ADVERTISEMENT

Has the Rivalry Tide Finally Turned?

Feb 3, 2014
I think it has…definitely. If the Pope hire goes through as expected (and I don’t see how Barnhart can back out now without looking like he was turned down again or appearing to kick one of their own to the curb…you know, that despicable thing that UL did) then I like our chances A LOT going forward. Pope pales in every comparison to CPK. We now have energy, fan support, NIL money, coaching record, momentum and much, much more in our favor. The UK brand will, most likely, continue to recruit well…not Calipari-like recruiting, but good recruiting nonetheless. That’s really the only possible edge they might have and I’m not really ready to concede that at this point.

My friends…we awake to a new day. Enjoy!

I think it has…definitely. If the Pope hire goes through as expected (and I don’t see how Barnhart can back out now without looking like he was turned down again or appearing to kick one of their own to the curb…you know, that despicable thing that UL did) then I like our chances A LOT going forward. Pope pales in every comparison to CPK. We now have energy, fan support, NIL money, coaching record, momentum and much, much more in our favor. The UK brand will, most likely, continue to recruit well…not Calipari-like recruiting, but good recruiting nonetheless. That’s really the only possible edge they might have and I’m not really ready to concede that at this point.

NIL is the great equalizer and if CPK is successful that will level the playing field. Time will tell.

It's a big chance to reel off some wins in the rivalry. When the Cards won 2 in a row against Gillespie that was the final nail against him.

The only reason the uk fans weren't louder even sooner for Cals head was because he consistently won the rivalry game.

Sorry OldhamCard but replacing KP was not despicable it was much needed. sUcK really came down from the wish list they had when Cal left. Scott Drew, Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, Chris Beard to Mark Pope who was never mentioned. Pope will be a better coach then Cal was almost anybody would of, I don’t think Pope will be able to recruit at the same level.

Reactions: 2330859
Sorry OldhamCard but replacing KP was not despicable it was much needed. sUcK really came down from the wish list they had when Cal left. Scott Drew, Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, Chris Beard to Mark Pope who was never mentioned. Pope will be a better coach then Cal was almost anybody would have, I don’t think Pope will be able to recruit at the same level.
Pretty sure OCCard’s comment was sarcastic with respect to Payne being fired.

The uk coaching search was a comeuppance for that fan base - as most searches have been for every fan base who’ve gone through it recently. I think that uk has the chance to slide into mediocrity for quite a while.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Remember when Josh was getting ripped for missing on his first two tries, only to land a coach that the fanbase seems to genuinely like?

To borrow a frequently used line from Zipp back in the day - Elite program my a$$!

I agree one step at a time and build up to champion status. Our program was basically in depth penalty status the past couple of years.

Sorry OldhamCard but replacing KP was not despicable it was much needed. sUcK really came down from the wish list they had when Cal left. Scott Drew, Billy Donovan, Jay Wright, Chris Beard to Mark Pope who was never mentioned. Pope will be a better coach then Cal was almost anybody would of, I don’t think Pope will be able to recruit at the same level.
Please turn on your sarcasm detector. UK fans constantly said we were eating our own here and acted like we were supposed to be good with this horrible coach and that we darest not dismiss him as he was our own. Sorry, maybe I was too subtle.

I agree one step at a time and build up to champion status. Our program was basically in depth penalty status the past couple of years.
We were in purgatory at best throughout the Padgett and Mack years. That hurt recruiting tremendously. CKP recruited fairly well but did nothing with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT