ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Danilo Jovanovich, 6'8 PF, Update...Signs With Cards

I am not concerned about the 13th guy. I am more concerned in his NBA philosophy will work at this level.

The little bit I watched of this kid he fits. Comfortable with the ball, backing defenders down and decent shot. Not sure Athletically he fits but when has anyone gone 13 deep

I am not concerned about the 13th guy. I am more concerned in his NBA philosophy will work at this level.

The little bit I watched of this kid he fits. Comfortable with the ball, backing defenders down and decent shot. Not sure Athletically he fits but when has anyone gone 13 deep
It's more that this team desperately needs experience and/or immediate high impact players if we hope to make the tournament.

Danilo, a redshirt freshman preferred walk on at Miami, doesn't move the needle in either of those directions.

At least fill the damn roster out with guards. I don’t think Bevin could be happier with our choice of a coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 73Card
At this point the roster is OK. I don’t think an experienced back up point guard makes it great. It just makes us feel better. Landing White and McKenzie makes this roster really good.

There is so much bad information on Twitter and boards it is hard to determine what were the real options. Did the staff just turn McKnight away or was McKnight turned off by Clark’s commitment?

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
At least fill the damn roster out with guards.
Like cycle said, Payne isn't interested in bringing in traditional guards. He wants to use wings around 6'6 or taller to handle the ball.

Paynes actions speak on this as he has only had visits with Luis and now White who are more wings than guards.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
I don’t think KP is out thinking the room but he is determined to do it his way. This isn’t a dribble drive or isolation offense. I would say he is more in line with Scotty D offense than anything. More ball and player movement. Passing, screening and player movement.

Fans are never going to buy into his philosophy until they see it work. We all have our doubts. It literally is watch out if works or doesn’t either way it will be a glorious success or failure.

This kid isn’t a bum he looks like he has a nice shot.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I think when KP pulled the trigger on this kid he had the gun pointed directly at his own foot. I see no reason to add a kid like this unless no other options were available. Maybe proof of this is that it seems the last trip to Africa has come up empty.

Our team, right now looks like a golf bag filled with one wedge and a bunch of three woods! Not gonna work so well. I predict another long, dull, cold winter.

I don’t think KP is out thinking the room but he is determined to do it his way. This isn’t a dribble drive or isolation offense. I would say he is more in line with Scotty D offense than anything. More ball and player movement. Passing, screening and player movement.

Fans are never going to buy into his philosophy until they see it work. We all have our doubts. It literally is watch out if works or doesn’t either way it will be a glorious success or failure.

This kid isn’t a bum he looks like he has a nice shot
I don’t see any resemblance to Bellarmines Offense whatsoever!

Reactions: jmac1029
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Reactions: OldhamCard335
I think when KP pulled the trigger on this kid he had the gun pointed directly at his own foot. I see no reason to add a kid like this unless no other options were available. Maybe proof of this is that it seems the last trip to Africa has come up empty.

Our team, right now looks like a golf bag filled with one wedge and a bunch of three woods! Not gonna work so well. I predict another long, dull, cold winter.
payne will get the program winning this time after Christmas

If Clark isn’t good or gets hurt then they have a big problem. If he stays healthy and is good then this will work. Miller can give them 5-7 minutes. I am with everyone not getting a legit backup is a head scratcher.

The concern is the roster spot wasn't expected to be used to fill the 13th man role. The roster is incredibly young. Still 2 spots left hopefully those are given to guys that can help the team immediately. In a prior era the roster would look fine, you could take a few of these projects and nice prospects and know you could build them up and by year 3 or maybe even starting in year 2 start to get some real good results. But now with the portal you just can't be sure anyone is returning for the year 2.

This thing is a long rebuild and it is being handled as such. We'll see how it goes.

If I recall, we had one of the youngest rosters last season. I believe we are even younger now. This team will have to find leadership somewhere.

Reactions: shadow force
Experience is a legit concern. Bringing in multiple projects isn't the answer in our current situation. Payne has to fill the last two spots with quality experience and/or immediate high impact guys. This current roster is super young to go along with a 2nd year head coach.

it's still amazing that we have a top 10 recruiting class.

instead of getting some junk transfers, KP went for some homeruns with Mackenzie Mgabako and Carter Bryant. he got really close to landing them.
we have to accept that it's a multi year rebuild. this really young team is going to very good in the second year.

it's still amazing that we have a top 10 recruiting class.

instead of getting some junk transfers, KP went for some homeruns with Mackenzie Mgabako and Carter Bryant. he got really close to landing them.
we have to accept that it's a multi year rebuild. this really young team is going to very good in the second year.
We aren’t Boston College, the rebuild should be instant. Our coaching staff may need multiple years to learn wtf they are doing though.

This will be a replay of last year. We may win a couple of more games or not.

You have to decide what you want. He landed Flowers and Clark. As soon as Clark committed McKnight was off the board. As soon as Flowers reclassified and said he was a 1-2-3 recruiting a veteran productive backup was off the table. Mike James coming back impacted it as well.

When is the last time a consistent rotation was bigger than 7-8 players? You just don’t see it.

PG-Clark-Miller
SG-James, Flowers, Davis
SF-Flowers, Williams, Danilo
PF-JJ, Glynn, BHH, Danilo
C-Okafor, Evans, BHH

Tell me what veteran instant impact guy is going to start? White and RJ make sense in the 3-4 spot but totally understand their hesitation. McKenzie clearly improves the PF spot but folks Glynn is no slouch and JJ could take another step.

There is flexibility of every position except 1-PG. Clark goes down the season is lost. I think they thought they had it with the kid from Washington. The kid from LSU went to ECU to start. Can they find a better option than Miller or at least a comparable guy that can run the point in case the worse happens?

You have to decide what you want. He landed Flowers and Clark. As soon as Clark committed McKnight was off the board. As soon as Flowers reclassified and said he was a 1-2-3 recruiting a veteran productive backup was off the table. Mike James coming back impacted it as well.

When is the last time a consistent rotation was bigger than 7-8 players? You just don’t see it.

PG-Clark-Miller
SG-James, Flowers, Davis
C-Okafor, Evans, BHH

Tell me what veteran instant impact guy is going to start? White and RJ make sense in the 3-4 spot but totally understand their hesitation. McKenzie clearly improves the PF spot but folks Glynn is no slouch and JJ could take another step.

There is flexibility of every position except 1-PG. Clark goes down the season is lost. I think they thought they had it with the kid from Washington. The kid from LSU went to ECU to start. Can they find a better option than Miller or at least a comparable guy that can run the point in case the worse happens?
Clark, James, and Flowers cannot play 40 minutes each. They probably combine for roughly 85-90, which currently leaves 30-35 to split between guys you already have (Glenn, Miler, Williams, Zan, Davis).

Or, they find a G in the portal for 20-30 min and the new player would probably also cut into the "big3", allowing the others you already have a shot to still compete for those remaining minutes, which is what they were probably selling to the WA kid and all the others they are whiffing on.

Maybe you are right and that scenario isn't enough to lure a guy in for a 4-28 program. Could be the issue yeah. But it's still roughly 25 min role which is pretty much starter min. Whatever is being sold isn't being bought, We see multiple programs over stocking so there's more to all this than PT.

We're just going to have to wait to see who is getting the final spots before knowing the rotation. If they find a gem there's enough min to give. If it's a lower ring back of roster type like the Danilo, then there's going to be guys getting minutes that are presumably weak. (Miller, Davis, Danilo, even Zan).

To be clear I get it this is a long rebuild. But what's on paper as of now doesn't really look competitive. But there's still time and I could be wrong about all this.

Rebuilding the rosters will be done annually.

Let’s stick with Clark stays healthy and is good which is how any kid would look at this situation. Ideally there is 8 minutes a game available at point guard. If there is more available time that isn’t going to be good. What legit PG is going to sign up for that? It would almost have to be a freshman or a veteran guard that is playing as back up currently.

I think the main issue for fans is Mike James wasn’t great with the ball and everyone else, even Flowers, is an unknown. It is strange because no one wanted Mike James to leave but boy they don’t trust he can play the 2.

Building rosters in this environment is going to be extremely challenging. It is going to drive fans nuts.

Another point is, why burn a scholarship on a project like Danilo at this time? There are still players entering the portal even now. If they strike out on everyone else, chances are a guy like this will still be available. In other words he ain't going anywhere and UofL could grab him as a last resort.

I do agree with that unless the missed on RJ and White. As short as White’s visit was the timing might not be that strange.

Rebuilding the rosters will be done annually.

Let’s stick with Clark stays healthy and is good which is how any kid would look at this situation. Ideally there is 8 minutes a game available at point guard. If there is more available time that isn’t going to be good. What legit PG is going to sign up for that?

The staff put a lot of effort into recruiting Keyon Menifield and Tyler Perry. Probably other PG/CGs too. Are you saying the staff wasted their time doing that?

Multiple ball handlers can play together. It doesn't have to be a pure PG brought in, it could have been a CG guard. One could dominate usage while the other was resting and the two could also play together. Many teams go 3 guard as well.

Ellis played 36 last yr. They couldn't steal 4 min with Miller and Fabio but now we hope they can steal 8 with Miller and Davis.

Let's see what they get with the final 2 spots, and then let's see what their projection is in the ACC once the roster is done.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. I am explaining reasons why they didn’t get them. The WA kid was either misinformation or changed his mind late. Perry was never coming here. McKnight was another one. People are suggesting they whiffed or didn’t try without looking at the current landscape.

I agree multiple ball handlers can play together. Finding someone that is legit to play 10-11 minutes a game is not easy or likely IMO. Even if you get them you are losing them the next year. I think if Mike James transferred or Flowers didn’t commit this isn’t an issue

Ellis is a good example of the challenges. He was exactly what they needed but he wanted to be the guy. As soon as Clark committed his entire tone changed toward Louisville.

Jeff Walz has said he isn’t taking the full allotment of schlorship players because there isn’t enough time to keep everyone happy. It is going to be really challenging.

PG-Clark-Miller
SG-James, Flowers, Davis
C-Okafor, Evans, BHH

Clark committed more than two weeks before McKnight went searching. Our lack of urgency is either arrogance or not working hard enough. Recruiting is a seven day a week twelve hours a day by every coach on the team and other staff. Need a general manager kind of person to focus on roster.

I agree multiple ball handlers can play together. Finding someone that is legit to play 10-11 minutes a game is not easy or likely IMO. Even if you get them you are losing them the next year. I think if Mike James transferred or Flowers didn’t commit this isn’t an issue

Ellis is a good example of the challenges. He was exactly what they needed but he wanted to be the guy. As soon as Clark committed his entire tone changed toward Louisville.
So you are telling me when they were recruiting Menefield they were telling him 10-11 minutes would be available to him, but that wasn't a waste of time recruiting him under those circumstances?

If they were recruiting Menefield they were not offering him 10-11 minutes. That would make absolutely zero sense. If they were only offering him 10-11 min, they were wasting their time recruiting him, he is a T10 Portal guard.

They recruited Menifield certainly offering him starter's minutes. If they were trying to convince him to take 10-11 minutes per game they are idiots wasting their time.

So you either think they are idiots or you aren't thinking this through and they actually have more minutes available for a transfer guard than you think. Wherever he goes he's going to have another good player playing guard with him. His issue is probably better NIL in SEC, currently much better program, and higher usage potential, sure.

Ellis wanted to be the guy so badly he went to a program that brought in 6 other guards.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow force
Where were those minutes coming from it had to be someone. That is all I am saying. He didn’t come here keep that in mind and we don’t know if he ever was coming here.

Clark committed more than two weeks before McKnight went searching. Our lack of urgency is either arrogance or not working hard enough. Recruiting is a seven day a week twelve hours a day by every coach on the team and other staff. Need a general manager kind of person to focus on roster.
McKnight was linked to Louisville by some well before he hit the portal. The Louisville vibe stopped almost immediately when he hit the portal.

You are right it is 24-7 now what proof do you have they haven’t been. I agree on the GM part or an analytics guy but that only means the GM is going to satisfy what the head coach wants not what the fans want.

Where were those minutes coming from it had to be someone. That is all I am saying. He didn’t come here keep that in mind and we don’t know if he ever was coming here.
He didn't come here but they invested a lot of time recruiting him per multiple sources. We made his very short list. So the minutes were there, or the staff is stupid and wasted their time, it's one or the other.

Your theory is fine but the recruitment of a T10 portal guard tells you that the minutes were there and still are. Falling back on Miller and Davis is plan B if they can't get a guy.

They are now really trying for Tre White who can handle some but still not an initiate the O kind of guy. He's not a T10 level portal so he isn't going to command 25 min but if he comes here who knows he might get it. Yes they are looking at creating mismatches with all the 6-5 to 6-7 pieces. I hope it works.

120 minutes for 3 spots ....Clark 30, James 25, Flowers 25, Glenn 10-15 - this leaves you 20 - 25 minutes for a decent G out of the portal. You're still left with a few minutes to look at Williams, Davis and even reward walkon types like Miller and Zan to annoy fans.

I hope they land White.

We are splitting hairs. I know they wanted a talented back up PG. My theory is sound until they land a Top transfer 10 guard to back up Clark. Just because they went after someone doesn’t mean that player liked or bought their plan. It almost would have to be a combo guard. Ellis was a perfect fit just not to Ellis.

I agree White and Luis both makes sense because they can play the 2-3. I do think there is starting time available at the 2 or 3 since they are interchangeable. I see Glynn as more a 4. Williams is a 2-3 but may need a year. Davis is a huge question mark probably needs a year.

We are splitting hairs. I know they wanted a talented back up PG. My theory is sound until they land a Top transfer 10 guard to back up Clark. Just because they went after someone doesn’t mean that player liked or bought their plan. It almost would have to be a combo guard. Ellis was a perfect fit just not to Ellis.

I agree White and Luis both makes sense because they can play the 2-3. I do think there is starting time available at the 2 or 3 since they are interchangeable. I see Glynn as more a 4. Williams is a 2-3 but may need a year. Davis is a huge question mark probably needs a year.
Nobody is arguing they can get a backup PG from the T10 out of the portal to play 10 min for the team you're real close to pushing a straw man argument. Your theory seemed to be there are no minutes for another ball handling guard. My point remains if they had no minutes for a quality ball handling guard out of the portal they would not have pursued Menifield who is a T10 guy.

The goal was to clearly play Menifield and Clark together a lot, and use one to rest the other. This isn't all that complicated. They could have 4 guys for 3 big spots basically.

You don't seem to want to concede this. You are either pretending they didn't go after the dude, or failing to concede what role they were offering the dude. They didn't try to convince him to be a backup. If they did, they are fools. The point isn't that they did or did not get him. The point is they had the minutes available for him to try to get him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT