ADVERTISEMENT

Hope Petrino was watching the Title game

KerryRhodes

15000+
Dec 15, 2007
The Championship mentality starts with the Head Coach.

The O-line and its coaching has to be priority # 1.

The defense gave up to many key 3rd down conversions. Even in the wins.

Need to finally beat Clemson, and win a top 10 road game. Should be at FSU.

41-9 Petrino needs to kick Petrino 2.0 to the curb.

Its Louisville's time.

Its Louisville's time.
Agree totally with every word in this post. The quick pass game needs some run as well. Go 5 wide and use our advantages.

The way UofL BLEW out FSU who beat Michigan, and then went toe to toe with the national champion at their house (one of the toughest places to play in college football) has to make me wonder what the hell happened to this team mid season. There has to be some behind the scenes locker room stuff, Heisman jealousy, or just a total breakdown. Possibly, NFL prospects just playing to not get injured.....I am utterly baffled.

We may never know, but I am convinced something happened to this team mid season. They played as if they didn't care the second half of the season.

We also NEED Lamar to LEARN how to throw short passes with TOUCH!!!

:cool:
100% agree. His touch needs improving, and he will improve because he has the desire to improve. He has the slant passes down. He needs to learn how to read the defenses better, and I have little doubt he will. He's a winner. He'll do fine.

Its Louisville's time.

Ha ha ha ha ha! 41-9 Petrino was in C-USA and Big East, where Louisville had among the best resources in terms of facilities, athletics tradition and recruiting base. They DEFINITELY were in the top 3, even in the Big East. In the ACC? Not so much, when there are the likes of FSU, Miami, Clemson and even Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech, not to mention in certain contexts UNC, Pitt, UVa and Syracuse. To put it another way: Petrino didn't go 41-9 in the SEC did he? Of course not, because he was at Arkansas, which doesn't have the resources that Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee or even Auburn has. Petrino's high water mark in the SEC was winning the SEC West (and losing in the SEC title game) and then losing in the Sugar Bowl to the same Ohio State program that Dabo Swinney is undefeated against.

Those schools can regularly contend for the top 10-20 just by having decent coaches and recruiting in-state plus neighboring states. Meanwhile, Louisville has to go into Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas etc. to get kids that a lot of times the likes of FSU and UGA overlook. Case in point: the Gators and 'Canes didn't really have much interest in Lamar Jackson because he is a dual threat/spread QB and the big Florida schools - including truthfully FSU - prefer dropback passers. (Plus the 'Noles had Francis, who was a higher rated recruit than Jackson. If you saw the bowl game against Michigan, during which FSU purposefully chose not to do much in the way of option or designed QB runs for Francis so he could attack Michigan as a dropback passer, you saw that Francis was highly rated for a reason. Not saying that Francois is better than Jackson, obviously, only that FSU preferred Francois to Jackson in the recruiting process because Francois was highly rated and was deserving of his rating ... Jackson was very likely undervalued by the recruiting services and such.)

C-USA and the Big East, you can regularly win with Petrino's scheme and Louisville talent. But Petrino had real problems with the better teams in the SEC during his run there. And now that the ACC is almost as good as the SEC was in the 2000s (Saban, Meyer and Miles in the SEC at the same time) he is going to run into the same sorts of issues. Had Louisville been in ACC about 5-10 years ago, when the crop of coaches were weaker (before Fisher and Swinney figured things out and when Beamer had lost it at Virginia Tech) or the era before when it was even worse and the ACC had like 8-5 conference champions ... remember that the ACC went like 3-12 in BCS games or something - then sure, maybe Petrino would have been real successful. But to compete with Clemson, FSU and the programs that I believe that Pitt, Miami and Virginia Tech are going to be in 2-3 years with their new coaches, Petrino is going to need to go back to some of the power running that his better Louisville (Michael Bush, Eric Shelton right?) and Arkansas teams had, as well as getting much better players on both interior lines. Louisville didn't only get handled up front by the likes of LSU and Clemson, but also against HOUSTON, a group of 5 school. 41-9 Petrino isn't going to "come back" until Petrino gets 41-9 Power 5 talent to compete.

A little personal interaction from the HC goes a long way. We don't, and probably won't ever, have that.

The talking heads spent the first half doggin CU's OL and saying they had no chance against Bama's NFL quality DL :rolleyes:

Reactions: American Male
We may never know, but I am convinced something happened to this team mid season. They played as if they didn't care the second half of the season.

They weren't ready for the CFP talk and losing to Clemson made the season lose its purpose. You can draw a line after that loss and see it. Beating bad BC and NCST teams doesn't matter. We get a new purpose/season in the Spring, and I think the Cards handle it better. I think they will.

This one is for Beasley - changes are needed on the OL. I was a huge Klenakis fan coming into this past season, but that performance against LSU would get most OL coaches fired.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Look at the rise of Arkansas football during his time there. That is success by anyone's definition except maybe Alabama's. Child please.
My concern-
- he left here after year four and Krapgs could do nothing with what he left (leave the "Krags sucked" out of it.

- he left Arky after year four and Bielema could do nothing with what was left, and still hasn't.

I'm hoping, but we'll see.

Last edited:
The way UofL BLEW out FSU who beat Michigan, and then went toe to toe with the national champion at their house (one of the toughest places to play in college football) has to make me wonder what the hell happened to this team mid season. There has to be some behind the scenes locker room stuff, Heisman jealousy, or just a total breakdown. Possibly, NFL prospects just playing to not get injured.....I am utterly baffled.

There's never been any solid evidence or signs of any team discourse. It's all just speculation. We'd know something in this day and age, IMO.

My concern-
- he left here after year four and Krapgs could do nothing with what he left (leave the "Krags sucked" out of it.

- he left Arky after year four and Bielema could do nothing with what was left, and still hasn't.

I'm hoping, but we'll see.
Not sure how you can "leave Krags sucks out of it" when he sucked so bad. Petrino 1.0 was always pretty lax with the micromanaging the players' lives outside of football related activities - you were expected to be disciplined and perform on the field and not get arrested off of it. Smoking weed didn't bother BP, whereas it was a big no-no with kragthorpe. I will always be convinced that his desire to 'change the culture' and be a hall monitor in addition to HC, was a big part of the problem.

Admittedly I know significantly less about the Arkansas program other than BP had that program rolling and if not for his foolishness, he was poised to a be an every year power in the sec west - it's not like he left to stay ahead of poor recruiting. Also, Bielema runs a traditional two back power set that relies upon huge OL and a mostly blocking TE. Those are not the type of players that BP was recruiting to Arky. Lastly, Bielema has been there for what 5 years? If he can't do anything with it now - that's squarely on him and no one else.

I agree the mid season decline is baffling, but part of it is good coaches finding an answer for our offense which was so LJ dominated. After Houston exposed us, there was no apparent adjustment by CBP to obtain more balance to relying on LJ free lancing. I know that LJ did some things that CBP didn't want (not handing off the ball and running clock on last UK series) but, as others have observed, there did not appear to be any offensive changes for the bowl game, when we knew in advance the strength of LSU's defense.

Its Louisville's time.

Petrino 2.0 was likely at a 3D showing of Sing with the grand kids last night.

Reactions: JohnKBA
I agree the mid season decline is baffling, but part of it is good coaches finding an answer for our offense which was so LJ dominated. After Houston exposed us, there was no apparent adjustment by CBP to obtain more balance to relying on LJ free lancing. I know that LJ did some things that CBP didn't want (not handing off the ball and running clock on last UK series) but, as others have observed, there did not appear to be any offensive changes for the bowl game, when we knew in advance the strength of LSU's defense.
Very true. Versus LSU, we ran the same five offensive plays that we ran all year.

Ha ha ha ha ha! 41-9 Petrino was in C-USA and Big East, where Louisville had among the best resources in terms of facilities, athletics tradition and recruiting base. They DEFINITELY were in the top 3, even in the Big East. In the ACC? Not so much, when there are the likes of FSU, Miami, Clemson and even Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech, not to mention in certain contexts UNC, Pitt, UVa and Syracuse. To put it another way: Petrino didn't go 41-9 in the SEC did he? Of course not, because he was at Arkansas, which doesn't have the resources that Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee or even Auburn has. Petrino's high water mark in the SEC was winning the SEC West (and losing in the SEC title game) and then losing in the Sugar Bowl to the same Ohio State program that Dabo Swinney is undefeated against.

Once the stadium expansion is completed for the 2018 season, the only three teams in the ACC that will have comparable (not better) facilities for football will be Florida State, Clemson and Virginia Tech. Miami and Pitt have to take the table scraps left over from the NFL team in their city. Georgia Tech is constantly complaining about how they have to do more with less. Football is an afterthought at UNC and Virginia, and Syracuse has to complete an upgrade to the Carrier Dome just to become competitive again with the UNC's, NC State's and Virginia's.

Reactions: GoldCard

It's not too baffling to me.... Preseason, Petrino knew he had the type of team that could compete for a national championship, and he said as much at the ACC media days. The reason he felt that way was that he knew how much progress Jackson had made, and he knew that he had that group of returning players on defense (Kelsey, Harvey-Clemons and Fields, specifically) that gave him a great chance to win the ACC.

So the team bought into that goal of winning the ACC and making the playoffs and was "all-in" for that goal. What happened mid-season was that we lost the heartbreaker at Clemson. From that point on, the team's performance was erratic - easy wins against NC State and Boston College, struggles against Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest .... The team's focus was not just on the next opponent, but also on hoping that Clemson would lose two games to hand the ACC Division title to Louisville, but that didn't happen.

And when we beat Wake Forest to clinch a tie with Clemson but then were passed over by Ohio State and failed to make the CFP top four, the players (and coaches) realized that the dream of making the CFP as an at large was truly dead. It was at that point that all the "sacrificing for the good of the team" stopped. I can specifically point to Harvey-Clemons as the difference-maker on that defense who disappeared after the Wake Forest game.

It's not too baffling to me.... Preseason, Petrino knew he had the type of team that could compete for a national championship, and he said as much at the ACC media days. The reason he felt that way was that he knew how much progress Jackson had made, and he knew that he had that group of returning players on defense (Kelsey, Harvey-Clemons and Fields, specifically) that gave him a great chance to win the ACC.

So the team bought into that goal of winning the ACC and making the playoffs and was "all-in" for that goal. What happened mid-season was that we lost the heartbreaker at Clemson. From that point on, the team's performance was erratic - easy wins against NC State and Boston College, struggles against Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest .... The team's focus was not just on the next opponent, but also on hoping that Clemson would lose two games to hand the ACC Division title to Louisville, but that didn't happen.

And when we beat Wake Forest to clinch a tie with Clemson but then were passed over by Ohio State and failed to make the CFP top four, the players (and coaches) realized that the dream of making the CFP as an at large was truly dead. It was at that point that all the "sacrificing for the good of the team" stopped. I can specifically point to Harvey-Clemons as the difference-maker on that defense who disappeared after the Wake Forest game.
What do you or how do you explain the offensive line.

What is being done to fix having to blitz to get pressure on with our defense?

If we do not give serious attention to the lines, we will not have a good season.

What are your thoughts?

If you look up and down your roster impartially, you'll probably see a 9-3 team staring back at you.

Lamar had a historic season and was downright fantastic for most of it, but it takes depth and elite talent in the trenches to make a push for a title. Look at Bama's O Line the last several years. Like 60% of them are playing on Sundays.

While schools like Bama, OSU, FSU, LSU, USC are bringing in 4 stars to back up better players, schools like U of L, UK, WVU, etc are doing backflips when 4 stars commit. They're playing a different game than most of us are.

I hope everyone on the team was watching last nite's game if for no other reason to confirm we can compete with the national champion.

Not sure what the rest of this thread accomplishes except to also confirm that we're all over the place on our theories and fixes for how the season played out. It's Petrino's job to solve our problems, and I'm optimistic he can. Beyond that, no one has a good read IMO on exactly what to do...

Reactions: beasleythecard
I hope everyone on the team was watching last nite's game if for no other reason to confirm we can compete with the national champion.

Not sure what the rest of this thread accomplishes except to also confirm that we're all over the place on our theories and fixes for how the season played out. It's Petrino's job to solve our problems, and I'm optimistic he can. Beyond that, no one has a good read IMO on exactly what to do...

Recruit better players is the answer. Well, sign better players is the more accurate one.

Looking at a college football season in the vacuum of a single game performance doesn't work. Hell, UK beat an eventual champ one year and nobody was under the illusion that they were even close to really competing for a title. By that logic, Pitt is also right there.

Recruit better players is the answer. Well, sign better players is the more accurate one.

Looking at a college football season in the vacuum of a single game performance doesn't work. Hell, UK beat an eventual champ one year and nobody was under the illusion that they were even close to really competing for a title. By that logic, Pitt is also right there.
I honestly believe we need to get better linemen and hire a coach to coach them.
I also believe nick should be unpaid on staff and volunteer so we can hire another coach with experience to help the team all around.

Clemson and bama has staffs full of ex coaches. Volunteers and helpers.

Gee, I thought this was going to be hard!

Just go out and make better kids sign with us instead of Bama, LSU, etc.. Bet CBP never thought of that. :rolleyes:

That's the conundrum though for programs at that 2nd/3rd tier trying to break through. You guys have done a fantastic job getting close and have a seat at one of the nice tables. Getting the seat at the captain's table is tough. You solved the conference affiliation problem with the ACC move, you've got a top 10 coach and the best AD in the country - that's a foundation most schools can't dream of.

Reactions: beasleythecard
What do you or how do you explain the offensive line.

What is being done to fix having to blitz to get pressure on with our defense?

If we do not give serious attention to the lines, we will not have a good season.

What are your thoughts?

I've maintained for a while that the players to fix the offensive line are already in the program in the form of Chandler Jones and Kenny Thomas, to go with McNeil and Christian. I believe Robbie Bell has been recruited specifically to step in at center - one can only hope that he is this decade's Eric Wood.

Also, part of the problem with the offensive line is actually Lamar Jackson's fault for failing to adjust the blocking scheme to account for the pass rush. He should get better at that in his third year.

Not sure what to tell you about the defensive line. When you play great teams with great coaches like we do now at least three times per year, they will have their offensive blocking schemes prepared to handle our blitzes. At that point, it's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's, which is to say that we have to recruit more Devonte Fields and Josh Harvey-Clemons on that side of the ball - the types of players who have the ability to defeat a one-on-one block and make a defensive play.

I remain skeptical about whether the defensive talent we have been recruiting under Petrino is as good as what we had under Strong.

I've maintained for a while that the players to fix the offensive line are already in the program in the form of Chandler Jones and Kenny Thomas, to go with McNeil and Christian. I believe Robbie Bell has been recruited specifically to step in at center - one can only hope that he is this decade's Eric Wood.

Also, part of the problem with the offensive line is actually Lamar Jackson's fault for failing to adjust the blocking scheme to account for the pass rush. He should get better at that in his third year.

Not sure what to tell you about the defensive line. When you play great teams with great coaches like we do now at least three times per year, they will have their offensive blocking schemes prepared to handle our blitzes. At that point, it's more about the Jimmy's and Joe's, which is to say that we have to recruit more Devonte Fields and Josh Harvey-Clemons on that side of the ball - the types of players who have the ability to defeat a one-on-one block and make a defensive play.

I remain skeptical about whether the defensive talent we have been recruiting under Petrino is as good as what we had under Strong.
I believe you make the most sence out of our real position.
Would like to see just how many we redshirted yhis past season and if there is any movement.

Our best cover corner was recruited as a wide receiver.

Hope we have a mix of linemen that are athletic and capable of moving well.

Also we may need to look at how other schools are hiring head coached to be film coordinator and see how we can get more experience on our sideline.

I believe this is the most important offseason in louisville football history.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
It was three long paragraphs. Stick to Twitter.
I'll take it under advisement. Thank you. Small itty bitty problem though. I don't do twitter. Don't do facebook. Don't do snapchat, or facetime, or any of the social media stuff other than this message board. I have more important things in my life that consumes my time. This place is nothing but a distraction from real life.

I'll take it under advisement. Thank you. Small itty bitty problem though. I don't do twitter. Don't do facebook. Don't do snapchat, or facetime, or any of the social media stuff other than this message board. I have more important things in my life that consumes my time. This place is nothing but a distraction from real life.
Just do FaceSlap at the mirror, you will be fine!

I'm not sure he's being allowed to do so,or CBP doesn't trust him to.Either way,there has to be an expansion of LJ's duties at the line of scrimmage,including knowing where his hot receiver is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT