ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs Notre Dame

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
We are going to have to play with a lot of intensity today, that means go after every rebound and loose ball as a team. We can’t have anybody standing around waiting for their teammates to do it. Defense has to be really good and give plenty of weak side help.

Tight 1st quarter ND up by 2 our defense has been good so far we need to keep it up. ND switched up Hildago and they moved her to a shooting guard. I think that is to our advantage because when Hildago brings the ball up she is in attack mode and is hard to stop.

Good 1st half Cards up by 7 a really well played game by Louisville so far. They have forced 9 turnovers against ND. The first half ended with some stair downs Marissa Russell and Maddie Westfield. I hope we can continue this we have kept Hildago below her average look for her to assert herself in the 2nd half.

ND came out with some fury and tied the game up but Taylor responds with a 3 at a good time.

All of a sudden we can’t hit and ND can’t miss. I thought we made a huge mistake going into a zone defense. If something is working why not keep doing it?

Going into the 4th quarter down by 13 I hope we have a better 4th quarter. The momentum is definitely on the side of ND. We have to get some stops the main thing is don’t give up.

The fix is in.

In that quarter, Notre Dame committed about 8 more fouls that weren’t called whenever we would get the ball inside.

Respect to Notre Dame for their great execution on the offensive end, running great plays and hitting a very high percentage of their shots, but it was very clear that the refs were swallowing the whistle on our offensive end in that third quarter.

Reactions: 2330859 and Bardman
We played a great 1st half offensively and defensively I really don’t understand why we quit doing what working in the 1st half. ND was struggling and getting tired then we go into a zone and they get into rhythm. I hate to say it with 7:00 left I think this game is over I hope I am wrong but it doesn’t look good.

Reactions: PushupMan
We played a great 1st half offensively and defensively I really don’t understand why we quit doing what working in the 1st half. ND was struggling and getting tired then we go into a zone and they get into rhythm. I hate to say it with 7:00 left I think this game is over I hope I am wrong but it doesn’t look good.
This is not one of Jeff's typical defensive teams. Many of them don't guard close and Olivia has trouble defensively on switches in the post. I'm amazed that some on the team don't seem aware when they are being guarded by a taller defender. They continue to show the ball to the defender and get their shot blocked.

Reactions: PushupMan
This is not one of Jeff's typical defensive teams. Many of them don't guard close and Olivia has trouble defensively on switches in the post. I'm amazed that some on the team don't seem aware when they are being guarded by a taller defender. They continue to show the ball to the defender and get their shot blocked.
Jeff said a week ago that this team thinks offense first and if their off everything off. His other teams were defensive minded which led to offense. And he just can’t get them in that mind set. This team just never came together, which is sad because we have talent.

Last edited:
Second half was the worst this year. Up by five at halftime and did not come out of the locker room for the second half. Scored 22 points total in half. Not going far with this group.

Jeff said a week ago that this team thinks offense first and if their off everything off. His other teams were defensive minded which led to offense. And he just can’t get to get in that mind set. This team just never came together, which is sad because we have talent.
You are spot on, lot's of talent that just doesn't meld. We need one go to player. However I would watch them over the men's team anytime.

You have to play every minute no matter who you are playing in the ACC. Louisville and Va Tech are finding that out. Va Tech gets blown out by ND and Louisville gets blown out by ND. Louisville gets upset by Virginia and Va Tech gets upset by Virginia.

I must confess that I thought the maturity, experience and frankly the athleticism of the transferees would result in much better defensive execution …… it was not.

Hildago is very quick and talented, but the old fundamental defensive adage about “positioning yourself between the player with the ball and the basket” explains why UL could not stop the relatively short ND point guard from continually getting free. It requires lateral movement, something Makessa Robinson demonstrated during her entire career at UL, and despite having 12 players on this roster, I am not sure I saw a single player who could equal that ability.

I agree but it is a product of putting together basically a portal team with no alpha. I'm giving Jeff a pass and I think considering what we knew heading into the season, he's done a fair job keeping us at least near the top of the ACC. One of our strengths and weaknesses is that we have several good players but unlike several of the really good women's team, we no longer have an alpha, a go to player.

I agree but it is a product of putting together basically a portal team with no alpha. I'm giving Jeff a pass and I think considering what we knew heading into the season, he's done a fair job keeping us at least near the top of the ACC. One of our strengths and weaknesses is that we have several good players but unlike several of the really good women's team, we no longer have an alpha, a go to player.
Nor do we have an alpha defensive player.

Reactions: nccardfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT