ADVERTISEMENT

A quick note on Brian VanGorder and the defense

I had a brief conversation last night with someone, who I will just identify as unbiased and with direct knowledge of the situation, and they indicated to me that they are confident the defense is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Specifically they spoke highly of new defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder and how well he has done of getting them prepared and how good of a teacher he is. Obviously there has been some uncertainty floating around (myself included) regarding just how good the defense may be this year but after having the conversation last night I am at least a bit more confident that the Cardinals will rebound from the 2017 defensive efforts.

Louisville Football player showcase notes and observations

Just got back from the Louisville Football player showcase and thought it was overall a really good event that I would love to see Louisville expand upon in the coming years. While there isn't a whole lot to be had at an event like this (yes, even less than a spring game) here are the few notable items I came away with.

- One of the first drills that were done were with punters/punt returners. Louisville was rotating a lot of guys through fielding punts such as Dez Fitzpatrick, Keion Wakefield, Tutu Atwell, Marcus Riley, Jairus Brents, Marlon Character, and Josh Johnson.

- Speaking of Josh Johnson, it was good to see him out there even though he was in the yellow no-contact jersey. Despite not being too long after a serious knee injury, he appears to be moving quite well and was running and cutting at full speed. I can definitely see where he could be ready to go before too much longer. Here is a quick clip of Johnson from tonight:
Login to view embedded media
- One guy in particular that really stood out to me in the secondary was PJ Mbanasor. He did give up a couple catches but he is big, physical and has great instincts. Of the catches he did give up, he definitely made the receivers earn them. From the looks of it, Mbanasor is going to be a big time fixture of the defense this year.

- Another young corner that seemed to always been in on plays was Anthony Johnson. He isn't necessarily the fastest guy out on the field, but Johnson is very long and was continuously getting his hands in front of receivers trying to catch the ball.

- Another guy who looks like he has made some good strides over the summer was Khane Pass. Similar to Johnson, Pass always seemed like he had his nose in the play, breaking up a pass.

- It was hard to differentiate the running backs as there was't one in particular that stood out above the others from what I saw. This isn't really a negative, I just think Louisville has several weapons at that position. Javian Hawkins was quite small but so shifty and Hassan Hall showed good wheels as well but seemed like he may need a few more pounds of muscle put on.

- I tried to watch both Jordan Travis and Malik Cunningham quite a bit in the drills tonight and I can say that I believe the competition for backup QB may be closer than I originally thought. Not because Cunningham struggled tonight at all, but Travis looked REALLY impressive out there and provided confirmation that his arm is indeed the strongest on the team. Despite the canon of an arm, the true freshman threw a very catchable ball and just overall had a good showing tonight. Here is a quick clip of Travis:
- I think the battle between Tutu Atwell and Marcus Riley at the slot receiver could be an interesting one to keep tabs on. At this point I'd put Tutu slightly in the lead because he seemed to be a little more consistent with catching the ball tonight. Regardless, both are so quick and will be fun to watch in the Petrino offense.

- There was a lot of back and forth between the offensive and defensive lines and frankly, I didn't get to see a ton of their drills. What I will tell you are two facts I came away with: #1. Mekhi Becton is still a large human being and #2. Cole Bentley is an absolute bulldozer. It was absurd how much of a brick wall Bentley was when I saw him in one on one drills tonight. I can definitely see why the coaches have been so excited about him starting at center. Tabarious Peterson had some good snaps and one in particular had his way with Kenny Thomas, although for the most part Thomas looked really good out there. Another battle that had some back and forth was Linwood Foy and Boosie Whitlow. When Foy was able to lay his hands firmly on Whitlow, Foy's strength really showed through but when Whitlow could get to the outside of Foy, Whitlow's quickness was on full display. A really fun battle between two talented players.

- One stadium expansion note:

That's all I can think of for now. Overall had a really good night out there and would love to see them continue this into next year.

Skills competition thoughts

I enjoyed the program put on tonight by the football program. Does it make up for closed practices? No, but having those bouncy castles and an autograph session bookending a practice was an unexpected treat. Here are some of my observations..

• Tutu Atwell will get some throws his way soon and often. Our DBs could not match him out of breaks. Look for him in the slot early in the year.
  • #99 Allen Love, #9 Jarrett Jackson will be in the interior DL rotation this year, Love looked polished with upperclassman technique while Jackson’s raw talent will get them some serious clock
  • Peterson, McCabe, Bootsie will be more than adequate at rush end. Bootsie Whitlow could become something special.
  • We finally have some size at CB, no more losing jump ball after jump ball on the outsides. Both Mbanasor and Rodney Burns are good sized CBs, our inability to stop the bubble screens and outside runs esp against Clemson should be over with these guys
  • Cunningham is not ready with his throws, he will be pushed by Jordan Travis for back up

Blame jcps for a lot of things but not Brents problem.

Try telling a parent that the child can grad. with on-line classes but they are not in their best
interest. Especially if is a core subject. The lawyers would be in your classroom before 1st period Did Brent ask anyone about the national accredit.of the classes?? Or did he try shortcutting the system. I work HR( B&W and P.LOR) for over 20 years you never tell someone that they failed a drug test you just never call them in.Then I went to JPCS-some parents are HELL. You quickly learn
if it not against school pol. go with the flow. Brent had some problems-did the family seek help
or did they listen to family know it alls.

Totally Off Topic -- any drummers out there? Or Led Zeppelin fans? This 8 year old chick is amazing

I saw this on FB tonight ... but it's been around for a bit, and went viral last month.

This 8 year old Japanese girl absolutely crushes this Led Zeppelin tune. And it's fun watching Robert Plant, watch video of her do it.

Anyway ... enjoy the video if you want to.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr..._source=parents_fb&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037
Reactions: Louisville Lindy

Teddy Bridgewater's Jets debut

Teddy really looked good last night, 7-8 for 85 yrds, played in the first qtr and led the jets to 10 points.He threw to 8 different receivers and moved very well. There have been rumours the jets were considering trading him based on his performances in the pre-season but I'm hoping they keep him. It was great to see Teddy handing the ball off to fellow alum Bilal Powell, all Louisville backfield

That's Solid Longevity! Wow! And this Guy is getting Up There!

K-State signs Bill Snyder to new 5-year contract

MANHATTAN, Kan. – KansasState has signed Bill Snyder to a new, more lucrative five-year contract that could keep the 78-year-old coach with the Wildcats

through the 2022 season.

Snyder’s contract already essentially rolled over each year. But the new deal increases his salary to $3.45 million this season with increases of $300,000 each of the next two, and includes a clause that allows for a salary renegotiation after the 2020 season.

He has a career record of 210-110-1, and is coming off an 8-5 season that ended with a bowl win.

Goldwire’s Addition Stabilizes the Defensive Line

Goldwire’s Addition Stabilizes the Defensive Line

Jared Goldwire was one of the nation’s top defensive line prospects.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – When the University of Louisville football program hit the recruiting trail last year, there was a glaring need for defensive linemen.

Gone were defensive ends James Hearns and Trevon Young and defensive tackles Drew Bailey and De’Asian Richardson. The returning players lacked major playing experience.

Head coach Bobby Petrino instructed his staff to scour the country for defensive line talent, and they responded with the addition of Jared Goldwire, one of the top junior-college defensive tackle prospects in the class of 2018, who has three years of eligibility.

“We were really happy when we signed him,” Petrino said. “We had to work extremely hard to get him. There were some late runs really put in there, and he got here and he had a shoulder injury. His strength started getting better all summer long. He’s got great size and movement. So it’s good to see him out there.”

Goldwire was one of eight early enrollees for the Cardinals this winter, but unfortunately for his development, he wasn’t able to compete because of an injury.

However, through six practices, the Tacoma, Washington, native made up some ground, is healthy, and ready to contribute.

“It’s humbling to come this far,” Goldwire said. “Coach Petrino really knows how to work us, but he’s such a great coach. They were understanding with me when I had to miss the spring, but I’m ready to go now.”

Heading into the second week, Goldwire has worked his way into the rotation on the defensive line and is preparing for that season opener versus Alabama.

The talented sophomore had his pick of schools coming out of Fort Scott Junior College, but chose Louisville because the Cardinals had a need for defensive lineman who could fix the depth issue.

“I wanted to play early,” Goldwire said. “It’s one of the reasons why I wanted to come to Louisville. I want to come in this year and play a lot. I feel like it’s been a great move for me thus far.”

Despite sitting out all spring, Goldwire went through summer workouts and caught coaches’ eyes by what he did while being sidelined.

“He paid attention in the spring,” defensive line coach L.D. Scott said. “He’s learning a lot, and that’s what really surprised us. He wasn’t behind, which is a testament to the type of kid he is.”

At 6-foot-6, 309 pounds, Goldwire is the perfect fit for the Cardinals, who must get bigger and stronger along the defensive front.

Receiving offers from Alabama, Miami, Kentucky, and Oklahoma, among others, the No. 43 overall junior-college prospect according to 247sports.com’s composite rankings was one of the more highly sought-after players on the recruiting trail last December.

Competition is fierce along the defensive front this fall, with a numbers of players vying for the top spot on the depth chart.

“I’m trying to get my name out to the NFL right now,” Goldwire said. “I love competition though. I’m just out their battling with my teammates trying to learn the defense and just continuing to work my technique.

The Cardinals return to the field on Friday morning at 9 a.m.
Reactions: zipp
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT