ADVERTISEMENT

The Cards are a 3 touchdown dog, so, let's have a blackout.

How bout we NOT try to divide the fan base by those we THINK are less or more passionate than ourselves? How bout we just accept that we ARE all Card fans?
How does that happen if our fan base can’t even agree on doing a blackout that is obviously supported by the AD, athletic department, football team?

Do we just ignore it and wear whatever we want? Not sure what you are advocating here?

Reactions: PHCARD
How does that happen if our fan base can’t even agree on doing a blackout that is obviously supported by the AD, athletic department, football team?

Do we just ignore it and wear whatever we want? Not sure what you are advocating here?
What I’m advocating is to respect ALL UofL fan’s opinions on the matter and don’t pass judgment as to what that opinion means as far as how much of a fan they are. The only real preference that matters is that we are all rooting for the same team; let each person decide for themselves how they go about that. Live and let live.

btw, when we talk about passion for your team, no matter how much you have, it does not make you a better fan. remember, the main reason you like the team you like is simply because you were born into that city or your family forced you to pay attention before you had a choice. 80% of all people root for a team that is in their hometown or was their parents favorite team and not a team you researched, your favorite team was probably the same one since your were three or four years old before you knew anything.. so being passionate about your team truly means nothing because if you were born in lexington you'd most likely be passionate about that other school and not the cards. passion is simply an emotion that you can control and bragging that you are more emotional or telling me i am not emotional enough for you is just plain ludicrous. i don't go to games because i get sick to my stomach and cannot watch. it's so bad that i turned off the 1986 bball title game and rewatched it on vcr. and i did not watch the 2013 title game in the second half because i so so sick to my stomach. i waited for them to win then went back and watched it. i am so passionate it makes me ill but i never show up to games for this reason and thus i must not be passionate according to some unwritten rules. bragging about you passion sometimes means you have nothing else to do with your time in life. many passionate fans simply choose not to attend games as it's not efficient use of time. btw most people think uk has the most passionate fans...and thus they are also considered the worst fans. so finding the most passionate ones can also show you the worst ones too. be careful what you ask for

Reactions: SiouxfallsEric13
btw, when we talk about passion for your team, no matter how much you have, it does not make you a better fan. remember, the main reason you like the team you like is simply because you were born into that city or your family forced you to pay attention before you had a choice. 80% of all people root for a team that is in their hometown or was their parents favorite team and not a team you researched, your favorite team was probably the same one since your were three or four years old before you knew anything.. so being passionate about your team truly means nothing because if you were born in lexington you'd most likely be passionate about that other school and not the cards. passion is simply an emotion that you can control and bragging that you are more emotional or telling me i am not emotional enough for you is just plain ludicrous. i don't go to games because i get sick to my stomach and cannot watch. it's so bad that i turned off the 1986 bball title game and rewatched it on vcr. and i did not watch the 2013 title game in the second half because i so so sick to my stomach. i waited for them to win then went back and watched it. i am so passionate it makes me ill but i never show up to games for this reason and thus i must not be passionate according to some unwritten rules. bragging about you passion sometimes means you have nothing else to do with your time in life. many passionate fans simply choose not to attend games as it's not efficient use of time. btw most people think uk has the most passionate fans...and thus they are also considered the worst fans. so finding the most passionate ones can also show you the worst ones too. be careful what you ask for

You forgot about people who actually went to and/or graduated from the school they are passionate about.

Do everything that you can to get the team jacked up, the fans jacked up, and recruits jacked up. Try for a miracle, and even if you fail, the effort will produce great things in the future. Try for a black out miracle. Do not just accept what everyone expects. Expect more. Expect greatness. That is the legacy of Howard. That is where we are going....
CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

Can you imagine the sight if Louisville pulls the big upset against ND? I am very concerned about this game. I think the Cards have a far chance of pulling the upset against ND. At home-fired up crowd-new coaches-players with something to prove and nothing to lose after a bad season spells trouble in my book.

Reactions: SiouxfallsEric13
Can you imagine the sight if Louisville pulls the big upset against ND? I am very concerned about this game. I think the Cards have a far chance of pulling the upset against ND. At home-fired up crowd-new coaches-players with something to prove and nothing to lose after a bad season spells trouble in my book.

Don’t you bring that reverse psychology juju around here. Bad juju, bad!

Officially, the Notre Dame game is a blackout. This is dumb. It's dumb, because, I already mentioned, the Cards are 20 point underdogs. This isn't #5 UofL against #3 WVU. Let's cool the gimmicks. Additionally, it's the first game of the season. We are football starved. Enthusiasm is in full gear. Cardinal Stadium is already going to be packed. No need for a blackout. Lastly, let's see how the team plays before we do stuff like this. A little premature.

I agree. If we don’t have blackout, whiteout this you that’s ok. We’re not in a position to worry about that stuff this year. Let’s just worry about being competitive.

If you think it’s a gimmick then you don’t have much faith in your team. Like Steelers said, there is only a few home games against a big name opponent. It would look worse if we had a blackout for EKU.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. So, what if we don’t have a blackout this year? End of the world? No I don’t think so. I normally am all for it, but that’s when there’s good reason. Not just to do it because we’re playing a ranked opponent.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. So, what if we don’t have a blackout this year? End of the world? No I don’t think so. I normally am all for it, but that’s when there’s good reason. Not just to do it because we’re playing a ranked opponent.
It’s not just because they’re ranked top 10. We used to beg to play top football teams. We got a new coaching staff that wants to put last year in the trash can. If the University and the football team want to have a “blackout,” why can’t we as fans support it? It’s first game of the season. It’s ND at home. Scott Satterfield’s first game... Name your reasons for doing nothing or suggest something better, perhaps.

It’s not just because they’re ranked top 10. We used to beg to play top football teams. We got a new coaching staff that wants to put last year in the trash can. If the University and the football team want to have a “blackout,” why can’t we as fans support it? It’s first game of the season. It’s ND at home. Scott Satterfield’s first game... Name your reasons for doing nothing or suggest something better, perhaps.

First I will support whatever they want...meaning I’ll be wearing black, but at this point I just feel we should act like we’re in the ACC and save blackouts for special games. We don’t have to beg to play top teams anymore we are a P5 school. I personally like blackout and whiteouts, but I don’t see the BB doing whiteouts just because we’re playing ND. They save it for big games. I know ND ranked, but we’re in no position to entice them. I think this year we need to just go out and play football. But hey we might go out and shock the world. CSS obviously knows more than me. Personally I’ll just be glad to see FB again and motivated players.

Reactions: nccardfan
First I will support whatever they want...meaning I’ll be wearing black, but at this point I just feel we should act like we’re in the ACC and save blackouts for special games. We don’t have to beg to play top teams anymore we are a P5 school. I personally like blackout and whiteouts, but I don’t see the BB doing whiteouts just because we’re playing ND. They save it for big games. I know ND ranked, but we’re in no position to entice them. I think this year we need to just go out and play football. But hey we might go out and shock the world. CSS obviously knows more than me. Personally I’ll just be glad to see FB again and motivated players.

FWIW...the basketball team had a “red out” for the Notre Dame game this past season. In the end the results on the field are all that matters.

Wow!. A historic season opener with a blue blood CFB team in Notre Dame; it does not get any bigger than that. I never in my wlldest dreams thought the Cards would be hosting ND in Cardinal Stadium. For goodness sake.

I did when Notre Dame joined the ACC for all other sports and was required to play 5 ACC games per year on a rotating basis. I know last year was abysmal and we all got humbled, but we aren’t a low level football program grateful that “almighty” Notre Dame is coming to our stadium. The mentality of some of you, it blows my mind.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Wow!. A historic season opener with a blue blood CFB team in Notre Dame; it does not get any bigger than that. I never in my wlldest dreams thought the Cards would be hosting ND in Cardinal Stadium. For goodness sake.

I did when Notre Dame joined the ACC for all other sports and was required to play 5 ACC games per year on a rotating basis. I know last year was abysmal and we all got humbled, but we aren’t a low level football program grateful that “almighty” Notre Dame is coming to our stadium. The mentality of some of you, it blows my mind.

Exactly it’s not like ND has been blowing up the college FB scene as of late. Their name recognition has saved their bacon a lot and I mean a lot.

Exactly it’s not like ND has been blowing up the college FB scene as of late. Their name recognition has saved their bacon a lot and I mean a lot.

Well, the Irish did make the college football playoff semifinals last year, so they are very good. I’m not disrespecting them at all. It’s the mentality of “I can’t believe Notre Dame is coming to Louisville” that annoys me. It isn’t like ND is gracing us with their presence, or doing us any favors. First, that mentality should be in the minds of small time football fans. Also, we’ve hosted “big name” opponents before. When we were still playing in a baseball stadium and top ranked Penn State came to town, that was a big deal. Being that we’ve come so far and are now and have been running with the big boys, playing a home game against Notre Dame should be approached without star struck eyes. It’s a huge opportunity on a national stage, but only in terms of putting ‘18 behind us, and hopefully regaining the attention of the college football world. Lastly, we’ve known since, I think, 2014, when the Irish agreed to play 5 ACC teams per year, that they would be coming to Louisville.

Well, the Irish did make the college football playoff semifinals last year, so they are very good. I’m not disrespecting them at all. It’s the mentality of “I can’t believe Notre Dame is coming to Louisville” that annoys me. It isn’t like ND is gracing us with their presence, or doing us any favors. First, that mentality should be in the minds of small time football fans. Also, we’ve hosted “big name” opponents before. When we were still playing in a baseball stadium and top ranked Penn State came to town, that was a big deal. Being that we’ve come so far and are now and have been running with the big boys, playing a home game against Notre Dame should be approached without star struck eyes. It’s a huge opportunity on a national stage, but only in terms of putting ‘18 behind us, and hopefully regaining the attention of the college football world. Lastly, we’ve known since, I think, 2014, when the Irish agreed to play 5 ACC teams per year, that they would be coming to Louisville.

Yeah they made the playoffs and got crushed about as bad as they did against Bama. I think Oklahoma was who many thought should have made the playoffs. If you look at who they played last year on the surface it looked great until you dig a little deeper. Which is why I say name recognition. But they will be a formidable opponent for us especially this year.

But I get your point and agree 100%.

Yeah they made the playoffs and got crushed about as bad as they did against Bama. I think Oklahoma was who many thought should have made the playoffs. If you look at who they played last year on the surface it looked great until you dig a little deeper. Which is why I say name recognition. But they will be a formidable opponent for us especially this year.

Um..,Oklahoma did make the playoffs. LOL

And ND played 12 (the most in the country) teams ranked in the Final poll the past two years (out of 26 total games) & won 8 of them (tied for most).

And ND was trailing 9-3 to Clemson with 2 minutes in the half. Then Thorpe Finalist CB Love gets hurt & Clemson scores on two long bombs against his backup to blow the game open before half. Clemson scored 20 total points in 5 minutes that Love was out. The score was 10-3 otherwise. Clemson beat Bama worse than they beat ND, & they even called the dogs off against Bama, but not ND.
Clemson staff & even players said ND was the best team they played last year.

Saying ND gets by on name recognition alone is lazy, bitter & misinformed.

And the following are scores of BCS & CFP games not involving ND that people seem to ignore, but trash ND for their losses:

46-29
37-14
55-19
41-14
37-21
21-0
59-20
37-17
38-0
31-0
24-7
24-6
42-20
44-16

The following are teams who got beat like a drum from the scores above:
Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma (multiple)
Ohio State (multiple)
Texas
LSU
Florida State
Nebraska
Washington
VT
Oregon
Michigan State

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
I've been following the Cardinals since before the Lee Corso days in the early 70's. I am, no doubt, an older fan. This is a matter of historical perspective to me. How far we have come.

My mentality is to be grateful that I am still alive to be able to witness a historic game versus ND in this great Cardinal Stadium that we are blessed with.

Back then it was unreal to witness a game vs ND on our home field. Hell, UK fans could never get that experience and to think that we, UofL are the first in this state to have a game vs ND at home is awesome...to be relished.

And yes, the ACC scheduling made this come about....I still feel very grateful for this....and watching our young men compete with the Irish Domers on our home turf.....well, it does not get any better than that for a Kentuckian by birth and native of Louisville. Now, let the games began under the CSS era with no less than a Notre Dame. Very fitting to be in the under dog role vs a blue blood CFB team. Again, I say Wow!

And Thank you ACC/ND.

Um..,Oklahoma did make the playoffs. LOL

And ND played 12 (the most in the country) teams ranked in the Final poll the past two years (out of 26 total games) & won 8 of them (tied for most).

And ND was trailing 9-3 to Clemson with 2 minutes in the half. Then Thorpe Finalist CB Love gets hurt & Clemson scores on two long bombs against his backup to blow the game open before half. Clemson scored 20 total points in 5 minutes that Love was out. The score was 10-3 otherwise. Clemson beat Bama worse than they beat ND, & they even called the dogs off against Bama, but not ND.
Clemson staff & even players said ND was the best team they played last year.

Saying ND gets by on name recognition alone is lazy, bitter & misinformed.

And the following are scores of BCS & CFP games not involving ND that people seem to ignore, but trash ND for their losses:

46-29
37-14
55-19
41-14
37-21
21-0
59-20
37-17
38-0
31-0
24-7
24-6
42-20
44-16

The following are teams who got beat like a drum from the scores above:
Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma (multiple)
Ohio State (multiple)
Texas
LSU
Florida State
Nebraska
Washington
VT
Oregon
Michigan State

I miss spoke I meant Ohio ST. And the year you played Bama you had no business being there. Had it not been for a bad call by Pitts coach you would have been beat at home. Should have been. But you guys had a good season and who am to argue after a 2-10 season. My point is it’s not like Bamas coming to town. Or for that matter Clemson.

I miss spoke I meant Ohio ST. And the year you played Bama you had no business being there. Had it not been for a bad call by Pitts coach you would have been beat at home. Should have been. But you guys had a good season and who am to argue after a 2-10 season. My point is it’s not like Bamas coming to town. Or for that matter Clemson.
You must be young unlike Mayo and me. ND was a football blood long before Clemson... In his first years, Clemson fans wanted to ditch Dabo because he would make questionable calls that cost them games..

You must be young unlike Mayo and me. ND was a football blood long before Clemson... In his first years, Clemson fans wanted to ditch Dabo because he would make questionable calls that cost them games..

I’m not young I’m 57. What they did 30 years ago is nice but the landscape has changed drastically. If I can remember they won their last NC in ‘88. And I think we beat them at their place last time we played. So yes ND is a quality team and ranked, which is why I’m glad to be playing them to start the season, but last year it was Bama so it’s what we should expect as a P5 school. I’m not going to get all weak in the knees like Mayo because it’s ND. We’ve come a long way and have played some pretty darn good FB teams. And Clemson may not have the perigee, but they are more than relevant now. You’re old enough to know it’s about what you’ve done lately; just ask UCLA BB fans. Not saying their not a storied program because they absolutely are. But later this year will be playing the reigning National Champion, so, their just the beginning to a tough season.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPGhost and CardX

Who’d you rather be at the moment, Clemson or Notre Dame?

Bottom line is it’s Louisville football on the field on September 2nd. They’ll be wearing black, so let’s show our support by doing the same.

The name of the program we are playing against is irrelevant, but the absolute fact that we’re the only game on TV, college or pro, that night is not.

The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that it would have been disappointing if the UofL athletic department was not calling for a “red” or “black” out. Wasn’t our university motto recently “Dare to Be Great”?

That’s a no brainer. Not the question I asked, however.
It’s irrelevant. They‘re both on our schedule. We had Clemson beat twice but didn’t get it done and now we don’t seemed to be on their level. Here comes ND, ranked preseason #9. Let’s see what they got and take a look at our new Cardinals under different leadership. I know, let’s have a blackout?

Reactions: PushupMan
It’s irrelevant. They‘re both on our schedule. We had Clemson beat twice but didn’t get it done and now we don’t seemed to be on their level. Here comes ND, ranked preseason #9. Let’s see what they got and take a look at our new Cardinals under different leadership. I know, let’s have a blackout?

Irrelevant? So is Notre Dame’s glorified history.

One of my greatest memories as a Card fan in Cardinal Stadium was a big night game (don't remember the opponent) not too long ago where they handed out white hand towels. When the team came onto the field, everybody was waving the towels, like the "Terrible Towels" at a Steelers games. I still get goosebumps remembering that moment. I just wish they would "hand out" t-shirts, so everyone would be consistent in the color scheme.

Steelers, I love this idea with the white towels (rags). This is a new team, players, coaches, fans waving the white towels showing everyone we are starting all over with a clean slate. I would love to see thousands of white towels waving through the stands... OMG It's a new DAAA, I'm feelin GOOOD

Steelers, I love this idea with the white towels (rags). This is a new team, players, coaches, fans waving the white towels showing everyone we are starting all over with a clean slate. I would love to see thousands of white towels waving through the stands... OMG It's a new DAAA, I'm feelin GOOOD
White towels...for a Blackout...would REALLY show up well on TV! Wish I could remember what game that was so i can try to find some video from the crowd.

White towels...for a Blackout...would REALLY show up well on TV! Wish I could remember what game that was so i can try to find some video from the crowd.

UofL had a few "towel" games. Pretty sure it was during Petrino 1.0. They became such a hit that an administrator at WKU wrote an editorial to the CJ about how the credit for the towels should be given to WKU and Diddle, since they wave towels all the time. My job requires me to visit college campuses. I had a meeting with that WKU administrator a few days after his letter was printed. I remember talking to him about it.

UofL had a few "towel" games. Pretty sure it was during Petrino 1.0. They became such a hit that an administrator at WKU wrote an editorial to the CJ about how the credit for the towels should be given to WKU and Diddle, since they wave towels all the time. My job requires me to visit college campuses. I had a meeting with that WKU administrator a few days after his letter was printed. I remember talking to him about it.
This particular game would have been BP 2.0, since I wasn't a season ticket holder for BP 1.0. I even remember the towels were sponsored by Caesar's of Southern Indiana (there was some Caesar's logo on them) and has some color to them (not just black and white like another towel giveaway we had fairly recently as well). It was a night game of course.

Edit: Just found it. It was the Rutgers Thursday night game in 2013 (under Charlie Strong). I still have that towel. Whew...I am OCD, that was bugging me. :p

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ls-at-sold-out-rutgers-football-game/2946403/

Last edited:
Irrelevant? So is Notre Dame’s glorified history.

Yes, what ND did in the past doesn’t matter opening weekend this season. But for some reason 2014 seems to matter to some? I guess I don’t understand what are the timelines we are using?

Notre Dame played in two of the top 10 most watched regular season games last year in a season where their schedule was fairly mediocre. They are still highly relevant from a TV perspective.

Notre Dame played in two of the top 10 most watched regular season games last year in a season where their schedule was fairly mediocre. They are still highly relevant from a TV perspective.

CBS is allowed to pick one game per season & lock it down for their prime time slot.
It’s usually always Alabama vs LSU. This year they chose ND vs Georgia. So the Bama vs LSU game will be at 3:30 instead.

One of my greatest memories as a Card fan in Cardinal Stadium was a big night game (don't remember the opponent) not too long ago where they handed out white hand towels. When the team came onto the field, everybody was waving the towels, like the "Terrible Towels" at a Steelers games. I still get goosebumps remembering that moment. I just wish they would "hand out" t-shirts, so everyone would be consistent in the color scheme.

You sure it wouldn’t look like we were surrendering?

really? appreciation for where we have come from is a mentality that blows your mind? ok....

ADVERTISEMENT