ADVERTISEMENT

Name Another NCAA Basketball Coach That Has Done Less With More Than Calipari

Because there's no turning back now.He's on record as stating it's about draft night,not the season.It's tough to sell the program if it's not sold on that premise.

Hey,and that's ok if it's ok with the BBN.

Reactions: Cue Card
In 7 full seasons since Calipari has been at U.K. They've gone to 4 final fours, 2 title games and one title.
Would you guys be disappointed in that? Of course not.
The only year I was truly disappointed was 2014-15. UK had the best team, with a real shot to go undefeated. Towns needed to be fed the ball, and Harrison wanted to be the hero. If Ulis is in the Cats win that game, but hindsight is 20/20.

In 7 full seasons since Calipari has been at U.K. They've gone to 4 final fours, 2 title games and one title.
Would you guys be disappointed in that? Of course not.
The only year I was truly disappointed was 2014-15. UK had the best team, with a real shot to go undefeated. Towns needed to be fed the ball, and Harrison wanted to be the hero. If Ulis is in the Cats win that game, but hindsight is 20/20.

You’re wrong. As 90% of UK fans almost always are. No group of basketball fans think they know more, but actually know less, than UK basketball fans.

The Harrisons carried UK and willed them to win time and again. Without the Harrisons, and relying on a freshman Ulis, you don’t even make it to Wisconsin. Your basketball IQ is not high friend. Just another example of why players like the Harrisons should play for a fan base that understands the game and appreciates their players.

You’re wrong. As 90% of UK fans almost always are. No group of basketball fans think they know more, but actually know less, than UK basketball fans.

The Harrisons carried UK and willed them to win time and again. Without the Harrisons, and relying on a freshman Ulis, you don’t even make it to Wisconsin. Your basketball IQ is not high friend. Just another example of why players like the Harrisons should play for a fan base that understands the game and appreciates their players.

I thought I made it apparent I was speaking of the game against Wisconsin.

Tyler Ulis is a better point guard than Harrison, is doesn't mean I didn't like the Harrison's, I did. However, if Ulis is put guard at the end of the game there wouldn't have been 3 shot clock violations in a row.
Towns would've been fed the ball and he was unstoppable the second half.

As I stated, that's the only game I was truly disappointed in Calipari.

Just stunning the talent he has collected for the last 15 years and has one championship to show for it. He should thank the heavens each night that Anthony Davis played on a team he was called the coach of at UK. He'd be ringless without him.

This UK team has a very small chance to make noise in the NCAA Tournament. They are athletic, but not physical. Cal's best teams have been his most physical teams. This team is weak and does not defend well. A second Sweet Sixteen flameout in as many years plus this loss will leave the blue people grumbling all offseason.
Ben Howland while @ UCLA!!!

Sure they do...

Final%20Fours%20vs%205%20Star%20Basketball%20Recruits%202010-2016_zpsxshtyznr.jpg

"Elite program", my a$$...
Do they hang banners for that or just final fours in general? Asking for a friend

How many of those do we have in Lexington?
Depends on the coach. Is this a trick question? How does an entire vacated season stack up for ya in Lexington? Baron? Point Shaving Scandal? Try looking up ' Kentucky Wildcats Point Shaving Scandal - 1951. Oddly enough, UofK won the National Championships in 1948, 1949 and 1951. Weird stuff I know. Ya got to take the bad along with the good. Just own it.

What success? Dominating an intramural basketball league in the SEC? They have a ten week bye from now until the NCAA.

He builds his roster a certain way. He chooses to do it in a way that devalues experience. That's on him. It is stunning to look at the numbers being put up in the NBA by players who he could not even get to a Final Four. Cousins, Wall and Bledsoe on one team, and not even a Final Four. You could dig Adolph Rupp up and sit him on the sideline Weekend at Bernie's style and make a Final Four with that group.
Exactly. He plays in a crap conference and I mean sh&t conference.....and he has one freaking championship with record numbers of five stars !! You would think the higher seedings he gets from playing in that 10 week bye would help him have more championships. He has done nothing more than Pitino has at UL (who has manymany less five stars and a jauggernaut conference to play in )since he has been at UK. He's a clown He could sell snow mittens in the Amazon however.

Do they hang banners for that or just final fours in general? Asking for a friend
A whole lotta things get measured that they don't hang banners for. But wasted talent is a good one.

Reactions: earsky
Exactly. He plays in a crap conference and I mean sh&t conference.....and he has one freaking championship with record numbers of five stars !! You would think the higher seedings he gets from playing in that 10 week bye would help him have more championships. He has done nothing more than Pitino has at UL (who has manymany less five stars and a jauggernaut conference to play in )since he has been at UK. He's a clown He could sell snow mittens in the Amazon however.

The record speaks for itself, 4 final 4's in 7 years is pretty good.

Cal is loyal to kids and parents. He could have easily beat Wisconsin and gone on to crush duke in 2014. But he choose to go with Harrison twins. If he inserts Booker and Ulis in that game he wins. He knows it and has said as much. Criticize away but he had the balls to give those harrison kids a chance. Love or hate him he cared about those kids.

Should he gave more champuonships? Absolutely. But he isn't a bad coach. Pitino should hAve also beat Arizona in 1997. UK could easily have 11 championships. But the ride was good.

Cal is loyal to kids and parents. He could have easily beat Wisconsin and gone on to crush duke in 2014. But he choose to go with Harrison twins. If he inserts Booker and Ulis in that game he wins. He knows it and has said as much. Criticize away but he had the balls to give those harrison kids a chance. Love or hate him he cared about those kids...
Really good stuff. I'd like to know how many slappies are OK with sacrificing championships so that the kids and parents are kept happy. Let me know where to find that info.

Last edited:
Cal is loyal to kids and parents. He could have easily beat Wisconsin and gone on to crush duke in 2014. But he choose to go with Harrison twins. If he inserts Booker and Ulis in that game he wins. He knows it and has said as much. Criticize away but he had the balls to give those harrison kids a chance. Love or hate him he cared about those kids.

Should he gave more champuonships? Absolutely. But he isn't a bad coach. Pitino should hAve also beat Arizona in 1997. UK could easily have 11 championships. But the ride was good.

What a complete load of crap. Loyalty should be to the school and fans that write your checks. Period.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Cal is loyal to kids and parents. He could have easily beat Wisconsin and gone on to crush duke in 2014. But he choose to go with Harrison twins. If he inserts Booker and Ulis in that game he wins. He knows it and has said as much.
Don't be a rube. I bet you also believe he was the one who notified the NCAA about Marcus Camby? Because he said he did, so it must have happened, right?

Reactions: Cue Card
A whole lotta things get measured that they don't hang banners for. But wasted talent is a good one.

Do you give coach cal as much props for bringing in the elite talent as you do riding him for apparently wasting it? If a Championship and three more final fours is wasting it.

Depends on the coach. Is this a trick question? How does an entire vacated season stack up for ya in Lexington? Baron? Point Shaving Scandal? Try looking up ' Kentucky Wildcats Point Shaving Scandal - 1951. Oddly enough, UofK won the National Championships in 1948, 1949 and 1951. Weird stuff I know. Ya got to take the bad along with the good. Just own it.
Not a trick question. How many vacated final fours does Kentucky have?

Not a trick question. How many vacated final fours does Kentucky have?
The University of Kentucky had to vacate 2 wins and 1 loss in 1985. Had UofK made the final 4 that year, it would have been vacated.

UofK currently employees a head coach who has 2 vacated final four appearances at two different programs attached to his coaching resume. John Calipari vacated 4 tournament wins and 1 tournament loss in 1996 at UMASS, and he also vacated 33 regular season wins, 5 tournament wins and 1 tournament loss at Memphis.

Set the bar high. Ethics?

Last edited:
The University of Kentucky had to vacate 2 wins and 1 loss in 1985. Had UofK made the final 4 that year, it would have been vacated.

UofK currently employees a head coach who has 2 vacated final four appearances at two different programs attached to his coaching resume. John Calipari vacated 4 tournament wins and 1 tournament loss in 1996 at UMASS, and he also vacated 33 regular season wins, 5 tournament wins and 1 tournament loss at Memphis.

Set the bar high. Ethics?
Please don't start an argument on ethics. You don't have any ground to stand on at all.

Edit: to answer my question since you would not. No. Kentucky hasn't had any vacated final fours.

Please don't start an argument on ethics. You don't have any ground to stand on at all.

Edit: to answer my question since you would not. No. Kentucky hasn't had any vacated final fours.
Only an entire season ban AKA the death penalty but you hang on to the 'no final fours vacated' theme in spite of employing the only coach to have not 1, but 2 vacated final fours on his resume at 2 different programs not named Kentucky. I know that makes you feel better.

Regarding ethical behavior. I have never ONCE defended Pitino over his issues. I do not condone it nor defend it. I accept it and make no excuses about it. I have every right to CHOOSE that path. I own it. I don't stand by some BS made up excuse like you're doing regarding Calipari and even UofK's own history. Own it and be done with it.

Only an entire season ban AKA the death penalty but you hang on to the 'no final fours vacated' theme in spite of employing the only coach to have not 1, but 2 vacated final fours on his resume at 2 different programs not named Kentucky. I know that makes you feel better.

Regarding ethical behavior. I have never ONCE defended Pitino over his issues. I do not condone it nor defend it. I accept it and make no excuses about it. I have every right to CHOOSE that path. I own it. I don't stand by some BS made up excuse like you're doing regarding Calipari and even UofK's own history. Own it and be done with it.
You want me to feel bad for something that happened when I was in diapers? I'm sorry but I can not.

It's sucks we paid a player it sucks even more that we got caught paying a player but with that we now have a very strict compliance program. One of the strictest.

We are fans of programs. Our allegiance stands with Kentucky and Louisville respectively. Calipari/Pitino will be gone and we will have new coaches to ridicule each other about. Best rivalry in CBB

You want me to feel bad for something that happened when I was in diapers? I'm sorry but I can not.

It's sucks we paid a player it sucks even more that we got caught paying a player but with that we now have a very strict compliance program. One of the strictest.

We are fans of programs. Our allegiance stands with Kentucky and Louisville respectively. Calipari/Pitino will be gone and we will have new coaches to ridicule each other about. Best rivalry in CBB
I don't expect you to feel bad about the history. My only wish is for you (and all UofK fans) to simply own it. Accept it and for the love of everything basketball related, please stop trying to make up flimsy excuses for what is history, and that should never be forgot or rewritten. Those who forget to learn from past mistakes are doomed to repeat them. That's why TRUE history is important.

I don't expect you to feel bad about the history. My only wish is for you (and all UofK fans) to simply own it. Accept it and for the love of everything basketball related, please stop trying to make up flimsy excuses for what is history, and that should never be forgot or rewritten. Those who forget to learn from past mistakes are doomed to repeat them. That's why TRUE history is important.
I know our history and I do own it. All of it. I have plenty to be proud of but I also have some things that are shameful.

I will keep this message quoted though for future reference when your brethren downplay older championships when discussing elite programs (zipp).

Reactions: cwcat
I know our history and I do own it. All of it. I have plenty to be proud of but I also have some things that are shameful.

I will keep this message quoted though for future reference when your brethren downplay older championships when discussing elite programs (zipp).
LOL. I don't and won't speak for zipp. He doesn't need my help. Best believe that. :D

Reactions: zipp
Do you give coach cal as much props for bringing in the elite talent as you do riding him for apparently wasting it? If a Championship and three more final fours is wasting it.
In truth, I don't have a problem with Pitino Lite. He's really good at what he does. I was just replying in the context of the OP which is how well he does (or doesn't) with the talent at his beckoning.

Reactions: Creo
In truth, I don't have a problem with Pitino Lite. He's really good at what he does. I was just replying in the context of the OP which is how well he does (or doesn't) with the talent at his beckoning.

What does Billy Donovan have to do with anything. Isn't he known as Pitino Lite or do you mean Little Ricky

The scope of this thread was the amazing, jaw-dropping, unprecedented, almost incalculable amount of talent Cal has brought to UK and the one championship he has to show for it. No one has done less with more. Empirically true as shown by Zipp's charts. Lot of off-topic (flailing?) responses from the blue people to deflect.

Reactions: Cue Card and zipp
The scope of this thread was the amazing, jaw-dropping, unprecedented, almost incalculable amount of talent Cal has brought to UK and the one championship he has to show for it. No one has done less with more. Empirically true as shown by Zipp's charts. Lot of off-topic (flailing?) responses from the blue people to deflect.
True, and you can't rationally argue with facts. LPT has recruited an obscene amount of basketball talent this decade, and the postseason results are what they are. All of that is/are facts.

The best LPT counterargument on topic is to offer an alternate way of analyzing those facts. For example, you could make some type of adjustment for age or experience. That wouldn't completely refute the OP, but it might help explain talent-vs-results.

And obviously, lack of experience can't be easily separated from the Pitino Lite model. He can rely more on talent or experience, and he has made his choice. Unfortunately for slapd!cks, he can't have both.

Reactions: Cue Card and Creo
I think it's best to wait for all the data to come in prior to analyzing a tenure.

I recall a ton of fans just hating on Pitino's tenure at UofL prior to his 2nd FF.

Same should apply to Calipari at UK. They've yet to have a stretch of true post season failure, I'm talking first weekend exits consecutively, or even three years in a row. That may not ever happen. They also might win multiple titles between now and his retirement. Who knows?

So the question is ultimately this. Would you trade your success since 2009 for ours? That's what it ultimately is judged by. Success. Not success relative to our talent level. Just success.

So the question is ultimately this. Would you trade your success since 2009 for ours? That's what it ultimately is judged by. Success. Not success relative to our talent level. Just success.
No. Peyton Siva and Russ Smith could not have had the careers they did at UK. Watching those two, to me, epitomized what college basketball should be. Also would not want to play in the SEC. UofL has had tremendous conference success in two of the toughest basketball conferences in the nation. Given that, with Pitino's emphasis on multiyear players, I prefer UofL's results.

Last edited:
No. Peyton Siva and Russ Smith could not have had the careers they did at UK. Watching those two, to me, epitomized what college basketball should be. Also would not want to play in the SEC. UofL has had tremendous conference success in two of the toughest basketball conferences in the nation. Given that, with Pitino's emphasis on multiyear players, I prefer UofL's results.
+1

Besides, I'm getting too old to learn brand new names each and every passing year. I prefer the chance of getting to know the players at least a little while before they leave. 1 semester is just not enough.

True, and you can't rationally argue with facts. LPT has recruited an obscene amount of basketball talent this decade, and the postseason results are what they are. All of that is/are facts.

The best LPT counterargument on topic is to offer an alternate way of analyzing those facts. For example, you could make some type of adjustment for age or experience. That wouldn't completely refute the OP, but it might help explain talent-vs-results.

And obviously, lack of experience can't be easily separated from the Pitino Lite model. He can rely more on talent or experience, and he has made his choice. Unfortunately for slapd!cks, he can't have both.

The thing you aren't considering is that all classes aren't the same.

UK had the 1 or 2 class last year, had a decent year, but Labasierre wasn't the same class of big man as Towns.
Briscoe was a 5 star, I love his heart, but other than that why was he a 5 star?

Youre right that this is how Cal has chosen to proceed, and it's worked pretty dang good as of now, but simply saying he had X number of five stars he should have X number of titles is a little disengenuous.

The thing you aren't considering is that all classes aren't the same.

UK had the 1 or 2 class last year, had a decent year, but Labasierre wasn't the same class of big man as Towns.
Briscoe was a 5 star, I love his heart, but other than that why was he a 5 star?

Youre right that this is how Cal has chosen to proceed, and it's worked pretty dang good as of now, but simply saying he had X number of five stars he should have X number of titles is a little disengenuous.
I never stated how many titles Lite should have, except more than one. Nothing "disingenuous" about that--those are facts, difficult as they may be for an LPT fan to accept.

Class-to-class variation is probably a legit factor. But are you sure your problems last year were related to weakness of the 2015 class? Why didn't Lite land Ben Simmons or Diamond Stone instead of Labissiere? Those guys were all in the same class. If you're having issues with some of your five-star kids, whose fault is that? Could be Lite's a little better coach and a worse recruiter or evaluator of recruits.

But arguing that he doesn't have talent or doesn't try to rely on talent is, as you say, disingenuous.

Recruiting is part of coaching.

UK is going to need to have a few early post season meltdowns for me to join in on the "ha-ha" perspective.

I'm talking 1st round loss to low seeds, or a string of 2nd round failures.

But yeah, there is a touch of pressure that might rise if they aren't playing late in March this year.

The roster turnover is cool when post seasons last a long time.

...But yeah, there is a touch of pressure that might rise if they aren't playing late in March this year.

The roster turnover is cool when post seasons last a long time.
I haven't made this comment yet, but we don't know how good a win the LPT game was because we don't if they're good or not. The last time we beat them, they ended up in the NIT. And par for the course is for us to (1) lose the game when LPT is good, and (2) win it when they're not.

Let's talk in about two months...

I haven't made this comment yet, but we don't know how good a win the LPT game was because we don't if they're good or not. The last time we beat them, they ended up in the NIT. And par for the course is for us to (1) lose the game when LPT is good, and (2) win it when they're not.

Let's talk in about two months...

As far as ranking the wins - the Purdue win is to be held in higher regard. They are a stout team that will do well in the computers, they may win the B10 this year.

UK is a good team, they may not have a strong seed and/or computer type of thing working for them. They are going to drop some road games to suspect competition.

+1

Besides, I'm getting too old to learn brand new names each and every passing year. I prefer the chance of getting to know the players at least a little while before they leave. 1 semester is just not enough.

I said success not recruiting strategy, conference affiliation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT