ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Search Developments

He won't hear of that. Saint Jurich and Sister Pitino did no wrong.
Would someone help me understand what's going on now?

Heird said "At the end of the day, one of the things that I think is more important than anything else, we’ve got to have somebody who is dying to coach this basketball program. I mean, they will crawl here to coach this basketball program because that’s how much it means to them. I think we can sort that out through conversations as we begin the search here."

Why offer a job to 2 people that didn't meet the criteria?

Didn't he "sort that out through conversations"?

Pathetic
Because as Tyson said, “Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth”!
First off he’s not a mind reader and secondly if I have a job that I’m comfortable with - I’m sure as hell NOT going to broadcast something I don’t know without vetting it and following my personal protocol and sniff test.
Lastly you’re dealing with people and people are unpredictable in nature and what they covet - it’s hard to go thru layers of people. Have you ever tried interviewing people in your life it’s a cluster.

Reactions: rh62531 and BPGhost
Lastly you’re dealing with people and people are unpredictable in nature and what they covet - it’s hard to go thru layers of people. Have you ever tried interviewing people in your life it’s a cluster.
Yes, I've interviewed and hired plenty of people. It IS extremely hard, but THAT is the #1 job and why so many are not good at it.

Heird voluntarily set the criteria for a new coach, but apparently can't deliver the goods.

Maybe he'll luck out and be the blind squirrel that finds a nut every once in a while anyway. I hope so.

OK…let’s cut to the chase…. Anyone on this board want to be our next coach? You’re guaranteed to be better than our last coach and if Josh strikes out one more time I’m certain he’ll come here looking for his next pool of candidates. Get those resumes polished up boys!!
Me Me Me! I was asst coach on my nephews little league team 15 years ago. Oh and I can count to 20 without taking my shoes off (don't wear socks). And umm, I'm sure I can spend the hell out of that NIL money.

Me Me Me! I was asst coach on my nephews little league team 15 years ago. Oh and I can count to 20 without taking my shoes off (don't wear socks). And umm, I'm sure I can spend the hell out of that NIL money.
Have you ever had an opposing coach "trick you"? If not,you're good to go.

No socks though. That's a deal breaker!
Sorry…disqualified. I’m reopening the position.
Qualifications:
You must never say “Fight” again.
You must be able to correctly pronounce words that have a “th” in them
You must crawl across Floyd St. at rush hour to the MBB office
You must wear socks
You must own your mistakes
You must understand the word “Defense”
You must spend every cent of available NIL money

That should do it!!
Good luck to all that apply!

Reactions: David Gilmour
Yes, I've interviewed and hired plenty of people. It IS extremely hard, but THAT is the #1 job and why so many are not good at it.

Heird voluntarily set the criteria for a new coach, but apparently can't deliver the goods.

Maybe he'll luck out and be the blind squirrel that finds a nut every once in a while anyway. I hope so.
Then you know the drill:

Recruit- (always)
Hire
Train-(constant teaching)
Direct - to the right opportunies
Manage - to your people’s strengths and their personalities

Agree it ain’t easy, but it’s part of dealing with people and their nuanced interactions .

Let’s hope we land someone that we can ALL give an opportunity to succeed.

Reactions: UKCoachesGraveyard
Real exciting numbers. UCLA was with guys he had for 6 years, which you won'tsee againin this environment. And UC was meh. He is a plodder. Won't hurt you to much but not exceptional by any means.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Real exciting numbers. UCLA was with guys he had for 6 years, which you won'tsee againin this environment. And UC was meh. He is a plodder. Won't hurt you to much but not exceptional by any means.
Here are some more "real exciting numbers" for you of other coaches named alot around here recently.

Coach W-L%

Eric Musselman 0.704
Kelvin Sampson 0.693
Will Wade 0.693
Chris Beard 0.692
Nate Oats 0.686
Pat Kelsey 0.681
Jamie Dixon 0.677
Bruce Pearl 0.671
Shaka Smart 0.669
Bryce Drew 0.65
Scott Drew 0.647
Dusty May 0.646
Jerome Tang 0.643
T.J. Otzelberger 0.635
Kevin Keatts 0.633
Buzz Williams 0.618

We’ll probably never know for sure, but I suspect these things may have come into play; 1) grew up in the Big Ten, 2) the size of the alumni base (dwarfs ours), 3) the Big Ten sports network and the money it generates, 4) potential bonuses may be larger than ours, 5) the recent turmoil, both administratively (a lot of people left that were in some prominent positions) and decline in bb attendance. I would have hired Neville Pinto as president (but Cincinnati did) and finally (this may a stretch) the murder rate in Louisville and decline of our public school system.
GO CARDS!!!

Here are some more "real exciting numbers" for you of other coaches named alot around here recently.

Coach W-L%

Eric Musselman 0.704
Kelvin Sampson 0.693
Will Wade 0.693
Chris Beard 0.692
Nate Oats 0.686
Pat Kelsey 0.681
Jamie Dixon 0.677
Bruce Pearl 0.671
Shaka Smart 0.669
Bryce Drew 0.65
Scott Drew 0.647
Dusty May 0.646
Jerome Tang 0.643
T.J. Otzelberger 0.635
Kevin Keatts 0.633
Buzz Williams 0.618
You forgot one. Cronin 479-224 0.681 And some of those guys with higher percentages haven't coached as long.

When factoring in SOS and longevity these win %'s might tell more. Don't think there's much distinguishing anyone all that much.

All might be capable. It's a crapshoot.

Kelsey is fairly high in winning % from this "frequently mentioned" list of possible candidates.

Coach W-L%

Eric Musselman 0.704
Kelvin Sampson 0.693
Will Wade 0.693
Chris Beard 0.692
Nate Oats 0.686
Pat Kelsey 0.681
Jamie Dixon 0.677
Bruce Pearl 0.671
Shaka Smart 0.669
Bryce Drew 0.65
Scott Drew 0.647