ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Danilo Jovanovich, 6'8 PF, Update...Signs With Cards

I said they needed a combo guard and agree White and Luis would be a good fit. I know the coaches want another ball handling guard that is obvious. That doesn’t mean veteran players that are used to playing 28-35 minutes are willing to take a back up role.

It hard to argue my theory when we are seeing players transfer all over the place looking to be the guy plus earn NIL. Why a player like Cam Jones leave LSU after playing backup to come to Louisville to be a backup when he can start for ECU? Why would McKnight come to Louisville to be a backup when he can be the starting PG at Xavier? Pettway leaves Kansas to be the guy somewhere else. Ellis by all accounts leaves because he didn’t want take on a different role with less minutes. I can go all day long with examples.

It is free agency and the players have all the leverage.

Reactions: Steel Card
Thecycle27 you're just doing a straw man argument. People are not expecting top level players to come play 10 min as a backup for a team coming off a 4-28 season. You continue an imaginary argument for reasons only you know.

The bottom line being posted to you is there are 20-30 minutes available for a quality player to play alongside Clark at times, and back him up when he rests at other times. The team could play 3 guards in stretches with that new CG that they have failed to bring in as of today, James or Flowers, and Clark all on the floor at the same time. That is why the staff recruited T10 Menifield. You continue to ignore this. I don't know why. The 120 minutes divided up works for 4 players to cover 3 spots and even leaves some room for others if the staff is truly playing positionless basketball.

They did not recruit T10 Menifield to be a backup for 10 minutes per game. Maybe if I make that bold type it will reach you. Probably not. You seem to dismiss that recruitment and the meaning of it for reasons only you understand. Your response to that has been he didn't come here, which is not the point. The point is the minutes are available, if they weren't they wouldn't have recruited him.

No biggie. We are in circles. You straw man argue, I say something else, you straw man argue some more.

Maybe they don't even need another primary ball handler. The outlook would probably be more promising if they had one. We'll see what they are projected to finish, and then where they finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldhamCard335
Straw man isn’t correct I am not misrepresenting your points. People have been screaming for veteran players and with this roster it is very challenging to acquire. I have explained why I believe that to be true.

It is a good point of discussion. No right or wrong answer until the games are actually played.

And yet other teams have had great success attracting good talent from the portal. Seems they would have the same issues that Cycle points out. Best case in point is Arkansas. How many guards did they get?

Reactions: rh62531
They lost their entire back court 1-3 didn’t they. They also lost freshman guards to the portal. The Ellis and Menifeld will probably be starters which is exactly my point.

Ellis, Menifield, Mack, Battle. Not exactly crowded back court when you have no one at the 1-2-3.

Last edited:
Straw man isn’t correct I am not misrepresenting your points. People have been screaming for veteran players and with this roster it is very challenging to acquire. I have explained why I believe that to be true.

It is a good point of discussion. No right or wrong answer until the games are actually played.
My point isn't focused on getting a veteran necessarily. My point is they have minutes to give for an impact player that knows how to dribble the ball and to some extent lead an offense for short periods of a game if required while Skyy rests, while also playing alongside him. It could be a SOPH, it could be a 4th year guy. Maybe they believe they do not need that, and maybe they don't. Once those high ceiling guys like Menifield chose another maybe it does not matter.

Let's get 2 gems with these last two spots.

They lost their entire back court 1-3 didn’t they. They also lost freshman guards to the portal. The Ellis and Menifeld will probably be starters which is exactly my point.

Ellis, Menifield, Mack, Battle. Not exactly crowded back court when you have no one at the 1-2-3.
Arky also added Jeremiah Davenport from Cincy who played 25 min per there for 9ppg and 4 reb per. They also pulled 5* Laydon Blocker who is a PG.

It looks crowded. That's 6 guys for 3 spots. They might slide Davenport to the 4 if they do that it's 5 guys for 3 spots. You're telling us UofL can't have 4 guys for 3 spots which is all I'm asking for :)

Maybe somebody abandons ship before the season starts. But as of today, that's a crowd.

All that said Arky basketball is probably flushing more NIL $ into it and that very well might be a bottom line. That and they have just played successful style for a few years with their HC now, their brand is set. Our brand is currently dumpster fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldhamCard335
Arkansas is definitely killing it. Interesting see how it plays out for them. Ellis and Davis still have to make NBA decisions.

Never said Louisville can’t land players only that it will be challenging given the current roster. We will see what they do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT