ADVERTISEMENT

Kelsey - Concerning

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Some scuttlebutt that Pat Kelsey is atop the leaderboard. This is one guy where Heird would lose me. I don’t believe he’d be a good fit. He’s a big win the press conference, slogan guy. I just don’t think that fake juice, rah rah Dabo stuff flies well at UofL. We need a guy with a chip on his shoulder and some stones to back it up. More importantly he pulled the ultimate Dusty May and recanted on UMASS days after accepting a head coaching job. Was he afraid of the tougher conference? He also resigned as Associate Head Coach at Xavier and left coaching for a year. Two of his coaching influences are Chris Mack and Dino Gaudio. This would be the kind of unimaginative hire that gets an AD three years before he’s fired.

Maybe all the arm chair qbs should take a chill pill and let this play out. This one has spots! If you are a Pink Floyd fan you might catch my reference. How many of you folks would have screamed bloody heck at TJ when you find out he was hiring a coach from Utah State in the 90s? I really don’t have a clue. Just would prefer no show cause stuff.

Some scuttlebutt that Pat Kelsey is atop the leaderboard. This is one guy where Heird would lose me. I don’t believe he’d be a good fit. He’s a big win the press conference, slogan guy. I just don’t think that fake juice, rah rah Dabo stuff flies well at UofL. We need a guy with a chip on his shoulder and some stones to back it up. More importantly he pulled the ultimate Dusty May and recanted on UMASS days after accepting a head coaching job. Was he afraid of the tougher conference? He also resigned as Associate Head Coach at Xavier and left coaching for a year. Two of his coaching influences are Chris Mack and Dino Gaudio. This would be the kind of unimaginative hire that gets an AD three years before he’s fired.
These are my concerns as well. I'm with you 100% on this, and given that Heird's job is basically on the line, I don't see how he can overlook all this, especially the UMass recant when they were only minutes from the press conference and he changed his mind. If he wasn't comfortable with moving up to UMass, what makes anyone certain that he would be comfortable coming here and facing a much bigger spotlight? If it's between him and Schertz, I'm all in on Schertz. And maybe Cream / Larry Nerd would follow him... wouldn't that be great?

Maybe all the arm chair qbs should take a chill pill and let this play out. This one has spots! If you are a Pink Floyd fan you might catch my reference. How many of you folks would have screamed bloody heck at TJ when you find out he was hiring a coach from Utah State in the 90s? I really don’t have a clue. Just would prefer no show cause stuff.
Thanks for the recommendation but I’ve been pretty chill. Feel free to scroll on by if it affects your blood pressure. I’m open to many coaches just not this one.

These are my concerns as well. I'm with you 100% on this, and given that Heird's job is basically on the line, I don't see how he can overlook all this, especially the UMass recant when they were only minutes from the press conference and he changed his mind. If he wasn't comfortable with moving up to UMass, what makes anyone certain that he would be comfortable coming here and facing a much bigger spotlight? If it's between him and Schertz, I'm all in on Schertz. And maybe Cream / Larry Nerd would follow him... wouldn't that be great?
💯

You recall what we just had? Silence, idiotic comments, stupidity, with a Frankenstein-esque delivery style. Give me rah-rah. Give me a communicator.

W
Who the hell let all this riff raff in to the room.

Need to come to grips with all these guys having red flags. Distinguishing a difference is just guesswork. No matter who it is fans are going to have plenty of material to work with to bag on the guy, the guy that hired him, and whoever else they want to blame.

Probably in best interest of the program to get a hire within the next 48-72 hours so they can start trying to put together a team. If the guy is coaching in the NIT he can probably announce it and it has no real impact, still coach his current guys. I'd think?

If it's a guy still coaching in the NCAAT then it's fine to need to wait. And maybe a HC still working in the NCAA is a cut above what the rumors are telling us.

As others have said, all of these guys can be knocked for this or that. All I know is that Kelsey wins games. Whether he can in a bigger conference, nobody knows, just like with Schertz.

Knucklehank questioned whether Kelsey possibly was afraid of playing in a tougher conference when he backed out on UMass. I guess anything is possible but I seriously doubt that and it’s not like UMass plays in ACC or Big 12. It’s definitely not something that you want to see but I’ll forgive him for that as being young and impulsive.

The traits that I hear about him that I like is that he is a tireless worker and an upbeat guy who wins, without baggage or being an abrasive prick.

We all have our favorites for different reasons. Put me in the Kelsey camp with what’s left out there.

As others have said, all of these guys can be knocked for this or that. All I know is that Kelsey wins games. Whether he can in a bigger conference, nobody knows, just like with Schertz.

Knucklehank questioned whether Kelsey possibly was afraid of playing in a tougher conference when he backed out on UMass. I guess anything is possible but I seriously doubt that and it’s not like UMass plays in ACC or Big 12. It’s definitely not something that you want to see but I’ll forgive him for that as being young and impulsive.

The traits that I hear about him that I like is that he is a tireless worker and an upbeat guy who wins, without baggage or being an abrasive prick.

We all have our favorites for different reasons. Put me in the Kelsey camp with what’s left out there.
Would need a good understanding of why he bailed on UMASS and on his associate head coach position at Xavier. Coincidentally he was associate head coach under Mack who we also know cut and ran early.

Obviously a telephone pole would be a better communicator than Payne. I just know this fanbase and we have typically rallied most around chip on their shoulder, brash, somewhat assholeish coaches. We usually see through the fake juice guys. Nonetheless, winning is most important.

Would need a good understanding of why he bailed on UMASS and on his associate head coach position at Xavier. Coincidentally he was associate head coach under Mack who we also know cut and ran early.

Obviously a telephone pole would be a better communicator than Payne. I just know this fanbase and we have typically rallied most around chip on their shoulder, brash, somewhat assholeish coaches. We usually see through the fake juice guys. Nonetheless, winning is most important.
Yeah hopefully if Josh is going to hire him, he got to the bottom of him bailing on UMass. It should matter.

My thinking on Kelsey is that he seems extremely well organized and in tune with his players. I also think he can get us winning quickly, which is really important to this ailing fanbase. Who knows beyond that? I’ll also admit that if Kelsey didn’t produce early, the fans would get tired of his press conferences real quick lol.

Truth is I’d be worried but thrilled if Will Wade was the hire but all signs point to that being a no-go.

Reactions: David Gilmour
Yeah hopefully if Josh is going to hire him, he got to the bottom of him bailing on UMass. It should matter.

My thinking on Kelsey is that he seems extremely well organized and in tune with his players. I also think he can get us winning quickly, which is really important to this ailing fanbase. Who knows beyond that? I’ll also admit that if Kelsey didn’t produce early, the fans would get tired of his press conferences real quick lol.

Truth is I’d be worried but thrilled if Will Wade was the hire but all signs point to that being a no-go.
I just think we cant go there with Wade per the infractions. You can debate whether the infractions are legit or not,but bottom line,they are on his resume. We just got out of a hot mess. I'm not familiar with Kelsey,but I saw a Google article that claims he plays up tempo,which is a plus. I also saw where Jay Bilas says the guy is a great coach. So there's that. He comes in clean other than the Mass.deal.

The reality is that the media is going to be critical of UofL regardless. Given that - who gives AF what they say? Is it possible for the program to be at a lower point than it is now? With no coach and essentially no players?

Heird needs to cowboy up and hire the best coach PERIOD. Not someone who wins more press conferences than they do games.

When you think about it, Scherz might be the obvious choice at this point. He wins everywhere he goes, resurrected the moribund Indiana State program, no nasty baggage to deal with, runs an entertaining style- the only knock on him is that he comes from a “mid-major”. The challenge right now is that there aren’t any big-time coaches available, or they are sitting behind a massive buyout wall. If not for the buyout, Mick would at least get us a proven winning coach who has been here before and a head coach at a blue blood program. But he’s not in the picture. Guys from “mid-major” programs are all we are going to get right now. Scherz is a risk, but there are no risk free choices, I don’t care who the AD is.

The reality is that the media is going to be critical of UofL regardless. Given that - who gives AF what they say? Is it possible for the program to be at a lower point than it is now? With no coach and essentially no players?

Heird needs to cowboy up and hire the best coach PERIOD. Not someone who wins more press conferences than they do games.
Not disagreeing but everything that’s out there says Wade isn’t happening. Maybe Josh pulls a rabbit out of his hat with someone none of us are talking about.

Reactions: rh62531
Does Kelsey play pack line defense and a similar style to Chris Mack since they're from the same coaching tree?

Does Kelsey play pack line defense and a similar style to Chris Mack since they're from the same coaching tree?
From what I’ve seen and read, his teams play a high risk high reward game on both ends. Lots of in your face half court defense and pushing the ball up court while not afraid to shoot a ton of threes when they’re available.

YouTube is invaluable sometimes on this.

From what I’ve seen and read, his teams play a high risk high reward game on both ends. Lots of in your face half court defense and pushing the ball up court while not afraid to shoot a ton of threes when they’re available.

YouTube is invaluable sometimes on this.
Yeah,I went over to their site and talked to a few posters. First impression,they like the 3. Said if he were to come here with his staff, look for them to bring in shooters from like Australia. Guess they have a pipeline. Say his whole staff is solid. Asked about defense and I got a sense they were still salty about giving up over 100 vs. Bama. Some said defense was not his Forte. Said it would be similar to Mack Pac line. Some were down on him but like I say ,probably stinging from Bama game. Says he loves to get student bodies involved. Has a lot of gimics as far as promotions. I.e.whiteouts. Hard worker. Seems to like to play a lot of guys,maybe due to up tempo offense. My last question was would it hurt you guys to lose him and more than a few said yes. They want him as a Denny Crum type. Stay there forever.

I think either will be good. They are both offensive guys. I like Schertz background. I like that he has has studied Kaizan philosophy of continual improvement applying that to his programs. There is a lot of self analysis that comes with that philosophy.

The question for any of these candidates is can they handle the pressure of this job. It is impossible to know. None of these coaches have been in this kind of environment. The old Mike Tyson quote comes to mind everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. I actually appreciate the fact the May decided it may be too much for him and his family.

The whole Bobby V drama from yesterday is a good example. A relatively simple statement turned into a full blown news story. Think about how every statement is dissected by the media and fanbase. It is extremely difficult. As much as I hate narcissistic tendencies this job almost requires the coach to have a level of I don’t give a f@$?.

Reactions: David Gilmour

I agree but its not just the media that will be critical of the hire. Right now we need a coach that the majority of our fans can agree on and support. Otherwise, we are back to the wait and see what they can do. Honesty, I don't really know how I can support a Wade hire after claiming we are holier than thou university. I agree there's going to be sketicism with almost everyone considered but throwing darts on a wall and picking one is not the best method.

From what I have read about both Shertz & Kelsey, both seem to be good X & Os guys which we learned the hard way with KP is still very important. To me, it comes down to if either of these guys can recruit. That was the most shocking thing to me about KP. He had no clue how to build a roster. Not sure which of these Coaches can get the players in we need, but that is what I would be honing in on if I were JH.

For sure. Now there is radio scuttlebutt that Heird getting pressure to hire Richard Pitino. Heird already made one hire - KP - due to booster pressure. If he does it again then I’d question his backbone.
Not sure I understand that pressure. I watched that Clemson game and Richard did nothing to adjust as Clemson built that lead,even slow to call a timeout.
What's in a name? Apparently some think a lot 🤔

For sure. Now there is radio scuttlebutt that Heird getting pressure to hire Richard Pitino. Heird already made one hire - KP - due to booster pressure. If he does it again then I’d question his backbone.
After how Rick was treated, ain't no way Richard is coming here. Rick usually tries to attend as many of Richard's game but he also basically said I'm not stepping a foot into the Yum Center.

I agree but its not just the media that will be critical of the hire. Right now we need a coach that the majority of our fans can agree on and support. Otherwise, we are back to the wait and see what they can do. Honesty, I don't really know how I can support a Wade hire after claiming we are holier than thou university. I agree there's going to be sketicism with almost everyone considered but throwing darts on a wall and picking one is not the best method.
There’s the rub - there is no coach at this point in this particular process that the majority of fans will support. What will the majority of fans support?

Winning.

So hire the person that you feel would deliver on that the most reliably.

There are 2 money makers in UofL sports. One is on track and the other is on fire. Winning is the only job requirement and hiring another experiment that fails could cost Josh his job, as it should. Don't guess on this one, hire a known achiever and that's Wade.

Sorry. I didn't exactly say what I meant to say. Rick made the statement that he wouldn't return to Louisville unless Grissom and Schnatter were gone. I was simply saying that after the way Rick was treated when he left, do you honestly think Richard would want to coach here. Did the University "apologize" to Rick? Were amends made? If your dad was treated the way Rick was, would you come coach for them? How many BOT are still here... There would have to be a lot of pipe smoking to see this work out.

Sorry. I didn't exactly say what I meant to say. Rick made the statement that he wouldn't return to Louisville unless Grissom and Schnatter were gone. I was simply saying that after the way Rick was treated when he left, do you honestly think Richard would want to coach here. Did the University "apologize" to Rick? Were amends made? If your dad was treated the way Rick was, would you come coach for them? How many BOT are still here... There would have to be a lot of pipe smoking to see this work out.
Lots of people, including his top assistant at FIU Mark Lieberman, all saying Richard would love to coach UofL.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
OMG, 2 years later you just start to question a guy's backbaone after his quid pro quo AD job he took.

If it looks, sounds, & walks like a duck, it's a duck.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT