ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Ullis

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is....who is Blubo and why does he like so many posts?
thinking-face.png
I am wondering the same thing. He's liking both sides.

Reactions: blubo
A little better? Those stats aren't even close.
Sure they are. Four points and three assists over a 40-minute game? I'd even argue that's insignificant when you consider I'm talking 40 minutes of basketball.

But I'm willing to give the little 5-star his due. He's a little better as a sophomore, and he'll never get to be a junior.

"Elite program", my a$$...

...Oh wow he throws assists because he's the only one who touches the ball. That's an inflated number (and partially due to hero ball)...
That's a relevant point and one I didn't mention with the individual comparisons of Ulis and Snider...

Of all of Ulis' stats, the one most significant IMO are his eight assists per game on a normalized basis vs. Snider's five. It's not the basis to call one guy an All American and the other, a nice player, but it's a significant difference on at least one stat.

To gauge it relative to the TEAM, however... LPT averages 0.9 more APG than U of L. So, in the context of "Till I die's" post above, the little 5-star simply gets a greater share of his teams assists. (Ulis gets HALF of LPT's assists; Snider gets a FOURTH.) But he's not really adding assists in the team concept esp. if you account for how much stronger U of L's schedule is. Or if you wanna praise Ulis, at least be consistent and talk about what lightweights the rest of your team is as far as assists.

So, maybe I should revisit my "a little better" conclusion. Slapd!cks, whatcha think?? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: L1c4tillidie
It'll be right next to the zip to human logic conversion manual. Not a best seller but, certainly instructive...
It helps when you bring a little mental capacity to the discussion. One reference may not help you as much as it would me.

...Zipp if you are not an attorney you should be. You remind me of my lawyer. He gives me this big explanation for a simple question, throws big words out and talks in circles with no real substance. I walk away from him the same as this thread, wanting my money back.

Carry on though. Your gift is irritating UK fans that I know you thoroughly enjoy.
It may APPEAR that I try to irritate at the expense of everything else. But I've discovered that most LPT posters--and a couple of the slower U of L guys--don't understand analysis. Your reading comprehension is low, math is probably something you avoid, and objective reasoning comes off as smoke and mirrors. It's also amazing how much I have to repeat myself in the same damn thread for slapd!cks like the -fly guy.

If I was a lot younger, I might question whether I can think straight and communicate. But sadly, I've been around the block a few times and recognize concrete when I see it. Sorry how this sounds, but if you come here to debate and discuss, at least make sure you're up to the task and didn't just sign up to post. You're not doing us or yourself any favors. Go back home to your LPT site, practice with others like yourself, and come back when you feel you've made some honest improvement. We'll give you another shot, or at least I will.

That's a relevant point and one I didn't mention with the individual comparisons of Ulis and Snider...

Of all of Ulis' stats, the one most significant IMO are his eight assists per game on a normalized basis vs. Snider's five. It's not the basis to call one guy an All American and the other, a nice player, but it's a significant difference on at least one stat.

To gauge it relative to the TEAM, however... LPT averages 0.9 more APG than U of L. So, in the context of "Till I die's" post above, the little 5-star simply gets a greater share of his teams assists. (Ulis gets HALF of LPT's assists; Snider gets a FOURTH.) But he's not really adding assists in the team concept esp. if you account for how much stronger U of L's schedule is. Or if you wanna praise Ulis, at least be consistent and talk about what lightweights the rest of your team is as far as assists.

So, maybe I should revisit my "a little better" conclusion. Slapd!cks, whatcha think?? ;)

I have to bust you on this one zipp.

Kenpom SOS
UK 30
U of L 51

RPI SOS
UK 30
U of L 36

I only looked at those 2, but I'd be interested in some data that demonstrates the much stronger schedule U of L played this year. Not anecdotal comments, because you took this discussion toward "analysis." You can't analyze opinions.

Reactions: augustaky1
It helps when you bring a little mental capacity to the discussion. One reference may not help you as much as it would me.

Lol - ole machine gun zipper is mowing down the competition with concentrated rapid fire responses. That, and acting like you're smarter than you are when really you're talking in circles, is what gets you to 25K+ in posts.

"Little mental capacity" is what you bring Nil, you've just convinced yourself otherwise. Well, except when you're discussing musical groups from the 1970s - that seems to be a topic that's actually in your wheelhouse.

I have to bust you on this one zipp.

Kenpom SOS
UK 30
U of L 51

RPI SOS
UK 30
U of L 36

I only looked at those 2, but I'd be interested in some data that demonstrates the much stronger schedule U of L played this year. Not anecdotal comments, because you took this discussion toward "analysis." You can't analyze opinions.
This time of year, it's about how you've done against RPI Top ___ teams. Like that metric or not, it's reportedly what the NCAA uses to seed teams. Here are the number of top RPI teams that U of L and LPT played during the regular season and conference postseason (for LPT only)...

Top 10 games: U of L 4, LPT 1
Top 20 games: U of L 8, LPT 4
Top 50 games: U of L 9, LPT 4

It's not until you get down to the RPI Top 100 does LPT start picking up a lot of teams...

Top 100 games: U of L 17, LPT 21

Because in the Top 100, LPT played 17 games between 51-100, while U of L only played 8. In fact, LPT played 4 teams that were borderline Top 100, between 91-100.

Since LPT finished at RPI #11, most of the above teams on its schedule were ranked BELOW LPT. Only ONE team--Kansas--was ranked higher. Last year when LPT was ranked at or close to #1, that's understandable--everyone is ranked lower. Had LPT played U of L's schedule this year, they would have played FOUR games against higher rated teams. Where U of L finished at #17, they played SIX games against higher rated teams.

Yeah, you can look at the other end of the spectrum and talk about U of L's 8 games against RPI 200+ teams vs. LPT's 4 games. I could also look at the NCAA tourney records last year by conference (ACC 14-4 vs. SEC 2-4, in both cases excluding the two teams), and note that each school plays more than half its games IN conference.

I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that the schedules that the two teams play are comparable. SEC play in basketball is not on anyone's radar except for LPT games, and you don't play against yourself. The SEC is a veritable mid-major conference without LPT.

That's my take.

I'll stick with the folks who do it for a living, but I appreciate your long winded opinion on the matter :D

Oh wow he throws assists because he's the only one who touches the ball. That's an inflated number (and partially due to hero ball).

Hold on a second... how is having assists being a ball hero (or hog)? What twisted reality do you live in? Assists are a measure distribution and elevating your team... you help others score through ball movement. That is basketball 101 and one of primary roles of a point guard (to handle and pass).

So he is doing his job, he is very effective at his job... and you are using that to downplay his accomplishments? Come on man!

I have avoided this thread because I personally think Ulis is a terrific player who will go on to have a successful NBA career. He plays with an attitude but honestly, he has to because of his size. Napoléon complex? Possible I guess but he sure seems to play at a very high level most all of the time.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Hold on a second... how is having assists being a ball hero (or hog)? What twisted reality do you live in? Assists are a measure distribution and elevating your team... you help others score through ball movement. That is basketball 101 and one of primary roles of a point guard (to handle and pass).

So he is doing his job, he is very effective at his job... and you are using that to downplay his accomplishments? Come on man!
Not necessarily. Look at a former sUcKs player Rajon rondo. I like the NBA and he's awful but has tons of assists. I would assume with rondo and with the Oompa Loompa they have very few hockey assists (pass to a assist) because they run around trying to get the perfect passing lane to get an assist rather than setting up a play (although in his defense it's hard to learn plays when you're coached by scamapari). Q is more like tony Parker. He makes the smart play not the one that always shows itself on a box score.

You: member since 6/23/2015
Me: member since 6/26/2001

Yep, you figgered it out. :rolleyes:

Because that was the salient part of the post - sigh. Honestly your propensity to deflect combined with your obsession with the yuts, might lend one to believe that perhaps you'd be better off on that side of the aisle. Honestly at times, you strike me as a message board version of Matt Jones.

If you simply stayed on topic and actually spoke to what had been posted by others - rather than engaging in your never ending, one man circlej*rk - your post count might be in the "normal" range. You've deluded yourself into believing that you're always the smartest person in the room and now seem determined, yet unable, to prove it.

Ulis doesn't add to the team assist-wise based on the team's overall performance. He just supplants that stat with respect to other LPT players.

I don't watch enough LPT basketball to call him a ball hog. Just going by the stats. That stat does suggest that he simply has the ball in his hands more than, say, Snider. Or that Snider has guys playing better ball around him, at least as far as sharing the ball.

Ulis doesn't add to the team assist-wise based on the team's overall performance. He just supplants that stat with respect to other LPT players.

I don't watch enough LPT basketball to call him a ball hog. Just going by the stats. That stat does suggest that he simply has the ball in his hands more than, say, Snider. Or that Snider has guys playing better ball around him, at least as far as sharing the ball.

No offense but, this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about - particularly the first paragraph. Assists don't just happen - it's not an automatic precursor to a made basket. Ulis' ability to pass the ball and create opportunities for teammates to score (and their ability to score after receiving the ball) is the reason for his assist total. Nor would his ability to create these opportunities be "supplanted" by another - less skilled player - a Briscoe for example. It's precisely why Ulis has the ball so frequently in the first place - because he's the most capable guy of creating an assist and why, when a team has a really skilled PG, its offensive output increases. Particularly in college basketball - where the players are not as skilled shooters or scorers as thy are in the NBA. That's just basic basketball knowledge 101.

You have perfected the art of sounding informed, while saying nothing - lol. Now if only you would stop typing while doing it.

...You have perfected the art of sounding informed, while saying nothing - lol. Now if only you would stop typing while doing it.
Said the guy who never takes a scientific, quantitative approach to his arguments about the guy who does.

I'll simplify it for ya then, at least as simple as I can make it... Ulis gets HALF of his team's assists, while Snider gets about a FOURTH of his team's. Yet each team has about the same number of assists.

That's an example of a zero sum game. It's not necessarily bad, but it's hard to argue that Ulis is the better player. He certainly doesn't make his team better in that regard.

I'm sorry, if you don't understand that, there's just no hope for ya.

Said the guy who never takes a scientific, quantitative approach to his arguments about the guy who does.

I'll simplify it for ya then, at least as simple as I can make it... Ulis gets HALF of his team's assists, while Snider gets about a FOURTH of his team's. Yet each team has about the same number of assists.

That's an example of a zero sum game. It's not necessarily bad, but it's hard to argue that Ulis is the better player. He certainly doesn't make his team better in that regard.

Assuming you guys were eligible to play in the tourney this year, which PG would give you a better opportunity to cut nets down - Ulis or Q? Are you arguing it's a neutral trade off? I think Q is a nice player, you'll have him for 4 years, but in a vacuum, right now, I can't imagine an unbiased (admittedly this doesn't describe me) observer of college basketball agreeing with your notion that Ulis is not any better than Q.

I think it boils down to style. Scamapari teams have always been defined by their pgs bc he forces them to hold onto the ball. CRP doesn't coach that way. It's a much more balanced style that focuses on ball movement. If Q played for that coach he'd probably have similar assist totals.

Reactions: KerryRhodes

Zipp, you can spin and distract and call names all you want but nobody, not anyone is buying your comparing Snider to Tyler Ulis. Comparing Siva to Wall is one thing but Snider to Ulis is a no brainer. Now i believe Snider will eventually be a very good ball player, but no matter what kind of analytics you use, right now its not even close.

Your UK groupies have outed you on their board. Posted pictures of you along with various articles.

Get ready for more attacks.....Lol....not that you care.

Your UK groupies have outed you on their board. Posted pictures of you along with various articles.

Get ready for more attacks.....Lol....not that you care.
If LPT fans are hatin' are ya, you're doing something right.

They think they wield so much power in numbers, and they're nothings in actuality. Tough talk, no action. Just like their athletic programs.

Zipp, you can spin and distract and call names all you want but nobody, not anyone is buying your comparing Snider to Tyler Ulis. Comparing Siva to Wall is one thing but Snider to Ulis is a no brainer. Now i believe Snider will eventually be a very good ball player, but no matter what kind of analytics you use, right now its not even close.
No spinning necessary, the numbers tell the story.

Snider is a good player, and Ulis is a very good player. That's the difference. Great players aren't on teams that lose to LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, and Vandy. In the same season.

Assuming you guys were eligible to play in the tourney this year, which PG would give you a better opportunity to cut nets down - Ulis or Q? Are you arguing it's a neutral trade off? I think Q is a nice player, you'll have him for 4 years, but in a vacuum, right now, I can't imagine an unbiased (admittedly this doesn't describe me) observer of college basketball agreeing with your notion that Ulis is not any better than Q.
Watch it! You're falling into that typical LPT trap of not reading.

The post above this one reiterates my conclusion. Snider is good, and Ulis is very good. I said previously that the latter guy was a little better. All of that on a normalized game basis.

That's as much praise as Ulis deserves, and as much as you'll hear from me. If he was great and played that way consistently, LPT wouldn't have the embarrassing losses it sustained this year.

-fly, you've got nothing as evidence, and you wouldn't know how to present it anyway. You're a typical, clueless slapd!ck.

-fly, you've got nothing as evidence, and you wouldn't know how to present it anyway. You're a typical, clueless slapd!ck.

I'll ask you again. Yes or no.......is Snyder a better basketball player than Ulis? No wall of text and no pages of numbers. Yes or no.

but it's hard to argue that Ulis is the better player

My comprehension skills must be betraying me in my old age. To me, that certainly looks like a guy saying that one player is not a better player than the other.

No spinning necessary, the numbers tell the story.

Snider is a good player, and Ulis is a very good player. That's the difference. Great players aren't on teams that lose to LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, and Vandy. In the same season.

1st, Ben Simmons says hello. 2nd, talent scouts aren't hanging around message boards calling people grade school names if you catch my drift. You need to just stop, you could have at least tried comparing Lee, and again i like Sniders game, but it's not fair to him that you are comparing him to Ulis. It makes it seem like everyone is picking on Snider because it is ridiculous comparing him at this point in his career.

1st, Ben Simmons says hello. 2nd, talent scouts aren't hanging around message boards calling people grade school names if you catch my drift. You need to just stop, you could have at least tried comparing Lee, and again i like Sniders game, but it's not fair to him that you are comparing him to Ulis. It makes it seem like everyone is picking on Snider because it is ridiculous comparing him at this point in his career.
WTH are you talking about "calling people grade school names", slapd!ck? WTH does that have to do with the topic?

I like to remind whiners in that regard that thin skin has no place on an internet message board. If you're really trying to improve the world, start with the slapd!cks on your own message board before bringing that sad crap over here.

And Ben's coach, Johnny Jones--the worst coach in Div. 1 basketball--says "hello" as well.

Lol - you think you're Bill James.

A few points.

1. A scientific, quantitative approach is not needed in 99.99% of message board threads. What you purport to be "scientific" is typically you cloaking your opinion in cherry picked data. That's not science - that's hubris - and brother what you lack in the former, you more than make up for in the latter.

2. Where in any of my posts did I compare Ulis to Snider? Where did I respond directly to your posts regarding a comparison of those two players? You're very fond of taking people to task regarding reading comprehension - perhaps you should hold yourself to the same standard.

3. Basketball is a team sport and as much as they are ascribed to one individual, assists are more of a team stat given that a player has to make the basket for an assist to be generated. As such, your conclusion that Ulis' assist total being 50% of the team's total is equal to Snider's 25% of UofL's total, isn't worth the toilet paper it was written on because there are a substantial amount of other variables that go into that - not the least being the relative skill of the other players, as anyone who has ever thrown a perfect pass only to see a blown layup result could tell you.

4. Total team assists or put another way, a lack of assists by other players - can't possibly reflect negatively on Ulis, particularly with your contrived percentage of total assist nonsense. Would your conclusion be the same if the assist gap between Ulis and Q was 75% to 25% but the team total assists still relatively equal?

Zipper - Its not that some people fail to understand you, it's that they fail to see through you. That said, its clear to me that you do have something in common with Bill James - he never played the game either.

Lol - you think you're Bill James...That said, its clear to me that you do have something in common with Bill James - he never played the game either.
The rest of the world doesn't have a Bill James obsession, so you'll have to clue us in. And tell me what sport to google your stats so that I can learn about the star player you were.
...A scientific, quantitative approach is not needed in 99.99% of message board threads. What you purport to be "scientific" is typically you cloaking your opinion in cherry picked data...
That may be true of the threads in which you're able to participate. Excuse me if I don't want to dummy the analysis down to your level.
...Where in any of my posts did I compare Ulis to Snider? Where did I respond directly to your posts regarding a comparison of those two players?...
Nowhere, except for trying to rebut a post I made on that very topic. Can't believe I got that mixed up. :rolleyes:
...Basketball is a team sport and as much as they are ascribed to one individual, assists are more of a team stat given that a player has to make the basket for an assist to be generated. As such, your conclusion that Ulis' assist total being 50% of the team's total is equal to Snider's 25% of UofL's total, isn't worth the toilet paper it was written on because there are a substantial amount of other variables that go into that - not the least being the relative skill of the other players, as anyone who has ever thrown a perfect pass only to see a blown layup result could tell you...
Blah blah blah... The only other viable "greatness" theory for Ulis that jives with the team stats is that the LPT players around him are subpar. And I'm not sure how that could be when there are FIVE 5-stars besides him. Maybe a slapd!ck needs to fill in the gaps.
...Zipper - Its not that some people fail to understand you, it's that they fail to see through you...
Always love it when a slappy plays shrink in addition to his other handicaps.

The rest of the world doesn't have a Bill James obsession, so you'll have to clue us in. And tell me what sport to google your stats so that I can learn about the star player you were.

That may be true of the threads in which you're able to participate. Excuse me if I don't want to dummy the analysis down to your level.

Nowhere, except for trying to rebut a post I made on that very topic. Can't believe I got that mixed up. :rolleyes:

Blah blah blah... The only other viable "greatness" theory for Ulis that jives with the team stats is that the LPT players around him are subpar. And I'm not sure how that could be when there are FIVE 5-stars besides him. Maybe a slapd!ck needs to fill in the gaps.

Always love it when a slappy plays shrink in addition to his other handicaps.

While you're googling my stats, you can google James as well - just type in sabermetrics.

Your "analysis" doesn't have to be dumbed down, it's already there. It's so funny that you think you are so much smarter than everyone that you think your BS - if disguised in your typical word salad - will fool them. Honestly it's not your intelligence that wins you any discussion - it's your stamina. Most people don't have the time or inclination to reach 25K posts - you and your constant barrage of drivel simply outlast them.

Please quote (I mean you quote everything else) where I DIRECTLY rebutted your assertion regarding Ulis & Snider.

Never said Ulis was "great" - I simply said that your scientific quantitative (lol) conclusion was wrong because you don't understand enough about the game to put the correct variables in the equation. But even that is giving you the benefit of the doubt with regard to intellectual honesty, which is probably undeserved.

I'm not playing shrink at all but, I'm guessing you could keep an entire 5 star team of them busy on your case. :rolleyes:

My comprehension skills must be betraying me in my old age. To me, that certainly looks like a guy saying that one player is not a better player than the other.
No, maybe you were late to the party. I already said a couple times before that post that Ulis had a little better stats than Snider. Of course, LPT fans said I wasn't looking at it properly. So, I looked at the entire team's performance, which shows almost no statistical advantage that can be traced to Ulis. But that's kind of a blunt instrument--why look at the team's numbers when you can look at the player?

In truth, LPT fans simply don't like the numbers. I guess I'm supposed to use something like the "eye test" or opinion polls. That's not my bag for a number of reasons. Ulis has a little better stats than Snider. The first guy is 5-star; the latter is 4-star. Only an LPT fan would find problem in that.

While you're googling my stats...you don't understand enough about the game to put the correct variables in the equation...
Again, let's see some sort of testament to your excellence at ANY sport or endeavor--it doesn't have to be basketball--so the that rest of us common folk can better understand how you have to EXPERIENCE greatness before you can analyze it.

Any link, even a slappy one, will suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT