ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
While my list has expanded I think the next UofL coach will come from the list of 21 coaches below. My top three choices are current NBA coaches who have all coached at the D-I NCAA level. I will list them in order of preference:

1) Brad Stevens
2) Billy Donovan
3) Fred Hoiberg

There are currently 351 NCAA Division I basketball coaches. If we do not hire one of the NBA coaches listed I think our coach will come from one of the following 18 current NCAA coaches. I have grouped them in alphabetical order in two separate groups. Those listed in the “A” group are the top-tier candidates and the new UofL coach will most likely come from this group.

Those that are listed in the “B” group are excellent coaches but are listed as a “B” candidate due to a smaller sample size as a head coach, lower winning percentage and other factors.

“A” Candidates (Listed Alphabetically)

Steve Alford
Mike Brey
Mark Few
Chris Mack
Gregg Marshall
Cuonzo Martin
Jay Wright

“B” Candidates (Listed Alphabetically)

Tommy Amaker
Chris Beard
Kermit Davis
Bryce Drew
Scott Drew
Chris Holtmann
Bobby Hurley
Greg McDermott
Shaka Smart
Mike White
Buzz Williams

I look forward to any and all comments. Have fun!

While my list has expanded I think the next UofL coach will come from the list of 21 coaches below. My top three choices are current NBA coaches who have all coached at the D-I NCAA level. I will list them in order of preference:

1) Brad Stevens
2) Billy Donovan
3) Fred Hoiberg

There are currently 351 NCAA Division I basketball coaches. If we do not hire one of the NBA coaches listed I think our coach will come from one of the following 18 current NCAA coaches. I have grouped them in alphabetical order in two separate groups. Those listed in the “A” group are the top-tier candidates and the new UofL coach will most likely come from this group.

Those that are listed in the “B” group are excellent coaches but are listed as a “B” candidate due to a smaller sample size as a head coach, lower winning percentage and other factors.

“A” Candidates (Listed Alphabetically)

Steve Alford
Mike Brey
Mark Few
Chris Mack
Gregg Marshall
Cuonzo Martin
Jay Wright

“B” Candidates (Listed Alphabetically)

Tommy Amaker
Chris Beard
Kermit Davis
Bryce Drew
Scott Drew
Chris Holtmann
Bobby Hurley
Greg McDermott
Shaka Smart
Mike White
Buzz Williams

I look forward to any and all comments. Have fun!
Id love to have Mike Brey, Mack, or Jay Wright. I think all of those are attainable.

Top three are great but not sure they are leaving. Id be thrilled to death to have Stevens or Donovan

Last edited:
Id ove to have Mike Brey, Mack, or Jay Wright. I think all of those are attainable.

Top three are great but not sure they are leaving. Id be thrilled to death to have Stevens or Donovan
Hoiberg is not chopped liver (see Iowa State resume) and the NBA hasn’t worked out too well for him! Plus, he’s only about 46-48 years old.

Hoiberg is not chopped liver (see Iowa State resume) and the NBA hasn’t worked out too well for him! Plus, he’s only about 46-48 years old.
Yea, he's never even crossed my mind. Would be a good hire.
Id love to know who Eric Crawford heard that may come here. After last night I'm ready and hope Padgett remains on staff in some capacity

Don’t want to force Padgett on anyone (see Steve Kragthorpe)! Jurich forced a coach (think it was Jeff Brohm) and that didn’t turn out too well. DP will be just fine, bright future.

Crawford might tell that name someday but I bet he was sworn to secrecy. Reading between the lines I think he knows but don’t expect that to come out. But, if I was a betting man I’d say it was Mack. His name has just been tossed around way too much!

Don’t want to force Padgett on anyone (see Steve Kragthorpe)! Jurich forced a coach (think it was Jeff Brohm) and that didn’t turn out too well. DP will be just fine, bright future.

Crawford might tell that name someday but I bet he was sworn to secrecy. Reading between the lines I think he knows but don’t expect that to come out. But, if I was a betting man I’d say it was Mack. His name has just been tossed around way too much!
This hire, if Tyra makes it, will make or break him. If he hits a homerun he has won the naysayers for a while....if not, then its obvious what happens. I think he needs to hit this one out of the park. I hope it happens soon.

Hoiberg would be a dynamite hire IMO. I've always thought he would go back to Iowa State if Steve Prohm can't get it going. He might decide to get out of the pros ahead of getting canned. Both he and Chris Mack run an uptempo offense. My ultimate would be Brad Stevens, but that is a pipe dream given what he has with the Celtics.

Sorry to disappoint but the man that was available and wanted to come here was Crean...

Make Jay Wright say no....then go give Chris Mack a 10 year contract and be done with this search.
I like Chris Mack for 2 reasons. He is my favorite btw.

I like the type of kid he recruits and if he comes here, I can see him staying here as long as he coaches which would be awesome. We don't go through coaches like a lot of programs and let's stay that way

I like Chris Mack for 2 reasons. He is my favorite btw.

I like the type of kid he recruits and if he comes here, I can see him staying here as long as he coaches which would be awesome. We don't go through coaches like a lot of programs and let's stay that way

Agreed. I see people on here posting about the coaching search all the time and I get that, its exciting to talk about and it gives us hope and something to look forward to with this program....which is something we don't really have right now as this entire season could have been really memorable and really special but has somehow taken a turn where before the season started I had no expectations and knew we were just treading water and turned it into a season where I can't help but feel really disappointed....but I digress.

This coaching search begins and ends with Chris Mack and there's nothing really to talk about unless he turns us down, which I don't think he will.

That’s BS and you know it. On Sept 26-29th, Coach Mack or any current Div 1 coach was busy getting their teams ready for the season. Any coach at that time who wanted to quit on his current roster and team to come to U of L considering the shit that just hit the fan was not a coach worth his weight in salt. So in essence you’re saying Mack was going to leave Blueitt, Macura, Kanter and a roster full of sophs to come to U of L?

FWIW, there is a lot of chatter that the wheels are in motion for Mack to be the next head coach. I’ve heard this from multiple people that have provided solid info in the past. Hope that it’s true. He’s been the guy I’ve wanted to replace Pitino even before the FBI stuff.

That’s BS and you know it. On Sept 26-29th, Coach Mack or any current Div 1 coach was busy getting their teams ready for the season. Any coach at that time who wanted to quit on his current roster and team to come to U of L considering the shit that just hit the fan was not a coach worth his weight in salt. So in essence you’re saying Mack was going to leave Blueitt, Macura, Kanter and a roster full of sophs to come to U of L?

Believe what you want but it is most certainly not BS. Louisville is Mack's dream job.

There's also been an extreme amount of public outreach for Mack ever since that time.

This is a known thing. Just connect the dots.

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint but the man that was available and wanted to come here was Crean...
Very well may have been, but I read his tweets to imply it was a guy that had a current coaching gig back in Sept/Oct. and was still willing to come.

Very well may have been, but I read his tweets to imply it was a guy that had a current coaching gig back in Sept/Oct. and was still willing to come.
Well think about this way. If Mack had made that comment and none of Xavier’s fans or players have heard about it yet than he’s got better secret service than the President (which ain’t saying much).

I'll just repost what I just posted on the premium page...

You can come up with your own [hiring matrix], but this is mine. And I reserve the right to change my mind if we win 3 outta the next 4, but that ain't likely.

Left is better in my matrix than right, higher better than lower. I make no consideration for the likelihood of being able to land any of these guys. If Jurich was managing the job, all of these guys would be candidates except for the coaches named specifically in the bottom row. This hire is on Tyra as much as it's on the hire himself.

You'll notice that many of the names I see mentioned on this topic are in my LEAST desirable cell (bottom-right). Of course, I give what I think is the appropriate weight to "safety". If you don't, you do so at your own risk. I'm also considering strongly the issue of name recognition. Many names mentioned you could ask ten guys on the street, and they wouldn't know two of them. People aren't gonna flock to see somebody they don't know and if it looks like Tyra's trying to save money.

The more you settle in the bottom row and to the right, the more appealing it is to simply give Padgett a contract you can get out of easily. He has no negotiating leverage, and he'll sign whatever you put in front of him with minimal buyout. I esp. want that considered if safety becomes paramount. None of these up-and-comers are safe IMO. Look at the last guy who got you in trouble; no one fits that profile more than Jordan Fair...

Coaching%20Hire%20Matrix_zpstccrheaq.jpg

Last edited:
I always look forward to Zipp's posts. There are times I go "damn he's right didn't think about that angle", there's times when I'm like Col. Doolitte in the movie Pearl Harbor where he's chewing the two pilots out and says, "that's bullsh.. but it's very good bullsh..." Never boring though. Here are the last 3 coaches or coordinators who when hired said this at their hiring pressers, "I'm a players coach." 1--Kragthorpe 2--Sirmon 3--Padgett. Just get us a coach who gets the team as mentally tough as CRP did again and who isn't a "player's coach."

Reactions: zipp
Believe what you want but it is most certainly not BS. Louisville is Mack's dream job.

There's also been an extreme amount of public outreach for Mack ever since that time.

This is a known thing. Just connect the dots.

This is the same as I’ve been told. He would’ve coached this year to secure the job. There was just too little time and too many moving parts to make that a reality.

This is the same as I’ve been told. He would’ve coached this year to secure the job. There was just too little time and too many moving parts to make that a reality.
I hope to God you all are right. Quite honestly id almost rather have him over anyone right ...because of longevity, and his wife's Louisville ties

Again, YOU guys know who Chris Mack is. Most U of L fans I guarantee you couldn't pick him out of a line-up. And I doubt that many even know who he is, i.e., recognize his name.

Contrast that to Rick Pitino's profile when he was hired in 2001. On the heels of two U of L losing seasons in three, playing in Freedom Hall, and in freaking Conference USA. Pitino personified a home run hire, and he was hired by a great athletic director.

If you're settling for a guy like Chris Mack--I don't care what his potential is--you're saying that hiring Chris Mack is all your new AD is capable of. I don't necessarily disagree with that attitude, but I wanna put this SOB to the test and see if his standards are as "impeccable" as I say sarcastically...

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg

Again, YOU guys know who Chris Mack is. Most U of L fans I guarantee you couldn't pick him out of a line-up. And I doubt that many even know who he is, i.e., recognize his name.

Contrast that to Rick Pitino's profile when he was hired in 2001. On the heels of two U of L losing seasons in three, playing in Freedom Hall, and in freaking Conference USA. Pitino personified a home run hire, and he was hired by a great athletic director.

If you're settling for a guy like Chris Mack--I don't care what his potential is--you're saying that hiring Chris Mack is all your new AD is capable of. I don't necessarily disagree with that attitude, but I wanna put this SOB to the test and see if his standards are as "impeccable" as I say sarcastically...

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg

So you're basically putting him in a lose-lose situation by saying that if we don't get someone famous like Billy D, Wright, or Stevens, then Tyra is a joke.

Got it.

I find it hilarious that you consider Mack a nobody. He has the #4 team in the country. The name has been louder around all social media since September and if you ask 80% of the fanbase, they know exactly who he is because his wife's Louisville ties.

This is nonsense.

Please don't be the fan base that thinks Brad Stevens is possibility...thats all I ask. Don't be the fan base on twitter and facebook thats going to get ridiculed for thinking Brad Stevens might come to Louisville. It is 1,000% certainly not going to happen.

I'm also surprised to see Tony Bennett on anybody's list. I have no desire to suffer through game after game of having to watch Tony Bennett's system...no thank you, don't care.

Anybody who doesn't think Chris Mack would be a "homerun hire" needs to really re-evaluate some stuff.

Still trying to figure out why people are saying Mack ahead of Smart or Marshall, two coaches with FFs under their belt. Mack would be a great get, but as I've said on other threads, he is a notch below Shaka and Marshall.

So you're basically putting him in a lose-lose situation by saying that if we don't get someone famous like Billy D, Wright, or Stevens, then Tyra is a joke.

Got it...
Where's the other "lose"? He can always hire Stevens, Donovan, or Wright and make me look like a screwball for doubting Tyra's ability. I'll take that chance.
...I find it hilarious that you consider Mack a nobody. He has the #4 team in the country. The name has been louder around all social media since September and if you ask 80% of the fanbase, they know exactly who he is because his wife's Louisville ties.

This is nonsense.
His wife is far less known than he is. A few of you guys need to get out more...

Pitino was also unemployed when he was hired. The only “name-brand” home run hires mentioned (Donovan and Wright) are gainfully employed right now. Mack was the best potential candidate before the latest scandal. To hire him in the midst of the latest uncertainty would qualify as a homerun.
Doesn't surprise me you'd try to dummy down athletics to help the clown show look good. You're their leading apologist...

parade%20of%20fools%202_zpsdkfvdkfu.jpg

Still trying to figure out why people are saying Mack ahead of Smart or Marshall, two coaches with FFs under their belt. Mack would be a great get, but as I've said on other threads, he is a notch below Shaka and Marshall.

Smart’s 27-33 record at Texas this season and last has taken the shine off.

As for Marshall, no one doubts his skills as a head coach but he has a really bad reputation as being a prick to deal with. Can he handle a job like UofL where you are part coach and part senator?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT