ADVERTISEMENT

Who are we losing after this season?

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
I’m only looking for the players we KNOW have exhausted their eligibility. TIA

Question. Have we ever had a player go through Senior Day activities and come back to play another season?

Domann, Conley, Plummer and Guerendo all participated.

I know we have some talented kids in the pipeline, but geez that’s brutal for the o-line. Hudson is a particularly devastating blow. I think we have to score at least two starters from the portal. I know that it is what it is, but I hate what college athletics has become.

And Rivals has our recruiting class 9th in the ACC with only 1 recruit ranked in their Top 250 (the WR flip from LSU 😢

Our 2023-24 recruiting class can be excused, as it is a reflection of Jeff’s arrival to UL without the benefit of anyone witnessing his accomplishments this first year.

Prior to Jeff’s first game, UL had lost 27 to the portal, which explains Jeff bringing in 28 from the portal.

Jeff, Brian and Ron are reported to have jumped quickly, but most analytically in evaluating the best portal candidates to fill the positions of need.

If I were a betting man, which I am not, I would wager that his staff started the same process as early as a few mont ago in terms of identifying those who might best replace those we lose.

I personally prefer the Portal to incoming freshmen, as UL has too much to make up for at this early point in Jeff’s arrival. The day when you can bring in a talented HS graduate and have 5 years to develop him are slim to none, too many chances to lose him to the portal.

Reactions: Mayoman
Reiger surprised me. His first year was SS's first year. So this was year 5 for him. He redshirted as a freshmen. And I thought 2020, the covid year didn't count against anyone's eligibility. But he was recognized on Senior Day so I guess I am wrong.

The biggest unknown is who will get poached from the team via the portal..

Louisville can’t win at a high level with High School recruiting in a normal world and no chance in the new world.

The key for them is to pursue the high end players introduce them to Louisville. When things don’t work out at the initial school now you have a in with them in the portal. If you can land them then they are locked in until they graduate. With the portal rules, if enforced, high school players are too risky. They are a wild card in general but add in being able to bolt after 1 year no thank you. I would think 10-15 high school players per cycle will be where they end up. They rest will be in the portal.

Louisville has to be very good in evaluating players while managing their NIL budget. They can’t spend 3M on a QB. I would rather spend 3M on Oline and Dline. Then find skill guys that fit their system.

You have to have Big boys on both lines. Sure wish we could get a big time run stopper.

I didn't think I was dreaming but both Thrash and Jordan who are listed as RS juniors participated in Senior Day activities. Thrash has indicated that he will play in the bowl game.

Reactions: Steelers2012
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT