ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Ullis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being able to read a stat sheet doesn't make you knowledgeable of basketball. Snider isn't as good as ulis and every fan in the country knows it. You know it as well. One of the two players will finish in the top five in the national player of the year race and be a first team all American. It's not snider (who is a fine player btw). This reminds me of that Siva>Wall thread from the other board. My goodness.

Actually Siva was a more accomplished college player than Wall. Not close really.

Ullis's entire upper torso is tattooed. We heard for yrs that our players were thugs for their tats. What say you Yut fans: Ullis a thug?
Are you kidding? There never has been and never will be a yut thug. Ullis could play with his shorts halfway down with a bandana hanging out of them - provided it was blue - and he would be an "role model" for the entirety of the holler.

Better question - has there ever been a player with worse tattoos than Willis? Those are some straight up Bullitt county jail tattoos - lol.

Follow along dingleberry, he was talking about how your fanbase called our players thugs for having them, now that your team sports them it's ok with you guys.

I don't think that is a fan base thing as much as it was a societal thing. Tattoos used to be associated with gangs, drugs, bikers, and prison. Not saying that was correct, but it was the association for a long time. Now tattoos are very much mainstream. Whether you are talking about basketball or corporate America.

Reactions: pikespeak1
As far as Ulis, if he is limited in minutes for any reason, Kentucky will not beat anyone. Ulis is a smart player and never gets into foul trouble, but it could happen.

I don't think that is a fan base thing as much as it was a societal thing. Tattoos used to be associated with gangs, drugs, bikers, and prison. Not saying that was correct, but it was the association for a long time. Now tattoos are very much mainstream. Whether you are talking about basketball or corporate America.
It was a Rupp rafter thing, I don't post their but have occasionally read that board for several years. It is hilarious how they have an 18,000 reply thread on us right now....obsession at its best.

I remember reading a ton of comments from Uk fans about how UofL players were "thugs" for having tattoos and line beards as recently as when Siva was here. So that was most definitely a thing among Uk fans. But when it was pointed out that some of the Uk players had tattoos or line beards not a word was said.

Since you guys know my affinity for stats, I looked at Ulis's and Quentin Snider's numbers normalized for a 40-minute game. Ulis is a little better.

Ulis averages about four more points per game (Ulis 18.0 v. Snider 13.5), three more assists (8.0 v. 5.0), a little higher assists-to-TOs (3.9 v. 2.7), and about the same number of rebounds (3.6 v. 3.3), steals (1.5 v. 1.2), and TOs (2.1 v. 1.9).

Ulis was a Rivals 5-star kid, and Snider was 4-star. He should be playing a little better. Am I slurping blue kool aid for one and not the other? You know the answer. I also know I've got Snider for two more years, and that's a big deal when you're L1C4.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Yes, but if you take the stats out of context, what's the point? The fact that Ullis averages around 10 minutes more per game than Snyder highlights his importance and dominance in that role. This is NOT to take away anything from Snyder by any means, but there is no question of Ulis's ability to control games and his importance. He has earned his accolades.

Using your same "normalized for 40 minutes" standard... Hawkins comes out to 10.2 Points, 2.9 rebounds, and 2.1 Assists... I think we can all agree that Snyder is MUCH better than Hawkins... but by your measure, not statistically.

Reactions: WildcatUnderground
It was a Rupp rafter thing, I don't post their but have occasionally read that board for several years. It is hilarious how they have an 18,000 reply thread on us right now....obsession at its best.

Ah, I don't read over there, so I was not aware of the context for which you were speaking. I'm sure there are plenty of people with double standards, sports fans not excluded.

After seeing the video of Ulis kicking the A&M player in the back of the head, I take back my good words about him. I'm on my phone and can't do a link, could someone post that for me? Thanks

Told you that underneath that lovable little man persona is a punk. Or maybe even a "thug."

Not sure how big a "mistake" that was. Gotta remember, that's five assists per game against a pretty awful schedule. More interesting how he would have performed against, for example, the ACC.

A quick look at kenpom and rpi show that UK had a better sos than U of L. If Uk's schedule was pretty awful, what does that make U of L's schedule.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I know it is a politically incorrect thing to say what with the slurping by EVERYONE but does anyone besides me actually despise this kid?

I have no opinion. I don't watch uk basketball. I know the name but I don't follow uk and avoid their news coverage. I really don't care about him. You are apparently one of those UofL fans who obsesses over them and must start constant uk threads.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
I have no opinion. I don't watch uk basketball. I know the name but I don't follow uk and avoid their news coverage. I really don't care about him. You are apparently one of those UofL fans who obsesses over them and must start constant uk threads.

And you seem to obsess about letting everybody know that you don't watch Kentucky. And oh yeah FALSE on you've only heard Ulis's name.

Being able to read a stat sheet doesn't make you knowledgeable of basketball. Snider isn't as good as ulis and every fan in the country knows it. You know it as well...
Stats don't register with slapd!cks 'cuz they never tell the story you wanna tell. Hate that for ya.

And I never said Snider was better than or even as good as Ulis. The latter gets a lot more pub because his team is shorthanded and he plays almost 40 minutes a game. Snider's an improving player on a more balanced team, and he'll be here four years. I like those things a lot.

Irony is ulis scoring 30 as this thread came together. Great player
And he better keep it up. One of two true scorers on a dysfunctional team, and he gets 40 minutes a game to do it.

Yes, but if you take the stats out of context, what's the point? The fact that Ullis averages around 10 minutes more per game than Snyder highlights his importance and dominance in that role. This is NOT to take away anything from Snyder by any means, but there is no question of Ulis's ability to control games and his importance. He has earned his accolades.

Using your same "normalized for 40 minutes" standard... Hawkins comes out to 10.2 Points, 2.9 rebounds, and 2.1 Assists... I think we can all agree that Snyder is MUCH better than Hawkins... but by your measure, not statistically.
Snider is on a team that plays more kids than LPT. The top five players on LPT's team by minutes logged play 75% of the minutes available. On U of L's team, that stat is 66%. Clearly LPT plays its best players more and/or simply has less quality depth. Regardless, you have to account for that bias when comparing the stats of individual kids. Ulis gets more opportunity to post more/better stats.

The only real downside is comparing kids at the other extreme. I don't know about Hawkins, but the stats of a kid who doesn't get many minutes can get overstated when you triple or quadruple them. Snider gets plenty of minutes to avoid that issue. Nothing wrong with normalizing stats otherwise.

I think he is like 5-0 against the ACC.
We're talking about his individual play unless you're telling us he played 1-on-5.

As a team, LPT SHOULD have a good record against everyone with the talent that's wasted in that program.

A quick look at kenpom and rpi show that UK had a better sos than U of L. If Uk's schedule was pretty awful, what does that make U of L's schedule.
Slapd!cks often struggle with this issue, but I don't think is a discussion about U of L.

All I know is that LPT played four teams during the regular season in the RPI Top 50, which is reportedly a standard that the NCAA uses. That's not likely to be accidental. You almost have to TRY NOT to schedule good teams for that to happen.

Not to mention, your AD gets plenty of experience at that managing your nonconference football schedule.

Stats don't register with slapd!cks 'cuz they never tell the story you wanna tell. Hate that for ya.

And I never said Snider was better than or even as good as Ulis. The latter gets a lot more pub because his team is shorthanded and he plays almost 40 minutes a game. Snider's an improving player on a more balanced team, and he'll be here four years. I like those things a lot.

Why did you even bring up Snyder to begin with ? It seems that you go stat hunting anytime you need to tell a story. I don't need stats to tell you that Tyler ulis is better than Snyder and you don't either. I can look at what happens on the floor and recognize talent. I think Louisvilles big man is better than any of UKs big men. see, that wasn't that hard

Reactions: awf
And he better keep it up. One of two true scorers on a dysfunctional team, and he gets 40 minutes a game to do it.

Dang right he gets 40 minutes. He's too valuable to take out. Plus he's never in foul trouble and his stamina is not an issue. Is this supposed to be a knock on him?

Reactions: kyjeff1
We're talking about his individual play unless you're telling us he played 1-on-5.

As a team, LPT SHOULD have a good record against everyone with the talent that's wasted in that program.

You were pondering how ulis would do against the ACC and he just told you. 5-0.

Can't even believe 5-star kids wanna play against that level of competition.

NBA. Calipari. Kentucky. 4 Final Fours in the past 5 seasons. Kentucky is the cool place to go.

I'll admit, it still baffles me from time to time how UK can struggle against SEC teams, when those SEC teams often times struggle against no-name teams in the nonconference schedule... But that goes back to UK being their Superbowl game of the season.

Follow along dingleberry, he was talking about how your fanbase called our players thugs for having them, now that your team sports them it's ok with you guys.

Well, those UK fans that did that are quite silly, since most of UK's players have tattoos. I'm fine with anybody having tattoos, though I personally don't have any myself.

Reactions: awf and rockycard
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT