ADVERTISEMENT

Cards up to New Years 6, don't let it go to your heads guys

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
North Carolina was the victim of a stunning upset Saturday as the Tar Heels fell at home to last place Virginia, 31-27, knocking UNC out of the Orange Bowl in this week's bowl projections. Louisville is now projected as the ACC representative for that game.

The Cardinals are the significant change this week, though Washington nearly fell out as well as well. The Huskies had to fight last place Arizona State to the wire, but they ultimately held on for a 15-7 home win. Virginia's victory was its first over an FBS opponent this season, and it came against a top 10 team on the road. Arizona State almost accomplished that same feat.

Texas had to work hard to get a 31-24 victory at Houston, though it remains No. 4 in the College Football Playoff projection. Longhorns quarterback Quinn Ewers left with a shoulder injury in the third quarter. Texas hosts BYU next Saturday.

Ohio State is still projected as Louisville's opponent in the Orange Bowl following a 20-6 win at home over Penn State that was more dominant than the score would indicate. However, the Nittany Lions are still expected to meet Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

For the first time in about a month, I have the same team representing the Group of Five in the New Year's Six. Air Force holds onto that spot for another week following a 17-6 win over Navy.

College Football Playoff​

Date Game / Loc. Matchup Prediction
Jan. 8 National Championship
Houston
Title game Semifinal winners
Jan. 1
Sugar Bowl
New Orleans
Semifinal
(1) Georgia vs. (4) Texas
Jan. 1 Rose Bowl
Pasadena, Calif.
Semifinal (2) Michigan vs. (3) Florida State

New Year's Six bowl games​

Date Bowl / Location Matchup Prediction
Jan. 1 Fiesta Bowl
Glendale, Ariz.
at-large vs. at-large Washington vs. Air Force
Dec. 30 Orange Bowl
Miami
ACC vs. SEC/B1G/ND Louisville vs. Ohio State
Dec. 30 Peach Bowl
Atlanta
at-large vs. at-large Alabama vs. Penn State
Dec. 29 Cotton Bowl
Arlington, Tex.
at-large vs. at-large Oregon vs. Oklahoma
Last week, I wrote that Iowa could not play in the Citrus Bowl because of the Big Ten's no-repeat rule for its bowl games. It turns out that the rule applies only to the team most recently in that game. In other words: Purdue cannot play in that game this season, but Iowa, the 2021 participant, is still eligible.

However, the league rule for most of its bowl games states that they will have at least five different teams over the six-year contract period. This is the fourth year of that deal. If Iowa were to play in the Citrus Bowl this season, It would mean that the Hawkeyes, along with the Boilermakers and Northwestern, would be locked out for the remainder of the contract term.

Oddly, Wisconsin is not eligible for two of the Big Ten bowls this season because the Badgers are the most recent participant in the Guaranteed Rate (2022) and Las Vegas (2021) bowls. Iowa is not projected in the Citrus Bowl again this week, but this time it is because of the Hawkeyes' 12-10 loss at home to Minnesota on Saturday.

If you have watched James Madison this season, you have likely heard the announcers whine relentlessly about the fact that the Dukes are not eligible for the postseason despite being 7-0 after their win at Marshall. JMU -- like Sam Houston and Jacksonville State -- is in its second year of transition from FCS to FBS. As such, none of the three are eligible for postseason play. Kennesaw State is in its first year of transition this season.

However, the rules for filling bowl games when there are not enough eligible teams give them a chance at the postseason. Teams in the second year of transition with a 6-6 record or better are in line ahead of 5-7 teams when it comes to filling the bowl games. That is why I've had James Madison projected to a bowl game for most of this season.

Reactions: uoflcardsfan
If we end up in the OB vs tOSU that would be fantastic, though we would be like a 30 point dog.

Losing OL Brown for the season, and hearing Jordan is still nursing the hamstring makes the task more challenging; with that said, there is not a single football team in America that has not experienced injuries.

Play one game at a time ……… just ask UNC what happens when you start thinking ahead.

If this UL team can get healthy, and remain so through out the rest of this season, we will be capable of beating every team left on our schedule. I am not sure all UL fans have come to recognize just how special Jordan is, and how much difference he can make in a football game.

Thrash was a game-time decision, and I believe the combination of the rain and his wrist injury affected his performance at Pitt as well. Our margin of victory has been narrow all season, and as witnessed at PItt, this UL team can ill afford to be without our key players. Depth is a problem for a lot of teams, and this UL roster is no exception.

Reactions: Mayoman
IF we play in the ACC Championship game and win it, shouldn’t that place us in the top non playoff bowl game? If the Orange Bowl is the top non playoff bowl game I apologize.

Team has some injuries and the Miami game does get played the week before the UK game. I'm just hoping the Cards win this week but the look ahead is understandable.

Look at all these 🤡’s referring to 2014 when Miami wasn’t any good. The last 2 times we played them that wasn’t 10 years ago they stomped us. What if I put the overall record vs Miami? It would be sorta like pulling up games from 10 years ago. Like I said be realistic even if you can’t.

Look at all these 🤡’s referring to 2014 when Miami wasn’t any good. The last 2 times we played them that wasn’t 10 years ago they stomped us. What if I put the overall record vs Miami? It would be sorta like pulling up games from 10 years ago. Like I said be realistic even if you can’t.

They beat us in 2020. Big deal. The only guy for Miami that gained yardage in that game and is still on the roster had 10 yards in that game. The results from 2014 matter as much or as little as 2020.

They beat us in 2020. Big deal. The only guy for Miami that gained yardage in that game and is still on the roster had 10 yards in that game. The results from 2014 matter as much or as little as 2020.
They put up 99 on us in years 19 and 20 and we are going to just waltz in their place and beat them? 😂

They put up 99 on us in years 19 and 20 and we are going to just waltz in their place and beat them? 😂
BC beat us by 1 in 2022 and we beat them by 28 in 2023 so who the f knows. Right now based on the data we have, all known computer models indicate that there is a better than 50% chance we will waltz in there and beat them.

We’ve already proven we can’t play away from Louisville. Idk why anyone thinks we can beat our toughest road opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT