ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs Syracuse

That should Not have been called intentional. Total BS.
That ref was terrible the entire game. That intentional foul she called is a perfect example of the ineptitude of women's college basketball officiating.

I've seen that a million times not called a intentional foul. Cochran should know better though. She's seen terrible officiating for four years.

The entire college basketball landscape for both men and women is a joke. I keep hoping things will return to how it was, but that's just wishful thinking.

You could see as the game progressed, the officials and the announcers were both going to “will the game to Fair and the Cuse”.

The WBB officiating is already ”a living legend”, and I suppose the conference actually likes the fact that poor officiating can in fact influence the winners and the losers.

In this contest, the Officials rewarded the opponent by allowing their physical play, which led to the retaliation that we witnessed By the Cards.

I get the bad calls, what I cannot accept is the tendency to call the games in favor of one team.

They’ve got to get “intentional foul” call out of the game. It’s either a common foul or it’s flagrant, which means a hard foul committed with the intent to harm.

Yet another case where overly complicated rules screw up an otherwise great sport.

Reactions: ulcards1 and Deeva
That was a game that didn't need to be lost. Gave away a win.
Refs took that one Dan. As a ref you got to understand, that unless someone tackles a player, or it's in the act of shooting. As a Red who cannot call an intentional which basically handing the game to the other Team. Giving them 2 shots, and the ball with 2 second left. Was it a foul yes it was. Should have been call intentional, not nearly enough IMO that you hand the game over to the other Team. You deciding who wins, instead of the players!

The first rule of officiating is never, ever effect the outcome of the game; which is exactly what that official did. The announcers have become so irresponsible, they have essentially given the officials the green light to continue getting by with theft.

Why not? She did not make an attempt on the ball. She grabbed the player. That's unfortunately an intentional foul and a brain fart by Cochran.
IMO that was a play for the ball, as the foul was made, and the whislte had already been blown, by the time she went to grab her. And by the grab attempt got nothing but air, never saw a tug on the jersey as I recall.

Reactions: 2330859 and Bardman
Refs took that one Dan. As a ref you got to understand, that unless someone tackles a player, or it's in the act of shooting. As a Red who cannot call an intentional which basically handing the game to the other Team. Giving them 2 shots, and the ball with 2 second left. Was it a foul yes it was. Should have been call intentional, not nearly enough IMO that you hand the game over to the other Team. You deciding who wins, instead of the players!
I'm sorry but the lot of you seem to think we only lose because of the officiating and we win because we're U of L. I agree women's officiating is skeptical as best but not the reason we lost this game today. We simply choked. We led nearly all the game but no one stepped up for us. Olivia tried but she was missing in action for 3/4 of the game. The announcers said it right, we have not been in a tight game. We either win by a lot or get beat by more than a few. In moving forward we need to find out who that player is we can go to. Jefferson? She had 8 turnovers by herself and I said Olivia was MIA for 3/4 of the game. Harris stepped up but really nobody else.

Oh and back to the refereeing, they gave us 2 points on a play when they called a foul on them when our own player caused the contact. When one of our players goes up for a layup and jumps off the wrong foot and loses her balance, was it a foul or her just losing her balance? We don't need to make excuses. We had that game won and we need to close it out.

We shot 23/24 from the foul line. Syracuse only went to the line 13 times and made 11/13.

Last edited:
IMO that was a play for the ball, as the foul was made, and the whislte had already been blown, by the time she went to grab her. And by the grab attempt got nothing but air, never saw a tug on the jersey as I recall.
Go back and watch the replay. Cuse player had possession of the ball. Cochran did know they weren't in the bonus but instead of making a legitimate play on the ball, she simply reached out and grabbed her or at least made contact with her.

I don't understand why we wanted to foul there. gave em the game.
We probably didn't want to foul but they weren't in the bonus yet, Olivia got overzealous but you have to make a play on the ball. Can't just grab someone and put it into the hands of the referees.

I thought that we had 2 breakdowns during the second half that did us in. When you play good teams especially on their home court you can’t do that. I wasn’t happy with the refs they weren’t calling fouls that normally get called. Syracuse had 11 blocks but some of those blocks were over the back and some of them caused bumping the body and normally that is called.
We will be alright and put this loss behind us and get back on track. I don’t even think this will affect us in the rankings. I really thought the call on Cochran was really bad it should have been called a common foul. I have see that same foul called as a common foul for years. The referee determined the outcome of that game which was really bad. Oh and by the way one of the announcers was a Syracuse graduate.

Hey nccardfan…go listen to JW. He strongly disagrees with you…as do I. You can’t make that call 35 feet from the basket and the person isn’t even trying to shoot. We had fouls to give and that’s what we were doing!!

Why not? She did not make an attempt on the ball. She grabbed the player. That's unfortunately an intentional foul and a brain fart by Cochran.
Really that is done in almost every close game in college basketball. Heck it happened last Thursday night when the ND player bear hugged our player. Common foul was called.

I thought that we had 2 breakdowns during the second half that did us in. When you play good teams especially on their home court you can’t do that. I wasn’t happy with the refs they weren’t calling fouls that normally get called. Syracuse had 11 blocks but some of those blocks were over the back and some of them caused bumping the body and normally that is called.
We will be alright and put this loss behind us and get back on track. I don’t even think this will affect us in the rankings. I really thought the call on Cochran was really bad it should have been called a common foul. I have see that same foul called as a common foul for years. The referee determined the outcome of that game which was really bad. Oh and by the way one of the announcers was a Syracuse graduate.
Yeah the fact the announcer was a former CUSE player is another topic all together

Reactions: 2330859 and Bardman
Hey Uncle,

What did you expect Walz to say?
Well, not like he did and he expects a fine. I've never seen Walz so adamant about the officiating after a game.

If you watch college hoops you see intentional fouls all the time not being called intentional. Teams at the end of games are purposely fouling to stop the clock. The refs know this. Sometimes the coaches are yelling "foul" to their players.

The point isn't whether Cochran fouled intentionally because she did. The point is in that situation, the refs don't call it intentional 99 percent of the time.

If this happened to Uconn or LSU in a final 4 game, the uproar would be so huge there would be a rule change.

Ax the intentional foul and go with flagrant 1 or flagrant 2. If a player grabs another player to stop a fast break, call it a flagrant #1 foul.

The intentional foul call has been obsolete for years now that flagrant fouls are called. This charade that it's not intentional all the fouls at the end of the games is ridiculous. Coaches teach players to foul but not to make it obvious which lead to what we saw yesterday.

In a game where contact is not being called much, a necessary foul may need to be more physical and the threat of two free throws and the ball is too punitive as we witnessed yesterday.

Cochran made the mistake of risking an intentional foul when her team was up by one point. She should have let it go but who knows, she may have heard the word, "foul" from the sidelines?

I believe the speed in which the official made her intentional foul call was deliberate, and while I have no evidence to support my belief …….. I think her decision was premeditated before the ball was inbounded. The exchange between the Syracuse coach and that official was predictable.

It is not just a case where the referees and the announcers are against UL, I saw it in the early portion of the 2nd half game between Alabama and LSU women. Alabama was up by 6, when Mulkey became animated and got the crowd and the announcers engaged in the action. That Tide lead vanished into an LSU blowout win. Make no mistake, LSU was the superior team, and they were going to win in front of their home crowd; however, Reese got away with a number of offensive and defensive fouls, as the officials and the SEC announcers understand the importance of LSU revailing in these interconference matches, as the conference must have both South Carolina and LSU with #1 seeds.

The Women BB games are increasing in TV popularity, and the ACC and SEC officials understand the potential revenue. I believe each Conference has their own agenda, and it is not a coincidence that Conference Officials are the same ones who select the referees, which provides an powerful opportunity for that influence to effect close games like the one we witnessed last night.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
It was a bad call Insee the same thing happen in a lot of games and it is called as a common foul. The disappointing thing was we had the lead for the majority of the whole. Syracuse had the lead for a total of 2 minutes. The best team lost but maybe that will give some more energy for the upcoming games.

At one of our recent home games (ND maybe), we created a turnover and got fouled/grabbed from behind on a breakaway. I thought at the time "why wasn't that an intentional?" Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT