ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Ullis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snider is on a team that plays more kids than LPT. The top five players on LPT's team by minutes logged play 75% of the minutes available. On U of L's team, that stat is 66%. Clearly LPT plays its best players more and/or simply has less quality depth. Regardless, you have to account for that bias when comparing the stats of individual kids. Ulis gets more opportunity to post more/better stats.

The only real downside is comparing kids at the other extreme. I don't know about Hawkins, but the stats of a kid who doesn't get many minutes can get overstated when you triple or quadruple them. Snider gets plenty of minutes to avoid that issue. Nothing wrong with normalizing stats otherwise.

"Elite program", my a$$...
Stop it. He'd easily be the best player on your team. Saying otherwise is idiotic.

Definitely a punk move and potentially pretty dangerous kicking another player in the head like that. I'm guessing Cal won't be benching Ulis for doing that though.

We know SuCkS fans bashed Grayson 'the tripper' Allen of duke for his antics.

If tyler useless was a UofL player, he'd be labeled a thug. A SuCkS player could
kill someone in cold blood, and they'd bash/blame the victim...........

Pathetic fanbase.

Yeah,kicking people in the head is not too cool.Ulis must not be paying attention to all the concussion awareness.

Reactions: blubo
Action definitely should've been taken against Allen for the multiple tripping incidents. That's dangerous enough. However kicking someone in the head when they're down is even worse and more dangerous.

IDK, watching the replay, it did not look as egregious as the slow mo. Not being a homer here. I did not see it live, but saw the vine and it looked bad. Went back and found full speed replay, looked incidental. Based on the angle, looked like he was swinging his foot forward as part of disentangling and standing up. There was a ref standing right there too and didn't call anything.

It looked bad in slow mo, but real time not so much.

The same dysfunctional team that spanked your Cards this season? What does that say about your program?
"villefan"?? :D

"spanked"? By two points at home?? :D:D

It says my team didn't have SIX five-star kids and wasn't playing one of the two good teams on its schedule.

Last edited:
In recent times, AD is/was great. A true franchise player which he's showing in the NBA (as I understand since I don't watch it).

As long as Pitino Lite can land a kid like Davis, he can overcome his personal shortcomings and win a championship. But I guess that's the rub because Anthony Davis ain't walkin' thru that door.

There no Anthony Davis out there to walk in anyone door, that kind only player only come around ever 20 years.

Why did you even bring up Snyder to begin with ? It seems that you go stat hunting anytime you need to tell a story. I don't need stats to tell you that Tyler ulis is better than Snyder and you don't either. I can look at what happens on the floor and recognize talent...
Dang right he gets 40 minutes. He's too valuable to take out. Plus he's never in foul trouble and his stamina is not an issue. Is this supposed to be a knock on him?
You were pondering how ulis would do against the ACC and he just told you. 5-0.
I already acknowledged that the stats show that Ulis is a little better on a minute-adjusted basis. The OP is a U of L fan. He should obviously know Snider for comparison since he plays the same position for U of L. Since you mentioned it, I could have similarly asked what an LPT fan is doing here offering an opinion.

Only a paranoid slapd!ck would interpret anything I've said as a "knock" on Ulis. Hell, I look at it as praising Snider! Again, show me the boxscore for an LPT game against an ACC team. If Ulis played 1-on-5, then he beat the ACC team.

The kid is an awesome player and a leader. He basically coached the team when Cal got tossed against South Carolina. If he hadn't been platooned, with the selfish brothers last year, Kentucky would have won it all. You can hate UK all you want, but you have to respect Ulis and the way he plays.
I agree with this 100%.

Watching zipp get under people's skin is one of my guilty pleasures. And you guys make it so easy for him. At least pose a bit of a challenge instead of grooving him 75mph fastballs.
I agree - it's like pushing old ladies in the pool, er I mean shooting fish in a barrel.

Reactions: blubo and Cue Card
I agree - it's like pushing old ladies in the pool, er I mean shooting fish in a barrel.
Like Fooling Ted Stroemann. :D
ted-stroehmann-there-s-something-about-mary-.jpg

Watching zipp get under people's skin is one of my guilty pleasures. And you guys make it so easy for him. At least pose a bit of a challenge instead of grooving him 75mph fastballs.
:D

He may be a great kid. I have know idea. But what does he have in common with 98% of pUKe's players??? No degree!! They just toss them out the door like we're done with you now!

I thought you guys were being sarcastic yesterday but apparently some of you actually think he kicked a kid? Why didn't the player react?, why didn't the ref, the coach, the crowd or the announcer react or even mention it? They went for a loose ball, Ullis stands up and puts his hands out asking for the ball since he's the PG. This was laughed at on a national board which is why I had a hard time believing this was serious.

IDK, watching the replay, it did not look as egregious as the slow mo. Not being a homer here. I did not see it live, but saw the vine and it looked bad. Went back and found full speed replay, looked incidental. Based on the angle, looked like he was swinging his foot forward as part of disentangling and standing up. There was a ref standing right there too and didn't call anything.

It looked bad in slow mo, but real time not so much.

It did look bad in slow mo. I actually noticed it live and thought it looked like ulis wanted to step forward over him but the players position made it impossible. It was very light contact. The telling tale when I saw it live was the AM players lack of response. The ref was right there too.

"villefan"?? :D

"spanked"? By two points at home?? :D:D

It says my team didn't have SIX five-star kids and wasn't playing one of the two good teams on its schedule.

I agree it was no spanking, but to be fair, it says UK won the game. Recruiting is a big component of college basketball. When team A recruits better than team B they will put a better team on the floor and usually win the game. There is no handicapping in basketball based on one teams superior recruiting. You win or you don't. That's all that matters

I didn't watch the game, but apparently there are plenty of non-UK sources (just a quick Google check on the story revealed a few of the links to the story below) who DID think it was a kick, including the recipient, Jalen Jones (see below). So, the narrative that it is a non-story by all sources is simply not accurate. I do think most are giving Ulis the benefit of the doubt that the kick wasn't intentional or malicious, but there is zero doubt if it was Ulis on the end of that contact, it would be a HUGE story to UK fans.

http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/982259

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_b...ap_shot_at_texas_a_m_player/s1_11536_20478040

https://lockerdome.com/collegespun/8556564240053268

http://www.onenewspage.com/n/Sports/759jtleo2/Watch-Kentucky-Tyler-Ulis-Appears-To-Take.htm

http://www.secrant.com/sec-basketba...-ulis-cheap-shot-texas-aandm-player/62406372/

Texas A&M's Jones: Unhappy about kick to head from Kentucky's Tyler Ulis

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Texas A&M senior Jalen Jones said he was kicked in the head by Kentucky guard Tyler Ulis after a scramble for a loose ball late in Sunday's first half of the SEC Tournament Championship.

While standing up from a pile of players that fell chasing a rebound,
Ulis appeared to swing his left leg forward, connecting with the back of Jones' head. Jones had a few words for Ulis as he ran past him after the play.

"I had to let him know what was up about that one," Jones said. "I thought he kicked me."

Jones quickly added, "There was no dirty play there, he was just trying to hustle for the ball."

Ulis, the SEC player and defensive player of the year, finished the 82-77 Kentucky win over Texas A&M with a team-high 30 points.

Jones said he was unable to talk to Ulis after the game due to the championship celebrations, but did shake the hands of the Kentucky coaching staff before exiting the arena floor.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the game, but apparently there are plenty of non-UK sources (just a quick Google check on the story revealed a few of the links to the story below) who DID think it was a kick, including the recipient, Jalen Jones (see below). So, the narrative that it is a non-story by all sources is simply not accurate. I do think most are giving Ulis the benefit of the doubt that the kick wasn't intentional or malicious, but there is zero doubt if it was Ulis on the end of that contact, it would be a HUGE story to UK fans.

http://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/982259

http://www.yardbarker.com/college_b...ap_shot_at_texas_a_m_player/s1_11536_20478040

https://lockerdome.com/collegespun/8556564240053268

http://www.onenewspage.com/n/Sports/759jtleo2/Watch-Kentucky-Tyler-Ulis-Appears-To-Take.htm

http://www.secrant.com/sec-basketba...-ulis-cheap-shot-texas-aandm-player/62406372/

Texas A&M's Jones: Unhappy about kick to head from Kentucky's Tyler Ulis

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Texas A&M senior Jalen Jones said he was kicked in the head by Kentucky guard Tyler Ulis after a scramble for a loose ball late in Sunday's first half of the SEC Tournament Championship.

While standing up from a pile of players that fell chasing a rebound,
Ulis appeared to swing his left leg forward, connecting with the back of Jones' head. Jones had a few words for Ulis as he ran past him after the play.

"I had to let him know what was up about that one," Jones said. "I thought he kicked me."

Jones quickly added, "There was no dirty play there, he was just trying to hustle for the ball."

Ulis, the SEC player and defensive player of the year, finished the 82-77 Kentucky win over Texas A&M with a team-high 30 points.

Jones said he was unable to talk to Ulis after the game due to the championship celebrations, but did shake the hands of the Kentucky coaching staff before exiting the arena floor.

Even Jones makes it sound like a NON STORY. But I do agree, had it been reversed, BBN would have been up in arms.

One will be 1st or 2nd team All American, one will not. The country has spoken and not just two fan bases with their bias. It's really a non comparison.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and blubo
One will be 1st or 2nd team All American, one will not. The country has spoken and not just two fan bases with their bias. It's really a non comparison.
One guy gets a lot more playing time than the other one. Stats don't lie. It's really a non comparison.

That is a fallacy in itself. If CRP thought snider could play and be effective for 40 minutes he would have. He came close to letting Lee do that. Chances are the more minutes snider would have gotten his effectiveness would decline as I assume that's why he takes players out when they do, not just because he needs to give other players minutes.

That is a fallacy in itself. If CRP thought snider could play and be effective for 40 minutes he would have. He came close to letting Lee do that. Chances are the more minutes snider would have gotten his effectiveness would decline as I assume that's why he takes players out when they do, not just because he needs to give other players minutes.
The difference in talent between Ulis and his backup--if he has one--is much greater than the difference between Snider and his backup or the guy playing ahead of him. That's why Ulis got much more PT. Otherwise, he would have been "platooned" like last year. Maybe you don't remember back that far.

Lee got more minutes because he was much better than his backup, and he evidently had the necessary stamina. (Another potential issue with Snider.) It's also true that Adel was injured part of the year, and his natural position is the three, like Lee.

Sidebar: In addition to following me around, curious how you're often defending LPT interests. Just sayin'.

One guy gets a lot more playing time than the other one. Stats don't lie. It's really a non comparison.

Stats don't lie, but they also don't paint the whole picture either... as shown using Hawkins stats. There is a difference between data and information. Playing time, box score, performance, value over replacement, team impact, etc, come into play when gauging the value of a player.

And by any measure (except apparently yours) Ulis one of the best at his position this year.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and blubo
The difference in talent between Ulis and his backup--if he has one--is much greater than the difference between Snider and his backup or the guy playing ahead of him. That's why Ulis got much more PT. Otherwise, he would have been "platooned" like last year. Maybe you don't remember back that far.

Lee got more minutes because he was much better than his backup, and he evidently had the necessary stamina. (Another potential issue with Snider.) It's also true that Adel was injured part of the year, and his natural position is the three, like Lee.

Sidebar: In addition to following me around, curious how you're often defending LPT interests. Just sayin'.

At least I don't follow little kids around and take their picture... As far as facts, I believe and use them, I just don't distort them to make others think I am right all the time...

I don't keep up with other teams and leagues as i enjoy following my team but I am a sports fan and any kid that is a first team all American and defensive player of he year must be pretty good. If a Card player was being recognized at that level we would all be enjoying his play and praising his accomplishments.

Our program still has to many uncertainties to be decided on to worry about how many of us hate a UK player or not. Especially one that has evidently earned the awards.

Informed post, thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT