ADVERTISEMENT

Another week, another QB post

I mentioned in my post last week on Louisville's quarterback battle that I felt Louisville's run game should ultimately dictate what happens at the quarterback position. In the WKU game, the Cardinals' running game was stagnant with Pass in the game and actually looked really good (Dae Williams) when Cunningham was in the game. Now, Petrino has announced that Cunningham will start against Virginia on Saturday. Was that the right choice? Here are a couple of my thoughts on the matter.

- I really like Cunningham's game. If you read my evaluations on Cunningham back from when he committed or even prior to this season, you will know that I think he is incredibly talented and could be a phenomenal college QB. To me, Cunningham may have edged Pass in the spring game and from that point on I seriously thought that Cunningham could be a factor this year. Louisville will win games with Cunningham, I truly believe that but...

- Malik Cunningham is an acute fix to a chronic problem (Lamar Jackson was a REALLY good acute fix). Puma Pass has, without a doubt, had his struggles so far far this year but to blame Pass for the problems of the receivers, offensive line, and running backs is absolutely unfair to the redshirt sophomore. Cunningham's running ability enables him to do more with limited help surrounding him which is why the offense has moved the ball much better when he has been in the game the past two weeks. By starting Malik Cunningham, the offensive problems are in no way solved, they just aren't as magnified. Can Cunningham be the long term solution at quarterback? I definitely think that is possible as he continues to develop, but at this point I'm looking for Pass to eventually win back over the starting job in 2018. If nothing else I think that is the ideal and most healthy situation for Louisville's offense in the long term.

Length

I am really impressed with the recruiting being done by Coach Mack and his staff but I have a question. Coach Pitino recruited a different type of player when we were in the Big East from the type of player when we moved to the ACC. I remember reading that Pitino thought we need a lot more height to compete in the ACC.
I like the players we are recruiting and getting commitments from but we don't have a lot of length. Do you think that will hurt us in the ACC?

Feeling a little better about UVA

I watched some of the UVA/Ohio game last Saturday and thought UVA looked pretty good.
UVA beat Ohio 45-31. To get a feel for how good Ohio is I looked at their schedule. Their only victory was over the Mighty Howard Bison's 38-32. Howard was also beaten by a 1-2 Kent State team 54-14. I realize you have to be careful with comparative scores. UVA only lost to a 3-0 IU team on the road, 20-16. UVA's other win is against a winless Richmond Spider team.

Louisville adds one more game with Eastern Kentucky

The Louisville Cardinals have added the Eastern Kentucky Colonels to their 2025 football schedule, FBSchedules.com has learned.

Louisville will host Eastern Kentucky at Cardinal Stadium on Aug. 30, 2025. The Cardinals will pay the Colonels a $550,000 guarantee for the game, according to a copy of the contract obtained from the University of Louisville via a state open records request.

Louisville and Eastern Kentucky also have two future football games scheduled that were previously announced. The two schools will meet in Louisville on Sept. 7, 2019 and Sept. 11, 2021. The Colonels will receive $600,000 for the 2019 game and $570,000 for the 2021 game.

Louisville and EKU first met on the gridiron in 1927 and have played 27 times overall. The Cardinals won the most recent game 44-7 in 2013 to extend their lead in the series to 18-8-1.

EKU is the second known non-conference opponent for Louisville for the 2025 season. The Cardinals are also slated to play at Indiana on Sept. 6 that season.

Louisville is the first scheduled opponent for EKU in 2025. The Colonels are a member of the Ohio Valley Conference in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).

Louisville’s 2018-19 Women’s Basketball Conference Schedule Released

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – University of Louisville women’s basketball’s 16-game Atlantic Coast Conference schedule was released on Tuesday afternoon, completing its 2018-19 schedule.

Arguably the top conference for women's basketball, the ACC saw eight teams win 20-plus games in 2017-18. In addition, eight ACC squads earned berths in the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship, including Louisville and Notre Dame, who advanced to the Final Four.

"Year in and year out, our league proves to be one of the toughest in the country," said head coach Jeff Walz. "We are very excited about the season and can’t wait to see the best fans in the country show their support throughout the year.”

Louisville is coming off its third NCAA Final Four appearance in school history under Walz, the program’s winningest coach. All-American Asia Durr, along with returning starters Arica Carter, Sam Fuehring, and Jazmine Jones, headline the returnees from last year's team.

The Cardinals went 15-1 in ACC play a year ago, matching the best mark in program history, and are a combined 54-10 in ACC play their four years in the league.

UofL opens the ACC slate on Jan. 3 when it hosts North Carolina at the KFC Yum! Center. The Cardinals travel to play Duke (Jan. 6) and Notre Dame (Jan. 10) before returning home to host Georgia Tech (Jan. 13) and Virginia (Jan. 17). The contest at defending national champion Notre Dame will air on ESPN at 7 p.m. ET.

The Cardinals play at Wake Forest (Jan. 20) and Florida State (Jan. 24) before wrapping January with a home tilt against Pittsburgh (Jan. 27) and a non-conference home game against Connecticut (Jan. 31).

Louisville alternates home and away games for much of February as it plays at Clemson (Feb. 2), hosts Syracuse (Feb. 7), travels to Virginia Tech (Feb. 10), hosts Miami on ESPN2 (Feb. 17) and plays at Virginia (Feb. 21). Louisville wraps up the month by welcoming in Boston College (Feb. 24) and NC State (Feb. 28).

The Cardinals conclude regular-season play at Pittsburgh on March 3.

The ACC Women's Basketball Tournament will be held at Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, N.C., March 6-10.

Louisville's non-conference schedule, which is highlighted by home contests against Nebraska, Kentucky and Connecticut, features nine opponents that reached postseason play a season ago, including six that played in the NCAA Tournament.

Fans interested in obtaining season tickets are encouraged to visit GoCards.com/WBBTickets or call (502) GO-CARDS for more information. To purchase women's basketball tickets now, please click here.

For the latest on Louisville women's basketball, visit GoCards.com, or follow the team's Twitter account at @UofLWBB or on Facebook at facebook.com/UofLWBB.

Looking at Virginia ... links, tidbits, and more on our next opponent.

UVA opened the season with an impressive win against Richmond, 42 - 13. Then traveled to Bloomington to face the Hoosiers, dropping a close contest 16 - 20. Last week they put away a pretty good Ohio team 45-31.

So ... what does that tell us? Don't know really. That's a decent win against Ohio, played in Nashville due to the hurricane that crushed North Carolina. So a neutral site game, and all the logistics that go with that. Their offense has hit the 40 point mark two times in three games. So should be somewhat challenging for our D. And their D held opponents to 13, 20, and 31 points ... so going the wrong direction, but it looks like they're getting a transfer from Ohio State eligible just in time to play us ... so who knows what that will mean.

Some links to articles I have admittedly not yet read, so I am not sure how good they are, but the headlines give some flavor of what we may be facing this Saturday.

UVA favored to beat Louisville, with good reason:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-uva-louisville-football-0719-story.html

UVA Defensive Line to receive boost before Louisville:

https://247sports.com/college/virgi...ylan-Thompson-Ohio-State-transfer--122074458/

UVA Bowl Watch Week - Golden Opportunity against Louisville:

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/20...inia-cavaliers-louisville-cardinals-week-four

Feel free to add in other links or tidbits about UVA ...

Assistant Coaches = TRASH

I believe the underlying issues with Bobby 2.0 has been his assistants. They for the most part are not quality. Notable exceptions, Summers and Galloway.

Of the assistants 4 have no FBS coaching experience outside of Bobby and 3 of the 4 are family.

Lets take a look:
Nick Petrino, QBs - His only experience coaching is with his dad.
Ryan Beard, Linebackers - Only experience coaching is with his father-in-law
L.D. Scott, D-line - Only experience coaching is with his father-in-law
Kolby Smith, RB - Only experience coaching is with his former coach
Grady Brown, DB - Came from low level FCS school
BVG, DC - Retread. Last seen getting verbally abused by Brian Kelly. Hasn't had a top 25 defense in 20 years.
Mike Summers, O-line - Proven O-line coach at multiple high level FBS schools
Lonnie Galloway, WR - Proven WR coach at multiple high level FBS schools
Chris K, TE - SUSPENDED for DUI.

FB RECRUITING: Louisville Football Recruiting Hot Board: Offense

UPDATED 9/19 @ 1:30PM

Ever since I started managing the hot boards this way I have been updating them more often but have not included the traditional "hot, warmer, warm, etc." that I had previously used. In an effort to try and differentiate recruits for you all a little more I will be bringing back a very similar system which, due to a suggestion from Howie, mimics the Taco Bell sauces. While there may be a few tweaks down the road it will initially be setup like this:

Diablo - Louisville is clearly the team to beat
Fire - Louisville looks to be in a great position to receive a commitment
Hot - Louisville is among a select few teams and is a legitimate possibility
Mild - Louisville is among a group of contenders and is a possibility
Verde - Louisville is technically still in the mix, but a commitment does not appear likely
Unknown - Not enough intel to assign a category accurately

Obviously these levels will be assigned from a variety of factors including perceived interest and are not an exact science. If you have any suggestions please feel free to let me know!

Overall Numbers:
Total number anticipated in the class of 2019 - 16/17
Current commitments - 12
Offense - 9 out of 10-11 anticipated
Defense- 3 out of 6-8 anticipated

QB (1)
Jaden Johnson - COMMIT

Notes:

Johnson is about as solid as solid can be.

RB (1)

Aidan Robbins - COMMIT
Jatarie Washington - Mild
Lelan Wilhoite - Mild
Shadrick Byrd - Unknown
Darian Albrecht - Unknown

Notes:

Currently Louisville has one commitment at running back in the class of 2019 and I'd expect that unless a talented back comes along that the staff can't pass up, Robbins will remain the only commit in the class. The Cardinals are set to return Dae Williams, Colin Wilson, Hassan Hall, and Javian Hawkins (among others) so running back does not appear to be a position of much need going forward.

WR (2)

Stanley King - COMMIT
Milton Wright - Fire
Myles Farmer - Hot
Brieon Fuller - Mild
Jashon Watkins - Mild
Trey Knox - Mild
Terence Doston - Verde

Notes:
Similar to running back, Louisville's need at wide receiver is not an incredibly high priority, although I am expecting the Cardinals to take one more in the class of 2019 to go along with Stanley King. Milton Wright remains the most likely choice, although beating out Alabama may be a tall task. Still, I think there is a decent chance that Wright decides to stay home and attend Louisville next year. Besides Wright, Myles Farmer still appears to be a strong possibility.

TE (2)

Sam Snyder - COMMIT
Jeremiah Pruitte - COMMIT
Austin Griffin - COMMIT

Note:

Unless something surprising happens I'd be shocked if Louisville takes another tight end in the class of 2019. Currently they have 1 JUCO tight end committed (Griffin), 1 true HS tight end prospect (Snyder), and 1 HS WR/TE combo (Pruitte) which provides some flexibility at the position.

OL (4)

Jack Randolph - COMMIT
Jamari Williams - COMMIT
Zach Williamson - COMMIT
Tim Anderson - Hot
Jayme Simmons - Hot
Kaleb Boateng - Hot
Ty Murray - Hot
Chibueze Nwanna - Mild
Danielson Ike - Mild
Dawand Jones - Verde
Deshawn Richardson - Verde
Finley Felix - Unknown
Richard Merritt - Unknown

Notes:

Louisville has 3 solid commitments at the offensive line position for the class of 2019 and, at most, I think they will take 1 more given Wyatt Smock's transfer to Louisville. I'd been thinking that Tim Anderson was probably the most likely addition but at this point, the fact that he has delayed his decision makes me think Louisville may not be the choice for him (or the Cardinals are buying some time). I think the Cardinals are still evaluating prospects at the position to make sure they take the right guy for that 4th spot.

Another visitor for weekend of September 28th and 29th

Next weekend, September 28th and 29th, is absolutely MONSTER.

- Aidan Igiehon on official visit
- Rocket Watts on official visit
- David Johnson on official visit
- Josh Nickelberry on official visit
- Jaelyn Wthers on unofficial visit

Louisville Live is shaping up to be very important. It is free to the public so hopefully there is a nice crowd.

As far as numbers go, it looks and sounds Louisville wants to sign up to 6 guys.

Chris Mack is getting it done, folks.

A few more comments about team

Ok, I have already take VanGorder to task for his DC coaching, and how awful this defense is at stopping the run, (giving up 564 yards in just 3 games, and to two teams that had struggled to run the ball until playing UL.) But here is the stat that makes me want to scream...and certainly why I think VanGorder's D scheme is just NOT working. Opponents are converting 3rd downs 47% of the time!! (49 attempts with 23 conversions for 46.94%). This UL defense is so porous on 3rd downs that any team playing UL converts 3rd downs half of the time. That is just UN-acceptable. And that is mostly VanGorder's problem.

I understand we have 2 D captains out right now, but that is no excuse for giving up 3rd down conversions almost half of the time. That is all about getting players in the right positions to make plays.

UL just can NOT stop the run. Giving up nearly 4.2 yards per carry to opposing offenses. There are 7 gaps that offenses can run the ball through, and if UL cannot cover those gaps with talent; then cover them with numbers. Pull the LB's up the line run blitz to the gaps. Yes, that puts the DB and Safties in tougher situations, but if UL cannot stop the run, they cannot control the TOP and that is what UL needs to do for close games, because this offense is not scoring and controlling the clock makes for boring football, but at least gives them better chances of winning.

And speaking of the offense;

I also am completely selling this whole, "the best offensive unit" is the WR corps. They have also been at best IN-effective, and at worst, just non-existent. When this season started they were 'barking' about how good they were and how 'Bama could not keep up. Well, the only thing the WR corps has kept up, is running their mouth. Because they have not kept up in actually 'catching' anything, nor even have they owned up to admitting they are struggling, and taking it on themselves to actually help the team by downfield blocking. UL has 82 passing attempts for only 44 completions for a passing rating of just over 107; while opponents have a passing rating of over 135; on only 76 attempts. This WR corps is just not getting the job done...and again, I will point to coaching first because this is all of the corps having issues, not just one or two players.

Not too mention that this OL was supposed to be better, yet the only time they can open any running lanes is when there are 2 TE's in the game.

Ok, I will stop ranting for now....sorry...while these are the glaring holes, there are far more to talk about.

The single bright spot in all of this though is Rodjay Burns; and thankfully we have Creque. Because if it were not for those two, UL would likely be sitting at 0-3 right now.

New U of L trustee is ineligible for board

New U of L trustee is ineligible for board

One of the two people that Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin recently appointed to the University of Louisville board of trustees is ineligible for the position.

U of L board chairman David Grissom said in a note to other members of the board that Kevin Fuqua, who is partner and tax services team leader for Louisville-based MCM CPAs & Advisors, would not be able to take his appointment on the board of trustees because he has a relative who works for the university.

"Unfortunately, this disqualifies him from becoming a member of the Board of Trustees…," Grissom wrote. "I hope you will join me in thanking Kevin for his willingness to join our ranks and serve his alma mater."

State law states that "no relative of a board of trustee member shall be employed by the university." Grissom's note states that Bevin is aware of the situation.

WDRB.com reports that Joshua Fuqua, a professor in U of L's Center for Predictive Medicine, is Kevin Fuqua's brother.

Bevin's office announced on Sept. 6 that Fuqua, who is a U of L graduate and Peewee Valley resident, and Louisville resident Dr. Fred Williams would fill board vacancies left by Papa John's International Inc. founder John Schnatter and Stites & Harbison PLLC attorney Brian Cromer.

Schnatter has had a very public falling out with his company and the university that was touched off by his admitted use of a racial slur in a media training exercise. Schnatter resigned from the board of trustees in July.

About two weeks later, Grissom announced at a board of trustees meeting that Cromer had resigned from the board.

U of L named Cromer's firm in a lawsuit against former officers of the University of Louisville Foundation, which include former president James Ramsey, over allegations of mismanagement at the foundation.

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvi...w-u-of-l-trustee-is-ineligible-for-board.html

Puma era over?

this is the strangest dynamic. Puma was anointed as the starter, and heir apparent to Lamar. He played relatively well in his first ever start against Alabama. Played poorly in the rain storm game and got the hook. Was on a very short leash this week and his play showed it. I would say at this point the roles have reversed and Puma is going to have to beat out Malik. I just wonder how this has been handled though?

College FB Today's Top 25 & 2019 All-American Poll Results (9,349 votes/24hrs)

Below are examples of College Football Today's Pi-Charts used to show who the FANS voted "IN" or who the FANS voted "OUT". We have hundreds of write ins (many duplicates) & will be posting them shortly. The images below click to the polls and our other #CollegeFBtoday Top 25 pages. As of right now, you can rank the FBS, FCS, D2, NAIA & College FB Today's 2019 All-American recruits. With over 9,000 voters in 24 hours, we will announce weekly polls every Friday.
screenshot-2018-09-17-at-10-38-43-pm_orig.png

screenshot-2018-09-17-at-10-42-24-pm_orig.png
qb-s-161-votes_orig.png

Learn more about how economic situations plays a roll in the AP Top 25.

#CollegeFBToday FBS Top 25 (All Polls at end of Top 25 pages)
https://www.collegefootballtoday.org/fbstop25.html
#CollegeFBToday FCS Top 25
https://www.collegefootballtoday.org/1aatop25.html
#CollegeFBToday D2 Top 25
https://www.collegefootballtoday.org/d2footballtop25.html
#CollegeFBToday NAIA Top 25
https://www.collegefootballtoday.org/naiafbtop25.html
#CollegeFBToday Poll Results (ALL)
https://www.collegefootballtoday.org/collegefbpolls.html
#CollegeFBToday 2019 All-American HS 1st,2nd,3rd & Honorable Mention Fan Vote
https://www.collegefootballtoday.org/hsallamericans.html

The demise of UofL basketball was greatly over-exaggerated

Coach Chris Mack has landed Josh Nickelberry, Samuell Williamson and Jae'lyn Withers for the 2019 class.

All the recruiting services now have the Cards' recruiting class inside the Top 10 with a chance to be in the Top 5 if we can close strong.

I still think we'll take our lumps this upcoming year. I think we'll struggle to make the NCAA Tournament, but I'm glad that Mack saved the scholarships for the future.

You mix this young incoming group with what will be a veteran nucleus of guys like Nwora, Perry and Williams and you can see where the Cards will be back among the best in the ACC in very short order.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT