ADVERTISEMENT

UK would be lucky to finish top 6 in ACC

Jun 24, 2009
I truly do believe that. They are once again propped up by the pathetic SEC. This UK team would be lucky to finish in the top 6 in the ACC and would probably be no better than 11 - 7 (I honestly think 10-8 or 9-9) in the ACC. Very mediocre team that will sadly be over seeded by playing in a mid-major conference.

You my friend are correct. They just are not that good, period. They are SO damn lucky that they play in the SEZ. That conference is an absolute joke.

Reactions: American Male
But, but, what about Ray Mears and the Ernie and Bernie show, and wait minute, that was forty years ago, never mind.

Playing in the ACC in basketball today is like playing in the SEC used to be in football. You remember, before the SEC East collapsed and your team started winning conference games.

Even the middle tier basketball teams in the ACC would compete for a title in conferences like the SEC, Big Ten, and Big XII. Hell, Clemson's 4-12 in the ACC and 3-0 in the SEC.

It's a lot easier to get up for 2-3 good teams on a schedule of 30 games. When you have to play two good teams every week, you can't circle any Super Bowls like LPT can circle Carolina, UCLA, or Louisville.

A slapd!ck football fan should already know this stuff. Unless you're a fan of Bama.

:cool:

LPT Football: We have a few of those...

All coming from a team that finally beat us at home by 3????? Whose record vs top 25 is almost the same. So if we suck so bad, then your overrated. Simple as that. Because you take your win vs us away who have you beat to prove yourself? Duke? Hahahah. Even you all know that ranking is a gift that only duke would get. Not to mention we beat NC whose the best team in your conference.

Wow how delusional can you be? Newsflash buddy, right now besides us UNC, FSU and Notre Dame would all beat you either away or at Rupp. VT if they are having one of their crazy shooting nights would beat you all. Virginia probably doesn't beat you all at Rupp but definitely beats you in Charlottesville. Duke beats you in Durham and probably beats you at Rupp. Even Syracuse and Miami would have a decent chance to beat you.

As Zipp said unlike you all who can circle games and basically make them into Super Bowls you can't overlook a single team in the ACC. Virginia Tech, Virginia, Miami, Duke and Syracuse are all middle of the pack ACC teams that could either win the SEC or in the very least finish in the top 2 or 3.

I understand, you wouldn't know what its like to play in a real basketball conference instead of the pitiful mid major SEC. You see buddy, when you play like you did tonight against Vanderbilt or like you did against LSU in the ACC, you lose. You all can play at 70 or 80% in all but 3 or 4 SEC games and still win. You play at 70 or 80% in the ACC you are going to lose every night. But again I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Oh and just to remind you, here's a record to remember, 2 - 4. What is that record, that's your record against current top 25 teams with none of them being on the road. Since you lost to us the only good teams you have played against are Kansas and Florida and you are 1 - 2 in those games. Played 3 ranked teams in the last 19 games, absolutely pathetic.

I look forward to seeing you and the rest of the SEC going home the first weekend as usual in the tournament and letting the big boys play. Florida is the only one that might have a chance to make it past the first weekend. It sure as heck won't be UK after what I saw tonight.

UK should be no better than a 4 seed but we all know UK will get its preferential treatment and get a 2 or 3 seed. If UK does get a 2 seed I hope they are in the same bracket as VT as a 7 seed. I think VT would shoot them right off the floor into an early exit.

All coming from a team that finally beat us at home by 3????? Whose record vs top 25 is almost the same. So if we suck so bad, then your overrated. Simple as that. Because you take your win vs us away who have you beat to prove yourself? Duke? Hahahah. Even you all know that ranking is a gift that only duke would get. Not to mention we beat NC whose the best team in your conference.
Congrats on keeping it close with us.

Moral victory > real victory?

It obviously bothers you guys more than it does anyone else that we are in the SEC. it sucks playing in a five bid league instead of a more basketball prominent league but once again it is what it is.

Historically it hasn't hurt us but playing more games against elite teams would obviously help our experience come tournament time.

Maybe this board should start a gofundme to help support a move to another conference. As much attention as it gets here I imagine a lot of you would be willing to participate in something like that. What do ya say zip?

Edit: we beat the ACC leader and only lost at home by 3 to arguably the second best team. It's not as big of a deal as you guys want it to be.

I truly do believe that. They are once again propped up by the pathetic SEC. This UK team would be lucky to finish in the top 6 in the ACC and would probably be no better than 11 - 7 (I honestly think 10-8 or 9-9) in the ACC. Very mediocre team that will sadly be over seeded by playing in a mid-major conference.

I don't see the benefit of downplaying one of our excellent OOC victories this season.

ThroughBlue I know why you all want to stay in the SEC, it essentially guarantees you as a tournament team every year. If you were in the ACC right now you could easily be on the bubble. In the very least it also guarantees you better seeding which guarantees easier matchups on the first weekend. You'll probably be a 2 or 3 seed in the tournament when in reality UK should be no better than a 4 seed in this tournament. There are definitely at least 12 teams better than UK this year.

Funny how you all are trying to do a pathetic moral victory against us earlier in the year. I thought as a basketball blue blood you were better than that. If you want to go the moral victory route should I remind you that we were a few plays away from beating Cal's NC team in the Final Four in 2012? We were tied in that game with 9 minutes to go and were far closer to beating Cal's best team than UK was of beating us back in December. Or how badly we outplayed Cal's 2014 UK team in the Sweet 16 but essentially choked and let you all throw in a few crazy shots to win. You want to act like all of Cal's victories over UofL have been 30 point blowouts, the reality is out of Cal's 7 wins against UofL at UK only 1 has been more than 8 points. So using your standard we could claim all of those as moral victories and in several of them we were far closer to beating you all then you were of beating us back in December.

That's why I hate you all being in the SEC, it lets you just prepare for the tournament for 2 months while other top teams are battling it out nightly. It gives you all an advantage of getting seeded higher than you all deserve. I dislike Gonzaga for the same reason, Gonzaga will probably get a 1 or 2 seed and they don't deserve either one. I put the SEC on the part with the Big West and other mid-major conferences.

I don't see the benefit of downplaying one of our excellent OOC victories this season.

I'm not downplaying our OOC victory over UK, I'm saying UK is going to get at least a 3 seed and probably a 2 seed when they are undeserving. They should be a 4 seed at best but of course being in the SEC they get a patsy schedule.

These 12 teams alone should be ahead of UK in seeding but a lot of them won't be:

Villanova - 1
UCLA - 1
UNC - 1
Kansas - 1
UofL - 2
Oregon - 2
Arizona - 2
Baylor - 2
Gonzaga - 3
Purdue - 3
Duke - 3
FSU - 3

Last edited:
ThroughBlue I know why you all want to stay in the SEC, it essentially guarantees you as a tournament team every year. If you were in the ACC right now you could easily be on the bubble. In the very least it also guarantees you better seeding which guarantees easier matchups on the first weekend. You'll probably be a 2 or 3 seed in the tournament when in reality UK should be no better than a 4 seed in this tournament. There are definitely at least 12 teams better than UK this year.

Funny how you all are trying to do a pathetic moral victory against us earlier in the year. I thought as a basketball blue blood you were better than that. If you want to go the moral victory route should I remind you that we were a few plays away from beating Cal's NC team in the Final Four in 2012? We were tied in that game with 9 minutes to go and were far closer to beating Cal's best team than UK was of beating us back in December. Or how badly we outplayed Cal's 2014 UK team in the Sweet 16 but essentially choked and let you all throw in a few crazy shots to win. You want to act like all of Cal's victories over UofL have been 30 point blowouts, the reality is out of Cal's 7 wins against UofL at UK only 1 has been more than 8 points. So using your standard we could claim all of those as moral victories and in several of them we were far closer to beating you all then you were of beating us back in December.

That's why I hate you all being in the SEC, it lets you just prepare for the tournament for 2 months while other top teams are battling it out nightly. It gives you all an advantage of getting seeded higher than you all deserve. I dislike Gonzaga for the same reason, Gonzaga will probably get a 1 or 2 seed and they don't deserve either one. I put the SEC on the part with the Big West and other mid-major conferences.
It's hard to keep up with your post but I will try to decipher the hate.

1.) if you really think the only reason Kentucky has stayed in the SEC is to guarantee a trip to the NCAA-t then I shouldn't even continue this discussion because you are obviously Blinded by your (over the top) hate but I'm going to anyway.

2.) I can support your theory that we would be a lower seed if in a tougher conference but to say we would be on the bubble is a stretch.

3.) in all my years of being a Kentucky basketball fan I have never once logged a moral victory. Every loss bothersome me to an extent. I used our game against Louisville as an example of us against the ACC. You guys are normally top of the conference so naturally I would use our annual game as somewhat of a measuring stick against the conference.

Don't let your hate of Kentucky take you away from facts

Reactions: new era cat
It's hard to keep up with your post but I will try to decipher the hate.

1.) if you really think the only reason Kentucky has stayed in the SEC is to guarantee a trip to the NCAA-t then I shouldn't even continue this discussion because you are obviously Blinded by your (over the top) hate but I'm going to anyway.

2.) I can support your theory that we would be a lower seed if in a tougher conference but to say we would be on the bubble is a stretch.

3.) in all my years of being a Kentucky basketball fan I have never once logged a moral victory. Every loss bothersome me to an extent. I used our game against Louisville as an example of us against the ACC. You guys are normally top of the conference so naturally I would use our annual game as somewhat of a measuring stick against the conference.

Don't let your hate of Kentucky take you away from facts

ThroughBlue what you don't understand is that the ACC in basketball is like what you all claimed the SEC is like in football all those years. In the SEC in basketball you can essentially circle 3 - 4 games a year as being "Super Bowl" type games, typically the 2 games against UF and then games against 1 or 2 other decent teams. All of the other teams UK can play at 70-80% and still win easily, just look at your game last night against Vanderbilt and the LSU game.

In the ACC if you play like UK played last night you're going to get upset. With the exception of the bottom 2 - 3 teams any ACC team can beat you on any night. So there is that constant conference grind, you have very few easy games and you can't circle a couple of games each year as "Super Bowl" games.

Since Cal has been at UK he has circled the UofL game as one of his "Super Bowl" games each year because in a lot of years the UofL game is one of the last regular season games his UK team will play before the tournament. Typically 1 team in that SEC-Big 12 challenge and maybe 1 or 2 SEC teams but that's it. For us on the other hand the season is just starting as we know we have a tough 18 game conference grind ahead.

The UofL-UK game is a rivalry game so you can essentially throw out the records, especially being an early season game in December. Our 2013 NC team beat UK by 3 in December, if that game is played in March we win by 15 - 20. I believe the same is true for this year, I feel like we have improved significantly since December while UK has largely stayed the same and that the game would not be as close if it was played now.

I would also remind you that yes you beat UNC in December, when Monk had a once in a lifetime type game, and still only beat UNC by 3. I feel the same way about UNC that I feel about us, that if the UNC-UK game was played now UNC wins by 10 - 15.

ThroughBlue what you don't understand is that the ACC in basketball is like what you all claimed the SEC is like in football all those years. In the SEC in basketball you can essentially circle 3 - 4 games a year as being "Super Bowl" type games, typically the 2 games against UF and then games against 1 or 2 other decent teams. All of the other teams UK can play at 70-80% and still win easily, just look at your game last night against Vanderbilt and the LSU game.

In the ACC if you play like UK played last night you're going to get upset. With the exception of the bottom 2 - 3 teams any ACC team can beat you on any night. So there is that constant conference grind, you have very few easy games and you can't circle a couple of games each year as "Super Bowl" games.

Since Cal has been at UK he has circled the UofL game as one of his "Super Bowl" games each year because in a lot of years the UofL game is one of the last regular season games his UK team will play before the tournament. Typically 1 team in that SEC-Big 12 challenge and maybe 1 or 2 SEC teams but that's it. For us on the other hand the season is just starting as we know we have a tough 18 game conference grind ahead.

The UofL-UK game is a rivalry game so you can essentially throw out the records, especially being an early season game in December. Our 2013 NC team beat UK by 3 in December, if that game is played in March we win by 15 - 20. I believe the same is true for this year, I feel like we have improved significantly since December while UK has largely stayed the same and that the game would not be as close if it was played now.
Correction... If you played like UK did last night or like UK does on most nights in the ACC you will seriously get blown out. Even the "crappy" teams in the ACC have the ability to tap that ass.

I watched the second half last night and Vandy is god awful. Very nonathletic and UofL would turn them over at will as would any team with a defense. They get flustered so easily and I honestly believe UofL could beat them by 30.UL just beat the cuse by 20.

Vandy is on par with a BCU or NC STATE. If UK is down by 20 to that team.....there is just no argument here anymore.

UK is not good, period. And yes, you only lost to the cards by 3....keep living off of that. its a rivalry. I have no doubt we beat your asses again if we meet. However, you guys probably wont make it out of the second round. You wont get those home cookin refs like you got against Florida.

Tell your pussy cat fans over on cats piss to quit puffing their chest and acting like vandy is some great win and you have turned some stupid corner. Fat Cal cant coach, period.

Vandy has lost to Bucknell, Middle Tennessee state, Butler, Minnesota, Dayton, Alabama (SEC powerhouse),Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and MISSOURI!!

And you guys are over there saying, "guys we just beat a tourny team"....If thats a freaking ncaa tournament team then God freaking help me. UK fans are clowns.

I'm not downplaying our OOC victory over UK, I'm saying UK is going to get at least a 3 seed and probably a 2 seed when they are undeserving. They should be a 4 seed at best but of course being in the SEC they get a patsy schedule.

These 12 teams alone should be ahead of UK in seeding but a lot of them won't be:

Villanova - 1
UCLA - 1
UNC - 1
Kansas - 1
UofL - 2
Oregon - 2
Arizona - 2
Baylor - 2
Gonzaga - 3
Purdue - 3
Duke - 3
FSU - 3

SOS rankings, so we can see how much UK benefits from the patsy schedule they have played this year vs the meat grinders the above teams have all gone through.

Villanova - 24
UCLA - 79
UNC - 11
Kansas - 8
Louisville - 12
Oregon - 63
Arizona - 68
Baylor - 5
Zags - 135
Purdue - 54
Duke - 22
FSU - 29

Kentucky - 28

We sure are lucky we get spoon fed such an easy schedule. I'd hate to have to play the same gauntlet of teams your list had to fight through.

1.) Vandy is a tourney team that was fighting for their life last night. I will give you that we didn't play great but who does every game?

2.)Louisville has never been our super bowl. It is however a big game against an in state foe. It's certainly a lot bigger for the fans than it is the players.
I would also remind you that yes you beat UNC in December, when Monk had a once in a lifetime type game, and still only beat UNC by 3. I feel the same way about UNC that I feel about us, that if the UNC-UK game was played now UNC wins by 10 - 15.

What about jacksons "once in a life time game"? Monk has had a twenty point half a few times this year and multiple 30pt games. Stop selling him short if you're not gonna do the same to Jackson who also went way above his average.

I'll say it again, your hate blinds you from the facts. You can hate Kentucky and still be objective you're just not doing it right now. I guess it's easier for me to be objective about Louisville because I don't hate the program or it's fans.

Reactions: awf
Vanderbilt is not a NCAA tourney team. Not at 16-14 and a 9-8 conference record.

Not even you can apply enough lipstick to make that pig pretty enough for the NCAA tourney.
Lunardi had them in. If they beat Florida this weekend I would say as long as they don't lose the first sec-t game they will be in. Again, according to lunardi.

Lunardi had them in. If they beat Florida this weekend I would say as long as they don't lose the first sec-t game they will be in. Again, according to lunardi.
That's a moving target which shouldn't even be looked at before the conference tournaments. Right now Vanderbilt is 7th in the SEC. No way the SEC gets 7 bids. I can see as many as 5, but more than likely it'll be a max of 4. Lunardi won't have them in today. Not after last night. No such thing as a good loss. It's still a loss.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Vandy was 6-6 against a very average out of conference schedule....and then they benefit from a lesser conference schedule.

That's a moving target which shouldn't even be looked at before the conference tournaments. Right now Vanderbilt is 7th in the SEC. No way the SEC gets 7 bids. I can see as many as 5, but more than likely it'll be a max of 4. Lunardi won't have them in today. Not after last night. No such thing as a good loss. It's still a loss.
Vandys SoS is what is keeping them in the conversation. This is coming from
Someone who generally dislikes Vandy but I don't think lunardi penalizes them for losing @ Rupp but if they lose to Florida it's a moot point. Beat Florida and win a couple in the sec-t and they have a fighting chance.

again..Vandy has lost to Bucknell, Middle Tennessee state, Butler, Minnesota, Dayton, Alabama (SEC powerhouse),Tennessee, Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and MISSOURI!!

yea hell of an SEC power house and tourney team. Actually, just your typical SEC team.

Reactions: zipp
Go look up there schedule strength then get back to me.
Butler is the only ranked team that they played out of conference. I don't care what metric you use, look at the teams they've played and explain the toughness to me. Their best OOC win was Chattanooga for petes sake.

They lost to Missouri by 20 points. That's the 7-22 Missouri Tigers. That LONE result (along with 14 regular season losses to date) should eliminate them from consideration for the NCAA tourney. I don't give two flips how strong their SOS is/was. Losing to a 22 loss team by 20 points in unforgivable.

I happen to agree with you that Vandy doesn't deserve a tourney bid - but good teams lose to bad teams all the time in the regular season. Hell, UK lost to South Carolina during the train wreck regular season in 2014 (SC went 14-20 that year, and 5-13 in the SEC) but managed to pick up the pieces and take out 4 excellent teams on the way to the title game.

Vandy doesn't deserve one because their body of work stinks, period.

Butler is the only ranked team that they played out of conference. I don't care what metric you use, look at the teams they've played and explain the toughness to me. Their best OOC win was Chattanooga for petes sake.
I'm not arguing that they should or shouldn't have a SoS that high. Like I said I'm usually against Vandy in anything. I just think if they beat Florida and don't lose their first tournament game they will be in

I happen to agree with you that Vandy doesn't deserve a tourney bid - but good teams lose to bad teams all the time in the regular season. Hell, UK lost to South Carolina during the train wreck regular season in 2014 (SC went 14-20 that year, and 5-13 in the SEC) but managed to pick up the pieces and take out 4 excellent teams on the way to the title game.

Vandy doesn't deserve one because their body of work stinks, period.
LOL, true but that SC team had double the wins this current Missouri team has. The Tigers aren't just bad. They are horrible. I've seen stronger High School teams play this year. It's difficult to understand how any D1 team in the country could lose to Missouri this year.

That's why I hate you all being in the SEC, it lets you just prepare for the tournament for 2 months while other top teams are battling it out nightly.

Man, it must have drove you nuts when Louisville football was ranked beating all those teams in the watered-down later 2000's Big East and AAC.

Last edited:
The SEC I think is on the verge of turning it M around. They got some coaches in, and now the players. Time will tell. But as I proved with the numbers in the OP the SEC is the same or better than the B12 when it comes to performance in the tournament, but you won't hear them talk about that, just the SEC. Thats only because of Kentucky, and only because it's their only sound point to any argument

I do it with a clear conscience since I don't want them on our schedule. But that is a problem for many U of L fans.

"Elite program," my a$$...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT