ADVERTISEMENT

Ol Big Blue and Ashley Judd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to imagine that McConnell and the rest of the "lifer" politicians are going to vote themselves out of a job. Lol.
It would be a tough sell, but all they need to stop and think about is the benefits after they reach the max amount of terms they can be elected. A well compensated lifetime paycheck while still being young enough to work in the private sector as consultant or whatever.

That's how to sell it. Point out the incredible benefits of term limits and the other doors which it could open for them. That's how I would approach it. Turn the discussion into a positive one instead of focusing on the negative aspect of losing a job.

It would be a tough sell, but all they need to stop and think about is the benefits after they reach the max amount of terms they can be elected. A well compensated lifetime paycheck while still being young enough to work in the private sector as consultant or whatever.

That's how to sell it. Point out the incredible benefits of term limits and the other doors which it could open for them. That's how I would approach it. Turn the discussion into a positive one instead of focusing on the negative aspect of losing a job.

Politicians are addicted to the power it brings them. They won't willingly listen to rational analysis of why term limits are good.

Reactions: BPGhost
Politicians are addicted to the power it brings them. They won't willingly listen to rational analysis of why term limits are good.
I believe that, but I also know it's happened before. At one time, a President could run for as many times he wanted. A term limit was passed to cap the President to 2 four year terms. Maybe we could visit that same path again except make it 3 term limits for Senators (18 years) and 9 for Representatives (18 years) After that long, most should be willing to let it go to pursue other challenges.

Last edited:
Corporations employ real people and many are paid well with benefits. They must make money or they will not exist. The cost of taxes is incorporated into their products and services. The Democrats don't care about the working class, working middle class and small businesses. It's why they voted for Trump.
And they exist all the same - and very well in most cases - despite having such an "oppressive" tax system in place. Are you suggesting that if the corporations that avoid paying their rightful share of taxes, were compelled to do so, they would cease to exist? Furthermore, democrats being interested in compelling them to pay their fair share and enacting common sense regulations to attempt to ensure that they behave responsibly, are direct examples of them caring about the working class, as well as all Americans.

There are a multitude of reasons that people voted for trump and, against their self interests, but I think we both know it wasn't because of the corporate tax rate.

Man, If only I could get my liberal friends to understand that one fact, there would be less stress in my life. All my liberal friends do is complain about corporations not paying their fair share in taxes. I keep trying to tell them that it doesn't matter what they are taxed at, they just push that cost off to the consumer in one way or the other. That's how our economy works. Corporations in general are greedy so no matter the amount taxed, the consumer ends up paying it. Now in order to become more competitive, the corporations will move to where the tax they have to push towards the consumer is less so they can make more people buy their products so they can make more money. Again, it is greed that pushes that agenda.
That's true however the extra costs that gets "pushed off to the consumer" acts like a consumption tax for those consumers that buy that corporation's product -which most conservatives love - rather than an across the board tax, which occurs when there is a revenue shortfall that all Americans have to share the burden in.

Corporations are greedy in general, so the notion that giving them larger tax breaks will result in savings for the tax payer is false. It only, and always, ends up in higher dividends for shareholders, and bigger bonuses for executives.

I believe that, but I also know it's happened before. At one time, a President could run for as many times he wanted. A term limit was passed to cap the President to 2 four year terms. Maybe we could visit that same path again except make it 3 term limits for Senators (18 years) and 9 for Representatives (18 years) After that long, most should be willing to let it go to pursue other challenges.
It makes sense why the presidential term limits were enacted on many levels - but particularly because it was congress' way to curb the executive branch's power, while strengthening theirs. Who is in a position to mandate that to congress? Only us, and as I said if trump uses his position as leverage to get that done, his presidency would be successful on that event alone. I'm not holding my breath though - lol.

I also think that they should change the length of House members' terms. At two years, the campaign cycle never ends and all these people do is continually hold fund raisers rather than effectively attempt to govern. Make the term either 3 or 4 years and cap it at 12 years, and cap senators at the same. There is no reason anyone needs to be in congress for more than 12 years.

I always thought that 2 year term was a joke. What you said about never ending campaign cycles is 100%. I work for the federal gov and I've seen simple things in policy take longer than 2 years to go through. Its definitely a disadvantage to the people cause even a great man will be more consumed with getting back in than the issues at hand in that posistion. I also like the 10-12 yrs limit, I mean I know it's the government but if you can't get anything done in a decade then what's my tax dollars paying you for?

Reactions: BPGhost
That's true however the extra costs that gets "pushed off to the consumer" acts like a consumption tax for those consumers that buy that corporation's product -which most conservatives love - rather than an across the board tax, which occurs when there is a revenue shortfall that all Americans have to share the burden in.

Corporations are greedy in general, so the notion that giving them larger tax breaks will result in savings for the tax payer is false. It only, and always, ends up in higher dividends for shareholders, and bigger bonuses for executives.
That sounds like something that a young Oscar Combs would say. Corporations view taxes as an expense that must be paid. It is incorporated into the price of their product or service. It takes away from their investment in labor, material and other inputs, and inflates prices to the consumer.

That sounds like something that a young Oscar Combs would say. Corporations view taxes as an expense that must be paid. It is incorporated into the price of their product or service. It takes away from their investment in labor, material and other inputs, and inflates prices to the consumer.

Tax is based upon earnings. And it has nothing to do with the cost of goods.

Two terms for a Senator (12 yrs) and three terms for the House (6 yrs) is plenty IMO

Watch the movie "The Distinguished Gentleman" and you'll see what an "honest" con job Congress is. Yeah, it's fiction, but it makes the point.

The shorter their terms, the better.

She was at the SECT and got mad because someone told her we like trump. She got all butt hurt about it and basically wanted safe spaces inside arenas. Don't know about the NCAAT though.

Reactions: eastwood45789
She was at the SECT and got mad because someone told her we like trump. She got all butt hurt about it and basically wanted safe spaces inside arenas. Don't know about the NCAAT though.
ashley-judd-medusa1.jpg

AKA Snowflake.

Reactions: Cal4Pres.
What is this based on? Nearly all of the Kaintucky fans I know are dems who voted for Clinton. Granted, it is a small sample size of approximately a hundred people, or so, but they are too dumb for independent thought. They do what they think they are supposed to do. I know, I recently had to unfollow them.

Follow the latest election?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT