ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Search Developments

Thanks for the update.

What about option #1 (Drew)? I guess you could draw your own conclusions:

1. It ain’t happening
2. He’s already talked to Drew and he is mulling it over.
3. It was a smokescreen to make Heird look better

Wouldn’t Drew be the first guy you talk to if you were serious about trying to hire him?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

1. It ain’t happening

Wouldn’t Drew be the first guy you talk to if you were serious about trying to hire him?

I’d say #2 is closest to the truth but keep in mind these things aren’t linear, especially with the teams still alive. Also there is a lot of game theory at play by these agents. Schertz’s agent knows his client is meeting with Louisville. Well lo and behold a media reports that St. Louis U is targeting Schertz. I’m guess his agent leaked that. Same goes with UofL and Drew - you are our top target but hey we have options and are pursuing those. If we stay completely linear then Drew would have all the leverage.

Reactions: Louisvillian
“Louisville is prepared to make Scott Drew the 3rd highest paid coach in college basketball” - Mike Rutherford

Pure speculation on my part here. But if we have a shot at a squeaky clean coach with great credentials, why not make him our first choice.

Not admitting the strippers in dorms, coaches involved in restaurant sex, university academic accreditation and more financial shenanigans/ nepotism than the New Chapel Fire and Ambulance service also cost us high dollar sponsors is an agenda driven bit of lunacy.

Pure speculation on my part here. But if we have a shot at a squeaky clean coach with great credentials, why not make him our first choice.

Not admitting the strippers in dorms, coaches involved in restaurant sex, university academic accreditation and more financial shenanigans/ nepotism than the New Chapel Fire and Ambulance service also cost us high dollar sponsors is an agenda driven bit of lunacy.
Drew is the first choice.

Just think... Scott Drew or one of the other top candidates, with $3M+ in NIL money available. LOI's aren't worth the paper they're written on anymore, plus Portal guys will take notice of that level of financial commitment along with a proven coach.

This season was a disaster and failure, but we could have a very exciting future ahead!

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Thanks for the update.

1. It ain’t happening

If you were serious about him, you would talk only to him, until he tells you he is not interested.

If you were serious about him, you would talk only to him, until he tells you he is not interested.

We are serious about him. And yet it’s possible and makes sense to have a thorough search in case he says no. I’m pretty confident the Drew camp is not offended that we are covering multiple bases. It’s pretty simple - he could say yes and then Heird wouldn’t have to waste his time with other interviews.

From Crawford:

I’ll also say that I still have in the “next guys up” position, Dusty May and Mick Cronin.And this is just my personal opinion — not based on any new intel — that the longer this goes, the more possible it becomes that Eric Musselman drifts back into the picture.A lot of people have asked about Shaka Smart. Heard today, second-hand, that he’s not looking to leave Marquette.

And then there’s a whole group of coaches out there who are, no doubt, good coaches, but who haven’t won in the NCAA Tournament.

This is just me, but I think most of those are a roll of the dice. And I don’t really think this is a hire where you can roll the dice. The last hire, you could (and Louisville did, and lost). Josh Schertz of Indiana State, would be in this group.Shaheen Holloway (a name I was told is worth watching yesterday) lost to Rick Pitino today in the Big East Tournament.

Obviously today, Chris Beard (who I didn’t think Louisville would pursue) signed an extension at Ole Miss. Lamont Paris of South Carolina signed one with South Carolina.So, we wait.

We are serious about him. And yet it’s possible and makes sense to have a thorough search in case he says no. I’m pretty confident the Drew camp is not offended that we are covering multiple bases. It’s pretty simple - he could say yes and then Heird wouldn’t have to waste his time with other interviews.
Covering bases is one thing, but a guy who has won a National Championship is not likely to be impressed if he is not certain that the job is his if he wants it. You act to cover bases in case he says no, and he needs to know that is your position.

A guy like Drew is unlikely to give an answer until his teams eliminated from play this year.

I’ve got a feeling (no info) that Dusty May will end up being our guy. To me, he checks all the boxes unless you’re worried about him going to Bloomington down the road.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I’ve got a feeling (no info) that Dusty May will end up being our guy. To me, he checks all the boxes unless you’re worried about him going to Bloomington down the road.
If it's May and he's successful here he might not want to leave. I'm sure it's a question Heird will ask him if interviewed. But if he does then make IU pay a ton of money to get him.

Covering bases is one thing, but a guy who has won a National Championship is not likely to be impressed if he is not certain that the job is his if he wants it. You act to cover bases in case he says no, and he needs to know that is your position.

A guy like Drew is unlikely to give an answer until his teams eliminated from play this year.
I thought I was clear on this but maybe not. Drew knows the job is his if he wants it.

1. Pretty sure Drew and/or his agent are fully aware that he is the number 1 target. It’s been reported in lots of places.
2. Knowing this, why would Drew be offended if UL interviews other candidates if the deal with Drew has not been settled?
3. Your last statement is a given. Drew won’t/shouldn’t give an answer before his team is eliminated. In the mean time it would seem to be due diligence for UL to explore all possibilities.

BTW, with the word “blue” in your screen name, I have to ask. UK fan?

1. Pretty sure Drew and/or his agent are fully aware that he is the number 1 target. It’s been reported in lots of places.
2. Knowing this, why would Drew be offended if UL interviews other candidates if the deal with Drew has not been settled?
3. Your last statement is a given. Drew won’t/shouldn’t give an answer before his team is eliminated. In the mean time it would seem to be due diligence for UL to explore all possibilities.

BTW, with the word “blue” in your screen name, I have to ask. UK fan?
I hated UK before I ever went to UNC. My father worked as an adminsitrator for the VA, and he was stationed at Louisville when I ws at UNC. The is when I first began to follow Louisville sports a bit, enough to know that if the athletics department got backing, it could do much more well than just men's basketball. So I was a big proponent of Louisville to the ACC as soon as Maryland was open about leaving.

Interesting that bama just lost a football coach who didn’t want to adapt to the new NIL world. Yet signed a basketball coach who has.

Juwan Howard out at Michigan. Gonna complicate the search some.
According to reports, Dusty May is at the top of their list with return to John Belein as 2nd choice. We are not alone - M, OSU and us - that will be in pursuit of Coach May with others sure to join.

I sure hope all the hoopla is right about Drew, because they got their A$$ kicked tonight. I wasn’t impressed with the style or just about anything. Not sure May’s not the better choice. Glad I don’t have to make that decision

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT