ADVERTISEMENT

LOUISVILLE VS IU GAME THREAD

1. Plummer doesn’t get the ball off without the hold.
2. Instead of floating the ball into double coverage (where it could have been, and was, picked off) he could have thrown right in front of him to Turner who was wide open or, run the ball. Either would have gotten at least 10 yards and the 1st down - which was all was needed at that moment. It’s no surprise that’s exactly what he did multiple times after that as I have zero doubt Brohm made it clear to take what the defense gives you - rather than the hero play.

Hopefully he continues to learn from this but as others have mentioned, not sold on him or his decision making so far. Particularly for a guy who’s a 6th yr senior and who’s played in this system before.

Happy to be 3-0.
Okay, first thing, what holding call? I've had yet to see a replay of this holding call that you said enabled Plummer to get the pass off. Even so, it wasn't his fault and the TD pass was a beauty.

It's just retrospect calling for Plummer to check down for a 1st down instead of throwing it downfield to the one yard line. Would you be complaining had Coleman caught the ball at the one yard line?

Now Plummer is far from perfect but it appears to me some just want to complain mostly to uphold an argument that was comprised from that 1st half against GT. It's nitpicking to complain about him against IU.

Jack Plummer is the QB this season. No one is close to being ready to replace him. Brohm will have this offense churning soon enough.

Some of you watched a different game than I did.

Plummer threw a perfect TD strike after getting flushed from the pocket that was called back for a late and questionable holding call. On a different series, Plummer had what would have been a first and goal at the one, if Coleman held on to the ball instead of bobbling into an INT. There was another likely TD pass that was our receiver failed to hold on to.

Plummer was not responsible for IU covering the onside kick, nor did he have anything to do with the 97 yard IU a drive that ended in a TD.

What Jack did, was convert several key first downs running the football to preserve the win.

This is the same IU defense that held OSU well below its offensive production. Give the Hoosiers credit, and appreciate that Plummer was not the problem.
Until that ill advised 4th and 1 at the goaline, every single big play went IU's way in that 2nd half. It was unreal.

From the perfect onside kick where the ball dutifully bounced up right into the IU players hands like a ground ball to the shortstop, to IU recovering their fumble just a couple plays later.

Then the phantom holding call that negated the Cards TD. It was the only offensive holding call all day against Louisville. Again, perfect timing for IU.

Then a dropped pass at the one yard line by a Cards receiver that perfectly bounced up into the IU DB for an interception.

I was convinced on that 4th and goal IU was going to score and go for a 2 point conversion and get it. Why? Because everything in that 2nd half was going IU's way.

But then the one big play that went the Cards way was mostly due to a very dumb play call by IU. That mistake gave the Cards the one chance they needed to hold on to the win and it was Plummer along with Jordan that helped accomplish it.

I didn't have much concern about IU going in but I didn't know they have a star QB in the making. Jackson is going to be a star and the Hoosiers are going to have a hard time keeping him out of the portal.

Now it's BC next coming off a near upset of FSU. Their QB can run the ball so the Cards will need to hit him hard early to deter that. Still, the Cards should roll over the Golden Eagles to go to 4 and 0.

Okay, first thing, what holding call? I've had yet to see a replay of this holding call that you said enabled Plummer to get the pass off. Even so, it wasn't his fault and the TD pass was a beauty.

It's just retrospect calling for Plummer to check down for a 1st down instead of throwing it downfield to the one yard line. Would you be complaining had Coleman caught the ball at the one yard line?

Now Plummer is far from perfect but it appears to me some just want to complain mostly to uphold an argument that was comprised from that 1st half against GT. It's nitpicking to complain about him against IU.

Jack Plummer is the QB this season. No one is close to being ready to replace him. Brohm will have this offense churning soon enough.
I'm not going to argue with you, all I can tell you is that in person it looked like holding to me. And to the official - who is the only person that matters. It was a good throw by Plummer and it was unfortunate that it didn't stand up.

Regarding the pick at the goal line - it's not retrospect at all - I yelled WTF when he threw the ball down the field. Floating it into double coverage. No, I would not have complained if Coleman had caught the ball but, it still would have been a terrible decision on Plummer's part - just one that he got away with. Unless you're saying that taking a sure 1st down is the wrong decision?

I don't think that Plummer is a bad QB by any stretch. Perhaps I fell for the hype about his decision making and arm talent from pre-season camp combined with the fact that he was a multiple year starter in this system. He is definitely the QB and all we can hope for is that he continues to progress in all facets.

I agree Realville, the back official who threw the holding flag did so late, and he did it with our OL‘s back facing the official. Granted the replay showed no evidence of a hold, but our picture was the same as the official, where we could not see the hands. I do not recall any other holding calls the entire game, and as is so often the timing was suspect.

Reactions: Mayoman
They had a picture of the Louisville vs IU on google with a report of the game. The picture showed an IU player holding on to a Louisville players face mask in full view. I don’t ever remember them calling a penalty on that.

Reactions: rh62531
I'm not going to argue with you, all I can tell you is that in person it looked like holding to me. And to the official - who is the only person that matters. It was a good throw by Plummer and it was unfortunate that it didn't stand up.

Regarding the pick at the goal line - it's not retrospect at all - I yelled WTF when he threw the ball down the field. Floating it into double coverage. No, I would not have complained if Coleman had caught the ball but, it still would have been a terrible decision on Plummer's part - just one that he got away with. Unless you're saying that taking a sure 1st down is the wrong decision?

I don't think that Plummer is a bad QB by any stretch. Perhaps I fell for the hype about his decision making and arm talent from pre-season camp combined with the fact that he was a multiple year starter in this system. He is definitely the QB and all we can hope for is that he continues to progress in all facets.
I have the game recorded and I don't see a hold, but they didn't have a different angle but the one. Now if you were there then you would know.

Now I've been watching football for a long time and QB's constantly ignore just 1st down receivers and throw long. The better QB's have more success than the lesser QB's.

In this case, had Coleman held on to the ball, it would have been 1st and goal and no one except you I suppose, would complain about Plummer's decision.

Now I agree Plummer still needs to get more consistent but he has skilled position players all around him. His confidence will grow with continued success.

Reactions: 2330859
Too often the questionable OL holding calls occur when the play is extended as the QB has scrambled out of the pocket. I believe a careful review of each play will pick up some evidence of a ”handful of Jersey”; the majority of which does not result in a flag.

Overall, the officials do an excellent job ……. In this case the combination of the late flag and the disallowing of a TD, explains why it draws the attention of the fans.

I have the game recorded and I don't see a hold, but they didn't have a different angle but the one. Now if you were there then you would know.

Now I've been watching football for a long time and QB's constantly ignore just 1st down receivers and throw long. The better QB's have more success than the lesser QB's.

In this case, had Coleman held on to the ball, it would have been 1st and goal and no one except you I suppose, would complain about Plummer's decision.

Now I agree Plummer still needs to get more consistent but he has skilled position players all around him. His confidence will grow with continued success.
FTR - there is a difference between saying something is a bad decision (whether ultimately successful or not) and "complaining". Bad decisions have a way of piling up unless the decision-making process is changed. This is not intended as a knock on you but based upon your comment, I'm guessing you've not coached a level where the mental part of the game is taught.

Either way - glad for the win and hope that Plummer continues to improve.

I have never coached any sport and I don't see how that applies to anything I've said. I wasn't coming at it as a coach, but as a fan. Athletes in all sports take risks with the decisions they make. Plummer is no different. Maybe he saw a open receiver and a TD? Maybe he was told earlier to look for Coleman because Thrash was getting all the attention?

When I saw the play live I wasn't upset with the decision to go long instead of running for the first down or passing for it. I was upset at Coleman for not only dropping the pass but for that drop leading to a interception. It was a fluke outcome from a mistake by the receiver, not the QB.

Some of you watched a different game than I did.

Plummer threw a perfect TD strike after getting flushed from the pocket that was called back for a late and questionable holding call. On a different series, Plummer had what would have been a first and goal at the one, if Coleman held on to the ball instead of bobbling into an INT. There was another likely TD pass that was our receiver failed to hold on to.

Plummer was not responsible for IU covering the onside kick, nor did he have anything to do with the 97 yard IU a drive that ended in a TD.

What Jack did, was convert several key first downs running the football to preserve the win.

This is the same IU defense that held OSU well below its offensive production. Give the Hoosiers credit, and appreciate that Plummer was not the problem.
Finally, someone who knows some football. Right on summation.

Reactions: Mayoman
Plummer had a good game. His passing was accurate and made the right decisions. In some cases you have to give IU credit for knocking the ball out and others Louisville receivers simply dropped. Part of the game.

I think they got away from the run too much in 2nd half. Running the ball really is demoralizing to a defense. They were dominate on the line of scrimmage in the run game. It forces them into quick decisions on supporting the run. It can pull teams out of their zones force more one and one coverage.

Defense on 3rd and long you have to heat up the younger QB’s make them make quick decisions. Take away option 1 make young QB process reads. Veterans you have to give them different looks.

Game plan wise it has been pretty vanilla so far in all three games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT