ADVERTISEMENT

YOU are the AD...

CardVille

2500+
May 29, 2001
You got to submit 3 names to the BoT of possible coaching candidates, who ya got?
Here is mine:

1) Jeff Brohm [Purdue HC] - local ties, former QB, former Asst
2) Scott Linehan [Dallas OC] - he coached here before, dont know if he would be interested but worth a shot even if only for a few years
3) Lane Kiffin [FAU HC] - just because

Reactions: EKYCard643
I won't include Jeff Brohm because everyone will include Brohm. But Brohm would be my #1 choice.

1. Mike Norvall - Memphis HC
2. Brent Venables - Clemson DC
3. Jason Candle - Toledo HC

I like the idea of Lane Kiffin, I think he would be a fun coach to have and would bring a huge amount of excitement and fan interaction but I don't trust him to stay and not be enticed by bigger programs if he has success here.

Guys I happen to like for no real reason other than I think they could be successful here:
1. Dino Babers - Syracuse HC
2. Matt Rhule - Baylor HC

I don’t understand the attraction to Mike Norvell they are 3-2 and just got pounded by Tulane. I like Jeff Brohm but I still think he has a ways to go before he can compete at a P5 school, lets see how he does at Purdue.
Brent Venables and Bud Foster would be great but they aren’t going anywhere plenty of other schools have tried. So as of now Imam sticking with CBP but I am concerned.

Jeff Brohm will cost $16+ million to bring here this year. Not a chance in hell regardless of his record the remainder of the season...

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Does anyone know if there are reduced buyout clauses in Brohm’s Purdue contract for specific schools? Was told this by someone who is usually solid but it seemed like bs to me. A quick google search did not reveal anything of this sort.

Reactions: wilkie01
I haven't read that, and I would think mention of Louisville would be front and center if true.

Don't really know why some people think it's an overriding priority to the Brohm family for them to return here. I've never ever heard that mentioned in any discussion of Jeff's contract and career. It's just assumed to be true by some fans...

Reactions: CATFANFOLIFE87
Does anyone know if there are reduced buyout clauses in Brohm’s Purdue contract for specific schools? Was told this by someone who is usually solid but it seemed like bs to me. A quick google search did not reveal anything of this sort.

Of course this may not have been made public either.

I haven't read that, and I would think mention of Louisville would be front and center if true.

Don't really know why some people think it's an overriding priority to the Brohm family for them to return here. I've never ever heard that mentioned in any discussion of Jeff's contract and career. It's just assumed to be true by some fans...
His father Oscar has told his close friends that Jeff would absolutely leave Purdue to take the UofL job. Is that the same as Jeff saying it? No but I’d say those words carry a lot of weight. Words like that get out - I mean it’s Louisville right? - creating a credibile assumption by many.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
His father Oscar has told his close friends that Jeff would absolutely leave Purdue to take the UofL job. Is that the same as Jeff saying it? No but I’d say those words carry a lot of weight. Words like that get out - I mean it’s Louisville right? - creating a credibile assumption by many.

No way.
A guy who played for UofL under legendary Coach Schnellenberger.
A guy who was a coach on UofL's staff SEVEN yrs.
Nope. He wouldn't be interested. o_O

Reactions: BPGhost
If I'm the AD I force Nick Petrino out...if the HC cant get any real assistants then he is next in line
Well in the real world where you can be let go without cause or simply because of performance issues, in that scenario where our office manager had hired his two sons, his daughter was the receptionist and his wife the executive secretary, the company finally gave the ultimatum, you need to Farr your sons or you will be terminated. He chose the latter.

I don’t understand the attraction to Mike Norvell they are 3-2 and just got pounded by Tulane. I like Jeff Brohm but I still think he has a ways to go before he can compete at a P5 school, lets see how he does at Purdue.
Brent Venables and Bud Foster would be great but they aren’t going anywhere plenty of other schools have tried. So as of now Imam sticking with CBP but I am concerned.

Dumbest post ever. After we FARRRR that Robby Pertrinio, EVERYONE knows that we're a gonna HARRRRRR that Jon Gruden. He's miserable at Oakland and his brother Jay played here.

okay, if i'm AD i'm throwing $20-$25 million a year at Saban and stroke his ego by having him build a power, instead of restoring one. he's worth $40-$50 million based on exposure and donations brought in. o/w, i'm having to ride this thing out.

Reactions: Morgantown Card
okay, if i'm AD i'm throwing $20-$25 million a year at Saban and stroke his ego by having him build a power, instead of restoring one. he's worth $40-$50 million based on exposure and donations brought in. o/w, i'm having to ride this thing out.

I'm on board. We could toss in his own rocket to the moon, that would seal the deal.

After observing and reflecting on Petrino's second tenure - here are my opinions on the correct move as of right now. Tyra should be working behind the scenes and using his friendship and connections (Trinity and otherwise) to back channel Brohm's legitimate viability to leave Purdue and become UofL's HC. If Brohm would absolutely make the move, I think that you pay the money and terminate Petrino at the end of the season. If Brohm is not 100% willing to make the switch, you ride out this season and tell Petrino that he has next season to show significant improvement in multiple areas - not all W/L related - or he will be terminated. Here are my reasons why.

As big as a supporter of TJ as I was (and am) - he's gone and he ain't coming back. With his departure - the only person leftover with any negative perceptions - is Bobby Petrino. That dickhead grissom doesn't count as he basically was on the forefront of all of the upheaval and more importantly, there really is nothing that anyone can do to oust him at this point. If Petrino was performing at a high level and had the program on solid ground, I would say that you could overlook this point however from a PR standpoint - he still generates lots of ill will towards the program from media and fans alike. Petrino is the last vestige of that regime and whether you loved or hated it, making a complete change would IMO have a cathartic and overwhelmingly positive overall effect on the fan base. At some point, you simply have to move on to move forward.

In the same way that Mack has reversed the negativity surrounding the basketball program, I absolutely believe that Brohm would have the same effect. He's younger, hungrier and, more well thought of from the fan base and I would suggest, throughout the national media and CFB. Even if the ceiling on the program stayed the same - avg. 8-9 wins per year - eliminating that negativity that surrounds Petrino would be hugely beneficial. Additionally, I firmly believe based upon his roots to the university and Louisville in general, he would reverse the 4-5 year HC tenure trend at UofL, and would be here 10+ years if not his entire career. I know that people could say the same thing about Petrino however his reasons for possibly staying here the rest of his career have a lot to do about his age and having far fewer options.

The money situation - 16M or so - can be figured out. Why do I say this? Because the money situations are ALWAYS figured out. I have no doubt (again based upon his ties to Louisville) checks would be written by people to figure the situation out and any shortfall will of course be covered (as it always is) by increases in ticket prices, etc.

Anyway - those are my thoughts.

Reactions: EKYCard643
After observing and reflecting on Petrino's second tenure - here are my opinions on the correct move as of right now. Tyra should be working behind the scenes and using his friendship and connections (Trinity and otherwise) to back channel Brohm's legitimate viability to leave Purdue and become UofL's HC. If Brohm would absolutely make the move, I think that you pay the money and terminate Petrino at the end of the season. If Brohm is not 100% willing to make the switch, you ride out this season and tell Petrino that he has next season to show significant improvement in multiple areas - not all W/L related - or he will be terminated. Here are my reasons why.

As big as a supporter of TJ as I was (and am) - he's gone and he ain't coming back. With his departure - the only person leftover with any negative perceptions - is Bobby Petrino. That dickhead grissom doesn't count as he basically was on the forefront of all of the upheaval and more importantly, there really is nothing that anyone can do to oust him at this point. If Petrino was performing at a high level and had the program on solid ground, I would say that you could overlook this point however from a PR standpoint - he still generates lots of ill will towards the program from media and fans alike. Petrino is the last vestige of that regime and whether you loved or hated it, making a complete change would IMO have a cathartic and overwhelmingly positive overall effect on the fan base. At some point, you simply have to move on to move forward.

In the same way that Mack has reversed the negativity surrounding the basketball program, I absolutely believe that Brohm would have the same effect. He's younger, hungrier and, more well thought of from the fan base and I would suggest, throughout the national media and CFB. Even if the ceiling on the program stayed the same - avg. 8-9 wins per year - eliminating that negativity that surrounds Petrino would be hugely beneficial. Additionally, I firmly believe based upon his roots to the university and Louisville in general, he would reverse the 4-5 year HC tenure trend at UofL, and would be here 10+ years if not his entire career. I know that people could say the same thing about Petrino however his reasons for possibly staying here the rest of his career have a lot to do about his age and having far fewer options.

The money situation - 16M or so - can be figured out. Why do I say this? Because the money situations are ALWAYS figured out. I have no doubt (again based upon his ties to Louisville) checks would be written by people to figure the situation out and any shortfall will of course be covered (as it always is) by increases in ticket prices, etc.

Anyway - those are my thoughts.

Totally agree. For me, I’d make the move if and only if it were Brohm. I think he is the next big thing in football and like you said, his connection to the city and his energy will ignite the fanbase and donors.

One good thing is that the back channeling is pretty easy. Brohm has 2 people that represent him. Both live in Louisville and both have degrees from UofL and both are big UofL football fans.

For what it’s worth, the same person who told me Mack was definitely coming to Louisville weeks before it was announced has told me that Brohm would certainly leave Purdue for UofL.

...The money situation - 16M or so - can be figured out. Why do I say this? Because the money situations are ALWAYS figured out. I have no doubt (again based upon his ties to Louisville) checks would be written by people to figure the situation out and any shortfall will of course be covered (as it always is) by increases in ticket prices, etc...
There's not a snowball's chance U of L is anywhere close to being able to pay $16-17 million in the short run to bring in Jeff Brohm. That's the entire football ticket revenue stream for 1-1/2 seasons.

In case no one's heard, U of L's under a cloud twice that size with Pitino's lawsuit. And operating revenue is declining in both of the revenue sports.

Your best hope is that Petrino gets this ship righted...

The guy in your avatar sure screwed up with Petrino’s contract...

The guy in your avatar sure screwed up with Petrino’s contract...
I think Mack's current buyout is about $30 million. Jeff Brohm's is $25 million.

Petrino's is $12 million

As usual, looks like Jurich knew what he was doing...

I think Mack's current buyout is about $30 million. Jeff Brohm's is $25 million.

Petrino's is $12 million

As usual, looks like Jurich knew what he was doing...
Mack and Brohm are hot commodities, Petrino definitely isn’t.

Reactions: HRTheCard
IMO Saban would say "No, thank you", and behind closed doors he would say "HELL NO"

He knows even he can't recruit to Louisville Kentucky. He knows it just too far from the fertile grounds to regularly get large numbers of top recruits to come this far from home. He learned that at MSU.

National Champ coach Bill Curry couldn't get players to Lexington. Yes, that's different. But he was still a NC coach who uk got nothing from his "name".

Geography matters.

There's not a snowball's chance U of L is anywhere close to being able to pay $16-17 million in the short run to bring in Jeff Brohm. That's the entire football ticket revenue stream for 1-1/2 seasons.

In case no one's heard, U of L's under a cloud twice that size with Pitino's lawsuit. And operating revenue is declining in both of the revenue sports.

And the Cardinal Stadium will never get built, and the YUM Center will never get built, and Cardinal Stadium will never expand or be renovated, and we should have kept Padgett at 1M per year rather than hire Mack, etc, etc, etc.

I stand by my statement. If they want Brohm and Brohm wants them, the money will be figured out.

...and the YUM Center will never get built...
What's obvious now is that it should never have been built. If it's just as obvious now about Petrino's buyout, maybe folks learn from their financial mistakes.

One thing's for sure, U of L is paying the price for recognizing in advance what's "obvious"...

What's obvious now is that it should never have been built. If it's just as obvious now about Petrino's buyout, maybe folks learn from their financial mistakes.

One thing's for sure, U of L is paying the price for recognizing in advance what's "obvious"...
Lol - but it was built. That's the point - they will always figure out a way to do what they want - a million different ways to be creative with the money. Also the two situations aren't even apples and oranges - it's apples and rocks.

Right or wrong - there is a real sense of urgency with the program and Brohm - and that for a ton of reasons, he is the guy for UofL now and the future - but, that the window is closing on the opportunity. I'm telling you, those donors that have closed their wallets from the TJ situation will open them back up again to bring Brohm here.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Lol - but it was built. That's the point - they will always figure out a way to do what they want - a million different ways to be creative with the money. Also the two situations aren't even apples and oranges - it's apples and rocks.

Right or wrong - there is a real sense of urgency with the program and Brohm - and that for a ton of reasons, he is the guy for UofL now and the future - but, that the window is closing on the opportunity. I'm telling you, those donors that have closed their wallets from the TJ situation will open them back up again to bring Brohm here.
Not a chance. There's not that much confidence in the new administration making multimillion dollar decisions. In time, there may be but that ain't today...

Not a chance. There's not that much confidence in the new administration making multimillion dollar decisions. In time, there may be but that ain't today...
That’s your take for sure and you’ve expressed it a bunch. Most people don’t hold a grudge as well as you - lol. Plus those folks aren’t Petrino supporters at all but again, I’d bet they’d be persuaded to help bring Brohm here and wipe the slate entirely clean.

I’m no fan of the new guys - and I wish that TJ was still here. He’s not and it makes sense to completely start fresh if Brohm is available. Is that fair to Petrino? Maybe not but given all the water under the dam, that doesn’t concern me in the slightest.

Agree with your post . What your AD needs to do is like we did with Tubby. Work behind the scenes to find him another job elsewhere to at least lessen the buyout if not erase it completely .
Peace

Agree with your post . What your AD needs to do is like we did with Tubby. Work behind the scenes to find him another job elsewhere to at least lessen the buyout if not erase it completely .
Peace

No other P5 school will hire him.
He knows it.
Otherwise, he would have bolted on UofL a 2nd time.

Razorback fans want him back.
But their Administration doesn't have the guts to rehire him.

Peace
So you're saying that, contrary to what was reported and popular opinion among yut fans, that Tubby Smith didn't orchestrate his own departure from lexington to Minnesota? That in fact brainfart - an AD known (maddeningly so by the yut fan base) for his unwavering patience and support for coaches that do things the right way - regardless of W/L records, actually was instrumental in this move? I suppose it was because he was dying to make that home run hire of Billy Clyde?

That's interesting new reporting. Next I suppose you'll tell us that CM Newton reached out to the Celtics to gauge their interest in Pitino - lol.

No other P5 school will hire him.
He knows it.
Otherwise, he would have bolted on UofL a 2nd time.

Razorback fans want him back.
But their Administration doesn't have the guts to rehire him.

You would have to check the contract I thought I read somewhere that Petrino's buyout isn't even lowered if he were to find other work.

But like you said, moot point. Nobody's going to hire him.

You would have to check the contract I thought I read somewhere that Petrino's buyout isn't even lowered if he were to find other work.

But like you said, moot point. Nobody's going to hire him.

That’s correct. Him getting another job doesn’t affect his buyout.

That’s correct. Him getting another job doesn’t affect his buyout.

Its literally as if Jurich did absolutely everything possible to ensure that Petrino couldn't be fired unless it was for cause. And he did all of this for a coach that had little to no coaching options, hadn't been away from the game long enough to lose the stink of hiring him and hadn't been successful enough to tempt a major program to go after him. Made absolutely zero sense to handcuff the University for absolutely no reason. That contract is so bad and made so little sense that it makes me actually think there's some shady reasoning behind it happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT