ADVERTISEMENT

Name Another NCAA Basketball Coach That Has Done Less With More Than Calipari

LPT basketball fans butthurt why they don't have more championships don't get to:
  • Come here and summarize for U of L fans how we think (or should)
  • Dismiss facts
  • Lower the bar when the championships don't come
  • Use the issues that come along with their OAD system to defend themselves when they can simply adopt another system
  • Separate themselves from their conference or use it as another excuse
I have no problem with Pitino Lite, his system, or your conference. They each produce the results I would expect on their own merits. Lite is a great recruiter and psychologist, an average bench coach, and playing in a mid-major conference except for his own team. I say that as objectively as possible, and I think many LPT fans would agree with me...

Reactions: clearthebases
LPT basketball fans butthurt why they don't have more championships don't get to:
  • Dismiss facts
  • Use the issues that come along with their OAD system to defend themselves when they can simply adopt another system
I have no problem with Pitino Lite, his system, or your conference. They each produce the results I would expect on their own merits. Lite is a great recruiter and psychologist, an average bench coach, and playing in a mid-major conference except for his own team. I say that as objectively as possible, and I think many LPT fans would agree with me...

I think its hilarious that you cling to that LPT moniker!

Let's see:
Average bench coach + elite recruiting
Vs
Best bench coach + above average recruiting
=
What? Should kind of equal out I would think? Does it?

Last edited:

Let's see:
Vs
=
It's used because it bothers you. Don't make an issue out of it, and I may get bored with it. (But don't hold your breath waiting...)

"Elite program", my a$$...

• Dismiss facts

I can come here and refute or clarify anything and everything that I would like as long as I do it respectfully. And I would be respectful regardless of the situation bc I have no animus toward UL or it's fans.

Should a mod decide to ban me for clarifying your bar graphs and pie charts, well that is certainly their right I suppose.

All I did was to add the context to your pie charts & bar graphs that was needed for the sake of complete clarity. I understand why you would create a straw man "lowering the bar" or "dismissing the facts" argument for that bc adding any kind of context to your argument pretty clearly debunks it. And then all your hard work is for nothing. So I gotcha. Do whatcha gotta do.

If you want to specifically give me an example of a "fact" that I dismissed, I would be happy to address it. However, I don't see where I denied anything factual. Just filled in manipulated and distorted data with fact based context. Big difference and you know it bc it is how you created this narrative to begin with.

Nevertheless, we have wasted each other's time here. I was merely passing thru. I will Retire until next time I stumble over here in boredom.

UL appears ok track for a prosperous and healthy season. Good to have two such high quality teams in the state year in year out. I hope you guys curb stomp the Grayson Allen trippies this weekend.

I can come here and refute or clarify anything and everything that I would like as long as I do it respectfully. And I would be respectful regardless of the situation bc I have no animus toward UL or it's fans.

Should a mod decide to ban me for clarifying your bar graphs and pie charts, well that is certainly their right I suppose.

All I did was to add the context to your pie charts & bar graphs that was needed for the sake of complete clarity. I understand why you would create a straw man "lowering the bar" or "dismissing the facts" argument for that bc adding any kind of context to your argument pretty clearly debunks it. And then all your hard work is for nothing. So I gotcha. Do whatcha gotta do...
I should have been clearer... I'm not playing moderator and telling you what you can or can't say. And I've never been an advocate of bans except in extreme circumstances. When I say you can't tell us how to think, I mean you can't assert your POV and expect U of L fans like me to just accept it. Hell, I don't treat fellow U of L fans with that courtesy. The validity of your POV is just as much subject for debate as the underlying issues, facts, whatever. And being an LPT fan doesn't necessarily make your analysis invalid although that's an easy excuse for LPT fans to use here. Come strong to the debate and you'll find out.

Data don't need "context", the least of which, yours A chart/graph is little more than a visual presentation of data. If you want to pose a counterargument, the best approach IMO is to present data that refute the original premise. Calling it "context" that is in reality just your opinion how the data I show are not representative or why you don't like it is not compelling. It only sounds to me like you don't like the image of your coach and/or program that the data suggest.

I love a good debate. But I esp. enjoy someone who knows how to debate. Not just an LPT whiner that 'zipp' is biased and resorting to his typical schtick. That's shooting the messenger or trying to.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnKBA
This who's who list of coaches simply underscores the point made by the OP.

Romar has done far less than cal and has had some pretty remarkable talent. He has one of the best three or four players in the country right now and they are struggling to stay .500

I've often said you can have a constructive discussion with zipp (and many others on this board) so long as you take it for what it is.

We love our team, and U of L fans love theirs, period. Trying to convince a U of L fan to think differently about UK is like trying to get a conservative to think differently about a liberal, or vice versa - it's a dead end, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is what it is.

Reactions: zipp
I should have been clearer... I'm not playing moderator and telling you what you can or can't say. And I've never been an advocate of bans except in extreme circumstances. When I say you can't tell us how to think, I mean you can't assert your POV and expect U of L fans like me to just accept it. Hell, I don't treat fellow U of L fans with that courtesy. The validity of your POV is just as much subject for debate as the underlying issues, facts, whatever. And being an LPT fan doesn't necessarily make your analysis invalid although that's an easy excuse for LPT fans to use here. Come strong to the debate and you'll find out.

Data don't need "context", the least of which, yours A chart/graph is little more than a visual presentation of data. If you want to pose a counterargument, the best approach IMO is to present data that refute the original premise. Calling it "context" that is in reality just your opinion how the data I show are not representative or why you don't like it is not compelling. It only sounds to me like you don't like the image of your coach and/or program that the data suggest.

I love a good debate. But I esp. enjoy someone who knows how to debate. Not just an LPT whiner that 'zipp' is biased and resorting to his typical schtick. That's shooting the messenger or trying to.

I honestly have no idea who you are, have seen your posts from time to time on here or referenced elsewhere but it is immediately pretty clear where you stand related to U.K. And I can appreciate that as well. We are all fans here. Of course, I Do not have all those colorful monikers or pet nicknames for UL or its coaches/fans/AD's like you. So, there is that. But I digress.

Never whined about anything. I simply added context to debunk your premise. I accepted your "facts" without discussion and explained the context behind them.

You have not discounted one single item that I added to the conversation bc you cannot. You simply revert to the tried and true message board tactics of straw man and name calling. So, you keep telling anyone who explains away your facts that they are "lowering the bar" or "whining" or "dismissing data". What you are really doing is running from the argument/debate and hurling insults as you go. But I suppose it makes you feel better to act like it is beneath you or not valid. I gotcha. Makes sense.

It was never my intention to debate you personally. Matter of fact, I mentioned it was a waste of both our time. Much less your assertion that I am trying to instigate the famous "zipp".

I will say that I very much disagree that facts don't need context. They certainly do. Otherwise, people like yourself will continue to manipulate them to fit your agenda. It is all we see on the news for both sides of the political fence now. Each side chooses their argument based on "facts" that are manipulated. Unemployment data, Middle East data, Econonomic growth data/forecasts all fall prey to this same tactic. Not until you actually do your own research to debunk or validate them do you actually have any idea what those "facts" mean.

Just FTR, in above paragraph I use the word "you" in the royal sense. Not referring to you personally. Just anyone who wants to actually delve into finding the truth. And finding the truth certainly doesn't mean accepting agenda driven data on its face without context.

So, call me slappie, or LPT?, or whatever you like. Doesn't change the fact that you were so desperate for an argument against U.K./Cal that you resorted to distorting data to mislead. All bc you had no argument or leg to stand on related to your chosen team or coach's success related to UK/Cal. That is the most important "fact" of them all. And it is pretty established and clear to anyone who is looking.

I honestly have no idea who you are...
You don't? Yet I'm also the "famous zipp"? Which is it??

Let's stay on topic and take things slowly... Give me one point and the best case for your BELIEF that you debunked anything I said in this or any other LPT post. And we'll debate the hell out of it, and then move to your next point.

Also, my "colorful monikers" are not really mine although I appreciate your trying to credit me. I'm just using what others--Petrino and Matt Hayes of TSN--have already coined for you and your fanbase. And I like using them as long as LPT fans keep making issue of them.

I've often said you can have a constructive discussion with zipp (and many others on this board) so long as you take it for what it is.

We love our team, and U of L fans love theirs, period. Trying to convince a U of L fan to think differently about UK is like trying to get a conservative to think differently about a liberal, or vice versa - it's a dead end, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is what it is.
Truth be told and based on his many posts, I'm probably closer to where John is on many issues than I am on the same issues with some U of L fans. (Of course, John has also mostly figured me out which thankfully the majority have not...)

I also know that's not gonna win John any fans in his own fanbase.

:cool:

Romar has done far less than cal and has had some pretty remarkable talent. He has one of the best three or four players in the country right now and they are struggling to stay .500
No one's recruiting is anywhere close to Pitino Lite's; I'll post those numbers again if you want proof.

But don't you think that's damning by faint praise? How is comparing your guy to Romar, Dale Brown, or Guy Lewis anything else?

No one's recruiting is anywhere close to Pitino Lite's; I'll post those numbers again if you want proof.

But don't you think that's damning by faint praise? How is comparing your guy to Romar, Dale Brown, or Guy Lewis anything else?

There is no comparison. We are in the title hunt every year with four final fours since 2009 when coach was hired. Romar has squandered away many good players, a few of them not even making the tournament. If you aren't familiar with the talent that has came through that program you should look it up. It's remarkable.

There is no comparison. We are in the title hunt every year with four final fours since 2009 when coach was hired. Romar has squandered away many good players, a few of them not even making the tournament. If you aren't familiar with the talent that has came through that program you should look it up. It's remarkable.
I guess I'll just keep posting the numbers. (On quick inspection, Washington's nowhere on the list...)

5%20Star%20Basketball%20Recruits%202009-2016_zpse7swfc0j.jpg

I guess I'll just keep posting the numbers. (On quick inspection, Washington's nowhere on the list...)

This list is very mis leading. Not all five stars pan out and not all two stars suck. Sometimes recruiting services just miss on kids. I think it would be more accurate to look at NBA draft position to really grasp the talent each coach has had.

Did you think the Harrison twins were the best PG and SG coming out of high school? Recruiting services did. Example of two kids who over powered high schoolers but at the college level were just big guards who were a step slow.

This list is very mis leading. Not all five stars pan out and not all two stars suck. Sometimes recruiting services just miss on kids. I think it would be more accurate to look at NBA draft position to really grasp the talent each coach has had.

Did you think the Harrison twins were the best PG and SG coming out of high school? Recruiting services did. Example of two kids who over powered high schoolers but at the college level were just big guards who were a step slow.
There's some level of BS in there, and it doesn't surprise me that an LPT fan would be spewing it.

You're team has an inordinate amount of talent. Just own that. It's why Lite is at LPT, and it's his system. No one in THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT has probably amassed that much talent in one place over such a short period of time, incl. the UCLA teams of old. But they had the run of titles to show for it.

Let's see:
Vs
=

Come on, man, did you use Real Math this time?? That stastistical-rich analysis is probably epic.

And in the end, you are comparing 2 guys unless I misread you. Is that important?

The question always revolves around whether or not it is premature to say that Calipari's coaching licks still have a ways to go. He apparently has the sales spiel down, lol. And, one has to assume, the resources behind it all. Can you imagine the pancakes Russ would have eaten if he had a 24/7 chef down the hall? It could have been epic, lol.

Calipari aint Jesus of Hazzardham. He stumbles at the finish pretty regularly. And that's your bottom line to this point in time. Do they ever play close games in the OVC? Maybe competition would help.

Losing in the first round of the NIT and in the round of 32 is in the title hunt "every year"?

Losing in the first round of the NIT and in the round of 32 is in the title hunt "every year"?
Our best player got hurt and it happens is all I can say. It's a single elimination tournament but I think you probably understand how hard it is to win a 6 game single elimination tournament. Or maybe I am giving you too much basketball credit?

Our best player got hurt and it happens is all I can say. It's a single elimination tournament but I think you probably understand how hard it is to win a 6 game single elimination tournament. Or maybe I am giving you too much basketball credit?

Lol Don't get all angry because you made a false statement and got called out on it. You could have said most years or something similar but you didn't.

On paper, Duke should win the title this year. They have arguably the most talent and experience IF they are all healthy. And if I'm honest, UofL has as good of shot as anyone. Should be a great tournament this year.

Lol Don't get all angry because you made a false statement and got called out on it. You could have said most years or something similar but you didn't.
We were a worst a sweet 16 team with Nerlens. I will give you last year, however. We had the front court comparable to a Kentucky high school team.

Updated numbers from Rivals through the 2016 recruiting class. Pictures speak for themselves...

U of L is in the group of 8 tied with 2 signees.

And as always, this picture means nothing without considering the output of the system. As many people have already pointed out, the turnover is a key factor. All those players don't mean anything if they're no longer playing for you.

If two different people have leaky buckets that are being filled with water, and bucket A is being filled twice as fast but also has a proportionately bigger leak, then neither bucket is fuller at any given time. The amount of water (talent) is the same.

This chart is like looking at Michael Phelp's diet compared to other people and concluding that he must be fat. That makes sense only if you ignore the caloric output.

UK and Duke both average the same number of five stars per roster, and they are slightly ahead of AZ/Kansas in that regard.

If you want to talk about coaches for this list, there are plenty to work with - Barnes, Pastner, Hamilton, Johnny Jones, Lorenzo Romar, Dave Rice, maybe Sean Miller (although I think he's been knocked out by really legitimate teams in the tourney).. and you can go back in time and look at some guys like Dean Smith and Dale Brown.

...If two different people have leaky buckets that are being filled with water, and bucket A is being filled twice as fast but also has a proportionately bigger leak, then neither bucket is fuller at any given time. The amount of water (talent) is the same...
If you're saying your bucket could have a huge leak or you're just pi$$ing away talent, there might be broader agreement.

And if you're making excuses for your system, good luck with that.

4 final fours in 7 full years isn't pissing away talent.
Since when is making the Final Four with a roster of five-star kids considered an accomplishment? Are you also going to be proud of another SEC championship?

Making the final 4 is always an accomplishment Zipp.
Not with the talent LPT has, and being overseeded after going 17-1 or 18-0 in the SEC. It's an illusion that Final Four quality is a true accomplishment in most years.

Last edited:
Not with the talent LPT has, and being overseeded after going 17-1 or 18-0 in the SEC. It's an illusion that Final Four quality is a true accomplishment in most years.

UK is the only program ever to have a "disappointing" National Championship, lol.

Zipp, You contradict yourself. In football you say recruiting rankings don't matter, and in basketball apparently you think it means everything.

All teams that make it to the last weekend have talent.

I and every UK fan I know is enjoying this run as much as Pitinos run in the 90's. Its fun to have a legit shot at winning the title most years. Playing and competing in big games.

I wish the top kids stayed around longer now a days, I think it would benefit them, college ball and NBA play, but they don't.

I like Louisville's team this year, your bigs are coming around and I still have a soft spot for Pitino.

Zipp, You contradict yourself. In football you say recruiting rankings don't matter, and in basketball apparently you think it means everything...
LPT fans are adept at misquoting me or taking comments out of context. Give me the complete quote in context, and I'll show you where there's no inconsistency.
...All teams that make it to the last weekend have talent.

I and every UK fan I know is enjoying this run as much as Pitinos run in the 90's...
Again, you're missing the point... The issue isn't talent, it's accomplishment. LPT fans may indeed be enjoying what they THINK is accomplishment. But what you think doesn't matter.

LPT fans are adept at misquoting me or taking comments out of context. Give me the complete quote in context, and I'll show you where there's no inconsistency.

Again, you're missing the point... The issue isn't talent, it's accomplishment. LPT fans may indeed be enjoying what they THINK is accomplishment. But what you think doesn't matter.

Uh, what?

I'd counter that what he thinks actually matters. Otherwise, nobody should be on any message board, ever, debating things that in almost all cases are 100% subjective.

Uh, what?

I'd counter that what he thinks actually matters. Otherwise, nobody should be on any message board, ever, debating things that in almost all cases are 100% subjective.
He acknowledged it was himself and his LPT buds. How is that representative? You know, as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Why not just give yourself another championship trophy?

That's the thing about Zipp. No matter what is accomplished it's still not good enough. Fans like him can't ever give another team a compliment. He's what makes UL fans look bad. He's the UL Grover.

Reactions: GFANBB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT