebuttal. An eroding financial base takes awhile to show its effects.

Dumping Payne fixes one problem while compounding another. Athletics ain’t improving generally speaking until the money situation changes…
Simply another post that is heavy on innuendo, supposition, half truths, lies and, incorrect conclusions - based upon a tired and failed narrative.

WBB was vying for an ACC championship, until the official’s intentional call against Olivia. Jeff intimated that it affected several players to the point of where they lost focus and their competitiveness. Not an excuse, just noting that they were clearly a different team for the rest of the season.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
So when Pitino missed the NCAAT in 2006 it was Tom Jurich’s fault, not just a fluctuation or an occasional down year? Got it. Damn you Jurich!!!
By this same reasoning, any team in any sport at any school that has an occasional down year has a clown show of an Athletic Department.

And yes, KP was a bad hire. So was Kragthorpe. And, the case could be made that Petrino 2.0 wasn’t the best idea either. Again…Damn you Jurich!!

So what criteria did they use to hire KP because it wasn’t coaching experience. He had never been a Head Coach before and there was a lot of pressure from Eaves, Beard, Maybin, Ricky Jones and others to make the hire. Ricky Jones the bigot who works for the University made a lot of noise to hire a black coach and he is making a lot of noise to hire a black President for the University, so yes KP was hired because of his race.It became obvious after the first 5 games of his first season he was not qualified.

I will compare Heird and the people under him to Jurich and the people under him who raised 100’s of millions of dollars for the improvements they made while Jurich was here. While your damning Jurich you can thank him for the facilities that our athletes now play in. The best year the University had in school history was 2013 under Jurich. I hope but do not have the confidence that Heird can match that success.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
So what criteria did they use to hire KP because it wasn’t coaching experience. He had never been a Head Coach before and there was a lot of pressure from Eaves, Beard, Maybin, Ricky Jones and others to make the hire. Ricky Jones the bigot who works for the University made a lot of noise to hire a black coach and he is making a lot of noise to hire a black President for the University, so yes KP was hired because of his race.It became obvious after the first 5 games of his first season he was not qualified.

I will compare Heird and the people under him to Jurich and the people under him who raised 100’s of millions of dollars for the improvements they made while Jurich was here. While your damning Jurich you can thank him for the facilities that our athletes now play in. The best year the University had in school history was 2013 under Jurich. I hope but do not have the confidence that Heird can match that success.
It seems as though you’re replying to multiple posts. Given that I think the first part is about mine - I’ll respond to that.

Was the fact that Kenny Payne is AA a factor? Of course it was. Were the facts that he was a former player on a championship team and, an alumnus factors? Of course they were. Were the facts that he had by all accounts, a successful ten year tenure as one of the top assistants at Kentucky, followed up by one with the Knicks - factors? Of course they were. Did everyone want a feel good story that checked a lot of boxes for multiple demographics? Of course they did.

Suggesting that he was a DEI hire and nothing more is simply revisionist and incorrect.

Reactions: Louisvillian
KP wasn’t qualified to be a Head Coach he proved that in the first 5 games of his first season. Everybody heard the chatter from Ricky Jones and all the former players. They wanted a black coach and KP was it so yes he was hired because of his race. Like I posted earlier Ricky Jones is now pushing for Louisville hire a black President.
As far as his success at sUcK a lot of people say that John Robic was the biggest part of the early success for Calipari at sUcK not KP. KP might have been good in a role where he was an assistant but not the Head guy making all the decisions.
In regards to an earlier post asking if Heird’s comment about the BOT were made about this administration or the last administration . I would have to think they were about this Administration because everyone on the BOT was in place before he was the AD.

KP wasn’t qualified to be a Head Coach he proved that in the first 5 games of his first season. Everybody heard the chatter from Ricky Jones and all the former players. They wanted a black coach and KP was it so yes he was hired because of his race. Like I posted earlier Ricky Jones is now pushing for Louisville hire a black President.
As far as his success at sUcK a lot of people say that John Robic was the biggest part of the early success for Calipari at sUcK not KP. KP might have been good in a role where he was an assistant but not the Head guy making all the decisions.
In regards to an earlier post asking if Heird’s comment about the BOT were made about this administration or the last administration . I would have to think they were about this Administration because everyone on the BOT was in place before he was the AD.
You are free to believe whatever version you’d like. For me, I’ll stick to the facts.

It's truly unbelievable how the fortunes of the main sports teams at UofL are currently struggling to win.

With the latest debacle with the women's team losing in the first round after having a 16 point lead at the end of the first quarter, Coach Walz must be thinking to himself not to do that again with the portal.

Of course the men were handicapped by an amateur coach following seasons of being handicapped by a immature coach.

The baseball program is barely a shadow of its former self, with pitchers who can't control the strike zone and defenders who struggle to catch or throw the ball. Unlike Walz, McDonnell hasn't used the portal that much, but in his case he should have.

Even the football team with the savior head coach Jeff Brohm, ended the season on a three game losing streak, losing to UK again, a 3rd string QB with FSU and to USC in the bowl game where they made another 3rd string QB look like Tom Brady.

As a Cards fan I feel like shit after the end of the season for each one of these teams, even with the baseball team still having games to play. Don't have much confidence they will make the tournament this season.

But like most fans, there's always hope it will turn around. Next season looks promising for football at least. There's no telling what will happen with men's basketball but the women should get back to normal with a great recruiting class. The baseball program is getting close to a moment of truth with McDonnell. I tend to believe he will get the team back to where it belongs, but I'm starting to wonder.

Is the University of Louisville cursed? With such strong and successful coaching, why has it been so hard to win the past two years?
Nah just men’s Basketball

Reactions: UofLouisville
‘zipp’ is basking in sunshine…
“Basking in (the) sunshine” of the light of your phone in the middle of the night, so giddy in the thought that there is turmoil at UofL that you can’t sleep - excited for a new opportunity to troll.

Quite an existence you’ve carved out for yourself - reveling in the perception of misfortune.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
So you’re saying that Jerry Eaves, Butch Beard, Marquis Maybin, Ricky Jones, etc. weren’t publicly calling for a black coach to be hired? I’m sorry Ghost but that is the truth and you have to be the only one in the city that didn’t listen to talk shows or read the papers. Like I posted elsewhere now you have the city’s top bigot Ricky Jones calling for a black President to be hired.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
“Basking in (the) sunshine” of the light of your phone in the middle of the night, so giddy in the thought that there is turmoil at UofL that you can’t sleep - excited for a new opportunity to troll…
Following me again? Can’t help yourself, can you?

Keep sniffin’…

So you’re saying that Jerry Eaves, Butch Beard, Marquis Maybin, Ricky Jones, etc. weren’t publicly calling for a black coach to be hired? I’m sorry Ghost but that is the truth and you have to be the only one in the city that didn’t listen to talk shows or read the papers. Like I posted elsewhere now you have the city’s top bigot Ricky Jones calling for a black President to be hired.
The people trying to rewrite history now are the ones who don’t like that history and the results. It fits their worn out, proven wrong narratives…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT