ADVERTISEMENT

Ol Big Blue and Ashley Judd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fortunate that financially I can buy from anywhere. On the other hand that isn't the case for lower wage workers. Also the next time you go to the grocery store look where the produce comes from particularly during the winter months. Also keep in mind Mexico is one of the largest purchasers of American goods.
That's the slippery slope I was referring to.

Reactions: JohnKBA
It is a shame that our government is pursuing a tariff policy that will put a disproportionate burden on the working class. Herbert Hoover would approve though.[/QUOTe This is one of the rich liberals in the Highlands area that wants to talk down to the rest of us while he peddles Mexican produce. Never mind the $50 billion trade deficit in Mexico's favor while our auto plants and other manufacturing went south. That's before you get into Mexican drug running and illegals coming in causing crime, dealing drugs and taking working class jobs. Then they wire America dollars to Mexico. Guys like you should be celebrating Trump fighting for the working class and working middle class.

So the people you consider inferior should be denied the right to vote? I thought liberals were tolerant and inclusive.

Liberals are about as tolerant as the Christians are loving when disagreeing with them. The first thing a liberal does is call you a racist. A Christian tells you that you are going to burn for eternity if you don't believe like they do.

I'm sorry to break the news to you but putting in tariffs will not create more American jobs, and will result in a heavier burden for middle class and below. That type of policy led to the Great Depression and amounts to a tax on the American people. Just because you are fond of Trump doesn't mean you need to blindly follow every policy position he takes. By the way, I think stopping the flow of drugs into the US is a great policy. Also, I've never been accused of being a liberal.

Also, I've never been accused of being a liberal.
Yeah,me neither.It's now become common practice by some to call all Dems liberal.Lol.
I'd like to think I lean left on some issues and right on others.Not making an assumption you're a Dem or a Republican.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
That's the slippery slope I was referring to.
Don't remember the actual numbers and too lazy to look them up. But, our trade deficit with Mexico is somewhere around 75 billion. (That's with a B) So, I can't believe a trade embargo would hurt our workers all that much and actually should be beneficial. As far as their essential products we will pay extra for, other than beer what else is going to dent our wallets?

Don't remember the actual numbers and too lazy to look them up. But, our trade deficit with Mexico is somewhere around 75 billion. (That's with a B) So, I can't believe a trade embargo would hurt our workers all that much and actually should be beneficial. As far as their essential products we will pay extra for, other than beer what else is going to dent our wallets?

If you think beer is the only essential product we import from Mexico, then it might be wise for you to spend a few minutes researching this issue. A tariff hurts workers because the cost of goods and services will rise. Assuming you are making $50k/year, you are essentially going to be taxed an additional $700/year. And tariff and trade embargo aren't not the same thing. Historically, tariffs have been bad policy for the US. It boggles my mind that a modern Republican president is the one actually floating this idea. "Our trade policy rests firmly on the foundation of free and open markets. I recognize . . . the inescapable conclusion that all of history has taught: The freer the flow of world trade, the stronger the tides of human progress and peace among nations. -- Ronald Reagan"

Just as a little primer on the effect of tariffs on the common man, here you go: "If tariffs grew by 10 percentage points across the board, as Trump’s transition team has proposed, the lowest-earning fifth of Americans could pay roughly $300 more per year for household purchases, while middle-income Americans would pay roughly $600-$700 more, the study estimates. That would be a substantial burden in the United States, where the median household income before tax is just a little more than $50,000 a year."

Reactions: Cue Card
Hank is all over it. We 'import' much more from Mexico than just beer and tarrifs historically speaking haven't worked. Negotiating a better deal with the current trade agreement is the key. Mexico has a lot to lose too if they balk, so in the end they'll sit down with the President and work things out.

Corps cut costs all the time to increase revenue. So some tariffs could be absorbed. They don't have to be rolled into the price. Just means less profit.

Mexico doesn't produce anything of note. That's part of their problem. I think avocado is one of their largest exports. California grows all our winter fruits.

Corps cut costs all the time to increase revenue. So some tariffs could be absorbed. They don't have to be rolled into the price. Just means less profit.
It's difficult for me to understand why any company would accept making LESS profit by no rolling an extra cost like a tarrif into the price. I don't understand that, so I guess that's why I'm not filthy rich.

It's difficult for me to understand why any company would accept making LESS profit by no rolling an extra cost like a tarrif into the price. I don't understand that, so I guess that's why I'm not filthy rich.

That's obviously their choice to make how to handle it. Some will raise and some won't. The cost of raw goods fluctuate all the time. Yet the end product doesn't.

We should do what is best for the country, not the corporations.

Mexico doesn't produce anything of note. That's part of their problem. I think avocado is one of their largest exports. California grows all our winter fruits.

You really should research this issue more. History has proven your first paragraph wrong and your second paragraph is just factually wrong.

My biggest problem with Mexico is they get a whole lot more from us than we get from them. I have been involved in 2 different businesses that they have been completely ruined with cheap labor. I am tired of hearing they will do jobs Americans won't do, they will do jobs Americans won't do for $5.00 an hour. My ancestors came over in the early 1900's and they didn't get welfare and food stamps.

Hank is all over it. We 'import' much more from Mexico than just beer and tarrifs historically speaking haven't worked. Negotiating a better deal with the current trade agreement is the key. Mexico has a lot to lose too if they balk, so in the end they'll sit down with the President and work things out.
Hank doesn't know what he's talking about on this. The reason for the threat of tariffs is to get Mexico to cooperate on keeping illegals out of the USA. Economic threats are necessary as a method of keeping Mexico's illegals, criminals and drug runners out of the USA. This is a much deeper subject than tariffs. It is pressure to get cooperation from Mexico. A diatribe on the effect of tariffs is shallow. The largest source of income for Mexico is money sent there from Mexicans in the USA. Then add the $50 billion trade deficit in Mexico's favor to that.

Hank doesn't know what he's talking about on this. The reason for the threat of tariffs is to get Mexico to cooperate on keeping illegals out of the USA. Economic threats are necessary as a method of keeping Mexico's illegals, criminals and drug runners out of the USA. This is a much deeper subject than tariffs. It is pressure to get cooperation from Mexico. A diatribe on the effect of tariffs is shallow. The largest source of income for Mexico is money sent there from Mexicans in the USA. Then add the $50 billion trade deficit in Mexico's favor to that.

Lol. The threat of tariffs may just be posturing by Trump, but he has a history of verbally supporting tariffs:

"Trump has been talking up the idea for years. In a 2011 book, he called for a 20 percent tax on "any foreign country shipping goods into the United States." During his campaign, he drew support from workers upset about the loss of manufacturing jobs and suggested a tax of 45 percent on imports from China and 35 percent on goods from Mexico."

I support anything that will get 20 million illegal aliens out of our country so that the 96 million Americans who can't find work can get a decent job. I think it is funny that all these people protesting Trump's moves don't realize that he is the President of the USA and not the President of Mexico. I also find it funny that the Democrats support the Muslim cause when their religion is inbedded in slavery, they think of women as 2nd class citizens and they think gays should be killed.

Reactions: American Male
Lol. The threat of tariffs may just be posturing by Trump, but he has a history of verbally supporting tariffs:

"Trump has been talking up the idea for years. In a 2011 book, he called for a 20 percent tax on "any foreign country shipping goods into the United States." During his campaign, he drew support from workers upset about the loss of manufacturing jobs and suggested a tax of 45 percent on imports from China and 35 percent on goods from Mexico."

WHO moved those jobs overseas ?
The Owners of the corporations so they can pay workers peanuts and
avoid unions, pay scant taxes.
Its been the American way since the 80s.

Reactions: earsky
If you think beer is the only essential product we import from Mexico, then it might be wise for you to spend a few minutes researching this issue. A tariff hurts workers because the cost of goods and services will rise. Assuming you are making $50k/year, you are essentially going to be taxed an additional $700/year. And tariff and trade embargo aren't not the same thing. Historically, tariffs have been bad policy for the US. It boggles my mind that a modern Republican president is the one actually floating this idea. "Our trade policy rests firmly on the foundation of free and open markets. I recognize . . . the inescapable conclusion that all of history has taught: The freer the flow of world trade, the stronger the tides of human progress and peace among nations. -- Ronald Reagan"

Just as a little primer on the effect of tariffs on the common man, here you go: "If tariffs grew by 10 percentage points across the board, as Trump’s transition team has proposed, the lowest-earning fifth of Americans could pay roughly $300 more per year for household purchases, while middle-income Americans would pay roughly $600-$700 more, the study estimates. That would be a substantial burden in the United States, where the median household income before tax is just a little more than $50,000 a year."
Americans currently without jobs probably won't complain too much if tariffs result in jobs staying home. What do we import from Mexico that isn't/can't be manufactured/grown/etc in the US? I hauled plane loads of goods from there for years. (And hauled very little into there other than raw goods that needed labor). And, just about everything brought from there was manufactured goods that could have been produced in the US. My point was that trade with Mexico from the US economy perspective is a loser. Ross Perot mentioned that Nafta would make a "giant sucking sound" as money and jobs flowed from the US. It's hard to argue that he was wrong.

Americans currently without jobs probably won't complain too much if tariffs result in jobs staying home. What do we import from Mexico that isn't/can't be manufactured/grown/etc in the US? I hauled plane loads of goods from there for years. (And hauled very little into there other than raw goods that needed labor). And, just about everything brought from there was manufactured goods that could have been produced in the US. My point was that trade with Mexico from the US economy perspective is a loser. Ross Perot mentioned that Nafta would make a "giant sucking sound" as money and jobs flowed from the US. It's hard to argue that he was wrong.

The problem is that you think this is going to suddenly create American jobs. I'm sorry to break the news but it won't have that effect. What it will do is raise prices for you and every other American consumer.

Reactions: earsky
Those jobs went overseas because Bill Clinton signed NAFTA enabling them to go overseas. Obama wanted to sign the TPP that would send the rest of them overseas. I would rather have jobs and higher prices instead of no jobs and lower prices.

Those jobs went overseas because Bill Clinton signed NAFTA enabling them to go overseas. Obama wanted to sign the TPP that would send the rest of them overseas. I would rather have jobs and higher prices instead of no jobs and lower prices.
He signed a bi-partisan bill that juiced everybody's 401k,but the bill was backed by all sides,including Labor.Problem was,labor didn't get the final draft.the loopholes that were added late to get all sides aboard,hurt labor big time.Labor would have never backed a bill that allowed manufacturing jobs to leave the country.That's got Republican written all over it.

He signed it,but let's not let the other side completely off the hook.

If what you say is true that is not a good defense for Bill Clinton to sign a bill that he didn't know about. The bill was specifically designed to send jobs out of the USA. Now the Dems wanted to double down and do it again with the TPP. The countries that would benefit the most are Japan, Malaysia and Thailand it would hurt the USA.

Throughout all of history, people have tried to reduce the amount of labor (and labor costs) to produce a given product. So unskilled jobs are either sent to lower wage places or are just replaced by robots and other automation. No tax or tariff policy is going to change that.

You really should research this issue more. History has proven your first paragraph wrong and your second paragraph is just factually wrong.

Research it like you have? You could have explained how I was wrong. But something tells me you know I'd shred it apart and make you look even more foolish.

Reactions: eastwood45789

Their number one export is cars and car parts made for the auto industry by the auto industry.

Yep. Kentucky lost all their apparel companies when NAFTA was signed. Fruit of the Loom being the largest if I remember correctly.

If what you say is true that is not a good defense for Bill Clinton to sign a bill that he didn't know about. The bill was specifically designed to send jobs out of the USA. Now the Dems wanted to double down and do it again with the TPP. The countries that would benefit the most are Japan, Malaysia and Thailand it would hurt the USA.
I wasn't defending that back stabbing son gun.I'm saying it was bi-partisan,mostly because of the loopholes added late that allowed corporations to move jobs out of this country.The bill's original intentions were to create free trade,but by the time it was ammended,it was a job killer.
I think Bob Dole was one of the Republican sponsors.My retort was to the notion that this was ALL Clinton's doing.It wasn't,but he stabbed labor in the back by signing it.

The worst part of this is that the Democrats were ready to do it again with the TPP, it seems they're more concerned with creating jobs in other countries instead of creating jobs here at home.

WHO moved those jobs overseas ?
The Owners of the corporations so they can pay workers peanuts and
avoid unions, pay scant taxes.
Its been the American way since the 80s.
Please tell us how you feel about Carrier, Ford, Chrysler and GM keeping and returning jobs to the USA as a result of Trump's efforts? The working class and working middle class voted for Trump and he is delivering the jobs.

The problem is that you think this is going to suddenly create American jobs. I'm sorry to break the news but it won't have that effect. What it will do is raise prices for you and every other American consumer.
As usual, Hank doesn't know what he's talking about. A third of US winter produce is produced in Yuma County, Arizona, with much produce coming from Texas, Florida , California and other countries including Guatemala. We don't need Mexico's produce, drugs, cartels, criminals and illegals. Google the wall between Mexico and Guatemala to keep Guatemala's freeloaders from coming into Mexico. Trump is doing a great job of promoting jobs and security in the USA. The working class and what's left of the working class have been victimized by bad trade agreements and illegal immigration. It's why the Democrats have been whipped in recent elections.

As usual, Hank doesn't know what he's talking about. A third of US winter produce is produced in Yuma County, Arizona, with much produce coming from Texas, Florida , California and other countries including Guatemala. We don't need Mexico's produce, drugs, cartels, criminals and illegals. Google the wall between Mexico and Guatemala to keep Guatemala's freeloaders from coming into Mexico. Trump is doing a great job of promoting jobs and security in the USA. The working class and what's left of the working class have been victimized by bad trade agreements and illegal immigration. It's why the Democrats have been whipped in recent elections.
Apparently my local Kroger store didn't understand your memo. As I'm posting this I'm staring at 2 Bell Peppers, an Avocado and a bunch of Green Onions that say "Mexico" on them.

And that's just what I took out of the fridge to make brunch with. Good post though.:cool:

Reactions: JohnKBA
Apparently my local Kroger store didn't understand your memo. As I'm posting this I'm staring at 2 Bell Peppers, an Avocado and a bunch of Green Onions that say "Mexico" on them.

And that's just what I took out of the fridge to make brunch with. Good post though.:cool:
You forgot the broccoli from Arizona, the tangelos from Florida, the oranges from California, and the apples from Michigan and Washington. Eat healthy.

You forgot the broccoli from Arizona, the tangelos from Florida, the oranges from California, and the apples from Michigan and Washington. Eat healthy.
Yes. Nothing says "tasty brunch" like broccoli apples and tangelos. :eek:

Now, back to my "Huevos Rancheros. And since it's past noon, an ice cold Corona beer with a Mexican lime in it. Then at 1 pm I'm going to enjoy watching the Cards play NC State on my Flatscreen TV imported from.....you guessed it, Mexico.

Yes. Nothing says "tasty brunch" like broccoli apples and tangelos. :eek:

Now, back to my "Huevos Rancheros. And since it's past noon, an ice cold Corona beer with a Mexican lime in it. Then at 1 pm I'm going to enjoy watching the Cards play NC State on my Flatscreen TV imported from.....you guessed it, Mexico.
That's all good. Don't forget the sombrero and senorita.:p We just don't want their drugs, drug dealers, criminals and illegals. Or the worm in the tequila.

Go visit the produce section of your grocery of choice and you'll find plenty of items from Mexico. Enjoy the tariffs since you are such a big fan of them. Almost every reputable economist in addition to The Godfather of modern conservatism ,Ronald Reagan, disagree.

Reactions: Louisvillian
If Mexico doesn't cooperate on the wall, illegal immigration and drug running, they will suffer economically . President Trump was elected to bring the working class and middle working class back and to stop illegal immigration and illegal drugs as well as criminals coming in. That is what we are all grateful for.

So you support getting products from Mexico and then having Mexicans employed in the USA to stock our shelves. We get automobiles from Germany & Japan but we don't have 20 million Germans or Japanese over here working on them.

Reactions: eastwood45789
Their number one export is cars and car parts made for the auto industry by the auto industry.
Correct, and the reason US branded cars and parts are made there is because they have cheap labor, US Corporations have no soul, and the US has no tariffs on Mexican exports. Nafta will eventually result in all US manufacturing being moved to Mexico. In order to compete for manufacturing jobs the US will have to lower factory safety standards, environmental standards, and wages to Mexican levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT