ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Ullis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how big a "mistake" that was. Gotta remember, that's five assists per game against a pretty awful schedule. More interesting how he would have performed against, for example, the ACC.

"Elite program", my a$$...
As I recall, Ulis had nice games against UofL and Duke this season. Both were wins for Ulis' team against ACC teams. Ulis is 5 and 0 against ACC teams.

Last edited:
The difference in talent between Ulis and his backup--if he has one--is much greater than the difference between Snider and his backup or the guy playing ahead of him. That's why Ulis got much more PT. Otherwise, he would have been "platooned" like last year. Maybe you don't remember back that far.

Lee got more minutes because he was much better than his backup, and he evidently had the necessary stamina. (Another potential issue with Snider.) It's also true that Adel was injured part of the year, and his natural position is the three, like Lee.

Sidebar: In addition to following me around, curious how you're often defending LPT interests. Just sayin'.

So you are saying Snider is as good as Ulis if he played the same minutes?

I just want you to truly clarify your position.

Stats don't lie, but they also don't paint the whole picture either... as shown using Hawkins stats. There is a difference between data and information. Playing time, box score, performance, value over replacement, team impact, etc, come into play when gauging the value of a player.

And by any measure (except apparently yours) Ulis one of the best at his position this year.
I already acknowledged that the analysis is questionable for an extreme situation. Hawkins averages 9 minutes per game, hardly a good comparison to Snider or Ulis as far as PT. Comprendez??

Last edited:
Reactions: blubo
At least I don't follow little kids around and take their picture... As far as facts, I believe and use them, I just don't distort them to make others think I am right all the time...
You're a little, stalking know-nothing plaguing the rest of us. And you're only good at GOOGLING facts. Find a new home among the slapd!cks you have something in common with.

Last edited:
So you are saying Snider is as good as Ulis if he played the same minutes? I just want you to truly clarify your position.
I think my "position" was pretty clear in my OP on the subject...
Since you guys know my affinity for stats, I looked at Ulis's and Quentin Snider's numbers normalized for a 40-minute game. Ulis is a little better.

Ulis averages about four more points per game (Ulis 18.0 v. Snider 13.5), three more assists (8.0 v. 5.0), a little higher assists-to-TOs (3.9 v. 2.7), and about the same number of rebounds (3.6 v. 3.3), steals (1.5 v. 1.2), and TOs (2.1 v. 1.9).

Ulis was a Rivals 5-star kid, and Snider was 4-star. He should be playing a little better. Am I slurping blue kool aid for one and not the other? You know the answer. I also know I've got Snider for two more years, and that's a big deal when you're L1C4...
Four more points, three more assists, and a little better A/T ratio for a normalized game. About what I would expect for a 5-star/4-star comparison. And I get to keep my 4-star for two more years. I like that trade-off.

Watching zipp get under people's skin is one of my guilty pleasures. And you guys make it so easy for him. At least pose a bit of a challenge instead of grooving him 75mph fastballs.
I enjoy following Zipp for another reason entirely. Every argument eventually boils down to two things: (1) explaining away Louisville's record against UK based on the assumption that UK players (not fans, but players) somehow care more about playing Louisville than the Louisville players care about playing UK; (2) Louisville may not be as successful as UK, but that is OK because UK has still underachieved. These arguments take different forms, but it is always one or the other -- most often 2. As a fan, you always feel good when your rival is forced to resort to saying over and over "oh yeah, well your team should have won even more than it has." I actually agree with that point, but it is still satisfying to hear because it means you are doing something right.

I enjoy following Zipp for another reason entirely. Every argument eventually boils down to two things: (1) explaining away Louisville's record against UK based on the assumption that UK players (not fans, but players) somehow care more about playing Louisville than the Louisville players care about playing UK; (2) Louisville may not be as successful as UK, but that is OK because UK has still underachieved. These arguments take different forms, but it is always one or the other -- most often 2. As a fan, you always feel good when your rival is forced to resort to saying over and over "oh yeah, well your team should have won even more than it has." I actually agree with that point, but it is still satisfying to hear because it means you are doing something right.
I think if you want to check the case history, you'll find that it's LPT fans who lead the discussion into those directions. Like this thread. It's the slapd!cks who wanna start talking about LPT vs U of L or Ulis vs the ACC. If you wanna debate one player, you have to make some sort of comparison. Another player, his competition, whatever. It's LPT fans who usually digress into the areas for which your crediting/blaming me.

And I usually just roll with the punches, sadly, even when it gets a little juvenile. I could shout "that's off topic" when things veer off course, and that sometimes happens. But I enjoy the simple debate element, it doesn't really matter what the subject is. As the more insightful slapd!cks know, I often debate U of L fans too with just as much effort.

Simple recreation.

The guy's a moron. It's probably hard for him to google how to use English.

Four more points, three more assists, and a little better A/T ratio for a normalized game. About what I would expect for a 5-star/4-star comparison. And I get to keep my 4-star for two more years. I like that trade-off.

Why does it have to be a trade off? Wouldn't Louisville just go out and get another 4 star point guard?

You are penalizing Ulis for being a "two and done". Sorry that he turned out so good that he can now get drafted in the first round. He reached his Max potential, isn't that what we all want for our players?

Zipp if you are not an attorney you should be. You remind me of my lawyer. He gives me this big explanation for a simple question, throws big words out and talks in circles with no real substance. I walk away from him the same as this thread, wanting my money back.

Carry on though. Your gift is irritating UK fans that I know you thoroughly enjoy.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and blubo
The question is....who is Blubo and why does he like so many posts?
thinking-face.png

The guy's a moron. It's probably hard for him to google how to use English.

It seems that Google should be your friend. You might learn something. Self denied control - when a person (male or female) feels that they should not have control over their own lives. I know that's a little over your head though.

Reactions: crawfords corner
I don't understand what the argument here is. Of course little Luis had better stats. His team is worse, he plays a lot of mins, and he plays on a team that allows for hero ball. People just like him because of his size. Remember Kenny George? He wasn't anything special either but everyone knew his name because of his height. Would little ulis start here? No way. He always has a scowl on his face too. Doesn't seem to represent the character required of a Louisville man. Also referencing awards and calling them objective is a sure sign of your bias. If the past 9 months haven't shown you what the NCAA/media thinks of us then I don't know what to say to you.

Zipp writes:

"It's LPT fans who usually digress into the areas for which your crediting/blaming me."

*You're* is what you meant to say.

So do I, I just get another 5* who's better and now we're both happy.
Ain't this a great country:rolleyes:

I don't understand what the argument here is. Of course little Luis had better stats. His team is worse, he plays a lot of mins, and he plays on a team that allows for hero ball. People just like him because of his size. Remember Kenny George? He wasn't anything special either but everyone knew his name because of his height. Would little ulis start here? No way. He always has a scowl on his face too. Doesn't seem to represent the character required of a Louisville man. Also referencing awards and calling them objective is a sure sign of your bias. If the past 9 months haven't shown you what the NCAA/media thinks of us then I don't know what to say to you.
Well done. Maybe tried a little too hard. But still, I'll give you 8.5/10.

One guy gets a lot more playing time than the other one. Stats don't lie. It's really a non comparison.

Stats absolutely lie! This is one of those times. Are you actually saying that Snyder is as good or better than ulis? Have you ever actually played basketball in your life? Never mind that, have you ever watched a basketball game with your eyeballs or do you just wait to read the box score? Good grief.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Well done. Maybe tried a little too hard. But still, I'll give you 8.5/10.
Great point. Oh wait you said nothing. Disprove one of my three claims. If we were in the tourney we'd be a higher seed=better team. He plays a lot of minutes. Impossible to disprove that. sUcKs plays hero ball. Your coach prides himself on selfish play. Pretty cut and dry.

No zipp your position is not clear. At all. This is a yes or no question.........is Snyder better than ulis?. No stats, no hypatheticals, just yes or no. Easy peasy

Reactions: oldfanofuk
Great point. Oh wait you said nothing. Disprove one of my three claims. If we were in the tourney we'd be a higher seed=better team. He plays a lot of minutes. Impossible to disprove that. sUcKs plays hero ball. Your coach prides himself on selfish play. Pretty cut and dry.
OK, I'll have some fun with you:

(1) Kentucky would be seeded higher on the S-curve than Louisville. Kentucky is ahead in the RPI (11 vs. 17), including a higher SOS (25 vs. 36). Kentucky is ahead in the AP poll (10 vs. 16). Kentucky is ahead in Kenpom (8 vs. 11). Kentucky beat Louisville, yet again.

(2) Per 40 minutes, Ulis averages 18.7 points, 7.7 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 2 turnovers, and shoots 43% from the field (48% on 2s and 34% on 3s) and 85% from the line. Per 40 minutes, Snider averages 13.5 points, 5.1 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 2 turnovers, and shoots 40% from the field (40% on 2s and 40% on 3s) and 75% from the line. Thus, Ulis is better in every respect (and in many respects way better), except three-point percentage.

(3) This is pure opinion that can't be debated objectively. Nevertheless, I feel safe saying that Cal doesn't "pride himself on selfish play."

Stats absolutely lie! This is one of those times. Are you actually saying that Snyder is as good or better than ulis?...
Why is it that the average slapd!ck can't read worth a damn? I NEVER SAID SNIDER WAS BETTER THAN ULIS. In fact, I said just the opposite. o_O

Ulis' stats are a little better on a 40-minute basis than Snider's. Does anyone need that translated? Any slapd!cks or maybe nccardfan?? English and reading comprehension are your friends.

One kid is a 5-star, and the other kid is rated a little lower at 4 stars. They're in the same class, and they're playing at about their respective level of ability. The OP was slurping Ulis like he was some sort of miracle player. No, he's performing about as expected compared to, say, Snider.

Anyone still having trouble understanding that??

Last edited:
So do I, I just get another 5* who's better and now we're both happy...
Sure you do, that's the basis for your OAD system. The LAST thing you want is Ulis coming back. Future blue chippers see him LEAVING LPT as something they aspire to.

And you get another 5-star in his place. Will he be "better"? Maybe he turns out be Towns or maybe he turns out to be Poythress. Or more likely, somewhere in between. You find out when he gets to campus. In the meantime, U of L has Snider back for two more years.

Those are the two systems for better or for worse. By using these two guys as examples, I was simply trying to point that out--not to put down Ulis, but to restore perspective. And I like that.

Reactions: earsky
Sigh...it's like a slow train wreck that I can't stop watching.
Help me... Is there an English-to-slapd!ck dictionary that I can buy? If not, you'll make serious money writing one.

:)

Why is it that the average slapd!ck can't read worth a damn? I NEVER SAID SNIDER WAS BETTER THAN ULIS. In fact, I said just the opposite. o_O

Ulis' stats are a little better on a 40-minute basis than Snider's. Does anyone need that translated? Any slapd!cks or maybe nccardfan?? English and reading comprehension are your friends.

One kid is a 5-star, and the other kid is rated a little lower at 4 stars. They're in the same class, and they're playing at about their respective level of ability. The OP was slurping Ulis like he was some sort of miracle player. No, he's performing about as expected compared to, say, Snider.

Come on, Zipp. Ulis may not be a transcendent talent, but most consider him the best PG in the country and the best pure PG to ever play at UK (which is saying a lot). He is 5' 8". To say he is a 5-star talent and is performing at what would be expected is silly. Again, I am not saying he is other-worldly, but he is outperforming everyone's expectations, and in most cases he is doing so by a significant margin.

Help me... Is there an English-to-slapd!ck dictionary that I can buy? If not, you'll make serious money writing one.

:)

It'll be right next to the zip to human logic conversion manual. Not a best seller but, certainly instructive.

:rolleyes:

OK, I'll have some fun with you:

(1) Kentucky would be seeded higher on the S-curve than Louisville. Kentucky is ahead in the RPI (11 vs. 17), including a higher SOS (25 vs. 36). Kentucky is ahead in the AP poll (10 vs. 16). Kentucky is ahead in Kenpom (8 vs. 11). Kentucky beat Louisville, yet again.

(2) Per 40 minutes, Ulis averages 18.7 points, 7.7 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 2 turnovers, and shoots 43% from the field (48% on 2s and 34% on 3s) and 85% from the line. Per 40 minutes, Snider averages 13.5 points, 5.1 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 2 turnovers, and shoots 40% from the field (40% on 2s and 40% on 3s) and 75% from the line. Thus, Ulis is better in every respect (and in many respects way better), except three-point percentage.

(3) This is pure opinion that can't be debated objectively. Nevertheless, I feel safe saying that Cal doesn't "pride himself on selfish play."
1. We didn't get the boost from playing in a conference tournament. Go back 1 week and you'll see the truth.
2. Oh wow he throws assists because he's the only one who touches the ball. That's an inflated number (and partially due to hero ball). Snider is a better defender pure and simple. My comment that ulis wouldn't start is valid because of the roster. Who would be moved? We had 3 tremendous perimeter players this past season. This isn't a crap on your guy opinion (although it is with regard to the media coverage). It is simply an acknowledgment of how good Q is.

Reactions: zipp
1. We didn't get the boost from playing in a conference tournament. Go back 1 week and you'll see the truth.
2. Oh wow he throws assists because he's the only one who touches the ball. That's an inflated number (and partially due to hero ball). Snider is a better defender pure and simple. My comment that ulis wouldn't start is valid because of the roster. Who would be moved? We had 3 tremendous perimeter players this past season. This isn't a crap on your guy opinion (although it is with regard to the media coverage). It is simply an acknowledgment of how good Q is.
You think Snider is a "better defender pure and simple," even though Ulis was voted SEC defensive player of the year. And you think Ulis, a first-team all-american by most (and second team by all), wouldn't start on this Louisville team? Yikes.

You think Snider is a "better defender pure and simple," even though Ulis was voted SEC defensive player of the year. And you think Ulis, a first-team all-american by most (and second team by all), wouldn't start on this Louisville team? Yikes.
1. Don't use the media to backup your opinions. Just because they fawn over scamapari doesn't mean it's accurate. How about he actually goes and wins in the tournament. Undeniably the best team in the country every October and can't complete the job.
2. Here's the stat for little ulis on defense. HE'S 5'8". Now for an Oompa Loompa he's a good defender but Q is an actual elite defender not just "good for his size".
3. Go back to your own board. You are just trying to bait card fans and have tried to insult myself, other posters, and our program. I'll stay above the fray and stop encouraging you. Good night.

Dude you are all over the place. How many times can you contradict yourself in one post? People are not as stupid as you would like to believe they are. We all know your game.

Since you guys know my affinity for stats, I looked at Ulis's and Quentin Snider's numbers normalized for a 40-minute game. Ulis is a little better.

Ulis averages about four more points per game (Ulis 18.0 v. Snider 13.5), three more assists (8.0 v. 5.0), a little higher assists-to-TOs (3.9 v. 2.7), and about the same number of rebounds (3.6 v. 3.3), steals (1.5 v. 1.2), and TOs (2.1 v. 1.9).

Ulis was a Rivals 5-star kid, and Snider was 4-star. He should be playing a little better. Am I slurping blue kool aid for one and not the other? You know the answer. I also know I've got Snider for two more years, and that's a big deal when you're L1C4.

A little better? Those stats aren't even close.

5' 9" and yes, he will be chosen in the first round.
Lol - if he's 5'9" - you'll be chosen in the first round too. I guess you've never seen the kid in person. Makes sense though - most yut message board posters never went to uk much less go to any games.

That is a fallacy in itself. If CRP thought snider could play and be effective for 40 minutes he would have. He came close to letting Lee do that. Chances are the more minutes snider would have gotten his effectiveness would decline as I assume that's why he takes players out when they do, not just because he needs to give other players minutes.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT