ADVERTISEMENT

Two/Three deep Depth Chart

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Maybe three at some positions. Let me preface by saying I haven't seen Brandon Anderson play this Spring,so I'm not sure what his status is. Dressed but not playing,I'm assuming he might not be ready to go Friday.
Tbs,I'll leave him out because of that uncertainty.
1B McCoy
Napleton
Beard
2B Hoy
Beard
Alicea
SS Kilen
Hoy
3B Beard
Napleton
C Napleton
Rose
Klein/Vierling
LF Benson
Rose
Lippe
CF King
Dickerson
Lippe
RF Humphries
Moore
DH Napleton
Beard
Rose
- Add to this mix any of the two or three deep outfielders listed above.

Lucas Moore is a really good looking Freshman along with Alicea. There are a couple other talented Freshmen who I've not gotten names on yet (so weird why they can't put their names up during the scrimmages).
Moore and Alicea stand the best chance to see some action. George Baker is another Freshman catcher who I've seen playing some 3rd Base.
I've counted now no less than 6 guys who have caught before. Baker looks to be a redshirt candidate. I will update when the roster comes out. If Anderson gets healthy,that's another guy who could play 1B,3B or Dh.
Not intentionally,but I left Forbes off because of his two way status. He's in the mix in the outfield if he's not pitching.Mac has so many options,it's hard to keep up with but we know the guys who've been in the system longer get first crack.

Last edited:
My interpretation of “depth“ is somewhat different than yours, as I see Beard and Napleton listed at 4 positions. I am not disagreeing with your interpretation, as I can see how it qualifies. I just prefer to see depth where there are starters in each of the positions, and a completely different group of backup players competing for playing time. I will concede that your depth chart provides Dan with a lot of flexibility; but if anything happens to one of those two, it results in a domino effect on multiple positions.

Your inclusion of both Anderson and Forbes in the discussion, but omission from the depth chart, would come closer to my definition of depth, if indeed they can contribute. I say this, particularly for Anderson filling in as DH, as that allows Napleton to catch.

If any of the 3 freshmen in Moore, Baker and/or Alicea can step in at some point, that would be a huge bonus for Dan.

The reason I did that with those 2 guys is because I've seen them play all those positions listed. My instinct is that they will both be in the batting lineup somewhere,I'm just not sure at what position. For example,if McCoy doesn't produce at the plate,both of those guys own a 1st baseman's mitt.
The placement of guys at different spots only means that I've seen them playing that position. If you look at the first name on the depth chart for that position,that's who I think will start there opening day.
I think Anderson is hurt but I don't know the extent. Forbes is in a group of guys that are behind the three returning veterans Benson,King and Humphries. I couldn't say who in that group has an edge.

Reactions: 2330859
Do you think Indiana State, USF and UConn are all legitimate top 25 teams this season?

Both Indiana St and UCONN were NCAA tournament teams last year. UCONN was actually 44-17 and lost to Florida.
USF had a bad year going 21-39 but HC made a lot of changes and is determined to change things. Should be a good early season test.

Based on CDM’s trust level. I imagine he has a pretty high level of trust with Liggett. So, he may go that way to start. Yet, if Gongora is displaying the talent level to warrant the pre-season acknowledgments then CDM my bet is he’ll roll the dice with him. My guess, overall, CDM would love to use multiple pitchers this weekend. Wins early on are great but not life or death. This weekend should tell him who is ready to roll right now and then he can sprinkle in other guys moving forward.

Winning without playing your best would be optimal imo. Find a way to get the W,which could help down the road if these other teams have good seasons.
I think we'll score some runs this weekend. They are built to put pressure on the defense.

Quite a reunion to see Jurich and Prado watching the game. Earsky you were right, we did score runs but our bullpen couldn't stop the other team from scoring. I know its early but from watching the two games, I haven't seen much improvement, basically more of the same. I don't know if Dan's philosophy has changed about playing small ball or we didn't get enough baserunners to be aggressive. I remember in the 1st game, Humphries leading off with a double with no outs and not getting him over to 3rd. Gongora definitely has the stuff hitting 94-97 mph consistently with offspeed around 80 mph, but doesn't seem to have a strikeout pitch. Just like last year, our pitchers nibble too much. Both Koger and Phillips struggled. Indiana St was aggressive and confident. Karaba wasn't bad with 4 K's but he gave up a couple of walks as well.

Reactions: earsky
I don't know if Dan's philosophy has changed about playing small ball or we didn't get enough baserunners to be aggressive. I remember in the 1st game, Humphries leading off with a double with no outs and not getting him over to 3rd.
Yeah me neither. I'm just thinking that he's wanting to see who it is that can be relied on to drive in runs with this group,so he basically has a snapshot of the guys he used Friday. It's unfortunate the Cards couldn't come up with the plays to get the Ws.
Look for others to get chances as we go through this 18 game home stretch.

Yeah me neither. I'm just thinking that he's wanting to see who it is that can be relied on to drive in runs with this group,so he basically has a snapshot of the guys he used Friday. It's unfortunate the Cards couldn't come up with the plays to get the Ws.
Look for others to get chances as we go through this 18 game home stretch.
I'm definitely not panicking but I think people undervalued what Knapczyk brought to our team both as a leadoff hitter (who seemingly was always getting on base) or as a pretty good SS. There was one ball that was hit up the middle that I have seen Knap make many a time with ease and Gavin got to it but couldn't make the throw. We definitely need to find a leadoff. Benson might still be that guy or we go with someone like Hoy or Beard.

Yeah I really think guys are going through a bit of a tryout, so to speak. Mac working for down the road. I know I know we want to win. Sure would've been much better if we scratch out one of those two.
I don't think either loss will kill us. That's two potential Tournament teams.

Reactions: nccardfan
There are some guys that have gotten their shot and are not looking back.
Not sure how Mac can take Anderson,Moore or Alicea out of the lineup right now. Is what it is.
All 3 of these guys use the whole field which expands their chances when they're in a pitcher's count. Can't say that for everyone.

Agreed. Hoy may need to go over to 3B until Alicea cools off. Anderson can play first or DH.

Reactions: shutterbug
Ya know what? i don’t care if you a senior or a freshman. Play well you get on the field - period. If think Logan play any infield position and DH. He’ll get opportunities. Personally, I’d rather see him in the lineup over McCoy.

As far as Beard,he'll keep getting opportunities. I just don't know what playing him ahead of Anderson might do to the the chemistry of the team.
Beard has struggled at the plate since the start of last season. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, he shouldn’t be ahead of Anderson.

BTW - the guys beat EKU yesterday- like they should have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT