ADVERTISEMENT

UK would be lucky to finish top 6 in ACC

I don't understand how an SEC dumpster team like Vandy gets any respect for its schedule. BUT even if that respect is justified, you have to do more than just play the games. That team is barely .500 on the season.

No way in hell the SEC deserves five bids. They really don't deserve four but will probably get them.

"Elite program," my a$$...

The SEC I think is on the verge of turning it M around. They got some coaches in, and now the players. Time will tell...
Heard a stat about a month ago that I can't recall exactly... But it was something like the SEC is 1-30 this year against Top 25 teams. If someone knows for sure, reference it.

That's a lovely stat for a conference on the rise.

Reactions: earsky
I don't understand how an SEC dumpster team like Vandy gets any respect for its schedule. BUT even if that respect is justified, you have to do more than just play the games. That team is barely .500 on the season.

No way in hell the SEC deserves five bids. They really don't deserve four but will probably get them.

The RPI, the data point that matters the most (for good or for bad), has Vandy with the #3 SoS and has them ranked at #48. So that addresses your concerns for the respect for their schedule (#3) and doing more than just playing the games (ranked #48). With the losses that they have, I don't get it either, but the RPI matters and it matters a lot. Vandy is definitely in the discussion, but personally I don't see them getting in and honestly I don't get how Arkansas has an RPI that high, either.

The RPI, the data point that matters the most (for good or for bad), has Vandy with the #3 SoS and has them ranked at #48. So that addresses your concerns for the respect for their schedule (#3) and doing more than just playing the games (ranked #48). With the losses that they have, I don't get it either, but the RPI matters and it matters a lot. Vandy is definitely in the discussion, but personally I don't see them getting in and honestly I don't get how Arkansas has an RPI that high, either.
Honestly, they played one ranked team OOC and then the weak SEC schools, how is the #3 possible? Serious question

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ese-hired-consultant-sec-save-hoops/81836100/

Good article that explains the SOS - SEC hired a consultant to assist with scheduling for SEC teams - the expertise more than likely involved eliminating OOC opponents that were at the very bottom of the pile in D1 - those teams dramatically drag down computer ratings and SOS. It's a way to offset the OOC record against the T25 teams that Zipp referenced.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ese-hired-consultant-sec-save-hoops/81836100/

Good article that explains the SOS - SEC hired a consultant to assist with scheduling for SEC teams - the expertise more than likely involved eliminating OOC opponents that were at the very bottom of the pile in D1 - those teams dramatically drag down computer ratings and SOS. It's a way to offset the OOC record against the T25 teams that Zipp referenced.

Good find Hop - I remember seeing some info regarding that - like playing the #285 ranked team, then following it up the next day with say #3, is considered an easier duo of games than playing 2 teams in row ranked 75th and 84th, for example - even though the chances of going 2-0 in each of those scenarios is much higher in the latter example.

Good find Hop - I remember seeing some info regarding that - like playing the #285 ranked team, then following it up the next day with say #3, is considered an easier duo of games than playing 2 teams in row ranked 75th and 84th, for example - even though the chances of going 2-0 in each of those scenarios is much higher in the latter example.

Right, there is a level of cupcakes that can be had in the 125-175 range... need to avoid the true bottom feeders. This is an approach to take in a conference that may lack multiple T25 type of programs. You see the Vandy SOS, USC SOS are both pretty strong by their standard.

Reactions: JohnKBA
1.) Vandy is a tourney team that was fighting for their life last night. I will give you that we didn't play great but who does every game?

2.)Louisville has never been our super bowl
. It is however a big game against an in state foe. It's certainly a lot bigger for the fans than it is the players.

What about jacksons "once in a life time game"? Monk has had a twenty point half a few times this year and multiple 30pt games. Stop selling him short if you're not gonna do the same to Jackson who also went way above his average.

I'll say it again, your hate blinds you from the facts. You can hate Kentucky and still be objective you're just not doing it right now. I guess it's easier for me to be objective about Louisville because I don't hate the program or it's fans.
Stopped reading after this. o_O

Reactions: zipp and Cue Card
ThroughBlue I know why you all want to stay in the SEC, it essentially guarantees you as a tournament team every year. If you were in the ACC right now you could easily be on the bubble. In the very least it also guarantees you better seeding which guarantees easier matchups on the first weekend. You'll probably be a 2 or 3 seed in the tournament when in reality UK should be no better than a 4 seed in this tournament. There are definitely at least 12 teams better than UK this year.

Funny how you all are trying to do a pathetic moral victory against us earlier in the year. I thought as a basketball blue blood you were better than that. If you want to go the moral victory route should I remind you that we were a few plays away from beating Cal's NC team in the Final Four in 2012? We were tied in that game with 9 minutes to go and were far closer to beating Cal's best team than UK was of beating us back in December. Or how badly we outplayed Cal's 2014 UK team in the Sweet 16 but essentially choked and let you all throw in a few crazy shots to win. You want to act like all of Cal's victories over UofL have been 30 point blowouts, the reality is out of Cal's 7 wins against UofL at UK only 1 has been more than 8 points. So using your standard we could claim all of those as moral victories and in several of them we were far closer to beating you all then you were of beating us back in December.

That's why I hate you all being in the SEC, it lets you just prepare for the tournament for 2 months while other top teams are battling it out nightly. It gives you all an advantage of getting seeded higher than you all deserve. I dislike Gonzaga for the same reason, Gonzaga will probably get a 1 or 2 seed and they don't deserve either one. I put the SEC on the part with the Big West and other mid-major conferences.
So now that UL just lost to Wake Forest, I think I'm right when I say playing on the road in ANY conference is freaking difficult, especially when you're a big name team. Wake Forest is no better that Vanderbilt, Georgia, UT or South Carolina.
Truth is, UL would lose games on the road in the SEC, tonight is proof of that.
And those of you saying UK would be on the bubble if it were in the ACC, come on now, that's just nonsense. UK would probably have a couple more losses on the road if they were in the ACC, but they wouldn't be bad losses.
Also, as was already stated, UK lost a tough game at Louisville by 3 and they beat UNC on a neutral court. I'm not sure what more you need to see.
I see comments about how Va Tech would three point shoot UK to death, yeah, nobody ever does that to UK (eye roll), it's not like Florida and Vanderbilt didn't just hit a ton of threes in Rupp against UK the last two games right???
You guys always knock the SEC, but you leave out the fact that you played in the CUSA and Metro conferences for a large part of your existence. Those are mid major conferences. Isn't that glass houses talk? Now that you're in the ACC you want to point and laugh? Seems kind of dumb honestly.
But again, UL would lose road games in the SEC, just like UK has and UK would have it's fair share of losses and success in the ACC, just like UL, Duke and UNC has. To think otherwise is foolish.
Also, don't act like UK gets favorable draws in the NCAAT, we get under seeded way more often than not. Went to the title game as an 8 seed a few years ago, should have been a 6 at worst. Got a 4 in 2011, should have been a 2. If UK gets anything worse than a 3 this year it will be wrong, UK has more than earned a 2 or 3.
But again, losing to Wake Forest is no different than losing on the road to Bama, Vandy, Georgia or Tennessee. You're in denial if you say different.

Last edited:
You guys always knock the SEC, but you leave out the fact that you played in the CUSA and Metro conferences for a large part of your existence. Those are mid major conferences. Isn't that glass houses talk? Now that you're in the ACC you want to point and laugh? Seems kind of dumb honestly.

You forgot about UofL being in, and dominating, the other greatest basketball conference ever for a decade before it broke up- The Big East. Now again, we're in the greatest basketball conference, the ACC. It's been quite a while since UofL was in CUSA, so no, we're not just now playing in a big time basketball conference. Also the one season UofL was in the AAC the National Champs came from there as I'm sure you know very well.

So now that UL just lost to Wake Forest, I think I'm right when I say playing on the road in ANY conference is freaking difficult, especially when you're a big name team. Wake Forest is no better that Vanderbilt, Georgia, UT or South Carolina...
You're trying to compare--if we let you--middle-of-the-pack teams from the ACC and SEC. One conference is the best in college basketball; the other is behind every other P5 conference and the Big East. So that comparison is a non-starter.

Teams such as Vandy and Tennessee would be bottom feeders in the ACC. Like LPT, they look better playing in the SEC dumpster fire.

Heard a stat about a month ago that I can't recall exactly... But it was something like the SEC is 1-30 this year against Top 25 teams. If someone knows for sure, reference it.

That's a lovely stat for a conference on the rise...
Found it... The SEC is 1-24 this year against the Top 25.

LINK

That includes LPT's games. The SEC's freaking 0-and-21 if you omit the slapd!cks. You almost have to try to be that bad.

UK basketball is in the same category as your " elite " football program. Only difference is, UK basketball still plays for championships.
You've been to one damn bowl game in a decade, and your rival has the most recent championship in basketball. Lol fool

The SEC I think is on the verge of turning it M around. They got some coaches in, and now the players. Time will tell. But as I proved with the numbers in the OP the SEC is the same or better than the B12 when it comes to performance in the tournament, but you won't hear them talk about that, just the SEC. Thats only because of Kentucky, and only because it's their only sound point to any argument
The conference is full of coaches who were out of jobs, there's a reason why they were unemployed.

Reactions: BPGhost
The conference is full of coaches who were out of jobs, there's a reason why they were unemployed.
Avery Johnson was NBA coach of the year and Ben Howland went to what 3 final fours? Definitely a step up from Stansbury and whoever the hell was coaching Alabama before Avery Johnson.

Reactions: Cal4Pres.
Avery Johnson was NBA coach of the year and Ben Howland went to what 3 final fours? Definitely a step up from Stansbury and whoever the hell was coaching Alabama before Avery Johnson.
Explain why they were out of jobs? If they are as good as you're saying, they should've been coaching somewhere.

Charlie strong bombed at UT does that mean his stint at his other school was meaningless?

Explain why they were out of jobs? If they are as good as you're saying, they should've been coaching somewhere.
Idk why Avery Johnson was fired from the Dallas Mavericks but I think we can both agree that he is under much less pressure to perform at bama. Same with Howland at UCLA. It would be different if he were hired to coach at Kentucky or Louisville but it's Miss St.

You forgot about UofL being in, and dominating, the other greatest basketball conference ever for a decade before it broke up- The Big East. Now again, we're in the greatest basketball conference, the ACC. It's been quite a while since UofL was in CUSA, so no, we're not just now playing in a big time basketball conference. Also the one season UofL was in the AAC the National Champs came from there as I'm sure you know very well.
And you're right, but I'm not knocking that, but all it does is reinforce my point. You did well in CUSA, then went over to the BIG EAST and didn't miss a beat, you were one of the top teams in that league and now that you're in the ACC you're, again, a top tier team in that league.

So my question to you is, why do you guys think UL can make that transition, but UK couldn't? Somehow, in your minds, UK would be a bottom feeder in the ACC, even though UK has a winning record the last 7 years against ACC teams, heck, it's not even close.

Also, it's not like UK falters in the NCAAT, in fact, UK has overachieved in the tournament more times than not. Everyone gets upset, but how many teams can put on runs like UK did in 11 and 14? Been to the FF 4 times in 6 years, once as an 8 seed and once as a 4.

If you want to point and laugh at a team that feasts on light competition, then flames out early in the tournament, if that's fun to you, than Gonzaga is your team, UK produces in the tournament.

Also, what's the big advantage for playing in the ACC? you guys get seeded based on your SOS and your W/L, but you haven't accomplished what UK has in the tournament the last 6 or 7 years, why is that? Isn't that league supposed to make you stronger for tournament time?

My point is, even though UK has all these young teams, the SEC more than prepares them for the tournament and UK has had a lot of success in the tournament with those young teams. And if UL was in the SEC, they would struggle on the road, and at home too. UL has shown me nothing to indicate any different. Last night's loss to an NIT team proves that.

Last edited:
You're trying to compare--if we let you--middle-of-the-pack teams from the ACC and SEC. One conference is the best in college basketball; the other is behind every other P5 conference and the Big East. So that comparison is a non-starter.

Teams such as Vandy and Tennessee would be bottom feeders in the ACC. Like LPT, they look better playing in the SEC dumpster fire.

Disagree, and the SEC/BIG12 challenge proved that.
I'll admit that the SEC didn't have a good head to head record with the other leagues in November and December, but I fully believe that the SEC teams that get into the tournament will win some games.
But still, I don't care what conference it is, road games are really tough, again, put UL in the SEC this year and they would have some losses and some very close wins. Losing at Wake proves that.

Last edited:
And you're right, but I'm not knocking that, but all it does is reinforce my point. You did well in CUSA, then went over to the BIG EAST and didn't miss a beat, you were one of the top teams in that league and now that you're in the ACC you're, again, a top tier team in that league.

So my question to you is, why do you guys think UL can make that transition, but UK couldn't? Somehow, in your minds, UK would be a bottom feeder in the ACC, even though UK has a winning record the last 7 years against ACC teams, heck, it's not even close.

Also, it's not like UK falters in the NCAAT, in fact, UK has overachieved in the tournament more times than not. Everyone gets upset, but how many teams can put on runs like UK did in 11 and 14? Been to the FF 4 times in 6 years, once as an 8 seed and once as a 4.

If you want to point and laugh at a team that feasts on light competition, then flames out early in the tournament, if that's fun to you, than Gonzaga is your team, UK produces in the tournament.

Also, what's the big advantage for playing in the ACC? you guys get seeded based on your SOS and your W/L, but you haven't accomplished what UK has in the tournament the last 6 or 7 years, why is that? Isn't that league supposed to make you stronger for tournament time?

My point is, even though UK has all these young teams, the SEC more than prepares them for the tournament and UK has had a lot of success in the tournament with those young teams. And if UL was in the SEC, they would struggle on the road, and at home too. UL has shown me nothing to indicate any different. Last night's loss to an NIT team proves that.
I don't think that he said your program couldn't be successful, but that Kentucky wouldn't have the gaudy conference record that you normally do.

I don't think that he said your program couldn't be successful, but that Kentucky wouldn't have the gaudy conference record that you normally do.
Look at the thread title and there are plenty if comments in this thread alone that are saying UK would be a bottom feeder in the ACC. I know most of those comments are tongue in cheek, but come on.

Also, you're 100% right, there are no Duke's or UNC's in the SEC besides UK and Florida, but there are plenty of teams that would qualify as second tier teams in the ACC from the SEC, especially in conference play on their home court.

What you saw last night was a motivated Wake team that probably played one of their best games and fed off a jacked up crowd, same thing happens in the SEC, only there's more of them.

When you go to Duke, UNC, UVA or ND, you know you are most likely leaving with an L, but that's okay, losing to those teams isn't bad, but when you have to go to Bama, Vandy, UGA or Ole Miss (basically a bunch of Wake Forest like schools), they can beat you in their gym and that loss doesn't look so good.

The problem with the SEC is the upper tier is nowhere near as strong as the ACC or the old Big East. But Florida and UK can more than hold their own.

UK would definitely have more losses if they were in the ACC, but they would also have more quality wins, that hammer swings both ways.

I guess when you see a 12th place Clemson team that is 15-14 overall, 5-12 in conference and 3-0 versus SEC teams... mind you the same SEC teams you are touting as equal to Wake and ACC cellar dwellers, you can not wrap your brain around any SEC equating to middle of the pack ACC teams. Clemson beat UGA, Bama and SC. For some strange reason SC is touted as one of the better SEC teams. So, how can any equivalency be given to the SEC middle when they can not even beat an ACC cellar dweller? And, there is no doubt that ACC fans understand on any given night a team can step up and defeat the better team. It's just more likely to happen in a conference that is top to bottom stronger than any other conference in the country. In other words, there isn't a let down in the ACC. If you don't bring your A game, the probability of losing is greater. UK's A games come against OOC opponents rather than conference opponents and that speaks volumes to the strength of the SEC. The converse is seen in the ACC where anything less than your A game in conference means a possible defeat.

Last edited:
I guess when you see a 12th place Clemson team that is 15-14 overall, 5-12 in conference and 3-0 versus SEC teams... mind you the same SEC teams you are touting as equal to Wake and ACC cellar dwellers, you can not wrap your brain around any SEC equating to middle of the pack ACC teams. Clemson beat UGA, Bama and SC. For some strange reason SC is touted as one of the better SEC teams. So, how can any equivalency be given to the SEC middle when they can not even beat an ACC cellar dweller? And, there is no doubt that ACC fans understand on any given night a team can step up and defeat the better team. It's just more likely to happen in a conference that is top to bottom stronger than any other conference in the country. In other words, there isn't a let down in the ACC. If you don't bring your A game, the probability of losing is greater. UK's A games come against OOC opponents rather than conference opponents and that speaks volumes to the strength of the SEC. The converse is seen in the ACC where anything less than your A game in conference means a possible defeat.

Conference games are always a grind. You take losses in conference all the time that you shouldn't.

Cal's SEC win % since arriving at UK is 79%. His win % in the tourney is 82%. His win % vs U of L, Duke, and UNC combined is 75%. So, vs the cream of the crop in the ACC he wins at a clip of 4% lower than the SEC. I don't see the big difference.

Last edited:
So now that UL just lost to Wake Forest, I think I'm right when I say playing on the road in ANY conference is freaking difficult, especially when you're a big name team. Wake Forest is no better that Vanderbilt, Georgia, UT or South Carolina.
Truth is, UL would lose games on the road in the SEC, tonight is proof of that.
And those of you saying UK would be on the bubble if it were in the ACC, come on now, that's just nonsense. UK would probably have a couple more losses on the road if they were in the ACC, but they wouldn't be bad losses.
Also, as was already stated, UK lost a tough game at Louisville by 3 and they beat UNC on a neutral court. I'm not sure what more you need to see.
I see comments about how Va Tech would three point shoot UK to death, yeah, nobody ever does that to UK (eye roll), it's not like Florida and Vanderbilt didn't just hit a ton of threes in Rupp against UK the last two games right???
But again, UL would lose road games in the SEC, just like UK has and UK would have it's fair share of losses and success in the ACC, just like UL, Duke and UNC has. To think otherwise is foolish.
Also, don't act like UK gets favorable draws in the NCAAT, we get under seeded way more often than not. Went to the title game as an 8 seed a few years ago, should have been a 6 at worst. Got a 4 in 2011, should have been a 2. If UK gets anything worse than a 3 this year it will be wrong, UK has more than earned a 2 or 3.
But again, losing to Wake Forest is no different than losing on the road to Bama, Vandy, Georgia or Tennessee. You're in denial if you say different.
Wake Forest is way better than Vandy, Georgia, UT and South Carolina. Wake has played the top teams in the ACC very tough and just hadn't broke through with a lot of wins until last night.

I would also remind you that yes you beat UNC in December, when Monk had a once in a lifetime type game, and still only beat UNC by 3. I feel the same way about UNC that I feel about us, that if the UNC-UK game was played now UNC wins by 10 - 15.
UNC just scored 43 points against Virginia. No!! Virginia is going home early in the NCAA tourney.

Wake will probably make the tourney if they beat Virginia Tech on the road Saturday. The ACC will very possibly have 10 bids and are almost guaranteed 9 bids.
And more than half of them will be sent home on the first week of the NCAA tourney.

And more than half of them will be sent home on the first week of the NCAA tourney.
Why do you say that? The ACC had 7 bids last year and 6 of those teams made the Sweet 16 which is a record. The Tournament is a Crap Shoot and nobody knows what will happen. But there is a reason the ACC is thought of as by far the best conference in College Basketball top to bottom. When I watch College Basketball in the ACC and then watch other games in other conferences I see quicker, more athletic players in the ACC and I also see more skilled shooters as well. It's just a different level. Doesn't mean ACC teams can't be sent packing early but it will be interesting to see.

Reactions: tluck28
I'm what world is 15-2 struggling? Not planet earth
You've won a lot of SEC games with your C game. Like other posters have said, your C game wouldn't cut it in the ACC. We've had ACC road games where our A game wasn't enough and we've had ACC road games where we had our C game and got blown out. And yet we are undefeated at home in the ACC. In the SEC you can walk in, get the balls out, play your C game and then coast to a victory on most nights.

Wake Forest is way better than Vandy, Georgia, UT and South Carolina. Wake has played the top teams in the ACC very tough and just hadn't broke through with a lot of wins until last night.
Based on what? Your opinion? The numbers don't agree with you.

You've won a lot of SEC games with your C game. Like other posters have said, your C game wouldn't cut it in the ACC. We've had ACC road games where our A game wasn't enough and we've had ACC road games where we had our C game and got blown out. And yet we are undefeated at home in the ACC. In the SEC you can walk in, get the balls out, play your C game and then coast to a victory on most nights.
What grade are you giving UL for last night?

What grade are you giving the Noles for February?

Quite honestly, you're opinions are really weak and have zero factual evidence.

You mean like the 9 ACC teams in the RPI Top 40? How about the 13 ACC teams in the RPI Top 100? Our bottom feeders have competed very well against teams out of conference. Clemson, who is in 12th place in the ACC, has a 3-0 records against the SEC. Pitt, in 13th place in the ACC, beat Maryland who is in the top third of the Big 10.

What grade do I give Louisville? Well, I thought they played pretty well. I give Wake Forest credit for holding serve at home. Wake has a so so record because of the conference they play in. Wake is in the Top 40 in the RPI. In fact, Clemson and Pitt who are in the bottom tier of the ACC, are in the Top 60 of the RPI. There are only two real weak teams in the ACC. That would be BC and NC State. But even those teams have been competitive at times but don't have many wins to show for it.

What grade do I give FSU for February? Well, we went 5-3 in the month of February in the best conference in the country with 5 of those games being played on the road so I think we did just fine.

Really? Your team has squeaked by a bunch of garbage teams.

Factual evidence? The SEC is 1-32 against ranked teams OOC, your conference is getting too much credit for losing imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT