ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Vs Kentucky Discussion Thread

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
What are your thoughts on this game?

How do you see it playing out?

Team weakness and strengths?

I've only seen Uk play one time this season so I don't know their team well at all.

What are your thoughts on this game?

How do you see it playing out?

Team weakness and strengths?

I've only seen Uk play one time this season so I don't know their team well at all.
I think it boils down to if we don’t share the ball and Nwora wants go hero ball, we will lose and by a lot. We can frustrate this wildcat team if we play defense like we can and they can’t hit their 3 pointers. We have more depth than what we usually have so we should be aggressive. That said if Nwora gets in foul trouble, we might be screwed offensively. Looking forward to ending their streak against us.

. For so many years it pretty much goes the same way. UK always wins .For the most part we always have matchup problems. We play like we never have seen a bb in our life. Some uk player seems to always have the game of their life. This will be my only comment about the game. I see it already happening again UK comes in on a possible 2 game losing streak and us not playing for 10 days which is ridiculous. And you know the story we get run out of corrupt. It's just hard to be positive about beating them .We just dont .

Nwora steps off the bus and gets two fouls called on him. And then whichever guard that Cat fans have been dogging lately will hit 6 threes in the first half and will be hailed as a hero. We cut into their lead in the second half whereupon Mack sneezes and then is issued a technical foul. Cats don’t miss a free throw in the second half and we lose when the ref calls Perry for palming the ball on the games last possession.

We win, it is time. For the first time since Denny Crum we have a head coach that doesn’t have a melt down the second he gets off the bus. Our players will feed off Mack’s will to win. It will be a butt ugly game but our defense and our strength in numbers will prevail. Go Cards. Ls Up!

Just like any other game, except some teams play extra hard in rivals games while others don't. Should be pretty close since talent is more or less equal. Shooting edge should be with UL, in-game coaching UL. Rest of it equal or slight edge to UK with home court being a big edge to UK.

The UK fans are rabid for this one. We always have been and will be the team that goes to the heart of their insecurities. We are the threat to the long established land grant university of the state that has been in the SEC for 75 years with all recruiting and program building advantages. They can’t fathom that we have surpassed them as an all around athletic program. Their fans tell the players all year this is the one game you can’t lose and they come with venom for our players and intimidation in the referees faces.

Add it up and it gives them an edge vs. us at Rupp.

Last edited:
Louisville will have two starters with two fouls each within the first five minutes. Probably called for charging and the others blocking or possibly an over the back call on a rebound.

John will get the crowd lathered up by running and screaming at one of the referees for a bogus non call on Nowra. The referees remembering, what happened to Higgins and his family will give in and John’s team will go 18 for 19 from the free throw line and the Cards will go 4 for 7 with four of the attempts coming after the game as been decided.

And yes, some one on their team will go 5 for 5 from the three point line that has only hit one or two all year.

This is why I always DVR the game, never watch it live. If John’s team is rewarded the win then I just delete. I’ll say John’s team 72, Cards 61.

Then I will be hoping that both teams are paired in the same NCAA tournament bracket and I like Louisville’s chances on a neutral floor, that is if John’s team is not in the NIT.

IMO, this long break may be just what our guys needed. Our competition ytd has not been a bunch of pansies. Advantage UofL. May the spell be broken. I hope Ohio State puts it to KY this weekend.

Morgan, have you ever watched any of our previous games against yeekay? Phantom fouls seem to come out of now where when we play yeekay. Nwora and Enoch will both have 2 fouls getting off the bus.

It’s weird that for all of Rick’s tenure we had the better in game coach than all 3 of their guys and still struggled to beat them.

Now our coach seems to be similar to Cal in the fact that he tightens up in close games.

We are better, but it’s going to be our first true road test of the year. The home court advantage is that their shots from 3 will fall and we will be a bit worse from 3.

Enoch has to have a HUGE game and we win.

It’s weird that for all of Rick’s tenure we had the better in game coach than all 3 of their guys and still struggled to beat them.

Now our coach seems to be similar to Cal in the fact that he tightens up in close games.

We are better, but it’s going to be our first true road test of the year. The home court advantage is that their shots from 3 will fall and we will be a bit worse from 3.

Enoch has to have a HUGE game and we win.
So you don't count Miami as a true road game?

So you don't count Miami as a true road game?
I should’ve put true road test. That was a November game against a crowd that didn’t care. Not 20k screaming rednecks.

Darius, DJ, an Fresh will have a lot of pressure as this will be the first time this year walking into a tough road game this season.

It will be good for the future games we play this year like at Duke. But this is really the first crazy road test.

:rolleyes:

Blaming referees is weak. I don't think referees are why Louisville has lost 10 of the last 12 games or whatever against UK. Be better and win, which they should this year, no excuses.

Refs do cheat UofL a little more, however home teams usually gets the calls.

Its no excuse for a loss. You overcome the refs.

SFA attempted 14 free throws against Duke. Duke attempted 40.

Last years UK game stats from these 4 key players you get similar stats again this year you lose again nothing to dissect . 11 total points, 10 rebs ,1 - 3 pointer

PTS REBS ASST FGS 3PT FT
D. Perry 5 1 0 2/4 1/2 0/0

D. Sutton 2 3 1 0/3 0/2 2/2

R. McMahon 2 0 1 0/2 0/1 2/2

M. Williams 2 6 0 0/2 0/1 2/4

I expect Ryan to have a similar stat line due to zUK guards being to athletic for him as they were last year.

Last edited:
Sutton ain't goin out like that. Write that one down.
The offense can't get stymied early in the shot clock. That's Cal's yearly emphasis,as it will be this year.

Team that shoots the most 3' s loses. Neither team has any business jacking up 30 3' s. If a team does it means their not going inside enough. Every time UofL has a slow scoring game they all start jacking 3' s. Maybe impatience or frustration. Either way a bad sign. As long as we bring max energy for 40 min. We are fine.

I gotta be honest and prepare everyone... I'm gonna enjoy the outcome of this year's game.

The best will be if the good guys prevail. Slapd!ck nation will be in meltdown mode losing three straight, and the season will be a write-off even if the slappies win out. It would be a sight to behold.

BUT the fallout here will be incredible if we don't win it. The lament will be that this was our best chance in awhile, and that Mack can't win this game any better than Pitino. And the referees will cost us big.

I've got the scripts nailed. I just don't know which one to memorize. It's gonna be a fun week waiting to see... :p

Last edited:
I gotta be honest and prepare everyone... I'm gonna enjoy the outcome of this year's game.

The best will be if the good guys prevail. Slapd!ck nation will be in meltdown mode losing three straight, and the season will be a write-off even if the slappies win out. It would be a sight to behold.

BUT the fallout here will be incredible if we don't win it. The lament will be that this was our best chance in awhile, and that Mack can't win this game any better than Pitino. And the referees will cost us big.

I've got the scripts nailed. I just don't know which one to memorize. It's gonna be a fun week waiting to see... :p
I’m hoping for the first scenario. :D

That will bring season long pleasure.

Reactions: zipp

So to sum up - regardless of the outcome, you’ll enjoy reveling in some group’s unhappiness. Not that it’s necessary I guess but, I still think that it’s instructive for anyone who doesn’t completely understand just what type of person you are.

And aren’t.

So to sum up - regardless of the outcome, you’ll enjoy reveling in some group’s unhappiness. Not that it’s necessary I guess but, I still think that it’s instructive for anyone who doesn’t completely understand just what type of person you are.

And aren’t.
It has nothing to do with unhappiness. It has to do with what I perceive as irrationality.

I've stated many times that I have no special interest in playing or beating the slapd!cks in any sport because I don't measure U of L against LPT. And I sure don't measure myself by how U of L performs against any team.

That's what "kind of person I am".

Gonna be a fun week for me...

Blaming games on refs is what UKkk does. Let’s be better than them on the court and better fans than them off the court. Go CARDS. Beat UofKkk.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
This game will be a measure of how far we’ve come since Texas Tech.

Both UK and TT were highly ranked preseason coming into our games on losing streaks. TT came out laser focused with high intensity like a desperate team usually exhibits and we couldn’t match it. UK will be playing like a pack of crazed dogs along with the fans desperation behind them. We have the better team, but not sure how we will do at matching their energy in this one, unless we have grown significantly from the same scenario vs TT.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
This game will be a measure of how far we’ve come since Texas Tech.

Both UK and TT were highly ranked preseason coming into our games on losing streaks. TT came out laser focused with high intensity like a desperate team usually exhibits and we couldn’t match it. UK will be playing like a pack of crazed dogs along with the fans desperation behind them. We have the better team, but not sure how we will do at matching their energy in this one, unless we have grown significantly from the same scenario vs TT.
Something that i didn't know at the time of that TT game they had almost a week to prepare for the game with us. And it really showed with the way they executed their scouting report. However that doesn't excuse the Cards in that game for their lack of total effort they gave.

And aren’t.

First let me say....BP I'm glad to see you back.

Second let me say....@zipp, I would highly recommend that you tread softly. I don't want you spending time behind the keyboard to have it deleted or something even worse. Folks that don't complain about you are even complaining about you. Majority rules in my world.

IMO, this long break may be just what our guys needed. Our competition ytd has not been a bunch of pansies. Advantage UofL. May the spell be broken. I hope Ohio State puts it to KY this weekend.
The long break is what worries me most. Practice versus game shape. I am really concerned the UofL kids will be more practice ready than game shape ready. It's my biggest concern about this game.

First let me say....BP I'm glad to see you back.

Second let me say....@zipp, I would highly recommend that you tread softly. I don't want you spending time behind the keyboard to have it deleted or something even worse. Folks that don't complain about you are even complaining about you. Majority rules in my world.
You notice he resurfaced to attack me. I hadn't given him a second thought.

I'll respond to the rest of your post by private conversation...

I do really think this is one we need.

The hype for this year is great, but say Mack doesn’t deliver this year? Next year we do have a mass exodus of talent/production and not a great class coming in, it will be a drop off.

If we fail this year and next year is a step back, the unreasonable fans will be out for blood on Mack.

:)
I do really think this is one we need.

The hype for this year is great, but say Mack doesn’t deliver this year? Next year we do have a mass exodus of talent/production and not a great class coming in, it will be a drop off.

If we fail this year and next year is a step back, the unreasonable fans will be out for blood on Mack.
Well, you always wanna win the game obviously. But Mack can be a fine coach if he never beats a slapd!ck because in the overall scheme of things, slapd!cks don’t matter.

I’ll simply get plenty of pushback on that narrative next week if we don’t win. And I’ll be looking forward to it... :)

:)
Well, you always wanna win the game obviously. But Mack can be a fine coach if he never beats a slapd!ck because in the overall scheme of things, slapd!cks don’t matter.

I’ll simply get plenty of pushback on that narrative next week if we don’t win. And I’ll be looking forward to it... :)
But sometimes it is about the narrative sadly.

I think 2022 when this current crop of recruits are juniors and the 2021 class comes in we will have a great idea of what Mack is as a coach.

This is a Pitino team with all Pitino recruiter players as the main contributors for the most part.

I hate to say it...

Grovers 71, Cards 61

we are their Super Bowl, World Series, and Stanley Cup all rolled into one.

Kentucky is very good from the FT line at 78%. As everyone is aware they aren't adept from the arc at 26.1% (that is -6% which is a very un-Calipari team like stat). They are much like us in that they are turning the ball over at roughly the same rate they are turning over the opposition.

I think this game has a simple template...play defensively like they did against Pitt and Michigan in consecutive contests and they will be fine. While I do have horrific visions of our points having issues in the halfcourt attacking Haggins, Perry is a very important part on the defensive end. His on ball defense on Haggins is critical, especially as step one in the Pack Line whose first principle is keep drives out of the lane. Force Kentucky into generating points from the perimeter and you are forcing them away from their strength which is getting into the lane and to the FT line. My hope is that on our end the realization of Enoch's talent is finally recognized by someone when we have the ball; this game seems tailor made for Dwayne Sutton.

I have thought a lot about this game since watching the OSU game on Saturday. For me its as simple as our guard play. If our guard play is serviceable and as a team we (1) don't turn the ball over and create easy baskets for UK's abismal offense and (2) prevent foul trouble in the first half to ensure we stick to our rotations and (3) feed the post without forcing it, I really like our chances.

I think we are better shooting team. I think we are better rebounding team. I think we play better team D. I think we have more experience and depth. And for one of the first years since Cow has been there, the talent level is pretty damn close! For once when you look at the top 8 players on both sides, we actually have the advantage or are equal to in more than half.

The few things that make me nervous.....10 days between games--no idea what effect this may have! UK has lost 2 in a row--great thing bc I hate them with a passion, but 3 in a row??? UofL's propensity to go sideways once a few negative things happen--do we bow our necks and play through it or fold like we did vs TT? Can Nwora play within the offense and let the game come to him as he will be the best player on the floor? Can Perry, Kimble, and Johnson play tough with Hagans hounding them? And finally, which UK s#!%head will come out of nowhere and hit 4 3's in key spots?

All that said, I am going 64-58 Cards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT