ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Construction

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Remember before the season when many posters here were concerned with the way Payne was building his 2nd roster? IIRC most of those concerns are legit so far.

Lack of guards. For the longest time Skyy was the only guard of the recruiting class. Many questioned that after only having Ellis last season. Payne tried to convince everyone that most of his multitude of forwards could pull guard duty....which it turns out they can't.

Good thing Payne lucked out getting Ty-Laur at the last moment. Could've still used one or two more guards though.

Multiple projects.
Okorafor, Koron, and Jovanovich. Many also questioned why bring in so many project guys. Koron is MIA so far and Jovanovich hasn't done anything. Would've been great to get another big with some beef to go with or back up BHH.

Reactions: BPGhost and rh62531
There are 2 big picture issues.

1 is well documented, the HC.

The other, is a lack of experience. 1 SR who is not one of the top players. A reclass JR who is up and down playing in a system that doesn't get him overly involved.

The rest are Soph and FR, and none of the FR are supposed to be high end immediate impact OAD types.

You look at the rotation yesterday, 3 guys coming off the bench, all FR.

These 2 big picture issues combine to get you beat. So for now they are competitive because there is an upgrade in talent from prior season. These guys through 8 games have shown more heart, that sort of thing.

The big question you are asking about roster construction is, was this simply all they could get? Nobody knows. Did he target a long-term plan hoping the nucleus stays with him? Or, did Jr/Sr in the portal tell him to pound sand and he took the path he was forced to go with?

Who knows? I think at this point, nobody cares anymore. Get the season over, see what the powers that be do with it.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
The big question you are asking about roster construction is, was this simply all they could get? Nobody knows. Did he target a long-term plan hoping the nucleus stays with him? Or, did Jr/Sr in the portal tell him to pound sand and he took the path he was forced to go with?

Who knows? I think at this point, nobody cares anymore. Get the season over, see what the powers that be do with it.
That's the question. Did portal upperclassmen transfers flat out turn down KP or did he actually not go after any? Either choice would honestly not surprise me.

Some fans are convinced Payne gets a 3rd year almost regardless of what he does this year. I have no idea.

Reactions: rh62531
That's the question. Did portal upperclassmen transfers flat out turn down KP or did he actually not go after any? Either choice would honestly not surprise me.

Some fans are convinced Payne gets a 3rd year almost regardless of what he does this year. I have no idea.
It's hard to say what's going to happen. We hear multiple stories anywhere from he's fired before Thanksgiving, to he's fired after the Bellarmine game if he loses, to he's fired after UK game, to he's fired after the football season is over, to he's fired immediately after the ACCT is over, to he's getting year 3.

I am with you, I have no clue.

The fans tapped out. It's highly unlikely they come back for this staff. It would take a miraculous change of direction. Looking at what's signed on going into next year, it doesn't appear he's going to be able to point to new players giving him a lift but recruiting can change with one or two new guys falling in a lap. But that would require some good fortune that hasn't happened here in a long time.

Reactions: rh62531
bashing KP constantly will turn away recruits. fans and message boards have to do better also.
Fans tapped out. Majority don't picture any future for KP here so they aren't going to change their behavior. A miraculous turn around would be interesting for alot of reasons, and one would be to see fan reaction.

But until there is a monumental change one way or another, the behavior you see will remain or get worse.

I'm also not sure how much fan behavior impacts recruiting. His recruiting class was decent and fans have been negative since the exhibition loss last year.

Reactions: BPGhost
Fans tapped out. Majority don't picture any future for KP here so they aren't going to change their behavior. A miraculous turn around would be interesting for alot of reasons, and one would be to see fan reaction.

But until there is a monumental change one way or another, the behavior you see will remain or get worse.

I'm also not sure how much fan behavior impacts recruiting. His recruiting class was decent and fans have been negative since the exhibition loss last year.
I want Payne and team to turn things around this season. I just don't think he is capable of it. If this team miraculously made the NCAA Tournament I will make a thread declaring I was wrong and that Payne can indeed coach.

I want Payne and team to turn things around this season. I just don't think he is capable of it. If this team miraculously made the NCAA Tournament I will make a thread declaring I was wrong and that Payne can indeed coach.
This team was never making the NCAAT they were predicted to run 11th in the ACC, and I think that's what I was seeing before Flowers took a hike.

A lot of our fans set the NCAAT or bust and I understand why they would believe that should always be the goal but it just didn't make sense for a team playing 1 SR, 1 JR, and a handful of Soph/Fr with a staff coming off 4-28.

IOW, he was a dead man walking to the majority before the season started and they wanted him fired after year one.

The question is going to be who is coaching the team this time next year and I don't pretend to know the answer.

If we, as fans, could see all of this then why couldn't Payne and staff? Oh and the need for at least one 3 point sharpshooter.

Between stuff like this and the bizarre pressers, it just further fuels the narrative that Payne doesn't seem to know what he's doing.

If we, as fans, could see all of this then why couldn't Payne and staff? Oh and the need for at least one 3 point sharpshooter.

Between stuff like this and the bizarre pressers, it just further fuels the narrative that Payne doesn't seem to know what he's doing.
They are probably aware of it but couldn't do much about it. We don't know who they recruited and what recruits told them. You can't duct tape these guys and force them.

The issue is probably a lack of a winning formula than it is awareness.

They needed experienced players to at least show an ability to get stops. They can't get stops.

We need to see what happens when season is over. Does admin stay with KP? How many key players exit? Etc.

This season is toast.

This team was never making the NCAAT they were predicted to run 11th in the ACC, and I think that's what I was seeing before Flowers took a hike.

A lot of our fans set the NCAAT or bust and I understand why they would believe that should always be the goal but it just didn't make sense for a team playing 1 SR, 1 JR, and a handful of Soph/Fr with a staff coming off 4-28.

IOW, he was a dead man walking to the majority before the season started and they wanted him fired after year one.

The question is going to be who is coaching the team this time next year and I don't pretend to know the answer.
Like most preseason predictions, many are based on poor years' results plus added players through transfers and freshman recruiting. Since recruiting was below average for high profile program, that in itself is huge problem for KP.

Like most preseason predictions, many are based on poor years' results plus added players through transfers and freshman recruiting. Since recruiting was below average for high profile program, that in itself is huge problem for KP.
That recruiting class would feel a lot better if it was getting mixed into an already built successful team and system that already had 4-5 players better than every new player added.

But unfortunately, not the situation. It's guys not quite good or experienced enough being needed to do things they aren't quite ready to do. Gonna be a long season. I just hope nobody gets hurt.

bashing KP constantly will turn away recruits. fans and message boards have to do better also.
Phhĥh, if you think potential players are reading message boards I don't know what to tell you, besides what's said on message boards can't hold a candle to the lack of coaching ability on full display at every game.

Simple question…if you or your son was a 4*, why would you want to come play for this coaching staff? Unless there were a buttload of NIL money waiting for you, I really can’t think of a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT