ADVERTISEMENT

The Cards are a 3 touchdown dog, so, let's have a blackout.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Officially, the Notre Dame game is a blackout. This is dumb. It's dumb, because, I already mentioned, the Cards are 20 point underdogs. This isn't #5 UofL against #3 WVU. Let's cool the gimmicks. Additionally, it's the first game of the season. We are football starved. Enthusiasm is in full gear. Cardinal Stadium is already going to be packed. No need for a blackout. Lastly, let's see how the team plays before we do stuff like this. A little premature.

I can understand the sentiment, but it IS one of only two opportunities (Clemson being the other) we have on the home schedule this year to be on a big stage against a big name opponent to (hopefully) show the viewing audience what kind of big time football atmosphere we have in The Ville. And make no mistake about it, vs Notre Dame will be a HUGE stage that night; we are the ONLY game being televised that night. I like the ____ out games for the onscreen visuals, but I definitely prefer a giveaway (like the towels for waving) to produce the visual, rather than try to generate revenue by selling "____ out" t-shirts.

Reactions: PHCARD
Nah bro, we need to back off the gimmicks until we have stood back up. Just play solid football, show we are fighting and let the support come back before going gimmicky.

Birdgang, it’s sad but true. We are down and a lot of folks have jumped off the ship. There will be folks at The Card who wore red before wearing green for this game. There will be a lot of green and then the blue. It’s not going to be a good look for us, bro.

Further, we could beat notre dame but they’re established while we are breaking in a new system and rebuilding a program, bro. Not a good look to start out with a gimmick meant to unite and get our brains beat in. Could hurt more than help, bro.

Reactions: CardsFirst
If you think it’s a gimmick then you don’t have much faith in your team. Like Steelers said, there is only a few home games against a big name opponent. It would look worse if we had a blackout for EKU.

Bro, rewatch some games from last season. By refusing to face reality, we are choosing to be like Kentucky, bro. We have major major deficiencies in areas that will prohibit us from being successful. I believe in Scott, believe in change but this shit is gonna be a long build.

There is a very REAL chance that we lose big to WKU, bro. That’s just real life.

Our blackout would look much better against EKU bc it’ll be all #birdgang. We are going on national tv in a stadium that will very likely have twenty thousand folks in green, bro. Then throw in the blues. The national narrative will be #greenout, especially if our folks start leaving early.

Hell, bro, at least if we do it against Clemson we will know how the season and momentum is going. First game off a terrible season with a new staff against a fake ass bandwagon program isn’t the time to do it. It will make us a joke. Howard, Tom, Charlie, John L., etc worked too damn hard for us to be an effin joke, bro. No, not having it. They can send their blackout to Lexington.

Bro, I promise there will be fake ass members of the #birdgang wearing green leprechaun shit to this game acting like they’ve been ND for life while riding the Card train. It’s effing disgusting, bro. Makes me physically ill, disgusting.

Anytime we are going to be showcased on national television during primetime, you can bet there will be a color-out.

Reactions: SiouxfallsEric13
Can easily see both sides. Always good to excite the fan base - though if you can’t get excited as a UofL fan for the domers coming to Cardinal Stadium, I don’t know what would excite you. Conversely, getting an ass beating - while never good but which looks likely against said domers - during your promotion, is not a good look.

Here’s hoping it works out for the Cardinals on all fronts.

Reactions: Villebandit
Officially, the Notre Dame game is a blackout. This is dumb. It's dumb, because, I already mentioned, the Cards are 20 point underdogs. This isn't #5 UofL against #3 WVU. Let's cool the gimmicks. Additionally, it's the first game of the season. We are football starved. Enthusiasm is in full gear. Cardinal Stadium is already going to be packed. No need for a blackout. Lastly, let's see how the team plays before we do stuff like this. A little premature.

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” (Wayne Gretzky)

Do everything that you can to get the team jacked up, the fans jacked up, and recruits jacked up. Try for a miracle, and even if you fail, the effort will produce great things in the future. Try for a black out miracle. Do not just accept what everyone expects. Expect more. Expect greatness. That is the legacy of Howard. That is where we are going....

Bro, rewatch some games from last season. By refusing to face reality, we are choosing to be like Kentucky, bro. We have major major deficiencies in areas that will prohibit us from being successful. I believe in Scott, believe in change but this shit is gonna be a long build.

There is a very REAL chance that we lose big to WKU, bro. That’s just real life.

Our blackout would look much better against EKU bc it’ll be all #birdgang. We are going on national tv in a stadium that will very likely have twenty thousand folks in green, bro. Then throw in the blues. The national narrative will be #greenout, especially if our folks start leaving early.

Hell, bro, at least if we do it against Clemson we will know how the season and momentum is going. First game off a terrible season with a new staff against a fake ass bandwagon program isn’t the time to do it. It will make us a joke. Howard, Tom, Charlie, John L., etc worked too damn hard for us to be an effin joke, bro. No, not having it. They can send their blackout to Lexington.
No. Unless you have a blackout, what would happen is some fans wear red, some wear black, some wear white, some wear their work clothes. When the ND fans show up in green and gold, we look outnumbered, which is embarrassing on national TV.

It applies in exactly the same way that HedleyLamarr’s post applies. You’re playing Notre Dame on national TV. Passing up the opportunity to showcase the passion of UofL football fans would be a missed opportunity. And a mistake.

Blackouts equate to a showcase of football passion?That's bush league. One of these days I'd like to pretend we have a legitimate football program and we treat "big name" opponents like they are our equals, and we don't have to use gimmicks to get the fans to show their "passion."

Going to a "Blackout" is not about this team or the fans. This about recruiting, and projecting an image to better recruits than what Bobby left CSS with. It shows unity of the fan base, and that UofL can be happening again

Bro, I agree but that’s when the fan base is united. This isn’t WVU or when we went into the ACC. We are very much rebuilding, bro, and see how many so called #birdgang members abandoned us last year. It isn’t going to help recruiting or projecting a positive image when we do a black out and the bulk of OUR stadium is green/blue, bro.

True #birdgang will show out. Everyone on this board will show out black as shit but it’ll be overwhelmed with green/blue bc of our situation. We will be a joke, bro.

Can easily see both sides. Always good to excite the fan base - though if you can’t get excited as a UofL fan for the domers coming to Cardinal Stadium, I don’t know what would excite you. Conversely, getting an ass beating - while never good but which looks likely against said domers - during your promotion, is not a good look.

Here’s hoping it works out for the Cardinals on all fronts.

This is leadership, bro. Preciate you, bro.

Guys, you also have to understand that these color outs are also a way to sell shirts, jerseys, hats whatever. I realized that maybe a lot of the money doesn’t directly go the university but it has to profit somehow by the marketing. I probably have 7 football jerseys now and if a cool one comes out that is black before the ND game, I’ll buy it. So you guys who say you advocate U of L becoming a recognized football program again, you have to fully “buy” in.

One of my greatest memories as a Card fan in Cardinal Stadium was a big night game (don't remember the opponent) not too long ago where they handed out white hand towels. When the team came onto the field, everybody was waving the towels, like the "Terrible Towels" at a Steelers games. I still get goosebumps remembering that moment. I just wish they would "hand out" t-shirts, so everyone would be consistent in the color scheme.

Blackouts equate to a showcase of football passion?That's bush league. One of these days I'd like to pretend we have a legitimate football program and we treat "big name" opponents like they are our equals, and we don't have to use gimmicks to get the fans to show their "passion."

If we still lived in an era where games were broadcast in low def and TV’s were CRT technology, no bigger than 26 inch diagonals, then I’d tend to agree with you that it doesn’t matter. But we don’t, and blackouts look very cool on today’s big screen TVs. So get with the times and show your school pride in a way that translates and makes an impression on the recruits that are going to win us ACC and national championships.

Reactions: SiouxfallsEric13
If we still lived in an era where games were broadcast in low def and TV’s were CRT technology, no bigger than 26 inch diagonals, then I’d tend to agree with you that it doesn’t matter. But we don’t, and blackouts look very cool on today’s big screen TVs. So get with the times and show your school pride in a way that translates and makes an impression on the recruits that are going to win us ACC and national championships.

I wouldn't know how the blackouts look on tv, because I'm at the games, in whatever color the athletic dept. encourages everyone to wear. I just don't think game one, when enthusiasm is already there, as well as being a significant underdog, is the time. At least if Notre Dame comes in and murders us, we'll be appropriately dressed.

Reactions: kypecos
hey brocephuses'
it's a new staff, new coach, new love for each other, and anything can happen so forget about last year it has absolutely nothing to do with this year. celebrate the hope. remember last year, after fifteen minutes the season was already over. i see us putting up 20 points on ND, but probably giving up 45

Reactions: CatPatrick13
I would love to see the team stick to some traditonal uniforms. I guess the players like it, but its a different costume every week with these crazy fashion designers at adidas. At the very least I hope they improve the type of material on the jersey numbers. They look cheap as hell, like some sort of crap tape.

Over on Card Chronical, someone raised the issue of heat being increased by the black apparel. I know the east stands bake at the early games. Is this an issue?

Over on Card Chronical, someone raised the issue of heat being increased by the black apparel. I know the east stands bake at the early games. Is this an issue?
It's an 8 pm kickoff. So I'm thinking the heat shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Reactions: nccardfan
It's not a requirement to wear your blackout shirt, period.
I have an idea to solve this problem. Wear your blackout shirt to the game and if Notre Dame goes up by more than 2 touchdowns in the 2nd half, you just go to the concourse and buy a red or white Cardinal tee and change in the restroom.

That way you won’t be embarrassed walking out of the stadium and you’ll be helping support Cardinal Athletics at the same time.

Here is what I think. If the recruits and the new players like it than I am all for it. All I see on hear is some people questioning if Coach Satterfield can recruit at the"big boy" level well how is he going to bbe able to compete with the big boys if he does do things like this blackout against ND? We have been Cardinal fans mostly all or lives but these kids know a days know nothing about Louisville football. Some call this a gimmick, I call it a promotion of the city of Louisville and Louisville Cardinal football. To me a gimmick is doing that stupid Samoan war dance thing that Hawaii did before their bowl game that eventually got their asses blown out

Here is what I think. If the recruits and the new players like it than I am all for it. All I see on hear is some people questioning if Coach Satterfield can recruit at the"big boy" level well how is he going to bbe able to compete with the big boys if he does do things like this blackout against ND? We have been Cardinal fans mostly all or lives but these kids know a days know nothing about Louisville football. Some call this a gimmick, I call it a promotion of the city of Louisville and Louisville Cardinal football. To me a gimmick is doing that stupid Samoan war dance thing that Hawaii did before their bowl game that eventually got their asses blown out
The best example I know of a gimmick is the 40-0 t-shirts printed up by the kitties...

Pretty sure Hawaii performs the haka, or whatever it is called, at every game. It's a team tradition. I think it's pretty cool.

Could be a good idea but not for the first game. For those of us who have been doing this for a while, through good years and bad, the first game is always logistically challenged. Getting everyone color coordinated is secondary to getting the tailgate organized and everyone to the right spot with the right supplies, distributing the tickets and passes, etc. Plus, it is likely going to be a hot day and black is not going to be the top color choice (assuming that most people even know about the blackout -- there is no preceding game/tailgate to preplan it). So it is doubtful that the participation will be as high as many hope, which might cause it to look a little lame. Doesn't make anyone a bad fan if they don't know or if they simply choose to wear a more comfortable color for the weather. Add in the fact that any "color out" -- if it can be pulled off -- will just make all of the non-UofL fans stand out more. Should have saved it for another time imo. Keep in mind that the majority of fans are not on these message boards and that this particular game will be a huge social event with lots of business invites. Those folks ae going to show up in whatever makes them look good and comfortable. Just a fact.

Could be a good idea but not for the first game. For those of us who have been doing this for a while, through good years and bad, the first game is always logistically challenged. Getting everyone color coordinated is secondary to getting the tailgate organized and everyone to the right spot with the right supplies, distributing the tickets and passes, etc. Plus, it is likely going to be a hot day and black is not going to be the top color choice (assuming that most people even know about the blackout -- there is no preceding game/tailgate to preplan it). So it is doubtful that the participation will be as high as many hope, which might cause it to look a little lame. Doesn't make anyone a bad fan if they don't know or if they simply choose to wear a more comfortable color for the weather. Add in the fact that any "color out" -- if it can be pulled off -- will just make all of the non-UofL fans stand out more. Should have saved it for another time imo. Keep in mind that the majority of fans are not on these message boards and that this particular game will be a huge social event with lots of business invites. Those folks ae going to show up in whatever makes them look good and comfortable. Just a fact.
Or it might just let you know who’s passionate about their football Cardinals...

Or it might just let you know who’s passionate about their football Cardinals...
Why would we want to weed out the "passionate" fans from the "bad" fans on national TV? That's almost like hiring a camera crew for the family reunion to show everyone how dysfunctional you are. It seems like a better idea to just show up and play some football -- no gimmicks or distractions. A blackout for the first game, during the summer, feels like the fake juice that we all ridicule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT