ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Night attendance magic number: 17,084...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it defies logic that they're staying away because of Pitino and Jurich and Bowen and a few hos.

Some people just never heal. Some are just so stubborn. It doesn't matter what they get told in the information society. Yeah some chicks will take back an ex lover who banged their best friend. They'll like literally get back together within 2 weeks. But other chicks will never forgive you for leaving the toilet seat up. They never forget no matter how many times you put the toilet seat down the last five years.. Chicks...

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Some people just never heal. Some are just so stubborn. It doesn't matter what they get told in the information society. Yeah some chicks will take back an ex lover who banged their best friend. They'll like literally get back together within 2 weeks. But other chicks will never forgive you for leaving the toilet seat up. They never forget no matter how many times you put the toilet seat down the last five years.. Chicks...
I'll put it this way that doesn't need maybes or hypotheticals...

I haven't met the first former season ticket holder--and I've met a number of them--who claims he stopped buying because of the now-distant past. In fact, as pro-"Vince" as this place sometimes is, I haven't read anyone here claim that. If your theory is true, there oughta be plenty of those people who are still unhappy and willing to go on record with that explanation.

And great if you can produce just one of them. I'd like to debate how it makes any sense penalizing the new regime for the behavior of the old regime. I honestly hope you can find that person, and I'll take it from there... :cool:

USC football saw an even more pronounced drop in football attendance after their cheating crap came out. And they never got back to those pre-scandal days.

People got tired of the bullshit. Once they stayed at home and watched the game they realized that they didn’t have to go to games. Once you lose a customer it’s awfully hard to get them back. And it’s even more difficult to get someone to replace them at those high price points.

Well, there's five thousand or so people who used to attend basketball games a short while ago who care about something.

And it defies logic that they're staying away because of Pitino and Jurich and Bowen and a few hos. Not when they're all gone, and the people we have running things now are vast improvements. That's unless the U of L fanbase is plagued by a disproportionate share of idiots...

Well people aren’t staying away as much as you’d like to think, we did have +21000 for the unc game.

The attendance average decline is a most surely a combination of multiple things, but the new regime is not one of those things, if it were then you are correct that the UofL fan base would have its share of idiots.

USC football saw an even more pronounced drop in football attendance after their cheating crap came out. And they never got back to those pre-scandal days.

People got tired of the bullshit. Once they stayed at home and watched the game they realized that they didn’t have to go to games. Once you lose a customer it’s awfully hard to get them back. And it’s even more difficult to get someone to replace them at those high price points.
I guess the clowns now in charge should have taken stock of that before they fell on their sword and gave everyone the boot. Big mistake by your guys.

And since one example evidently makes your case...

Baylor football went thru one helluva scandal several years ago. This past season, they averaged 101% of capacity for their home games. Oops!

I guess the clowns now in charge should have taken stock of that before they fell on their sword and gave everyone the boot. Big mistake by your guys.

Baylor football went thru one helluva scandal several years ago. This past season, they averaged 101% of capacity for their home games. Oops!

...or don’t cheat and/or self-impose sanctions and risk fans deciding to stay home. Was a big mistake to cheat and then to compound it by self-imposing. Lessons learned.

I guess I don’t understand the point of this post. Are you still butt hurt that Pitino is not at Louisville?
he didnt

And the prior clown should have thought of that too before expanding the football stadium.

...And the prior clown should have thought of that too before expanding the football stadium.
The record shows that the prior regime never had any problems filling stadiums and expansions.

Something else the clown show overlooked...

...or don’t cheat and/or self-impose sanctions and risk fans deciding to stay home. Was a big mistake to cheat and then to compound it by self-imposing. Lessons learned.
Are you saying that our transgressions were worse than Baylor's?

Before you back yourself all the way into that hole, you want me to trot out Penn State's football attendance post-Paterno/Sandusky?

As to your Baylor example - the past three years of attendance for them have been lower than the 3 years prior to their scandal. And that includes this past season which was historically good and featured prime time home matchups against Texas and Oklahoma.

Are you saying that our transgressions were worse than Baylor's?

Before you back yourself all the way into that hole, you want me to trot out Penn State's football attendance post-Paterno/Sandusky?

Not sure how you got that out of my post but then again you are impressive at creating false narratives. Clearly our transgressions weren’t worse than Baylor’s. I do wonder if Baylor will get its attendance back though.

As to your Baylor example - the past three years of attendance for them have been lower than the 3 years prior to their scandal. And that includes this past season which was historically good and featured prime time home matchups against Texas and Oklahoma.
How much lower? What were they hitting, 150% of capacity?

Post your numbers...

Not sure how you got that out of my post but then again you are impressive at creating false narratives. Clearly our transgressions weren’t worse than Baylor’s. I do wonder if Baylor will get its attendance back though.
Talk about false narratives... You're throwing shade at 101% of capacity. We'll kill for that for ONE game--in EITHER football or basketball...

How much lower? What were they hitting, 150% of capacity?

Post your numbers...

2014 - 46710
2015 - 46160
2016 - 45838
2017 - 43830
2018 - 41336
2019 - 45517

So do you think that Baylor fans had a problem with Matt Rhule? Did they not all come back because they blame him for the transgressions?

2014 - 46710
2015 - 46160
2016 - 45838
2017 - 43830
2018 - 41336
2019 - 45517

So do you think that Baylor fans had a problem with Matt Rhule? Did they not all come back because they blame him for the transgressions?
For starters, Baylor's football stadium capacity is 45,140. In the worst year in that data series, Baylor was at 92% of capacity. We now AVERAGE less than 75% of capacity at Bailout Arena.

The decline from 2014 to 2018 in that data series was less than 12%. Those are the worst points to compare. In Rhule's first year (2017), attendance declined 4% YOY. Baylor's attendance last year was 97% of their attendance five years prior (2014).

Our decline in basketball from 2017 to 2019 was 20%. And we have to hit 17,000 next Sunday to beat last year, which was a generational low.

IOW, no comparison. As I said, I can deep dive Penn State's football attendance if you wanna see how much Paterno and Sandusky permanently affected the Nittany Lions...

Last edited:
For starters, Baylor's football stadium capacity is 45,140.

The decline from 2014 to 2018 in that data series was less than 12%. Those are the worst points to compare. In Rhule's first year (2017), attendance declined 4% YOY. Baylor's attendance last year was 99% of their attendance four years prior (2015).

Our decline in basketball from 2017 to 2019 was 20%. And we have to hit 17,000 next Sunday to beat last year, which was a generational low.

IOW, no comparison...

Facts are facts. Their attendance dropped after their scandal and hasn’t returned to pre-scandal amounts. And that’s in Waco, Texas where there is literally nothing to do but watch football. You might want to research a little more before suggesting schools that don’t support your narrative. Lol!

Facts are facts. Their attendance dropped after their scandal and hasn’t returned to pre-scandal amounts. And that’s in Waco, Texas where there is literally nothing to do but watch football. You might want to research a little more before suggesting schools that don’t support your narrative. Lol!
How many people live in Waco to draw from? You missed that "fact".

Only in the world of a clown show apologist is <75% of capacity on par with Baylor. Lol!!

How many people live in Waco to draw from? You missed that "fact".

Only in the world of a clown show apologist is <75% of capacity on par with Baylor. Lol!!

Too bad the numbers don’t support your narrative. Time to deflect.

You can add Syracuse basketball to the list of programs that have faced NCAA sanctions and not returned to pre-sanctions attendance levels. Since they self-imposed in 2015, they’ve had a nice drop in attendance. Wonder what’s keeping their fans from coming back? Must be their AD.

So we have Baylor, USC and Syracuse that all work against your narrative.

You can add Syracuse basketball to the list of programs that have faced NCAA sanctions and not returned to pre-sanctions attendance levels. Since they self-imposed in 2015, they’ve had a nice drop in attendance. Wonder what’s keeping their fans from coming back? Must be their AD.

So we have Baylor, USC and Syracuse that all work against your narrative.
Not that I needed more support, but the Cuse is #1 nationally in attendance.

Keep going... :p

I'll put it this way that doesn't need maybes or hypotheticals...

I haven't met the first former season ticket holder--and I've met a number of them--who claims he stopped buying because of the now-distant past. In fact, as pro-"Vince" as this place sometimes is, I haven't read anyone here claim that. If your theory is true, there oughta be plenty of those people who are still unhappy and willing to go on record with that explanation.

And great if you can produce just one of them. I'd like to debate how it makes any sense penalizing the new regime for the behavior of the old regime. I honestly hope you can find that person, and I'll take it from there... :cool:

The "People You May Know" feature on FB is kind of cool, but I'm not sure it's all that relevant for trying to figure out why fans stopped going to games. Unless you know everybody. Gotta say I know more people than I wish I did!

We can add Ole Miss football to the list of schools that saw attendance declines following NCAA sanctions. In fact 2019 was their lowest since 2001, despite expanding their stadium. The whole High Freeze staff was canned so it is surprising the fans would take their frustrations out on the new regime.

If your theory is true, there :cool:

My last post on page 1 could have been missed. I'll bring it in again below... I'll bold type some key points, which should make my "theory" a little more clear for you.

In all seriousness, and man I mean it... the UofL brass should conduct an extensive reach-out to all ticket holders that are no longer...and craft a questionnaire to attempt to identify how to bring them back, why it is they left, etc. Maybe they have done this. I do not know. Getting those who hit the road to put their feelings in print is the only way anybody is REALLY gonna know. I don't pretend to know. I'm just taking a look @ the checkpoints in time in regards to history of hookers, NCAA self banning, and FBI Wire taps and I'm maybe wrong, but I just think these things are a turn off for the average family of 4. I'm sure there are many other factors, like $10 beers, parking, the damn economy in general... big screen TVs with my lady bringing me cookies and rubbing my feet during time-outs... can't do that in Section _____....oh wait that's just TMI my bad.

I do know the program fell from 3rd to 6th nationally. Since they appear to be holding at 6th I'm personally.... not that concerned. I'm really not. They are still what, roughly 3x greater than the average? If this was a drop from 3rd to 15th to 25th to 42nd etc, etc, etc... I'd be concerned I guess. But that ain't what's happening.

If they fell from 3rd to 6th in the NL East MLB Standings then yeah, that's gonna be a problem for everybody that's part of that.

Reactions: zipp
In fact, as pro-"Vince" as this place sometimes is, :cool:

This is a more general point that I think you need clarity on. I know you are going to simply reject this response because, that is how you do you but...

It is my opinion, prior to your 2 + years of spamming Vince, the posters on this board were probably mostly neutral or indifferent in regards to how they felt about that guy. There may have even been more people unsure about the guy than favoring him back then. I bet half the board couldn't identify him in a police lineup back then.

I think some, maybe even a lot of the pushback posters give on you about Vince is simply a rebuttal to your redundant spamming of the guy, not so much their strong support of him on a personal level. Kind of a shoot the redundant messenger as much as the message.

Of course, fans want to see him do well because there would appear to be a linkage between his performance and the success of the athletic programs UofL fans cheer for. I'm sure that could be debated somehow, what can't be debated?

I could be wrong. I don't think I could still identify him in a police lineup.

I think most fans are happy with how the "heavy lifting" programs are doing, but then, you gotta do you and I get that. I don't think anybody is drinking his bath water. I think people are just tired of your redundancy, or maybe just like to argue and have fun with disagreements....and you misinterpret that as a cult following for a guy that's been here a few years. Contrarians to the contrarian!!!!

Syracuse

2016-21,500
2017-21,180
2018-21,460
2019-22,000

Syracuse

2013-22,430
2014-26,250
2015-23,850

So I dunno...
So eyeballing it, their average between the earliest and last data points in that range was -430 fans. Where I come from, they don't call that much of a trend...

We can add Ole Miss football to the list of schools that saw attendance declines following NCAA sanctions. In fact 2019 was their lowest since 2001, despite expanding their stadium. The whole High Freeze staff was canned so it is surprising the fans would take their frustrations out on the new regime.
Let's have the numbers, not your slant on the numbers. I'll do my own analysis, thanks...

My last post on page 1 could have been missed. I'll bring it in again below... I'll bold type some key points, which should make my "theory" a little more clear for you.

In all seriousness, and man I mean it... the UofL brass should conduct an extensive reach-out to all ticket holders that are no longer...and craft a questionnaire to attempt to identify how to bring them back, why it is they left, etc. Maybe they have done this. I do not know. Getting those who hit the road to put their feelings in print is the only way anybody is REALLY gonna know. I don't pretend to know. I'm just taking a look @ the checkpoints in time in regards to history of hookers, NCAA self banning, and FBI Wire taps and I'm maybe wrong, but I just think these things are a turn off for the average family of 4. I'm sure there are many other factors, like $10 beers, parking, the damn economy in general... big screen TVs with my lady bringing me cookies and rubbing my feet during time-outs... can't do that in Section _____....oh wait that's just TMI my bad.

I do know the program fell from 3rd to 6th nationally. Since they appear to be holding at 6th I'm personally.... not that concerned. I'm really not. They are still what, roughly 3x greater than the average? If this was a drop from 3rd to 15th to 25th to 42nd etc, etc, etc... I'd be concerned I guess. But that ain't what's happening.

If they fell from 3rd to 6th in the NL East MLB Standings then yeah, that's gonna be a problem for everybody that's part of that.
I agree with most of your comments. The problem IMO that U of L faces or will be facing is that (1) basketball revenue still drives a lot of our financials, and (2) those financials need help. While #6 in the country is not small potatoes, five thousand fewer fans on average is a big missed opportunity to rebuild our finances.

And until a systematic analysis is done, all anyone can do is speculate why fans aren't flocking back..

This is a more general point that I think you need clarity on. I know you are going to simply reject this response because, that is how you do you but...

It is my opinion, prior to your 2 + years of spamming Vince, the posters on this board were probably mostly neutral or indifferent in regards to how they felt about that guy. There may have even been more people unsure about the guy than favoring him back then. I bet half the board couldn't identify him in a police lineup back then.

I think some, maybe even a lot of the pushback posters give on you about Vince is simply a rebuttal to your redundant spamming of the guy, not so much their strong support of him on a personal level. Kind of a shoot the redundant messenger as much as the message.

Of course, fans want to see him do well because there would appear to be a linkage between his performance and the success of the athletic programs UofL fans cheer for. I'm sure that could be debated somehow, what can't be debated?

I could be wrong. I don't think I could still identify him in a police lineup.

I think most fans are happy with how the "heavy lifting" programs are doing, but then, you gotta do you and I get that. I don't think anybody is drinking his bath water. I think people are just tired of your redundancy, or maybe just like to argue and have fun with disagreements....and you misinterpret that as a cult following for a guy that's been here a few years. Contrarians to the contrarian!!!!
Prefacing, I'll gladly admit that I have a polarizing effect on most people. But I'm not leading an army or the boy scouts, so I don't recognize that as a personal problem. Rather, on a message board, it helps clarify people's stances on issues. Who doesn't want more of that?

But I think you seriously undersell the pro-"Vince" sentiment from too many in this space, and maybe you're speaking more for yourself. I don't have a problem with people rooting for him to succeed for the reason you mention, his direct linkage to athletics. My problem is when that rooting leads to blindness, and I ramp up my attention and rhetoric as a result.

In that respect, I'm afraid you haven't convinced me I'm doing anything I shouldn't be doing. When I start to see a more critical balance on certain issues, maybe my engagement will start to diminish. We can only hope... :)

Last edited:
Keep in mind we have a weird fanbase, for reals. How many other teams have fans leaving football games at halftime to beat traffic LOL!

I dunno man. Let's hope we live long enough to follow the trend on attendance.

Keep in mind we have a weird fanbase, for reals. How many other teams have fans leaving football games at halftime to beat traffic LOL!

I dunno man. Let's hope we live long enough to follow the trend on attendance.

Masses of fans leaving the games early...I’ve never understood that. I get that there will be people here and there that have commitments, but man sometimes the stadium/arena clears out. My message to those fans who want to beat traffic: Just relax, enjoy the game, don’t get yourself in a hurry, and just enjoy life, don’t worry be happy!:)

Reactions: zipp
It’s not news that attendance is down anywhere. You of course know that, or should. What’s news is the hockey stick that our attendance shows. (See chart in the OP.) And precisely what that sharp decline coincided with.

If you think you have a data series that compares to ours, post a link or the raw data. I’ll be glad to analyze it...

Just as I expected...another deflection. Coach Pitino must be so proud. The Ole Miss attendance has dropped post-NCAA troubles. Just like they have at Baylor, Syracuse, USC. Seems that NCAA infractions have a negative impact on attendance. Or perhaps all these fanbases are just mad at their ADs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT